• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Glimpse_Dog

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Now that we know the console specs and we're roughly 6-8 months from launch - the next anticipated milestone for next gen is E3 or rather online replacement events around the E3 timeframe.

Not everyone has committed to one of these yet but I can imagine most of the big players will have some sort of online show, if not in early June, then a month or so before or after. For simplicities sake and for the purpose of this thread I'm just going to refer to this period as "E3".

So...we know the specs, we know roughly the launch (late 2020), let's predict the most important part - the games. What do you think we'll see promoted at each or the major players' "E3" presentations?

My opinions...

Microsoft

Halo Infinite (Cross-gen) - Launch period
Bleeding Edge (Cross-gen) - Launch period
Age of Empires 4 (Cross-gen) - Launch period
Killer Instinct 2 (Cross-gen) - Launch period
Perfect Dark - Launch Period

Hellblade 2 - 2021
Fable - Teaser/No-date

Demoes of Forza Horizon 4 and Minecraft Dungeons with raytracing

Batman (Cross-gen/Multi-platform) - Q4 2020
Elden Ring (Cross-gen/Multi-platform) - Q1 2021
Superman (Teaser/Multi-platform) - 2021

Sony

Horizon 2 - Launch Period
Ratchet and Clank - Launch Period
Demon Souls OR MGS Remake - Launch Period
Socom F2P - Launch Period
Teaser of BIG sequel (GoW or Spiderman, probably spiderman)

TLoU2 Remastered - Within 6 months
Ghost of Tsushima Remastered - Within 6 months
Wild - 2021

AC Vikings - (Cross-gen/Multi-Platform) - Q1 2021
Harry Potter - (Muli-Platform) - 2021

Ubisoft

Gods and Monsters - Q4 2020
Watch Dogs Legion - Q4 2020
AC Vikings - Q1 2021
New Far Cry - Q1 2021
Skull and Bones 2021
BG&E2 - 2022

RB6 Quarantine mysteriously absent (want to avoid bad taste/timing)

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I'm gonna say Street Fighter VI as exclusively next-gen (PS5/XSX/PC), out in Early 2021. The supposed RE spin-off that was originally RE8 could go either way (cross-gen or only next-gen).

OP
OP
Glimpse_Dog

Glimpse_Dog

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm gonna say Street Fighter VI as exclusively next-gen (PS5/XSX/PC), out in Early 2021. The supposed RE spin-off that was originally RE8 could go either way (cross-gen or only next-gen).

Yeh it's tough to say what will be next gen only or cross-gen. We know MS will have mostly cross-gen titles (for 12-18 months), while Sony will focus on next-gene exclusives with games like dreams carrying across, and probably some remasters.

3rd party is really hard to tell though. I went with the safe option and assumed they'll want to keep most games cross gen for a year-ish, to ensure most copies sold. There could be exceptions with 3rd party exclusives or titles that started development at just the right time.

Emick81

Jan 17, 2018
EA UFC 4. Foto realistic GFX and a new animation system that could not be done on last gen hardware..

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
I think it's more a hope than a prediction, but I want the ps5 to be a color besides black. Go full PlayStation blue or even bring back the grey of the original.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
Horizon 2 for launch period seems optimistic. I do expect BP game to be a release tittle though.

Your other guesses seem reasonable.

By the way, wouldn't releasing TLOU2, and GOT be considered ports instead of remasters?
Death Stranded isn't considered a remaster on pc.

OP
OP
Glimpse_Dog

Glimpse_Dog

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Horizon 2 for launch period seems optimistic. I do expect BP game to be a release tittle though.

Your other guesses seem reasonable.

By the way, wouldn't releasing TLOU2, and GOT be considered ports instead of remasters?
Death Stranded isn't considered a remaster on pc.

I guess, I expect some graphical upgrades though. Also, the original TLoU was called Remastered when it came out on PS4.

OP
OP
Glimpse_Dog

Glimpse_Dog

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The Last of Us Part II: 29.05.2020
Ghost of Tsushima: 26.06.2020

I think every major first party game will be available on PlayStation 5 day one. You won't have to pay anything for a "remastered" version of a game you already own.

That'd be nice - I hope those games get some sort of patch with better textures and higher frame rate for PS5.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
I don't think Microsoft would release Perfect Dark and Halo at around the same time, unless the new Perfect Dark game is truly wildly different than we expect. I don't see why they'd release two sci-fi FPSes to compete with each other.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Could definitely see Horizon, they'll have had almost 4 years since the original released to have worked on it. 3 if you count development since the DLC.

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
New Call of Duty is probably gonna be cross-gen and sell a ton and be hyped up by both the PlayStation and Xbox camps if Activision doesn't sign any exclusive marketing deals. I think being a fresh generational start, they might avoid exclusivity unless I missed something and they're locked into PlayStation for a set period of time. I actually expect the "current" gen version of the game to launch early October with the "next gen" port out alongside the new consoles at their release dates.

I get the feeling Bethesda will make the call to release next-gen ports of Doom Eternal separate from current-gen versions. Maybe include the current-gen season pass content in for free, even if it's not all quite released by the time next gen rolls out.

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland
That'd be nice - I hope those games get some sort of patch with better textures and higher frame rate for PS5.
I'm sure they will. The Last of Us sold better on PlayStation 4 than on PlayStation 3. Sony will want to sell the game to PlayStation 5 owners.

I'm not worried about AAA games, but more about indie and AA games. Not only AAA games will work on PlayStation 5, but I think most of them will get a patch to look better (or at least run at 4K/60 FPS) on PlayStation 5.

But will Danganronpa 2 and 3 run on PlayStation 5? Will all my local multiplayer games (Towerfall, the PlayLink games, Speedrunner, Hyper Jam, Lethal League Blaze, Tricky Towers, Gang Beasts, ...) run on PlayStation 5? I'm really worried about those games right now.

Oct 26, 2017
Any third party and multiplatform game releasing from Holiday 2020 to Holiday 2021 will be cross-gen.

Maybe the next Battlefield is next gen only but I think the rest is cross-gen

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
I think everyone will have some really impressive and bold conferences, full of next gen games. Except for EA and Bethesda.

Bethesda in particular I'm expecting to see commenters online turn chat panes into a shitshow. No Starfield, confusion over what Arkane and Tango are even up to, nothing much from id, but please enjoy more Fallout 76 and Elder Scrolls Online.

Sony and Microsoft I think will both knock it out of the park, and for those of us who like to invest in only one console each gen it's going to be a REALLY hard decision this time. Ubisoft, by way of recent bad luck, now have a huge number of AAA highly anticipated games to showcase for imminent release, so I think they'll also have one of their best showings of all time =)

Oct 27, 2017
It took about a year in a non Coronavirus world for TLOU to appear on PS4 after PS3. Granted it would be easier to port to PS5 I imagine, but I don't think there is a chance in hell ND can push out a PS5 version in a matter of 5 months or so. That's crazy talk unless they put in the bare minimum effort and simply up the resolution to 4K from 1440p or something.

Noctis0Stella

Mar 17, 2019
Final Fantasy VII Remake will be also a cross-gen title. Therefore i will wait till the ps5 version comes out.
This also counts to ghost of tsushima and elden ring.

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
Series X:

Launch:
-Halo Infinite
-Forza Motorsport 8
-New IP from XGS Global Publishing
-Old IP from XGS Global Publishing (would love for it to be KI4)

Launch window:
-Flight Simulator
-Gears Tactics

Enhanced "old" games:
-Gears 5
-Bleeding Edge
-Sea of Thieves
-Forza Horizon 4

The Initiative's game around launch window? That's optimistic 😄
Wait. Were you answering the OP there? Is this a pseudo-confirmation of Perfect Dark?
🤔

Last edited:

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Any third party and multiplatform game releasing from Holiday 2020 to Holiday 2021 will be cross-gen.

Maybe the next Battlefield is next gen only but I think the rest is cross-gen

I think Starfield might be the first big third-party game to be exclusively next-gen. Bethesda knows that it will sell for years anyway.

Wait. Were you answering the OP there? Is this a pseudo-confirmation of Perfect Dark?
🤔

I mean, who else but The Initiative would make it?

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, who else but The Initiative would make it?
I was thinking more about the fact that a new Perfect Dark is in development. I agree that The Initiative would be a good fit for the IP.

I know there have been some subtle hints dropped in the past, but that one seemed pretty specific.

Last edited:

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
I was thinking more about the fact that a new Perfect Dark is in development. I agree that The Iniative would be a good fit for the IP.

I know there have been some subtle hints dropped in the past, but that one seemed pretty specific.

Oh. My bad. Sometimes I get confused...

I mean, I'm not going to say "it's happening" because I don't want to get that sort of attention but I wouldn't say the hints have been that subtle. It's a pretty open secret, at this point.

Desfrog

Oct 29, 2017
Xbox: Halo Infinite (cross gen)
Forza 8 (cross gen)

PS5: Ratchet and Clank (next gen only)
Demon Souls (next gen only)

A big selling point for Sony will be having games built around next gen technology vs Microsoft who will have to design their games with Xbox One in mind. Although Sony won't have a juggernaut like Halo on day one (Horizon 2 won't release till early 2021).

Last edited:

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
What do you think we'll see promoted at each or the major players' "E3" presentations?

Don't forget Cyberpunk 2077; that will be a massive release for all platforms. I think CP2077 and Assassins Creed will be the first 3rd party releases that will give us more insight into how both consoles are performing and how developers are approaching certain optimisations.

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
Oh. My bad. Sometimes I get confused...

I mean, I'm not going to say "it's happening" because I don't want to get that sort of attention but I wouldn't say the hints have been that subtle. It's a pretty open secret, at this point.
I don't like believing in "open secrets". I want to believe though. Because getting Perfect Dark back would be rad as hell.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Xbox: Halo Infinite (cross gen)
Forza 8 (cross gen)

PS5: Ratchet and Clank (next gen only)
Demon Souls (next gen only)

A big selling point for Sony will be having games built around next gen technology vs Microsoft who will have to design their games with Xbox One on mind. Although Sony won't have a juggernaut like Halo on day one (Horizon 2 won't release till early 2021).

I mean, at this rate, who's to say "day one" isn't "early 2021"?

I get that we all want Ratchet but I question the logic of making a family/kid-friendly IP a launch title exclusively for an expensive, enthusiast-grade system.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
I knew somebody would mention Knack.

Knack wasn't an established IP with sales expectations that are as high as Ratchet's post-reboot. I'd also wager the budget for Knack was significantly lower than that for even the last Ratchet game, much less a next-gen console showcase one.

Desfrog

Oct 29, 2017
I mean, at this rate, who's to say "day one" isn't "early 2021"?

I get that we all want Ratchet but I question the logic of making a family/kid-friendly IP a launch title exclusively for an expensive, enthusiast-grade system.
I'd actually say Ratchet is fairly unique in that it appeals to both younger audiences and the hardcore, which makes it basically the perfect launch title. Visually it would be quite unique compared to other games at launch as well.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
I knew somebody would mention Knack.

Knack wasn't an established IP with sales expectations that are as high as Ratchet's post-reboot. I'd also wager the budget for Knack was significantly lower than that for even the last Ratchet game, much less a next-gen console showcase one.
So ? This proves my point....if a unknown average IP like Knack can sell at launch, a quality R&C will have no problem moving units.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
What "can sell" means is different for different games, though. I mean, of course it will sell some copies.

For a game with what is likely a higher budget than even the 2016 reboot, Knack-like sales numbers might not be enough.

OP
OP
Glimpse_Dog

Glimpse_Dog

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
What "can sell" means is different for different games, though. I mean, of course it will sell some copies.

For a game with what is likely a higher budget than even the 2016 reboot, Knack-like sales numbers might not be enough.

I feel like Ratchet is a good launch title as it's traditionally been a graphical powerhouse and would look really really nice on PS5 with raytracing. It's also pretty popular with core fans.

speedomodel

Oct 27, 2017
The Initiative's game around launch window? That's optimistic 😄
giphy.gif