• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

JazzmanZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Why would you want e3 back?

Did you forget that hundreds of journalists details got leaked there?

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
Whatever happens I just hope it's something better than that utterly dreadful summer games event that was on last year.

Mengetsu

Oct 27, 2017
If E3 can be digital please make it happen. I can't stand the summer event. All that news stretched out over 3 months that could of been revealed in a normal E3 week.

Jan 15, 2019
I can't imagine California will be in any position to allow any sort of in person event of that nature even by June, and I doubt any of the companies or outlets involved will want to send their employees.
LA just opened up outdoor dining again despite having also recently loosened air regulations to let crematoriums burn more bodies more quickly, so I wouldn't put it past them tbh.

That said, I'm not totally sure why E3 even needs to be a live event. You can let people download demos of newly announced games from their homes, and the live presentations are more well-known for the reliable compilations of cringe they produce every year than for being a compelling way to show off upcoming games and consoles.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
LA just opened up outdoor dining again despite having also recently loosened air regulations to let crematoriums burn more bodies more quickly, so I wouldn't put it past them tbh.

That said, I'm not totally sure why E3 even needs to be a live event. You can let people download demos of newly announced games from their homes, and the live presentations are more well-known for the reliable compilations of cringe they produce every year than for being a compelling way to show off upcoming games and consoles.

Opening up outdoor dining is a really far cry from opening up a convention center to hold events involving thousands of people.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
They shouldn't do it this year, but I honestly don't want E3 to be over forever. It was always a cool thing to look forward to every year.

RayCharlizard

Nov 2, 2017
I imagine it'll be a digital thing but no way is there an in-person event in June, vaccinations won't be nearly far enough along by then.

Jan 15, 2019
Opening up outdoor dining is a really far cry from opening up a convention center to hold events involving thousands of people.
Definitely, but it's still 4 months away and the city is already showing an impressive propensity for ignoring common sense safety measures.

But yes, I'd still give it like a 20% chance of happening at best, and as said I think it'd be dumb to go ahead with.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
E3 is dead three times over:

1) Because of Covid
2) Because of the journalist leak
3) Because publishers now have gone through a year without appending money on expos and realizing they were a waste

We just have to hope things are scheduled to fall within 2 weeks or so instead of scattershot across 3 months.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Would be very surprised if they haven't already planned for it to be on online experience this year. They should have had plenty of time to sort it this year.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
E3 is dead three times over:

1) Because of Covid
2) Because of the journalist leak
3) Because publishers now have gone through a year without appending money on expos and realizing they were a waste

We just have to hope things are scheduled to fall within 2 weeks or so instead of scattershot across 3 months.
I think E3 as a business oriented summit may continue once things are back to normal.

The cringy stage shows and convention floor showings may not come back though, they are expensive and have limited returns. ESA but just coordinate an E3 week where the various digital presentations and a few stage shows that choose to keep a live format are scheduled under the E3 banner, but maybe far fewer will be travelling to LA in the future.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
They absolutely better not do a physical E3 this year. That would be incredibly reckless.

I also don't see them pivoting to an online show, at least not under the name "E3." Probably another Summer Game Fest, outside of the ESA's control. Or just a ton of devs and publishers putting together digital presentations and dumping them over a relatively short span of time.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
It's going to be a digital thing, let's get real. Hell, the way America is handling the pandemic I wouldn't be sure about E3 2022.

If he does try to do the Games Summer thing again, hopefully, it's much more focused and not spread out like last time.

People realize Geoff can't just make publishers do shit right?

Not saying that last year wasn't somewhat unfocused, but even if he sets some sort of limited limetable there's nothing stopping publishers from going earlier or later.

The normal E3 thing of cramming everything into a week makes for good hype, but realistically it means anything that isn't AAA is probably going to get snowed under.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like last year they cancelled it cause they had no idea what was going to happen with regards to Covid from one day to the next, was it just a blip? Would they be able to just delay it a few months?

But since then there's been several successful large online only virtual events and conferences, stuff like DC's Fandome. There's a rough guideline now that they could follow if they wanted to.

I agree that E3 in general is likely on its way out, with 2 of the biggest video game companies in the world, Sony and EA, no longer participating even before the pandemic. But I think they'll probably still try to delay the inevitable for a couple more years.

Garjon

Oct 27, 2017
Very unlikely, unless the US massively ramps up its vaccination program. And even then, there would be serious restrictions on crowds and on people traveling from high-risk countries etc.

Djalminha

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
I just care about the conferences, whether they are part of E3 or not is irrelevant to me. However, E3 does make them all happen within a few days which I think is dumb fun. No E3 means companies will spread them out and that's inconvenient. I liked taking that day off work and eating pizza watching conferences all day with my brother and friends and playing Halo in between.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like only yesterday we were arguing about whether Sony were cowards for backing out of trade shows due to COVID.

Bathory

Dec 8, 2020
Will certainly be cancelled and for the best. Maybe they will make a digital event, but I find kind hard. I hope to see E3 in 2022, I love this event, such good memories, but the future looks rather dark to the event with or without COVID, the gaming industry is changing and companies now prefer to make their own events and all digital.

Bathory

Dec 8, 2020
I just care about the conferences, whether they are part of E3 or not is irrelevant to me. However, E3 does make them all happen within a few days which I think is dumb fun. No E3 means companies will spread them out and that's inconvenient. I liked taking that day off work and eating pizza watching conferences all day with my brother and friends and playing Halo in between.

Yes, I do the same with my sister. We eat and watch the events, we had so much fun. I didn't like the way games were revealed last year, I enjoy the way E3 does.

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
My Dad had his vaccine today so maybe he can hold it at his gaff. He's a dab hand at Football Manager and likes a good brew.

Trike

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
They've had long enough to plan for a COVID E3. I'd say it's fairly likely to happen in some form, but a convention is doubtful.

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I miss good E3, before they lost EA and all the other groups.

The Kentia Hall era. Where it wasn't as cost prohibitive to be there, and the back half of south hall wasn't a bunch of army/religious/loot box sellers.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Summer Game Fest Coliseum: June, July & August Edition.

A Week in each month for digital conferences and shows.

June:

- Microsoft
- Bethesda (MS)
- PlayStation
- Ubisoft
- EA (NFS DLC, Battlefield 6, sports)
- Square Enix / FF Event (XVI showcase & XIV Expansion release showcase) + new
- PC Gaming Show part I (Valve?)

July:

- MS Part II
- State of Play (Update)
- Ubi Forward II
- Activision Call of Duty showcase
- EA live Battlefield 6 Multiplayer showcase
- PC Gaming Show II

August:

- Gamescom 2021 Digital showcase

Throw in a few game reveals in the weeks of each and I think that this would be a fun summer.

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA
Probably something that no one wants or a really limited live audience of mostly journalists. And even then I think a lot of companies wouldn't participate.

I'd just do a digital week. Create a channel on streaming platforms for the week. Have companies sign up for slots to have their digital conferences or announcements. In-between have some pre-recorded interviews to splice in on behind the scenes stuff. Get some old G4 content, documentaries or even cartoons (like the old Mario/Zelda/Sonic ones) to put in spots without content. Sell ads for the week to support it. I'd watch too much of that for the week.

OP
OP
Meelow

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017

June:

- Microsoft
- Bethesda (MS)
- PlayStation
- Ubisoft

July:

- MS Part II
- State of Play (Update)
- Ubi Forward II
- PC Gaming Show II

August:

Throw in a few game reveals in the weeks of each and I think that this would be a fun summer.

It needs a Nintendo Direct.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
Have it in New Zealand. Gabe can host every conference for all the different publishers and give an editorial on each one too.

JimD

Aug 17, 2018
I work in the insurance industry, and specifically with commercial liability insurance. The LA Convention Center isn't one of our clients, so I can't say anything definitive. But I *do* know that our Risk Management teams are advising clients that any large scale events are extremely unlikely to happen before fall. Many of those clients own large event spaces and the risk exposure is just too high, especially given how low the vaccination rates are in the US.

So my guess is the ESA already knows that an in-person E3 isn't happening this year. Announcing the cancellation is a different matter. Depending on contracts between property owners, venue management, and event organizers, sometimes an event can only be cancelled within a certain time frame. Or they have to wait till the city or state officially announces that those events are banned.

I'd say a "virtual E3" is likely. Whether or not they can convince everyone to participate is another matter.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Long live the drip-feed all-digital reveals.
RIP awkward, too-long, fluffed-out stage presentations with dudes in the Seinfeld suit / sneaker combo.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
It's unbelievable how much I used to look forward to E3 every year — it was an industry beacon, gamer Xmas — and now I just don't care about it coming back at all. What a completely mismanaged and misguided event.

Deleted member 15395

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd be very surprised if it happens at all and if it does it'll be 100% digital. E3 2019 was already a shell of its former self plus that PII leak fiasco...

The biggest companies have also shifted to (and clearly seen the value of) having their own digital events.

A shame really, E3 always felt like a week long Christmas to me.

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020
Microsoft just called out digital presentations for the rest of the year and they have zenimax/ Bethesda soooooo 90% of e3 exhibitors are digital only

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020

June:

- Microsoft
- Bethesda (MS)
- PlayStation
- Ubisoft

July:

- MS Part II
- State of Play (Update)
- Ubi Forward II
- PC Gaming Show II

August:

Thanks I hate it tbh

8 weeks is too much