• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
It's about that time of year where The Electronic Entertainment Expo (ESA) announces the information regarding the expo, ticket details, etc.

Of course, we all know E3 2020 was cancelled due to obvious events and as of Feb 2021 the US still isn't doing great regarding Covid, it is confirmed as of right now that E3 2021 will be held from June 15th-17th so there is still a little over 4 months left to go and last year the event was cancelled on April 7th, 2020.

Will we see the event cancelled again? I don't see how we can hold a convention with tons of people in it right now unless they do a limited press availability for it that can allow social distancing. But at that point would it make sense doing it at the expo we are used to seeing?

Thoughts?

Aug 10, 2019
Probably canceled or moved to later in the year.

I'm of the mind that there's going to be a lot of AAA Budget games delayed as well.

Last edited:

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
If they do a physical show it would be a waste. I don't see the bigger companies putting time or money into it right now.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
All digital events, probably spread out over god knows how many months. The week of excitement, reveals, and info dumps is gone.

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
If it isn't outright cancelled it will be a very limited event with no public guests. Best case is a few journalists only, but I doubt even that. I hope for a all digital event with most of the big players partaking.

MrBenchmark

Dec 8, 2017
Digital if anything the US can't get simple vaccine distribution figured out this is dragging on.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I can't imagine California will be in any position to allow any sort of in person event of that nature even by June, and I doubt any of the companies or outlets involved will want to send their employees.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Presumably something digital, but I will say spreading it out made it more tiresome. By July I was kinda not as interested anymore.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
There's no point for it anymore. The original purpose of announcing and demoing software for investors and press can be done much easier and cheaper digitally. Nintendo has realized this a long time ago which is why they stopped with the standard press conferences.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
I think you'll get some digital events throughout the summer (much like last year), but no actual E3.

Zelus

Oct 27, 2017
It'll be cancelled. Best case scenario is next year after the vaccine is widely available.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Vaccination efforts won't have reached enough of the population for such event by the time it's supposed to happen, so either it's postponed, digital or canceled again.

Aug 10, 2019
AAA games cancelled or delayed? Because I don't see them cancelling too many games.
Delayed...

giphy.gif

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Just have a shiw that spans a week and not the random months of stuff

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
I say Geoff will do something again this year and it will be slightly better than last year.

Like the Game Awards each year is slightly better than the previous one. I am positive Geoff will look at last years Summer Games fest and improve on it.

The main criticism is it was too spaced out. Probably having something on a Tuesday and Thursday over a month would be far better.

Feb 8, 2018
I guess "big" announcements troughout the year are possible to be honest along delays etc... If it was a normal year E3 would probably take place like in the past. I'm saying this because weren't some people commenting E3 was over prior to the pandemic?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Meelow

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
I say Geoff will do something again this year and it will be slightly better than last year.

Like the Game Awards each year is slightly better than the previous one. I am positive Geoff will look at last years Summer Games fest and improve on it.

The main criticism is it was too spaced out. Probably having something on a Tuesday and Thursday over a month would be far better.

In my opinion, the best TGA year was 2014 when they showed off a demo of BOTW (when it was called Zelda Wii U), 2020 as boring and dragged on forever.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think E3 ever happens again in physical form tbh. I think this year will still be a no-go, and by next year everyone will have been convinced it's just not worth the money

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If he does try to do the Games Summer thing again, hopefully, it's much more focused and not spread out like last time.

I'd prefer that too but perhaps that's to give dev's more time to create trailers or presentations rather than having them meet a deadline all at once.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
They had a year to come up with ideas and if one of those ideas wasn't an all digital event, then they can only blame themselves. Everyone knew that there was no chance of an physical/in person event in 2021, no matter how much they wished for it.

If he does try to do the Games Summer thing again, hopefully, it's much more focused and not spread out like last time.

Agreed. They absolutely need to hold this event over 1 or 2 weeks and not over several months, if there actually ends up being one.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Probably similar to CES 2021, all digital with press seeing things a little earlier than everyone else to give them time to write things up/make videos.

No way it's in person.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
It's almost certainly cancelled

At best the companies will band together and focus on just one event (whether it be summer game fest or something new entirely). Probably won't all take place in the space of a week regardless, which I don't mind, they just need to do a better job of keeping expectations in check.

CJohn

Oct 30, 2017
Summer Games Fest was absolutely awful. I stopped caring before it even started and just saw the Sony event.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Digital presentations have been the future for some time, so
tenor.gif

I'm sure they can can do their business meetings with zoom, the convention format is just hugely outdated.