• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SgtCobra

Oct 25, 2017
Reminds me of this horseshit

mPG5qze.gif
The guy with the hat is hurting on the inside.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
They clearly liked how well keanu went down.

Get Jeff Goldblum and Nicolas Cage on stage for some bim bam boom- success and memes

crimilde

Oct 26, 2017
Oh god just kill it already. Influencers and celebrities. The only reason I tune in every year tbh. 🙄

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Having Sony drop out is already bad enough and they want to include celebrities? I guess they are lost in direction. Sounds like a desperate attempt to cling to relevancy. But the only thing non-industry people care about are game announcements and gameplay showcases.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
On a positive note

It could lead to some delightfully awkward and bizarre moments like the good ol days

EMBRACE THE CRINGE!

dodmaster

Apr 27, 2019
The news confirms that the leak from last year was accurate, so the article description is accurate

Technically, the PushSquare article is editorialising, because the latest ESA statement didn't include the term 'celebrities'. The slide leak did, but PushSquare gives zero context to that, other than 'celebrities, influencers bad'. So again, I don't really get why ESA bending to the will of the lobby group (of which Sony is a constituent member, the last I heard) is a bad thing for consumers, looking forward to a more consumer-focussed games show. That report you linked from Gamedaily.biz goes with the identity crisis line because quite rightly, ESA was formed for publishers, who don't need a consumer event.

From what i've read, this PushSquare effort takes a strange editorial stance, saying "ESA needs to change. Oh ESA is changing! No, no. Not like that. By the way, Sony isn't going because ESA needs to change."

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
This is basically what they hinted at once before.
It is inevitably sad that this long held tradition, this ridiculous gaming circus, is finally actually dying, transforming into some sort of public event for influencers, its remains effectively getting split up and spread out by various companies hosting their own separate streams and events.

I'll miss the ridiculous bonanza aspect of it, the intense mass, volume and frequency. That everything and everyone get brought together to one spot, making things like Giant Bomb's E3 coverage possible. It was like a madcap weekend-long celebration. Lock me up and throway the key.

I was hoping that the next-gen stuff would end E3 with a bang, but with Sony dropping out, it probably won't so much.
I expect E3 2021 to be skippable.

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
I'm seeing some of y'all saying that Sony was right leaving E3, but what Sony wants from E3 is to be less industry focused and more of fan event. This is another step in that direction.

crookedaxis

Oct 27, 2017
Amazing! Hopefully my favorite celebrity, Ninja, the man that singlehandedly made gaming mainstream shows up.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Technically, the PushSquare article is editorialising, because the latest ESA statement didn't include the term 'celebrities'. The slide leak did, but PushSquare gives zero context to that, other than 'celebrities, influencers bad'. So again, I don't really get why ESA bending to the will of the lobby group (of which Sony is a constituent member, the last I heard) is a bad thing for consumers, looking forward to a more consumer-focussed games show. That report you linked from Gamedaily.biz goes with the identity crisis line because quite rightly, ESA was formed for publishers, who don't need a consumer event.

From what i've read, this PushSquare effort takes a strange editorial stance, saying "ESA needs to change. Oh ESA is changing! No, no. Not like that. By the way, Sony isn't going because ESA needs to change."

To be fair, the article starts off by linking to a story that previously discussed the changes from the GameDaily leak. So this new article is a continuation of that one. Their stance is that they wanted it to continue to be more of an industry focused event. Sony's, at least based on the announcement that they won't attend E3 this year, seems to be that they wanted it to become more of a consumer event. But this doesn't accomplish that. It's highlighted no better than them only adding an additional 10k tickets for consumers. Last year E3 attendance was down, some attributed that to it being a slow year, but gamescom was actually up. E3's attendance was 66k last year, gamescom's was 373k. gamescom fully embraced being a consumer show, and is the biggest one around. E3 seems to really not know what it wants to be. Because this moves them away from being an industry show, but doesn't actually move them into being a consumer show. So who is this song and dance ultimately about? Are the few consumers there supposed to step away form the games that they paid money to fly across the country, or from another country, to play to watch other people play games? The journalists there are going to be doing their jobs, so playing games, taking behind closed door meetings and doing interviews.

It really seems like they're trying to please both those that want it to remain industry focused and also those that want it to be more consumer focused. And the end result is a bunch of confusion.

SuperSunBro

Dec 29, 2017
Opening up E3 to the general public was a mistake; they now have completely different and conflicting priorities.

SDBurton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This sounds like some Nickelodeon Kids Choice Awards shit. Woof.

Sony made the right call.