• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
Who are they getting this from? Who told them we want this?
They've been around so long, shouldn't they know better?

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sony saw this coming for sure lmao. I can already imagine the fucking cringe that's going to come out of this.

Kill E3. Rest In Peace.

Dec 5, 2018
Bethesda, North Wales
Man, Sony decided not to show up 2 years in a row and they decide to go all "Gamer", they'll give one of these shirts to every attendee

downloadfile.png

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Well, looks like I won't have to stay up late to watch all the conferences.

I actually think bringing celebrities and popular streamers might work for them.
Doesn't for me.

Jun 17, 2018
Celebrities? I really don't see this as a major selling point. I'll be watching the MS conference for the new console and then shutting off. E3 is a joke.

Feb 24, 2018
Celebrities? I really don't see this as a major selling point. I'll be watching the MS conference for the new console and then shutting off. E3 is a joke.
Most likely their trying to capitalise on the hit Keanu Reeves appearance was at last years Microsoft Conference... Forgetting of course that worked because it was a massive surprise, came across as genuinely adorable and the well timed heckle... The latter resulted in all the other conference having tons of people heckling trying to get the same fame.

They don't seem to realise that artificially trying to re-create, especially when their a big deal of it is going to make it work twice in a row and I'm expecting WAY MORE obnoxious heckling this year because of it.

LostSkullKid

Nov 27, 2017
E3's honestly just been fucking boring the last few years. So, I'm hoping this brings E3 back to its entertainingly horrible glory.

Feb 24, 2018
So this read at lot like that leaked E3 plan that hit a few months back and queuetainment is the last thing I ever want to be around or hear about (related to gaming).

Plus given last year (and apparently how long they knew their security was crap and did nothing), why should anyone trust ESA with their information which if the leak was true, people going will have to give them more because of the mandatory app as part of that above queuetainment?!

Like I'm really curious to hear journalists feelings on this and who is going and not given they were most harmed.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Oh dear.

Keanu worked because it's Keanu and a lightning in a bottle moment.

Nobody wants to go back to wheeling out celebs feigning interest again, it's lame 99'9% of the time.

It's going to be like the underground Gears multiplayer thing, That was awful.

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I wonder if Giantbomb will bother going this year, the only reason they might is because it's one of two times per year the east and west crews can meet up. Otherwise it's a waste of time, they're going to hate every minute of the actual expo.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
tbh, I don't know how it gonna be this year without the PS5. It's like attending a wedding without a bride or groom.

Last edited:

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
Now we know why Sony pulled out.

The only time celebrities are ever cool at gaming shows is if they're actually involved in the games.

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well those 2019 leaked sheets turned out to be real.
And no thanks, this reads like gamescom in BAD, and gamescom isn't good in the first place

EDIT:
And fuck the ESA and them never adressing when they didn't give a single fuck about the data security of their guests.

dodmaster

Apr 27, 2019
PushSquare with an interesting article here. Their editorialising of 'celebrities' is weird - one of the headlines from last year was a celebrity meme, who was a surprise actor in the biggest reveal of the show. I don't think it was cringey - but I suppose PushSquare wants me to think so now, because it was on a Microsoft stage, perhaps. Who knows? And the general tone of the 'we don't think this change is a good thing' is in direct conflict with why Sony is avoiding it this year (if you believe their statements on how it needs to be more fan-centric, that is).
Gone are the days of games, games, games and in comes energy drink stations, influencers, and Fortnite streamers.
Well, I got absolutely none of that from the ESA statement, but hey - i'm not a doxxed games journalist, so what do I know? I guess if you hate ESA with a passion, it's easy to be cynical.

Jeb

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Mar 14, 2018
So apparently someone thought closing the TGA's with awkward Vin Diesel and a PS2 game, they said fuck it, lets stuff that in E3.

VerySerious

Oct 25, 2017
This just looks like a relic of the pre-Direct/State of Play era struggling to stay relevant. It'll probably backfire.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
PushSquare with an interesting article here. Their editorialising of 'celebrities' is weird - one of the headlines from last year was a celebrity meme, who was a surprise actor in the biggest reveal of the show. I don't think it was cringey - but I suppose PushSquare wants me to think so now, because it was on a Microsoft stage, perhaps. Who knows? And the general tone of the 'we don't think this change is a good thing' is in direct conflict with why Sony is avoiding it this year (if you believe their statements on how it needs to be more fan-centric, that is).

Well, I got absolutely none of that from the ESA statement, but hey - i'm not a doxxed games journalist, so what do I know? I guess if you hate ESA with a passion, it's easy to be cynical.

The news confirms that the leak from last year was accurate, so the article description is accurate

In a pitch deck intended for the lobbying group's members (last updated August 16, 2019), the ESA says it has plans to adapt its offerings in response to feedback gathered from publishers. As part of its overhaul, the group proposes leaning into influencers and paid celebrity deals with talent representation agencies like UTA and CAA.

The deck includes two examples of these high profile celebrity activations, including members of the Los Angeles Lakers playing a basketball video game in front of fans or actors competing in a tournament. These attractions rely on a massive change to the E3 show floor.

The presentation includes a sample of what the LA Convention Center's West Hall might look like with eight "experience" hubs" in the middle of traditional booths (see below for proposed floor plan and E3 2018 West Hall floor plan). ESA members voiced approval for the new floor plan.

The lobbying group says it hopes to create "exclusive/appointment only activations for select attendees who will create buzz and FOMO." ESA members shot down the idea of paying celebrities though, according to three slides labeled "Member Decision Points." Celebrities will be invited through an organized program, instead.

Starmud

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know how the show dosent involve influencers/streamers/vloggers going forward... it's too much apart of the marketplace. A bit of a knee jerk reaction here, many of the publishers already do this on their own...