• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rösti

Oct 25, 2017
We'd like to cut right to the chase.

We've listened to the feedback of our media partners, attendees and the industry at large. We are committed to keeping E3 at the level you've come to expect.

You'll be happy to know that we're not producing E3 2020 in a vacuum. For E3 2020, we're collaborating with industry insiders and new creative partners, including the tastemakers at iam8bit.com, to reinvigorate the show and, frankly, to shake things up.

We are well down the path on the development and production of a large, super fun floor experience that celebrates gaming culture in exciting new ways.

Without revealing too much right now, here's a taste.

We will be showcasing E3 to the world through new streaming and digital programming while creating gatherings on the show floor that let people do what they love the most… play and celebrate games.

We'll have surprise guests, amazing stage experiences, access to insiders and experiential zones that delight the senses. It will be incredibly inclusive, celebrating all aspects of our industry.

Over the next few weeks – and continuing all the way to E3 – we will be revealing more details and will continue to listen and learn. In fact, if you have an idea that you'd like to see come to life at E3, please send it to [email protected], and we'll see if we can make it happen. No idea is too large or too small; we want to hear from you.

You should also know that we've upgraded our media registration process, which received a lot of attention this past summer. Earning back your trust and support is our top priority.

That's why we rebuilt the E3 website with enhanced and layered security measures developed by an outside cybersecurity firm. This included updating our data management processes, including the handling of personally identifiable information, and we will no longer store that data on our site. We have also changed our registration practices and will collect the minimum information necessary to complete your registration.

E3 2020 will be a new and revitalized experience for everyone – the many exhibitors committed to the show, the members of the media who have supported us for so many years, and the fans and community that are the heart and soul of video games.

Finally, in case you're wondering, E3 registration will start on February 15th. We'll have more information on the process in the coming days.
Source: https://www.theesa.com/statements/e3-2020-a-sneak-peek-at-the-year-ahead/

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Stand in bigger lines! Get your information leaked! Make your bank account cry!

Yes, I understand that they've addressed these concerns but uh. I don't believe them.

Wintermute

Oct 27, 2017
there better be some goddamn activations

** edit **

You should also know that we've upgraded our media registration process, which received a lot of attention this past summer. Earning back your trust and support is our top priority.

That's why we rebuilt the E3 website with enhanced and layered security measures developed by an outside cybersecurity firm. This included updating our data management processes, including the handling of personally identifiable information, and we will no longer store that data on our site. We have also changed our registration practices and will collect the minimum information necessary to complete your registration.

how about you compensate some of the many people whose lives you royally fucked. just last week i heard an email on a podcast where a semi-popular streamer had to move house because their details were part of the leak and they had to move. I've heard plenty more stories like this in the last year.

fuck the ESA.

FHIZ

Oct 28, 2017
My body is ready to be activated... and limber enough to move all the heavy boxes when the ESA doxxes me and I have to move out of my house!

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I get the feeling that it will be "infleuncers" everywhere.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
I honestly think that security remark comes way too late. They went silent too long on it, wouldn't blame anyone that still doesn't trust them at all with how they handle info.

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
You should also know that we've upgraded our media registration process, which received a lot of attention this past summer.

''received a lot of attention'' is a shitty way to describe the harm they caused to so many people

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
4c934b19-58f3-4c0f-8b1jwc.jpeg

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

"Received a lot of attention this past summer" is a pretty understated way of phrasing it lol

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It feels like they are trying to make it more fan focused, which is what Sony wanted?

Could they be pandering to them?

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
You'll be happy to know that we're not producing E3 2020 in a vacuum. For E3 2020, we're collaborating with industry insiders and new creative partners, including the tastemakers at iam8bit.com, to reinvigorate the show and, frankly, to shake things up.
Paragraphs that contradict themselves

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
We'd like to cut right to the chase.

We've listened to the feedback of our media partners, attendees and the industry at large.
Great, so that means you're finally taking responsibility for the data leak and will be helping those affected, right?

No?

Then fuck right off and stop acting like you're being responsible and "listening to feedback".

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We have also changed our registration practices and will collect the minimum information necessary to complete your registration.

I bet it will be relatively easy to sneak in as a member of the Media this year. They won't have as many hoops for people to jump through.

Oct 27, 2017
'Insert cynical comment here'
This is what we do now it looks like...

That post is very down to earth and a nice change from the usual blabla. Let's see what it becomes, but it seems like they're listening. I hope they can slowly gain the trust back from the media. After that leak, it seems like a very hard task.

Deleted member 42472

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 21, 2018
I get the feeling that it will be "infleuncers" everywhere.
I mean, like it or not (and I do not), that is "the industry" these days. There are still the more traditional games media outlets (and a few of the even more traditional games magazine outlets) but most folk get their news and reviews from streamers who can't go fifty seconds without pausing for a selfie to post to instagram or a shout out.

I would actually be really curious to see a writeup of how the more traditional print media (magazines) felt when they increasingly saw everyone carrying cameras and asking for b-roll and the like.

Oct 26, 2017
'Insert cynical comment here'
This is what we do now it looks like...

That post is very down to earth and a nice change from the usual blabla. Let's see what it becomes, but it seems like they're listening. I hope they can slowly gain the trust back from the media. After that leak, it seems like a very hard task.
I'm usually not a fan of cynicism, but the ESA really has earned the scorn. They actively endangered members of the group they are now courting.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
The Suggestion Box is just perfect. That combined with them leaking personal information of hundreds of people being described as "receiving a lot of attention" is... incredible.

Never stop, ESA.

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
It used to be a childhood dream of mine to attend E3 one time but spending $500 or whatever on a ticket just to wait in 3 hour lines and get offered seventy samples of G FUEL seems less appealing every single year. Also, why would anyone trust the ESA with their personal info after last year?

Moves

Oct 27, 2017
Will be very interesting to see how this pans out. Curious to see what changes they end up making as they are definitely in need of a shake up.

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This statement is a tire fire:

-tastemakers
-'exciting new ways' followed by listing zero new things
-'super fun' how??
-What guests?
-What stage experiences?
-What insiders?
-What 'experiential zones'?
-INCREDIBLY inclusive how?
-you're fucking E3, you shouldn't need to take suggestions from randos
-'a lot of attention this past summer' FUCK OFF

VileZero

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Maryland/DC
About a decade ago, I made it to the final round of interviews on a job opening at the ESA. I didn't get it, and spent years feeling like I blew my one shot working in an industry I was incredibly passionate about.

Watching the ESA implode over the last year, I'm finally starting to think that maybe things do happen for a reason.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would love it if they turned E3 into the Comic-Con of gaming. Big panels and press events, but still lots of premieres and first-looks. If you're waiting in a long line at the show, it should be a line for an event -- you shouldn't just be standing around waiting to play something on a kiosk.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
We are well down the path on the development and production of a large, super fun floor experience that celebrates gaming culture in exciting new ways.

"Welcome to the next activity on the floor, 'Heated Gaming Moments and You' where you learn such useful things as not using the N-word in online lobbies!"

Deleted member 42472

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 21, 2018
I would love it if they turned E3 into the Comic-Con of gaming. Big panels and press events, but still lots of premieres and first-looks. If you're waiting in a long line at the show, it should be a line for an event -- you shouldn't just be standing around waiting to play something on a kiosk.
I think the problem is the medium

If I am going to a book convention, I want to hear the author talk about what their method is and maybe read an excerpt.
If I am going to a comic book convention, I want to know what is coming next and maybe see a few pages put up on a big screen
Movies? I wanna see a treailer if not a screener.

Games? I don't want to watch a game. I can watch a game from home. I barely even want to hear about the game. I want to PLAY the game

And playing requires stations which limits throughput and leads to lines.

One of the side effects of Our Dark Streaming Future is that attendees could get special access to servers and stream games to their phones while they wait. Locking that down to a WLAN should be reasonable and having a log-in on top would encourage folk to attend. And playing the game while you wait in line to get a dev panel could be really cool.

Of course, even order tens of people streaming from the same network is going to be hell. But it could be a longer term goal

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Games? I don't want to watch a game. I can watch a game from home. I barely even want to hear about the game. I want to PLAY the game

And playing requires stations which limits throughput and leads to lines.
As I get older, the less and less I value playing games at a convention. If it's something you've never played before, you barely even get to scratch the surface of it. If it's something that's familiar or a sequel, then you're just waiting in an incredibly long line to play a game that you already know all about.

I think they ought to work out some kind of FastPass/appointment system to limit the lines. Everybody gets a couple passes per day, and there's a limited number of appointment times for each game. Everybody has a hard-limit of 5-minutes to play.

Deeke

Oct 25, 2017
United States
The whole "celebration of games" thing makes E3 sound like a big advertisement for stuff AROUND games, not necessarily the game themselves; ie gaming chairs, Dorito's and Mt. Dew special game tie-ins, Monster/Redbull...hell I even expect to see the Shick razor dude walking around the show floor handing out Game Pass codes.