• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly pretty much expected and for the best. Way too many people from way too many places in an enclosed space.

Also, what's with the VR zealotry happening here? Really doesn't seem like the thread to try to justify your $500 headset purchase.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Happy we still get a online show at least. So lots of great news to enjoy.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
How was the queuing/sheer busy-ness of the place? I've always wanted to go but that kinda put me off, the whole "lining up for 2 hours to play 15 minutes of a game" aspect.

It honestly depends on the day and how popular a Devs/Game is. Nintendo, Atlus & Activision stuff (i.e) is always packed and yes, in some of those you gotta line-up for a short demo (tho, last time I was there, they've added a system that just gives you an hour and you just need to be there at that hour, avoiding long queues).

With indies or non-big studios is way easier, and sometimes you can even go directly to a demo station in their booth.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The idea is that a few selfies would be able to produce their avatar replica and then cameras on the headset would track the full human body, including facial expressions, eyes, fingers, and limbs. This is all doable today, it's just that the pieces haven't been combined into one headset. This is realistically a consumer technology in 5 years, and thus the norm well before 15.

From a technical standpoint, it would be much easier to just have custom avatars as people can drive those with the same tracking data, so perhaps that will come first.
If you can get photorealistic avatars from a few selfies in 5 years, please DM me.

and again,this isn't about the technology but the willingness of people to network using VR and not in person.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't say I care it's dead especially after the esa leak from last year. I will miss the giant bomb stuff though

ASilentProtagonist

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if this means we'll get to see stuff that would've been saved for behind closed doors like demos... Probably not.

KOHIPEET

Oct 29, 2017
Would be so cool if they'd actually build a virtual venue for the digital alternative and people could pay to enter it via VR. You could walk around, attend conferences and stuff.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
This is for the best. Safety of the people should be #1 priority always over video games. That being said I can't say I care that it is cancelled. Geoff tapped out of E3 this year and the ESA stuff sounded really awful. I'll probably check some of these online events if Sony does one or of course a Nintendo Direct.

Nov 15, 2018
Nintendo now needs to do a Skype conference call for their treehouse live gameplay for 3 days.

Or a prerecorded video with 12+ hours of gameplay footage and talking.

Cyborg

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
ESA and online? I bet they will pre-record all the reveals/announcements and then accidentally leak it before the event starts.

Neonep

Oct 25, 2017
What is an E3 digital event gonna look like? The publishers and developers can just attach themselves to something Sony and/or Microsoft or do their own thing. Also doesn't the ESA make like 50% of their revenue comes from e3? They are pretty much fucked. Don't they make a ton of money off of just people being there which won't happen this year.

golguin

Oct 29, 2017
With WHO declaring corona virus a pandemic you will start to see other large events canceled world wide.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sure took WHO long enough. Had they acted sooner, maybe certain (not many, but a few) governments would have made smarter decisions due to more pressure.

Realistically the Chinese government is to blame. They tried to keep it quite like with the SARS outbreak and it is costing alot of people now because they don't give a shit about peoples lives.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Realistically the Chinese government is to blame. They tried to keep it quite like with the SARS outbreak and it is costing alot of people now because they don't give a shit about peoples lives.
That being said, China's late response was still one of the best government responses. Iran on the other hand is a perfect example of how not to respond, even worse than the US.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
A4wB9Gc.png

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
If you can get photorealistic avatars from a few selfies in 5 years, please DM me.

and again,this isn't about the technology but the willingness of people to network using VR and not in person.
Most people are not exactly fans of the travel associated with networking events. They'll be able to attend more events and save more time.

Deleted member 42472

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 21, 2018
What is an E3 digital event gonna look like? The publishers and developers can just attach themselves to something Sony and/or Microsoft or do their own thing. Also doesn't the ESA make like 50% of their revenue comes from e3? They are pretty much fucked. Don't they make a ton of money off of just people being there which won't happen this year.
Probably similar to PAX (?) from early 20/late 19. A few things were announced simultaneously to the show and audience. And time limited game demos were added to Steam so that people could try things out from at home (and so eyes could be put on the announcement pages).

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017

E3 may have gone down the shitter in recent years but that still doesn't mean the industry is better off without it, especially smaller devs.

Videogame companies love to keep everything secret, so it is expected must people are not aware of that.
Also there are lots of avenues now to reach publishers. E3 was a great opportunity, but also an incredible challenging and one.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This comment reeks of the whole "No one will want to wear something to listen to music." comments before people starting using earphones.

What is one of the most important things to humans? Other humans. The idea of wearing a very comfortable, better-for-your-eyes-than-monitors HMD to capture the real life social contacts we have is easily a world-changing capability. It just is, because it's human nature to want to connect.

The £50 comment makes no sense. Do consoles need to be £50 to take off? Do PCs need to be £50 to take off? Smartphones? Of course not, so the idea that it should be roughly the same price as a controller is a pointless thing to say. It shows you have no real understanding of the technology.

If you can't think of why it would be a benefit, then you need to research more. Body language, spatial sound, the act of a hand-shake, the social presence and close proximity, these account for the majority of social cues in humans.

Webcams aren't the same at all and as VR matures, they will be seen as mostly useless in comparison.

Comparing wearing headphones to all the technology you need to use vr to get things like a virtual handshake is something, I guess. Unless you can make the technology stupid cheap and as easy to use as a webcam (which is the technology you're trying to replace here, and requires basically no effort on the user's part whatsoever, remember), it's never going to take off in the way you're imagining.

I absolutely love my psvr and I'd buy it all over again just for re7 alone, but it's not going to ever take off in the way you're imagining while it's still something you have to actively wear beyond maybe a light pair of glasses, and even then I'm doubtful. People are always going to value comfort far more than those minor things like a pretend handshake you mention.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
I think all these cancel are going to far, but at same time I understand that they won't be the event that could cause a spead.

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair
I didn't see any mention of refunds for anyone who mpurchased the Gamer Badge or Premium Pass. Surely they're not expecting those who paid to be keeping those passes for whatever their online plans are?

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Comparing wearing headphones to all the technology you need to use vr to get things like a virtual handshake is something, I guess. Unless you can make the technology stupid cheap and as easy to use as a webcam (which is the technology you're trying to replace here, and requires basically no effort on the user's part whatsoever, remember), it's never going to take off in the way you're imagining.

I absolutely love my psvr and I'd buy it all over again just for re7 alone, but it's not going to ever take off in the way you're imagining while it's still something you have to actively wear beyond maybe a light pair of glasses, and even then I'm doubtful. People are always going to value comfort far more than those minor things like a pretend handshake you mention.
All the technology you need to use VR.. like what? A headset? That's it. We're also talking in a decade-long context at this point, so it's less a box strapped to your face and more like thin goggles or a thin visor, which would actually be better for your eyes than a monitor.

So comparing thin goggles/thin visor to headphones is actually very accurate, however it favors VR much more as VR is a general purpose device like personal computers, not just a way to get audio.

How stupid cheap are you talking? Because your £50 comment is undervaluing the hardware. If we're talking £200 then fair enough, but even that isn't really needed as there are a number of general purpose technologies that go mass market at higher prices.

You say people will always value comfort, and while that's largely true, the good thing is that once VR actually is down to a pair of glasses or realistically goggles/visor, it will have certain comfort benefits over other displays.

Your experience with PSVR is clearly focused almost entirely on gaming, you haven't had the same experiences I've had on PC. Gaming is only one of a dozen sectors that I'm involved in with my headset at home - I'm also aware of how the technology is advancing and solving it's issues including comfort. This doesn't seem like something you've looked into.

Last edited:

Nose Master

Oct 27, 2017
I bet the show is done for good, at least the big show floor and the way they used to do it. Devs are going to see how little is lost, how much easier it is to do everything online, and wonder why they were doing it in a physical space for so long in the first place.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
It's the responsible thing to do. No business deal or marketing plan is worth endangering the lives of thousands of people.

Mr. Rod

Jan 17, 2018
Some guy on Twitter replying to the news thinks this means the new consoles will be delayed a year. Apparently he doesn't think they host their own events....?
Well, we are starting to have a shortage of supplies in the electronic market since most of the manufacturing process comes from China.

Xeontech

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like this may dampen MS E3 rubbing it in as of late.

I suppose they could still have their event tho since it's at their own theater.