• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

E3 may have gone down the shitter in recent years but that still doesn't mean the industry is better off without it, especially smaller devs.

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
The thing is, that nothing individual platforms put on..X0, Sony's Playstation Conference, Nintendo Direct etc will ever be as big as a shared, coordinated, industry-wide event. Mainstream outlets do not pay attention to these events but rock up to e3 every year.

CES will always be bigger than any Apple/Samsung launch. The same applies to games.

I do hope that at the very least the platforms and publishers hold their digital events around the same time. Spreading them out across the year massively reduces the hype.

Crumrin

Banned
Feb 27, 2020
Welp.

PAUoc8M.jpg

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
Allow me to play devil's advocate, but isn't it a bit strange an event three months out is canceled? I would think three months is probably a long enough time for this mess to clear.

Companies needed to know now what was the future of the event. Less than 3 months to successfully attend an event like this with all the logistics involved (hotel, flights, hiring personal, planning the booth) seems impossible.

Jun 5, 2018
Providing the news comes out around the same time whether it's online or at a conference doesn't effect me.

I don't see this as a permanent thing E3 was already looking shaky and with health concerns taking a step back from the usual is a fair move.

Personally as someone who's watched them for nearly the past 15 years online I've always cared only about the games themselves I'm sure others will take a hit from this news though so I do feel for those it effects beyond it just as a news outlet for gaming.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
The thing is, that nothing individual platforms put on..X0, Sony's Playstation Conference, Nintendo Direct etc will ever be as big as a shared, coordinated, industry-wide event. Mainstream outlets do not pay attention to these events but rock up to e3 every year.

CES will always be bigger than any Apple/Samsung launch. The same applies to games.

I do hope that at the very least the platforms and publishers hold their digital events around the same time. Spreading them out across the year massively reduces the hype.
Nintendo had their switch reveal event randomly in mid January and uh...the switch turned out kind of big.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Eventually E3 will have a virtual conference that people attend via VR. It's kind of inevitable for most events to go this way really. GDC, Gamescom, all of them.

Nov 15, 2018
E3 conference and E3 Directs are basically the same thing.
They can both be exciting and show game after game. They can also both be boring to watch like Nintendo E3 2015 or Sony E3 2018, with a lot of talking, or long breaks and music playing, and not enough games.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Allow me to play devil's advocate, but isn't it a bit strange an event three months out is canceled? I would think three months is probably a long enough time for this mess to clear.
It's just getting started basically in the US, a place where there are no guidelines for people to get paid time off work and ran by a man child "president".

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Damn. I always take time off to enjoy E3 every year. I guess I'll just use that time to play games on launch day instead.

It's going to be weird to have new consoles but no E3. I know people are down on E3, but this isn't the end of the show. It'll be back next year.

Plum

May 31, 2018

Yeah, this is a good point. I'd also add that E3 being in a similar date every year and being announced months in advance means more people are going to be able to take time off and prepare to watch it. Meanwhile with Nintendo Directs we don't know when the fuck they're gonna happen and we only get less than a day to prepare.

That can only harm marketing potential and that will hurt big names but it will really hurt the smaller indies who may have previously received massive boosts from appearing on an E3 presentation.

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
Gotta name all these fuckers now:

Nintendo Direct
State of Play
Inside Xbox
Stadia Connect
EA Play

Ubisoft Instant
Bethesda-O-Vision
Up Late with Devolver
The Warner Brothers Variety Hour
The Square Enixperience
Personal Computers: The Livestream

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Giantbomb's Nites @ E3 and Waypoint's AirBNB podcasts are a much bigger loss than the press conferences, at least we'll still see all those trailers & reveals in some form.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Damn. I always take time off to enjoy E3 every year. I guess I'll just use that time to play games on launch day instead.

It's going to be weird to have new consoles but no E3. I know people are down on E3, but this isn't the end of the show. It'll be back next year.
There might not be new consoles this year.

Danzflor

Oct 27, 2017
For gamers at home, yes, the physical event was never important. And on this age, even for journalist, it was needless. However, there was a still a pretty big sector of the industry that needed E3 (the same way GDC is needed for them); it's a incredible good place for any non-big Studio to have meetings, make pitches and contact people to work with.

Pretty much this:

I really hope this smaller Devs can fin a way around this cancellation.

This is pretty much why I never liked the idea of consumers being at E3. More than a show where journos could see first impressions, is where all this deals happen. And yeah, while big companies don't need these places anymore, I'm also aware is gonna impact indie devs more than anyone. I'm sure someone like Devolver or others will rise to the occasion.

KaiPow

Oct 25, 2017
Losing GDC, BitSummit and now E3 is hell for the indie gaming industry. These were where you build contacts and get pitches set up. An online presence doesn't mean the same thing to these students wanting to show off their work for the first time.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
I have a lot of complicated thoughts on this one.

E3 2019 wasn't the last E3, I believe E3 will go on for a few more years still. But E3 was already on its way out the door and growing in irrelevancy before this, I think this year being skipped (and it being a kinda' important year as it's a next-gen coming up year) is going to greatly speed up the process. Unless the ESA do something to turn this ship around, while E3 won't be dead I imagine it'll just continue to be a much smaller event not nearly as big as previous years, just accelerated now.

Obviously E3 not being around this year doesn't mean we're not getting gaming announcements, but it'll be interesting to see how publishers scramble to get their announcements in front of as many eyes as possible. I think most big publishers will be fine, but I actually can see this hurting a lot of smaller developers and press sites. E3 is one of the greatest windows for small developers to get their games highlighted and more public attention, and often there's a summer bump in revenue for gaming news sites. With E3 not being here this year and everything more spread out, I can see this seriously affecting some places and I won't even be surprised if it leads to some studio closures in the long-term.

E3 demos take a lot of time and money to make, and for certain some studios have been prepping E3 demos for a while now, so I'm curious if they'll be able to find another way to distribute these demos or not. I could see this being a sunk cost of time and money for many as you often have to prepare these demos way ahead of time, or Hell prepare other things as well that now have no use.

It still was 100% the right call to make. I think it's good the Coronavirus is being taken seriously, even if there's a bit of fear mongering about it, it's better it's taken very seriously and the health of people considered first. The other things suck but I don't think this was the wrong call.

I honestly do think this might be the end of an era, E3 won't be dead but unless ESA really pull something off I don't think it's going to return in the same form again as it has been. I know E3 has some big problems and had some big fuck-ups in recent years, but what this also means if E3 does grow in irrelevancy is that the US doesn't have a major video game conference event, which think is a detriment to the industry I believe. I agree Streams and Directs and such will catch on more, and that is a good thing in its own ways, but the US missing out on a big singular conference event for gaming I think has some major cons for the industry. E3 was a great chance for people to make industry connections, for lots of meet and greets, and a good place for lots of meetings, press events, for smaller-medium devs to have a chance to get their game out there, and if E3 does slowly grow irrelevant I do think that is at a huge cost to the industry as a whole.

I do expect between this and other things we're looking at the gaming industry having some major changes within the next decade though.

Plum

May 31, 2018
VR will fulfil the needs of networking just fine. In actuality, it will expand the networking capabilities as more people will be able to attend.

I know you really love VR and I do to but it's going to be decades at least before VR can seriously be a substitute for genuine in-person interaction.