• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
2020: the year everything was canceled.
Sucks I won't be able to take the week off of work to go to this now. The event was always exciting to attend to see all these big companies in person.
By the time 2021 rolls around, it's going to feel like an eternity since the last one.

gogosox82

Oct 25, 2017
They mention they are planning it in the article in the OP.

There will absolutely be an E3 2021.
They were also planning this year's E3 but now its cancelled. I'm sure they will plan for one next year but that doesn't mean that there will actually be an E3. I think its best to take a wait and see approach instead of making declarative statements.

Nov 15, 2018
The online replacement event is all that's needed. It's being done at the same time and should effectively get the same level of news coverage.

Live things like Nintendo Treehouse however will be more difficult to replicate as any non-first party developers are unlikely to appear. Nintendo needs to work with them over these next 3 months to showcase 12+ hours of video coverage of their games if they want to do an online Treehouse.

RPG_Fanatic

Oct 25, 2017
People sure are quick to see E3 is completely dead just because this year's event is being cancelled due to the corona virus.

Fiery Phoenix

Oct 26, 2017
Allow me to play devil's advocate, but isn't it a bit strange an event three months out is canceled? I would think three months is probably a long enough time for this mess to clear.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
Harry Potter news is dropping this year? Nice.

I'm down for an online format.

OP
OP
Serene

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Allow me to play devil's advocate, but isn't it a bit strange an event three months out is canceled? I would think three months is probably a long enough time for this mess to clear.

The amount of moving parts an event of this size has requires a long lead time on a decision.

Think of it like stopping a train. You don't pull the brake 50 feet before the station.

Danzflor

Oct 27, 2017
My thoughts on this:

First of all, this is good news for the health of everyone included. If someone is question this decision being so "early", the decision is made because this companies need to time to book hotels, flights and plan everything in their booth. I bet this companies were pressuring ESA for a final decision or they would pull out by themself.

Also, nobody hates the event itself (or nobody with a sane mind, at least); what happens here is that people have become dissatisfied on the nature of this event. There's a reason nobody minds PAX/Gamescom/PGW; it's because of the format. It seems the ESA will be forced to get up with the times and finally convert the E3 to a fan convention (as some Pubs wanted) or work a way to remain industry-only in a world in which those Pubs have more ways than ever to connect with fans and each other.

I know this may surprise some, but the E3 is/was still important to several smaller studios; it was a good place to show your product and get some PR/Marketing thanks to the media present and many people used the event to get in contact with Execs, Pubs and such. So, I am really hoping this smalls studios or indies have a way to keep doing that.

As for the "E3 week". I liked the week of news and new games too, and that can still happen. Companies can still make their announcement release trailers and all.

Personally, is not like I hate the event or the format, but I despise the people running it. And yeah, people "crying" over this or lamenting it, let's be real, show has lost relevance over the years, game companies don't need it and, as you said, there's no reason to not keep that June week for the news, just delivered in another way/format. The physical event it's gone, but honestly who cares in 2020, the info will get out to the consumers regardless.

The things I'll miss the most are the EZA reaction streams and Giant Bomb @ Nite tho.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Considering what is happening in the world and the reasons why E3 was cancelled, it is distasteful that some of you are expressing joy over this.

This won't clear in three or six months, it hasn't even started or peaked yet in most countries.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Sad about missing some extra EZA streams, and a week or so of reading more Gematsu articles than normal.

Hopefully people that were planning to attend can get back as much of their money as possible.

Xenoblade 3

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
The online replacement event is all that's needed. It's being done at the same time and should effectively get the same level of news coverage.

Live things like Nintendo Treehouse however will be more difficult to replicate as any non-first party developers are unlikely to appear. Nintendo needs to work with them over these next 3 months to showcase 12+ hours of video coverage of their games if they want to do an online Treehouse.
OHHH DAMN.
I forgot all about Nintendo's Treehouse.... fuck
I hope Nintendo finds a way to do that this year

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Expected well before today's rumors.
Well, this might result in nextgen blowout happening...sooner !

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
The physical event it's gone, but honestly who cares in 2020, the info will get out to the consumers regardless.

For gamers at home, yes, the physical event was never important. And on this age, even for journalist, it was needless. However, there was a still a pretty big sector of the industry that needed E3 (the same way GDC is needed for them); it's a incredible good place for any non-big Studio to have meetings, make pitches and contact people to work with.

Pretty much this:

I really hope this smaller Devs can fin a way around this cancellation.