• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
this thread needs more Goldblum
source.gif

Deleted member 11822

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They have bounced back before and been relevant for years while some been chanting hos E3 is already dead or will drop dead moment publishers realize that Internet exists.

Not shocked if E3 swings back strong in 2021, while chants of it being dead continue.

I imagine several companies will see how things go with an online-only presence this year then realized that it is far more cost-effective to just do that from now on.

number8888

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe they can take the year off any come back twice as strong in 2021. Probably don't even want to do it in the first place due to all the cancellations. COVID-19 is just a good excuse.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A bummer, I was legit excited. But this is the right call, no doubts. Last thing anybody needs right now is mass gatherings.

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
Statement literally says that they're planning E3 2021 now. This is cancelled due to the coronavirus like hundreds of other events worldwide, not because Sony and Geoff Keighly pulled out.

This cancellation will force everyone to do their own thing and then they will all realize they don't actually need E3. E3 is done.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
I imagine several companies will see how things go with an online-only presence this year then realized that it is far more cost-effective to just do that from now on.

How many years now that year has been?

There is no way in hell they haven't analyzed cost-effectiveness of that to hell and back over the years. Fact is that while being less cost-effective events like E3 do give kinda community engagement and hype you just don't get from sterile Twitch stream so that extra "energy" from live event could be seen as worth it.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017

almost 50% of their revenue for the year? that's gonna hurt. hope they have a decent war chest for 2021

DarkSlayer

Jan 18, 2018
Pakistan
Xbox digital event confirmed:

twitter.com

Phil Spencer on Twitter

“E3 has always been an important moment for Team Xbox. Given this decision, this year we'll celebrate the next generation of gaming with the @Xbox community and all who love to play via an Xbox digital event. Details on timing and more in the coming weeks https://t.co/xckMKBPf9h”

Prime2

Oct 25, 2017
This cancellation will force everyone to do their own thing and then they will all realize they don't actually need E3. E3 is done.

That only really works for the big developers and Publishers, the independent teams who rely on those highlight reels of games and meetings they can do at E3 now have a problem.

wildbite

Oct 26, 2017
E3 gave us something to look forward to and get excited about. It helped with predicting when certain games will be shown off. Now it's possible the big companies can announce games any time of the year. I hope an online event is thrown every year in the same tradition as E3 for us to have some idea when our favorite upcoming games will be shown.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Maybe this will force them to do something innovative. I mean atleast coronavirus has given them a platform to market their new approach.

Feb 8, 2018
Strange situation. Not the same type of hype. i'm looking forward to the reveals without a traditional E3. I think even if E3 turns out to be less relevant or even completely irrelevant someday it's still going to leave a mark and announcements will be made around june.

Last edited:

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
All these event cancellations are just brutal for people who make their livelihoods by setting them up and running them. That's a sizable industry in Southern California (and elsewhere). Those people just lost their income for the next several months at least.
Yup, I've only briefly worked with event planning (as a client, not vendor) and I can imagine the amount of sunk costs and downright losses all these cancellations will be causing. I've also got friends who work in event planning for universities and education in general, the situation is not as severe here in Peru yet, but we've already seen a few events being cancelled. Our President just announced the delay of the school year this morning.

kickz

Nov 3, 2017
Damn, this was sort of the kick off to summer when it was E3.

Hope the digital events still bring it

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
My thoughts on this:

First of all, this is good news for the health of everyone included. If someone is question this decision being so "early", the decision is made because this companies need to time to book hotels, flights and plan everything in their booth. I bet this companies were pressuring ESA for a final decision or they would pull out by themself.

Also, nobody hates the event itself (or nobody with a sane mind, at least); what happens here is that people have become dissatisfied on the nature of this event. There's a reason nobody minds PAX/Gamescom/PGW; it's because of the format. It seems the ESA will be forced to get up with the times and finally convert the E3 to a fan convention (as some Pubs wanted) or work a way to remain industry-only in a world in which those Pubs have more ways than ever to connect with fans and each other.

I know this may surprise some, but the E3 is/was still important to several smaller studios; it was a good place to show your product and get some PR/Marketing thanks to the media present and many people used the event to get in contact with Execs, Pubs and such. So, I am really hoping this smalls studios or indies have a way to keep doing that.

As for the "E3 week". I liked the week of news and new games too, and that can still happen. Companies can still make their announcement release trailers and all.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Ubisoft just tweeted that they are thinking of something in lieu of this cancellation.