• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fiel

Oct 30, 2017
I felt online event with publisher line up for online presentation and demo release as presentation end will do much good as everyone can try out new release without have to 3 hours line up in avenue.

Its all win for everyone.

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017
Statement literally says that they're planning E3 2021 now. This is cancelled due to the coronavirus like hundreds of other events worldwide, not because Sony and Geoff Keighly pulled out.

The only thing keeping E3 going is momentum. Developers and publishers go because it's an expectation. Cancelling beaks the momentum, and means plenty of developers and publishers will see that they don't really need E3 anymore.

E3 was an event with diminished health, and thus cancelling for Corona virus could prove fatal.

Timlot

Banned
Nov 27, 2019
Glad to see they are looking into doing an online event. Most only get to experience E3 online anyway so it won't be much different. That's why I'm glad Microsoft is going to be putting their GDC information online. Sony could have done the same instead of canceling everything.

DickGrayson

Alt Account
Jan 30, 2020
There must still exist some form of industry trade show where vendors and producers can mingle and do dirt deals, E3 ain't gunna be it though and the ESA ain't gunna be in charge of it. Obviously E3 will still exist in 2021, but as an even more desiccated and shambling Zombie than it would have been this year.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
All these event cancellations are just brutal for people who make their livelihoods by setting them up and running them. That's a sizable industry in Southern California (and elsewhere). Those people just lost their income for the next several months at least.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
Hard to argue against the call. I'd guess that there's still going to a digital E3 -- officially or not -- around about the same time since I imagine a lot of planning and work has went into stuff that would've been shown

They're not cancelling it because it's a failure. They're cancelling due to a virus. So many people here have a hate boner for E3 for some reason
People saw their fave brand pull out is the reason.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
So an online event? So...basically what Nintendo has done anyway for the last 7 years?

Wow, for once in the company's history, Nintendo is actually ahead of the curve on something.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Everyone knows E3 was BS, but it was fun regardless.

E3 marked the beginning of summer for me for years now, especially as a British kid who used to watch live in the early hours of the morning, warm breeze rolling through the window...

This year, it'll all be digital, and it won't be the same. Gone are the awkward live moments, technical mishaps, presentation slip-ups, memes, etc. Fuck, this year was supposed to be next-gen console announcements, they're always fun.

And who knows what'll happen the year after. RIP.

Same here man, I'll definitely miss it this year.

To better times. To better times.

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
All these event cancellations are just brutal for people who make their livelihoods by setting them up and running them. That's a sizable industry in Southern California (and elsewhere). Those people just lost their income for the next several months at least.
My brother does this in Japan and he might lose his job because of the virus. The reason why they canceled E3 is understandable but I don't get why some people are celebrating.

EarlGreyHot

Oct 27, 2017
Yup.

I know a few people that are very worried right now, myself included.

WishMeLux

Nov 20, 2017
I'll keep my tinfoil hat off on this, it's an appropriate reaction to the current climate regarding COVID19.

I fully expect E3 to be back next year but it'll be interesting to see how it comes together post next gen launches.

Tinfoil hat on. Next gen won't launch this year due to manufacturing shortage and employees working from home/delays on launch content.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
The only thing that surprises me is that it was announced this quickly. I didn't think we'd get an official confirmation until April at the soonest.

Publishers forced their hands. A lot of time and money goes into planning for e3 and publishers didn't want to waste that planning for an event they knew would be canceled.

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
I'll keep my tinfoil hat off on this, it's an appropriate reaction to the current climate regarding COVID19.

I fully expect E3 to be back next year but it'll be interesting to see how it comes together post next gen launches.

Tinfoil hat on. Next gen won't launch this year due to manufacturing shortage and employees working from home/delays on launch content.

Tinfoil hat not needed. I think this is exactly where we are headed at the current trajectory. If things keep up at this pace, we wont see next gen consoles this year.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Going to be super interesting to see exactly how much publishers lose out because of this. If Activision, for example, does a stream for the next Call of Duty with hands-on demos sent to publications, would they really be missing much from the expo experience?

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
End of an ERA...

i remember i first read about E3 in this issue of EGM that i bought in 1995..

egm72.jpg

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
It's for the best with this Virus.

What is it with people thinking E3 is over or that this happened for any reason other than safety? Are people clueless here?

The only reason it was canceled was to help contain this situation and in case things get far, far worse.

Nov 5, 2019
I feel bad for the fantastic cosplayers. I know y'all are shut ins but E3 was fun just for the social gatherings and planning.