• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

x3sphere

Oct 27, 2017
Hard to see 2020 not being big with all the expected console announcements. I haven't gone since 2013 but likely will next year

NutterB

Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft is not really @ E3 either. With both MS and Sony not at the Convention Center, of course there wont be as many people inside.

Jan 15, 2019
2020 will bring it back since we'll have Scarlett, PS5 and Breath of the Wild 2 all at once, but I have doubts about its long-term viability. The internet and social media has been pretty much ubiquitous for about a decade, there's just not as much need to hold a trade show to draw attention to your products as there used to be. As we see often with Nintendo, you can just upload a 30 minute video when ever you want and have "E3" at whatever time of year is convenient without much concern that you'll be missing out on any press or media attention. The year E3 stops will certainly be the end of an era though.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see E3 going anywhere anytime soon. Nintendo treats it like a marquee event, even with Nintendo Directs every two-three months. Microsoft uses it as a big platform with 1 1/2 - 2 hour conferences every year. I think Sony found themselves in a weird position where they had nothing new to announce (second year in a row), so they decided to avoid to avoid negative press. The other publishers/developers were there for the most part outside of the usual missing suspects (Rockstar)

Outside of Gamescom and The Game Awards (thank you again Geoff Keighley) , there really isn't another marquee event on the calendar. Yes there is the Tokyo Game Show, but that is a more regional focus. Pax has lost it's luster since there are four of them every year. Even in this day and age where information comes constantly via the internet and you can make an impactful announcement, there is that special charm with E3.

Call me sentimental, but I think it is great that we have a week every year where our favorite hobby is celebrated globally.

Bad_Boy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Should be huge with the next gen consoles on the horizon. But... i cant help but think sony wont be there again.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
2020 gonna be crazy. Also, I feel the second to last E3

Mad_Rhetoric

Banned
May 7, 2019
MS bug guns? Sony will be bringing big guns as well not just MS lol. Why only MS? I doubt they "Held Back", sony was not event there. Ms is not really ina position to hold back.

Of course Sony will too, I just happen to be more excited for Xbox personally. And they held back gameplay from Halo and Scarlett specifics till next year when next gen will be around the corner.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
It definitely felt like 2012 to me. It's painfully obvious that everyone was holding back. I think things will be much more lively next year.

Neonep

Oct 25, 2017
It definitely felt like 2012 to me. It's painfully obvious that everyone was holding back. I think things will be much more lively next year.
Yeah super obvious. Look at Capcom. Some higher up at Capcom said that there are multiple games in development with the RE engine. They were no shows outside that little RE thing during the Nintendo direct.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
I think it's pretty safe to say next year will be the biggest E3 in recent memory. Sony should be back and bringing PS5, MS will fully reveal Scarlett, Nintendo will be in full-swing with the Switch and likely showing off Prime 4 and BOTW2, and third parties will be all in on bringing top-tier games to all platforms.

It's going to be a lot of fun.

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
2020 will bring it back since we'll have Scarlett, PS5 and Breath of the Wild 2 all at once, but I have doubts about its long-term viability. The internet and social media has been pretty much ubiquitous for about a decade, there's just not as much need to hold a trade show to draw attention to your products as there used to be. As we see often with Nintendo, you can just upload a 30 minute video when ever you want and have "E3" at whatever time of year is convenient without much concern that you'll be missing out on any press or media attention. The year E3 stops will certainly be the end of an era though.

I think it should turn into a PAX/Gamescom type thing if nothing else with panels/competitions/shows on the public days.

ESA should definitely have some working groups to see what they can do to make sure all their member publishers show up with something and how to make that more cost-effective as a marketing tool.

Oct 27, 2017
E3 2020 will be the year of dreams.

Retro's next game
Nintendo EAD game (Mario)
Santa Monica PS5 project (GoW Ragnarok)
Guerrilla Games PS5 project (Horizon 2?)
Final Fantasy XVI by the Realm Reborn team
Starfield gameplay reveal and release date
Bayonetta 3 gameplay reveal and release date
Rocksteady's new game

Critch

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Next year is going to be a huge year. With all the new consoles, all the games announced from the companies that had to keep silent until they had consoles to show them off on, not to mention Nintendo with BOTW2 and Metroid Prime 4.

Long term E3 still has problems, but at least for next year they're going to be real big.

Status
Not open for further replies.