• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lidl

Dec 12, 2017
"The European Union on Monday announced plans to impose $4 billion in tariffs on U.S. goods, continuing a trade war fanned by the Trump administration even while expressing hope for better relations once President-elect Joe Biden takes office.

The list includes a 15 percent tariff on Boeing airplanes and a 25 percent tariff on a sweep of products including tractors, frozen shellfish, gin, suitcases, video game consoles, cotton and salmon."

This will probably only affect Xboxes?

I am having a hard time to find more details about this.
However it seems like the tariffs for US game video game consoles (whatever that may be) were 0% so far:
Product codes 95045000 and 95049080
As of Nov 7th the tariffs were 0%

Welcome to Access2Markets to Market Access Database users | Access2Markets

Welcome to Access2Markets, the new portal for EU exporters and importers!

Last edited:

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
As long as the console isn't manufactured in the US I don't see why it would affect them? And isn't the amount of consoles manufactured in the US effectively 0 because it's way cheaper in various Asian countries?

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
Probably won't come into effect until Biden is sworn in, so he can barter a decent deal.
The EU prides itself in our merchant acumen so a deal is always the goal.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Europe already get f*cked with $ to € conversion, this is just cherry on cake at this point.

Last edited:

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
"The European Union on Monday announced plans to impose $4 billion in tariffs on U.S. goods, continuing a trade war fanned by the Trump administration even while expressing hope for better relations once President-elect Joe Biden takes office.

The list includes a 15 percent tariff on Boeing airplanes and a 25 percent tariff on a sweep of products including tractors, frozen shellfish, gin, suitcases, video game consoles, cotton and salmon."

This will probably only affect Xboxes?
Correct.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
I don't really know what consoles they are thinking about.
All are manufactured in China after all, aren't they?

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
Lmao... These idiots (and i don't care about console price. They won't be affected by this).

Skeff

Oct 29, 2017
If this affects xbox and not PS than EU will be even more Sony land however I dont expect either console will be subject to this. Probably all classes as coming from manufacturing plant in Asia I guess?

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
As long as the console isn't manufactured in the US I don't see why it would affect them? And isn't the amount of consoles manufactured in the US effectively 0 because it's way cheaper in various Asian countries?
Does it affect games? THough I don't imagine any games are printed here either.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
Do they consider Xboxes as a US export since Microsoft is a US company maybe?
I mean they're manufactured in Mexico for the most part, right?

But technically it's a US product?

Cokesouls

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Are we really going back to the old days? Europe gets shafted 24/7? Fucks sake.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe this would have an impact on Playdate and the Amico? Can't imagine it directly affecting anything else

NineTailSage

Jan 26, 2020
Hidden Leaf

It's still considered an American product though.
Companies are known for finding or creating a shell company to use the same innards of the product and slap a different shell on the outside. We saw this a lot in the past with cars being sold in different countries, hell even Nintendo made the iQue to sell in China which was their version of N64.

Oct 25, 2017
OP
OP
Lidl

Lidl

Dec 12, 2017
I am having a hard time to find more details about this.
However it seems like the tariffs for US game video game consoles (whatever that may be) were 0% so far:
Product codes 95045000 and 95049080
As of Nov 7th the tariffs were 0%

OP
OP
Lidl

Lidl

Dec 12, 2017
But which "video game consoles and machines", quoting the above document, are there that are also assembled in the US of A?`
Without more details I'd assume so as well.

Jtrizzy

Nov 13, 2017
I work for a French wine importer, we have been getting killed by the trade war over Airbus/Boeing for the last year. Praying that Biden will end all of this ASAP.

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It is owned by Sony Corporation, a Japanese company. Can something like a PS5 be considered a U.S. good when SIE is just a branch of Sony?
SIE is not "just a branch of Sony", it's an entire company wholly owned by Sony Corp. So while the parent company(Sony) is a Japanese company, SIE is a company located in California.
Yes, but Tencent owns like 45% of Epic and we don't consider Epic to be a half Chinese company. But in all honesty I'm pretty sure where the company is based out of matters for these things, not where the parent Corp is located, but I obviously could be wrong.
Sweet, Sony is Japanese so not worried.
Sony is, PlayStation is not.
What does "winning" even mean here? It's an answer to Trump's tariffs.
No one really "wins" it just is losing to different degrees