• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Incredible game, I've got hundreds of hours in both Factorio and Satisfactory and this is similar to both of them on some levels but different enough that it doesn't just feel like a clone.

Well worth the money so far.
Its also good for a casual to the genre like me. Satisfactory was too...fudgy for me I guess, but this feels far easier and satisfying to play.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I think there are some setup of splitters than can be used to raise one elevation.
I'm making due with these unsightly 5x5 spirals. Just gimme those lifts from Satisfactory I'd be set.

EDIT: I have run into a problem, namely: once you go above +8 elevation, your power transmitter towers can't power your sorters!

yaaaaay

E2: Okay, wait, this is weird. One one side of my Tower of Belts, I can bring supplies right up to the edge of the assemblers. On the other side, it collides when I try that.

Last edited:

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
yyyup, welcome to grid crush because of square grid mapped to a sphere
Profoundly annoying, but managed to make it work!

84E8B1DE1081F422177F183149AB07A74F2B7854

Full building automation rebuild complete. Now to figure out how to handle the research. Right now it's on a seperate line, but I'm wondering if it might be better to route the extra production lines back to the main throughput and figure out something that scales better.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Started making purple research. 6/min per research building is hilariously low (Need 166.6 min to do 1000 for extra research speed). Gotta put a fuck ton of then to get some resemblance of speed.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Falk I am thinking of setting up a base in the barren world. Would exporting hydrogen to thermally burn them be a good idea?

Otherwise, hydrogen batteries? (I dont have production yet to streamline deuterium batteries).

Last edited:

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
This is my first "factory" game and I'm pretty overwhelmed but finally getting the hang of the production line loop. It's such a time sink, thank god for that real clock in the corner or I'd lose my entire night playing this 😄

One thing though is that I unlocked inter-planetary travel a while ago but I'm still too scared to leave my home planet. I may stay until I'm forced to look elsewhere for resources.

Falk

Oct 26, 2017
Falk I am thinking of setting up a base in the barren world. Would exporting hydrogen to thermally burn them be a good idea?

Otherwise, hydrogen batteries? (I dont have production yet to streamline deuterium batteries).

My experience shipping Hydrogen batteries was that 2h later I'm in a position to ship Deuterium batteries lol

but yes that's far preferable than shipping Hydrogen itself, following the overall mindset that it's better to ship product than raw mats whenever the product stacks better and results in less traffic

for stuff like that it's probably best to actually work out the numbers so you know if what you're making will be sufficient and you have enough transport bandwidth to handle it- just at least ballpark numbers on what the power draw would be like for what you're thinking up, adding maybe 25% to that and converting it to number of rods per sec, then seeing whether your production covers that (while still having enough for home planet) and how much shipping it'd take.

p.s. the other option which actually is way more fun is using Dyson shit to power other planets in the system. Probably you could do that in tandem then scale from Hydro batteries to Dyson instead of fusion plants.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
My experience shipping Hydrogen batteries was that 2h later I'm in a position to ship Deuterium batteries lol

but yes that's far preferable than shipping Hydrogen itself
Yeah, I should be able to ship Deuterium soon. I have all the titanium alloy needed for megastructures, but I dont have the silicon production with only 1 mine to do all I want, so moving to the Titanium / Silicon planet should solve that.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I should be able to ship Deuterium soon. I have all the titanium alloy needed for megastructures, but I dont have the silicon production with only 1 mine to do all I want, so moving to the Titanium / Silicon planet should solve that.
And I now have 3 deuterium batteries assemblers working well. I need to optimize my yellow cube production cause that is the one that I am lacking the most because it was being made in the background while I was trying to fix my "purple" issue. Main problem is fucking sulfur (which is fuckign annoying to make).
Guess I will need to see if I can find any solar system close by that has a sulfur sea and just use that, so thats my next research focus I guess. How does intersystem transport work? Do they "use" warps or do they only need 1 forever?

Also, does "lava" sea have any use? Can I pump it to get any resource? XD

Falk

Oct 26, 2017
warps are consumable

edit: to put it in perspective, the 4000 white cubes you need for 'game complete' (notwitstanding infinite research, etc) would be 4000 green cubes or the equivalent of 32,000 warps, or 16,000 round trips

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
warps are consumable

edit: to put it in perspective, the 4000 white cubes you need for 'game complete' (notwitstanding infinite research, etc) would be 4000 green cubes or the equivalent of 32,000 warps, or 16,000 round trips
Big UF. How long does it take for ships to do 2 light years without warp? I found a nice planet there with sulfur oceans and I have 0 desire of wasting warps on that.

Falk

Oct 26, 2017
rofl I meant that as 'by the time you're automating white cubes warps being consumable are a nonissue'

2LY would be hours

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
rofl I meant that as 'by the time you're automating white cubes warps being consumable are a nonissue'

2LY would be hours
So RIP my dream of getting free sulfur from that planet for now.
Edit: seems I can make warps without needing sulfur... the plan is back on track.
It needs Diamonds (so coal), and Strange Matter (Deuterium from hydrogen, iron, and particle container). The only thing that needs sulfur is graphene which i am using the fire ice recipe for nice.

construct

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Jun 5, 2020
東京
im at the point where i need to make yellow cubes but that requires titanium. so i flew to a lava planet which has plenty but... flying from planet to planet via mech seems very tedious. please tell me i dont have to do this a lot. the controls for flying in general are pretty bad unless im missing something

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
im at the point where i need to make yellow cubes but that requires titanium. so i flew to a lava planet which has plenty but... flying from planet to planet via mech seems very tedious. please tell me i dont have to do this a lot. the controls for flying in general are pretty bad unless im missing something
Depending on how many stacks of titanium you take back you should have enough to make enough yellow cubes to unlock interplanetary logistics in the skill tree in 1-2 trips.

It took reading the guide online but I finally have the hang of flying. The part that's annoying is having use energy bar for every single action, including slowing down. If you blast off with a full bar you can speed up with the Shift key and get between planets pretty quick.

construct

Jun 5, 2020
東京
Depending on how many stacks of titanium you take back you should have enough to make enough yellow cubes to unlock interplanetary logistics in the skill tree in 1-2 trips.

It took reading the guide online but I finally have the hang of flying. The part that's annoying is having use energy bar for every single action, including slowing down. If you blast off with a full bar you can speed up with the Shift key and get between planets pretty quick.
ah, ill check out some videos then, thanks. im better at it now but missing the planet you mean to land on sure is infuriating. it seems like holing "w" goes where the cursor is which helps a lot. i have no idea what "alt" does while in space, it seems to just fuck everything up

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
ah, ill check out some videos then, thanks. im better at it now but missing the planet you mean to land on sure is infuriating. it seems like holing "w" goes where the cursor is which helps a lot. i have no idea what "alt" does while in space, it seems to just fuck everything up
You shouldnt focus that much on the graphic part and look into the circle that is next to the speedometer. The orange circle is the planet (light color is the planet surface, darker orange is atmosphere). So you need to be targetting that circle. You can strife with A and D and with W if you are looking at it.
Using W moves you in the direction of where you are looking in the camera (3D) so there you should focus on the 3D part "visual" part.

Otherwise, I recommend saving the first times you are doing some flying just in case you fuck up.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Some rare materials are perhaps too powerful. Some of them literally let you skip a ton of processes. For instance, organic crystals (which are a bit of a complex thing requiring a ton of oil and energy)? Done in one.
Same with sulfur. Problem is sulfur doesnt have much use outside of titanium alloys if you get fire ice (which you should).

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is this game Starcraft with no combat?
That's kinda what I wants.

I liked Factorio, but I don't want combats and a nicer UI would be gud

OP
OP
Ultron

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Is this game Starcraft with no combat?
That's kinda what I wants.

I liked Factorio, but I don't want combats and a nicer UI would be gud

I don't think Starcraft is a very close point of comparison. You aren't really building units at all, except for automated drones, and it's a much slower paced thing. It certainly takes some UI inspirations from RTS games, especially Supreme Commander and Planetary Annihilation though, so maybe that's where you're seeing it. It currently doesn't have combat, though apparently they want to add it at some point in the future.

It's much prettier than Factorio, and the UI has plusses and minuses compared to it.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Starcraft is a very close point of comparison. You aren't really building units at all, except for automated drones, and it's a much slower paced thing. It certainly takes some UI inspirations from RTS games, especially Supreme Commander and Planetary Annihilation though, so maybe that's where you're seeing it. It currently doesn't have combat, though apparently they want to add it at some point in the future.

It's much prettier than Factorio, and the UI has plusses and minuses compared to it.
👍

Falk

Oct 26, 2017
Tiling is so good- it actually breaks about even on footprint per output/s vs rows of mk3 assemblers making parts just because of the belt spaced saved via direct insertion

qFTY8RO.png

RGB

Nov 13, 2017
Such a bargain, out of nowhere. I'm not one to play Factorio, Satisfactory, and the like past their soft end goals and it'll be the same here (maybe revisit at 1.0) but I got my money's worth many times over in the 80 or so hours it took to get here.

8IKy2Eh.jpg

Falk

Oct 26, 2017
this game invariably ends up with big 90s pc game box art energy when logistic stations go up lol

construct

Jun 5, 2020
東京
here's the patch notes
Dear engineers,

Chinese New Year is just around the corner and we wish to extend our best wishes to all of you! Despite that, the journey towards the starry sea will continue, so don't forget to replenish and re-energize yourselves while awaiting our return!

As a going-on-holiday gift, we present to you our last update before Chinese New Year's eve! As promised a few days ago, Keybinding and Quick Upgrade functions are now launched in this patch. And guess what, we also brought you an extra present - the Chain Dismantle function!

We're taking a short break and will be out of the office for a few days to celebrate Chinese New Year before returning to bring you more anticipated and fancy game updates. After the holidays, we will begin work on delivering a multi-language patch. Stay tuned!

~Best wishes and Happy Chinese New Year~

[Version 0.6.16.5759]
Feature:
  • Quick Upgrade: You are able to upgrade the conveyor belt, sorter, and assembling machine by directly putting the new ones (cover/overlap/move) on the lower grade ones.
  • Chain Upgrade and Chain Dismantle: You are able to upgrade or dismantle a whole conveyor belt directly with this new function.
  • Keybinding: You are able to rebind hotkeys.
  • Add a hint message of pressing 'SHIFT' to accelerate while sailing.

Change:
  • We modified the planet generation to make it easier to start. From now on, there must be 6 iron and 6 copper beside Icarus's landing place.
  • We changed the saving process to relieve the memory pressure. The savedata will be written directly to the hard disk.

Balance:
  • Reduce the energy consumption of deceleration and steering in sail mode.

Bugfix:
  • Fixed a bug that the lights of the energy exchangers flash for no reason.
  • Fixed a bug where the arrow on the energy exchanger panel might be reversed.

Thank you for your continuing support! Looking forward to your feedback in Discord and Google Form! See you next time!

unrealted to the patch, i think icarus needs a buff. even after 24 hours, the little bots upkeep and abilities are underwhelming and feel like the biggest bottleneck

Jamesac68

Oct 27, 2017
This is my first "factory" game and I'm pretty overwhelmed but finally getting the hang of the production line loop. It's such a time sink, thank god for that real clock in the corner or I'd lose my entire night playing this 😄

One thing though is that I unlocked inter-planetary travel a while ago but I'm still too scared to leave my home planet. I may stay until I'm forced to look elsewhere for resources.

You've probably left home planet by now but even so, yeah, head to the skies! Not only are there more resources out there, but if you get a frozen ice planet in the home solar system it's basically a giant unspoiled sphere to build on. Once I realized that my entire plan for the production changed, because why work around oceans and those foundation plates when the entire planet is just a massive spherical platform just waiting to be optimized? Original planet has plenty of oil wells, and I'll definitely be exploiting that, but perfect ice sphere is fantastic for production.

Falk

Oct 26, 2017
i am never putting anything but smelters on a planet with a 3AU orbit ever again

HypedBulborb

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Man, I am so fucking addicted to this game, I already have 50 hours clocked after like 10 days of playing.

here's the patch notes

unrealted to the patch, i think icarus needs a buff. even after 24 hours, the little bots upkeep and abilities are underwhelming and feel like the biggest bottleneck

These patch notes are game changing for me, the quick upgrade and chain upgrade/dismantling especially.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
You've probably left home planet by now but even so, yeah, head to the skies! Not only are there more resources out there, but if you get a frozen ice planet in the home solar system it's basically a giant unspoiled sphere to build on. Once I realized that my entire plan for the production changed, because why work around oceans and those foundation plates when the entire planet is just a massive spherical platform just waiting to be optimized? Original planet has plenty of oil wells, and I'll definitely be exploiting that, but perfect ice sphere is fantastic for production.
I did finally get brave enough to leave but only after I unlocked the yellow cubes and I was forced to leave to search for titanium.

Now the hurdle I'm trying to overcome is generating enough power for interplanetary logistics. I was not prepared at all for the power drain those units are. I really don't want to have to do the solar equator belt that seems to be all the rage. I just unlocked fission (fusion?) plants but I'm not sure I can keep those going consistently.

OP
OP
Ultron

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I finally got planet to planet logistics set up. I'm so excited. No more hauling stuff back and forth for me! Yay!

Falk

Oct 26, 2017
hfkWtMz.jpg

Current run hit 2/s purple at 11h (instead of rushing 7h, I diverted to beefing up infrastructure in prep for green) and 2/s green at 14h40min.

Definitely still a lot that can be trimmed/optimized but I've solidified my early game build-order/meta layouts to the point I think it's a versatile enough start to do various things.

Ignoring Sphere and just getting like 16/s Swarm up could easily get this to transition into Game Complete around the 15h mark with some optimization, and these aren't even close to speedrun-tier performances lol

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
OK, this is extremely embarrassing but I only realized yesterday that I misunderstood one of the basic aspects of the gameplay and wasted countless hours/resources. I thought the labs were only for making cubes and I've been doing all of my research manually 😭

The game kept spamming me with "research too slow" prompts and I thought it was telling me that I needed MORE labs running so I kept building more and more and pouring all of my resources into cube production, 10s of thousands of blue/red cubes at this point. I knew that something seemed off, what could I possibly need all these cubes for? But I thought that maybe the later cubes would burn red/blue for resources. So yesterday when I unlocked purple and it still didn't require cubes I built a lab on a blank square and saw I could assign research to it 😑

It feels awful to think about the time wasted but now I'm thinking that it may be best to just start over.

construct

Jun 5, 2020
東京
OK, this is extremely embarrassing but I only realized yesterday that I misunderstood one of the basic aspects of the gameplay and wasted countless hours/resources. I thought the labs were only for making cubes and I've been doing all of my research manually 😭

The game kept spamming me with "research too slow" prompts and I thought it was telling me that I needed MORE labs running so I kept building more and more and pouring all of my resources into cube production, 10s of thousands of blue/red cubes at this point. I knew that something seemed off, what could I possibly need all these cubes for? But I thought that maybe the later cubes would burn red/blue for resources. So yesterday when I unlocked purple and it still didn't require cubes I built a lab on a blank square and saw I could assign research to it 😑

It feels awful to think about the time wasted but now I'm thinking that it may be best to just start over.
as someone who started over let me tell you there is no reason to start over

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
as someone who started over let me tell you there is no reason to start over
I'm having a tough time trying to figure out how to correct course. I've burned through so much copper/iron on the home planet making blue cubes. The red cubes resources were mostly oil that won't run out so not too much harm there. I did waste quite a bit of coal that may come back to bite me though if I need it later. Is there something that unlocks later in the game that will justify the ungodly amount of cubes I've amassed?

Falk

Oct 26, 2017
how much iron/copper is there in your home system? (v, click the star)

if it's >5mil you're good, if you luck into a 20M planet2/3 you wouldn't need to worry about it, things get really tight if the combined iron in the entire system is less than 5M or so, but even then honestly 10k blue cubes is really a drop in the pond for that- there's way way bigger iron/copper sinks, especially big buffers of turbines.

edit: to put it in perspective, an ILS sitting with a full buffer of 10k turbines is literally 100k iron ore

edit2: all that being said though, 5M is still plenty to get you through warpers comfortably even on a first run learning stuff. Just gotta be a little more mindful of what burns what resources permanently vs what ends up being a buffer you end up using down the line anyway.

The biggest actual 'burn' is probably going hard on solar sails for a swarm since those eat rocks like candy and are a power source that just runs full tilt regardless of actual consumption (as opposed to thermal/fusion generators where burn rate scales according to how much you're using)

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
how much iron/copper is there in your home system? (v, click the star)

if it's >5mil you're good, if you luck into a 20M planet2/3 you wouldn't need to worry about it, things get really tight if the combined iron in the entire system is less than 5M or so, but even then honestly 10k blue cubes is really a drop in the pond for that- there's way way bigger iron/copper sinks, especially big buffers of turbines.

edit: to put it in perspective, an ILS sitting with a full buffer of 10k turbines is literally 100k iron ore

edit2: all that being said though, 5M is still plenty to get you through warpers comfortably even on a first run learning stuff. Just gotta be a little more mindful of what burns what resources permanently vs what ends up being a buffer you end up using down the line anyway.

The biggest actual 'burn' is probably going hard on solar sails for a swarm since those eat rocks like candy and are a power source that just runs full tilt regardless of actual consumption (as opposed to thermal/fusion generators where burn rate scales according to how much you're using)
I'll take a look and see how much I have left to work with. I was pretty disappointed yesterday when I realized my mistake and haven't logged back in since. If I continue with this save I'm going to have lot of work to do ripping down production lines so I can set up correctly for the rest of the game. I'm going to have to be careful as I'm doing it too since the game destroys anything you can't fit in your inventory. I'm hoping that gets patched into a stall on moving objects in the future.