• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
I'm having a fun time figuring out how 5.8 from IGN makes a game great(their words with that 5.8 score) and its funny seeing that they pulled the review video from youtube but left their website version up.

I wouldn't call that great, to be sure, but if they are using the full scale then the score is still above average. Just extremely slightly.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't call that great, to be sure, but if they are using the full scale then the score is still above average. Just extremely slightly.
but the odd thing is you can see other games with a 7.9 be considered "Good" by their standards.... IGN's a mess sometimes and very inconsistent.

Uh this is gaming review scores. So anything below a 7 is trash. A 7 is mediocre, at best.
I'm just saying that with the way they word games with scores... a 5.8 = great while a game with a 7.9 =good ... something's a little odd lol.
Personally i dont care about scores on Musou titles since i got used to the old "Another year another dynasty warriors title" meme reviewers did during the ps2 era.

Gunkankun

Oct 29, 2017
Does anyone know if we can get the early purchase content if we got it disc version? Also, was hoping Jim's review would shed some light on the game and was hoping there would be more to it the game. Didnt they say a patch was coming?

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
Uh this is gaming review scores. So anything below a 7 is trash. A 7 is mediocre, at best.

Which is why I dislike it when many websites use the scores that way. It ruins the whole idea of the ten point scale.

If "good" only starts at 7, then you definitely don't need to have six different categories of "bad". Use a five star system.

Namtox

Nov 3, 2017
Your review is certainly more balanced and arguably more accurate than Jim Sterling's extended rant against literally every single aspect of the game.

It still is a title with apparent performance problems on every platform and there are issues with the open world that may in fact detract from the concept for some folks, but it is still quite possible to enjoy the game in spite of that.

Thanks, I tried to be fair and showcase those problems, but sometimes it get's easy to lose yourself in the obvious and not dig deeper and see what the actual game is about.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Sorry, cant say good things about that game when Warriors orochi 3 ultimate was a better overall package for a cheaper price. (if Warriors All-Stars had the cast number or amount of content of WO3U i'd say different things)
Also folks... since when does 5.8 on a review = great or is IGN being crazy? Like a 5/10 doesnt scream anything good or barley using the term average since thats below average.
I love both games for their own reasons. WO3 is incredible, but WAS is a fun game in its own right with a fantastic roster.

ScoutDave

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks, I tried to be fair and showcase those problems, but sometimes it get's easy to lose yourself in the obvious and not dig deeper and see what the actual game is about.

I enjoyed your review as well dude. I thought it was fair. There is obvious issues, but there is still fun to be had there.

Slackbladder

Nov 24, 2017
Kent
I would have considered getting this on PC for £35, maybe. But who in their right mind would spend £50 on something so poor. I can tolerate a lot but I can not tolerate greed. £50 (£55 without the 10% reduction) and a £19 season pass for something that is lucky to get middling reviews at best. Koei have no sense of their own averageness.

Oct 26, 2017
All right, I bought the PC version. There's a lot of conflicting reports on it--some folks with beefy rigs report that the game runs poorly, and some folks with lesser rigs report that it runs smoothly.

I need to experience this game myself--reviews be damned. If it performs poorly for me, and no fix can help me, then I'll have to hold out for a fix from T/K themselves.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
It's a great review. I intend to review the game as well (probably won't be up for at least a week or maybe two). I'll be playing it on a regular, non-Pro PS4, but I love these games and I hope I enjoy it.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Jim posted his impressions on the game. He really hates it.

Ouch! I didn't think I would skip a mainline DW title, but I guess that is happening. Hopefully they can salvage anything from this. But I don't know, it looks absolutely terrible. I would even go so far to call it amateurish.

Last edited:

Oct 30, 2017
I think someone earlier posted panda interest.

dynastywarriors9_screenshot11_0.jpg

can someone please tell me more about the pandas in this game?

do you fight them, befriend them, ride them... what?

i haven't played a dynasty warriors game since the PSP but i am open to changing this for solid panda content.

Squidi

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Warriors All-Stars is one of my favorite Musous and I will not stand for this slander, good sir and/or madam!
I think All-Stars is definitely the most underrated Musou, but it gives off the worst first impression and distributes the content unevenly (there were entire levels that I saw ONCE in over 20 hours of play - like four or five of them!). You really need to be a fan of non-Musou Koei games (Nights of Azure, Atelier Sophie, Deception, Toukiden) and need to play through the three or four major endings to appreciate it.

I'd be up for another with a less confusing mission structure.

AdrianG4

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Hm, while Jim Sterling's video impressions video certainly leaves me feeling very concerned -- the game still has a 70 MC score, so IDK what to do right now haha .. I guess I'll let more reviews come in to fill out the final score by tomorrow.

Waggles

Oct 26, 2017
I was looking forward to playing a mainline musou after having only ever played spinoffs like One piece, DQ, Hyrule, and Berserk.

Guess I won't be doing that any time soon. Shame. Hopefully there's a new anime musou on the horizon to satisfy the itch. If not, Hyrule Warriors DX is coming soon enough.

R_thanatos

Oct 27, 2017
From people who have the game i have a question.
I know that the game doesn't restrict you from going straight to the goal of a chapter , even if it might be high level. It's a good thing since from my understanding doing the side missions should lower the main mission difficulty.
Am i right so far ?
I've watched 3 vids/review so far but i need confirmation. Is it really that easy ( to get straight to the main goal ) or does this problem absent in higher difficulties.
I like the idea of pushing the "front" of the war in order to progress but if it's meaningless .....

So my question is : is it that easy to go straight to the goal on normal difficulty ?

Also : i get that the battle system has changed , but i'm unsure about the new "flow system" , was it ?
Is there a vid or a tutorial i can watch that explain how it works *?

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
Hm, while Jim Sterling's video impressions video certainly leaves me feeling very concerned -- the game still has a 70 MC score, so IDK what to do right now haha .. I guess I'll let more reviews come in to fill out the final score by tomorrow.

This might only be a mild shock (tm), but Jim Sterling is as much of a subjective individual as any other bag of flesh and bones. It's entirely possible that your experience will be better than his own, or far worse, depending on what you expect and do. For instance, I suspect several of those who are giving the game higher scores must have raised the difficulty level.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
I can't stop playing damn it

Map clearing right now, I'm so happy that every landmark only ever needs to be discovered once.....makes every following play through going to be a nice hack fest

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I was looking forward to playing a mainline musou after having only ever played spinoffs like One piece, DQ, Hyrule, and Berserk.

Guess I won't be doing that any time soon. Shame. Hopefully there's a new anime musou on the horizon to satisfy the itch. If not, Hyrule Warriors DX is coming soon enough.
Yeah I'll be getting Hyrule Warriors on the Switch instead.

NZerker12

Oct 25, 2017
From people who have the game i have a question.
I know that the game doesn't restrict you from going straight to the goal of a chapter , even if it might be high level. It's a good thing since from my understanding doing the side missions should lower the main mission difficulty.
Am i right so far ?
I've watched 3 vids/review so far but i need confirmation. Is it really that easy ( to get straight to the main goal ) or does this problem absent in higher difficulties.
I like the idea of pushing the "front" of the war in order to progress but if it's meaningless .....

So my question is : is it that easy to go straight to the goal on normal difficulty ?

Also : i get that the battle system has changed , but i'm unsure about the new "flow system" , was it ?
Is there a vid or a tutorial i can watch that explain how it works *?

You can go straight there and challenge the main enemy but be warned on hard or chaos doing so at a lower level (while doable providing there are no other enemies around) is a death sentence. Named generals and normal commanders will block and roll out of the way and will punish you. If you want a challenge play on hard.

The state combo system basically changes your attack string depending on what state the enemy is in. You have 4 different states "Neutral", "Airborne", "Stun" and "Knockdown". If your enemy is in a neutral state you will use your default attack string, Airborne enemies will make you do a air combo, Stun you do a combo of powerful strikes and finally Knockdown (enemy on the floor) your character will do a combo of quick attacks to take advantage of the position.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
This might only be a mild shock (tm), but Jim Sterling is as much of a subjective individual as any other bag of flesh and bones. It's entirely possible that your experience will be better than his own, or far worse, depending on what you expect and do. For instance, I suspect several of those who are giving the game higher scores must have raised the difficulty level.
I dunno, I expect they just managed to avoid a lot of the glaring technical issues and played on a PS4 Pro. I can't see how any site would give it any higher than a 7 with how many bugs, glitches and performance issues it has.

I've had fun with the game, but the game really isn't that great from a technical level. It runs really poorly on my regular PS4. Side quest random generation is borderline broken with it constantly generating the same target location. The way the game generates units is completely flawed and puts them in places they can't move (see the wolves in Jim's video, but I also experienced it when the game spawned some troops off the side of the map underwater). The game has bad pop in, both textures and models. The voices glitch in and out randomly.

Fortunately, technical issues in theory can be patched, so I really hope they pick up the pieces.

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
*starts to see the reviews posted and especially Jim Sterling's Jimpressions on it*

Uh Oh.

I mean seriously. I know I posted the other day about being cautious about the game, but for the embargo to finally be lifted and this is what we got? What the bloody hell happened?! I mean, I liked the idea of an "Open World Dynasty Warriors" game, but I thought that was going to be something like a "Free Mode" or something in regards to the other mode where you could perhaps run around an open world china and be able to do random things apart from the main game. Not this actually being the main game itself and how the rest of the game gets dragged under in the process, including the lack of originality and weapon variety.

Sad to think that we are barely at Tuesday and yet we are already saying to ourselves "Monday is coming."

Mechanized

Oct 27, 2017
Wait wait wait... why did they remove the iconic character-specific weapons? That was like half the appeal of trying a character.

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno, I expect they just managed to avoid a lot of the glaring technical issues and played on a PS4 Pro. I can't see how any site would give it any higher than a 7 with how many bugs, glitches and performance issues it has.

I've had fun with the game, but the game really isn't that great from a technical level. It runs really poorly on my regular PS4. Side quest random generation is borderline broken with it constantly generating the same target location. The way the game generates units is completely flawed and puts them in places they can't move (see the wolves in Jim's video, but I also experienced it when the game spawned some troops off the side of the map underwater). The game has bad pop in, both textures and models. The voices glitch in and out randomly.

Fortunately, technical issues in theory can be patched, so I really hope they pick up the pieces.

This is fair enough. One would have to be either very cynical or very blind in order to not criticize the technical issues and admit the impact they can have on performance, even if they don't get in the way of the experience all the time. That's an objective problem with DW9 and, based on this alone, I wouldn't exactly give the game a high score either. I am also hoping that a couple of patches will help reduce the many glitches.

What's much more subjective is whether the game is "fun" or not. If you go by Jim himself, he didn't feel a single ounce of enjoyment, but that's clearly not the case for everyone. We can debate the various buggy aspects of the open world design, acknowledging it is mostly an empty world out there, and yet disagree about whether or not there are any positives to it.

There's also room to discuss the AI behavior, which seems to only be strictly passive on the pre-release review copies and even then when played at normal difficulty or lower. If I had to play the game under those conditions, I'd surely be bored to death, but I was lucky enough to see more videos and notice that the difficulty settings do make a difference here.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Like i can understand removing some of the crazy weapons aka Jin's stupid gatling gun/ harpoon gun/ anything with tech. But removing claws/tonfas and those sorts of weapons made no sense.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Wait wait wait... why did they remove the iconic character-specific weapons? That was like half the appeal of trying a character.
They rebuilt the combat system with new animations for every character. For a roster with ~90 characters, shipping with everyone's signature weapon styles would have taken longer to develop. (But this is still a far better situation than DW6.)

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The combat system is actually pretty interesting, seems a lot more fluid than the other games in the series.

The rest...man fuck this. I shouldn't be spending hours on the Yellow Turban Rebellion.

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
They rebuilt the combat system with new animations for every character. For a roster with ~90 characters, shipping with everyone's signature weapon styles would have taken longer to develop. (But this is still a far better situation than DW6.)

Which is why I want to see if we'll ever get some behind-the-scenes dirt about the development process. Even if I don't think the game is this giant flaming monster of non-enjoyment and a total lost cause until the end of time, it is definitely the mediocre result of many compromises and who knows what else.

NeroPaige

Jan 8, 2018
I've only played in order (on PC):

Pirate Warriors 3 - my first musou game. Boy was the gameplay surprisingly good and well thought out. The scenerey is PS3 levels but they put a lot of love into the characters and combat.

Berserk - forgettable and not not recomended.

Warriors All-Stars - it's ok, but I'm not really the best judge because I've only played the two above. It's underlying aim is more of a collectathon and unlockathon (regard levels, friendship gifts). Now this is not really bad in the grand scheme of things if the combat was "it's own reward". The combat is ok, but not Pirate Warriors 3 level so it ends up being sort of above average.

Haven't played but am considering:

Spirit of Sanada and this latest Dynasty Warriors.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
The combat system is actually pretty interesting, seems a lot more fluid than the other games in the series.

The rest...man fuck this. I shouldn't be spending hours on the Yellow Turban Rebellion.

First time through you will spend a lot more time on campaigns than compared to the old series. But sequential runs should be insanely quick or optimized since you will have discovered and know the map itself

Waggles

Oct 26, 2017
I've only played in order (on PC):

Pirate Warriors 3 - my first musou game. Boy was the gameplay surprisingly good and well thought out. The scenerey is PS3 levels but they put a lot of love into the characters and combat.

Berserk - forgettable and not not recomended.

Warriors All-Stars - it's ok, but I'm not really the best judge because I've only played the two above. It's underlying aim is more of a collectathon and unlockathon (regard levels, friendship gifts). Now this is not really bad in the grand scheme of things if the combat was "it's own reward". The combat is ok, but not Pirate Warriors 3 level so it ends up being sort of above average.

Haven't played but am considering:

Spirit of Sanada and this latest Dynasty Warriors.

Fully agree on Pirates and Berserk. Shame there's still no Pirate Warriors 4 on the horizon, and Bamco claimed no plans for it either.

If Hyrule wasn't so damn grindy, I'd call it the best of the bunch. It's still one of the better, but Pirates 3 may just edge it out.

I've heard good things about Sanada, but I passed on it because of Dienasty 9 coming :p. It's all but disappeared from my local stores now. I'll probably still pass on it all together now since Hyrule is on the way.

KaiPow

Oct 25, 2017
Several of the weapons such as the music items, Ma Dai's paint brush, and Zhang He's claws are not in the game, unless they are released later as DLC.

And Huang Zhong doesn't have his signature bow (probably because everyone can use archery, but still!).

I'm most salty about Zhou Tai losing his quick draw katana.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
First time through you will spend a lot more time on campaigns than compared to the old series. But sequential runs should be insanely quick or optimized since you will have discovered and know the map itself
And I mean, we all should have expected that the game would start with the Yellow Turban Rebellion.

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
I've heard good things about Sanada, but I passed on it because of Dienasty 9 coming :p. It's all but disappeared from my local stores now. I'll probably still pass on it all together now since Hyrule is on the way.

Sanada is surprisingly decent, especially if you appreciate having a more focused storytelling in this type of game.

You could also go back to DW8 in any of its various complete editions. It's still more polished and representative of the series.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Sanada is ok...but it has alot of bloat. there are exploartion missions where you must go through boring maps, there is also fishing and gathering stuff. Many of the bloat things of DW9 you also see in Sanada. And Sanada is ultra heavy on Cutscenes, running from A to B, B to A.

The Game itself is the same as Samurai Warriors 4-II, albeit a little tweaked in the combat department and there is a Day/Night System.
You can unlock all Characters of SW 4-2 but you play the story as you guess it-the Sanadas...

KaiPow

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, and Lu Bu is stuck with Red Hare (you can't swap it out at a stable/hideaway)

You'd think that would be a good thing, except it's quickly outclassed by any level 100 horse. Lu Bu ends up being slower than any other character because of that.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Oh, and Lu Bu is stuck with Red Hare (you can't swap it out at a stable/hideaway)

You'd think that would be a good thing, except it's quickly outclassed by any level 100 horse. Lu Bu ends up being slower than any other character because of that.
Can Red Hare not level up?

Deleted member 13642

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am highly skilled at ignoring critical and user consensus when it comes to Dynasty Warriors games but the general sentiment out there looks fucking toxic.

I guess.. I guess I'll skip it. With great sorrow, mind you.