• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NZerker12

Oct 25, 2017
Nzerker12, would you recommend the game based on what you've played?

I can't answer for him, but as somebody who has played every single Warriors game. As a Warriors fan, I'd say jump in. The combat is so good and the back and forth on the higher difficulty settings can make for pretty exciting fights. It has its faults, no doubt about it, some that have always been around and some that are new because of the open world. Despite all of the issues, at the end of the day I'm still having a ton of fun. I've already dumped 15 hours into Guan Yu, let alone the rest of the 89 playable characters.

I Pretty much agree with what Namtox says.

To add my own take, the new state combo system is fun but does have some issues which can lead to a repetitive feeling but you can say that about most musous. As for the open world it has its pros and cons, there nothing quite like marching into a giant battle with all your men by your side and overwhelming the enemy thanks to the open worlds design. On the overhand, the world can feel quite empty in between battles but fortunately this can be overcome by the fast travel system.

All in all i'm enjoying it, if they can can fix the framerate issues and glitches this can be one of the best main series games.

CrazyHal

Nov 1, 2017
So um, when it comes to musou games i always rely on Jim Sterling's opinions since he's by far the bigest musou fan among game critics.

Well in todays jimquisition, there's a bit where he call the game a "complete piece of shit". He also said on twitter that the game broke his heart. If a massive Dynasty Warriors fan like him his saying things like this, then things are looking grim.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
So um, when it comes to musou games i always rely on Jim Sterling's opinions since he's by far the bigest musou fan among game critics.

Well in todays jimquisition, there's a bit where he call the game a "complete piece of shit". He also said on twitter that the game broke his heart. If a massive Dynasty Warriors fan like him his saying things like this, then things are looking grim.

Oh dear. Could this be another DW6 situation?

ScoutDave

Oct 25, 2017

To be fair, i like Jim. But thats just one mans opinion. Its a shame we have to wait for reviews and hear a wider range of opinions and thoughts. I can totally see this game splitting the fanbase however.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
How's the soundtrack? As much as 6 was a letdown I feel like it had one of the stronger soundtracks in the series

Fukuzatsu

Oct 25, 2017
I bought it here in Japan on the 8th, and while the performance is indeed quite janky I'm having a good time with it. Though admittedly I don't play many musou games so most of what might otherwise be repetitive feels fairly fresh.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
To be fair, i like Jim. But thats just one mans opinion. Its a shame we have to wait for reviews and hear a wider range of opinions and thoughts. I can totally see this game splitting the fanbase however.

Jim is vocal, but his tastes and demands can be so specific that I tend not to follow his word on these games, even if we do happen to agree on certain points. Judging it for myself is the only thing I can do.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Based on an early comment, he really disliked the idea of losing the old movesets and unique weapons for a new combat system with many cloned characters.

KaiPow

Oct 25, 2017
I can't 100% agree with Sterling's sentiments but there are some things we agree on.

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
I see Jim Sterling more as a consumer advocate than as anything else. He doesn't exactly have the last word on games.

The man already said he is mad about having lost some unique weapons, plus he also strongly dislikes most DLC and season passes on principle. The open world being janky would probably annoy him too.

It is a bit misleading to speak of full clones or to completely lose it over that though, let alone when you have about 90 characters in the main game.

Kaizer

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've gotta admit, in general, I've really fallen off caring, liking or enjoying Musou games as much as I used to a decade & change ago. You're talking about someone who put 300 hours into Samurai Warriors 2 back in the day. The last Musou title I enjoyed was One Piece Pirate Warriors 3 but that game also ruined all other Musou games for me as they now feel too "vanilla" and basic compared to the zaniness & attention to detail of Pirate Warriors 3. So I approach Dynasty Warriors 9 as someone who isn't the biggest fan of these games anymore but is still willing to give them a shot - for instance I am looking forward to Attack On Titan 2 next month & seeing what's up with that.

All of the open-world stuff they've shown for this game kinda looks really dreadful & the open-world itself looks very barren, overly large for no reason & in general is killing any enthusiasm I could have for this game. My favorite Dynasty Warriors game was DW5 & I wish they'd make another title like that. Will wait for more reviews but I'm definitely gonna be waiting for a price drop or rental when checking this one out. Kinda bummed that the next big game in the franchise turned out to be this, knowing we probably won't get another mainline Dynasty Warriors title for another few years with all the other spinoff titles they handle nowadays.

Namtox

Nov 3, 2017
Even characters who use the same weapons have unique Ex and flow attack animations, in addition to their musou attack also being unique. It's unfortunate but this games animations and moveset are on a much higher level then the older games.

ScoutDave

Oct 25, 2017
I could be mis-remembering? But if i recall someone posted in the other DW9 thread KT were aware of the clone and weapon issues and want to update those at some point? (Whether thats free or paid i dunno?)

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I could be mis-remembering? But if i recall someone posted in the other DW9 thread KT were aware of the clone and weapon issues and want to update those at some point? (Whether thats free or paid i dunno?)

Based on the last two mainline Dynasty Warriors games weapon DLC is pretty much guaranteed. They already said there would be new weapons with the season pass too.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I believe KT intends to add more weapons over time in some fashion. Not sure if it's through updates or paid DLC, though.

ScoutDave

Oct 25, 2017
With a cast of 80-90 characters, its remarkable i feel that there isn't more clones than there already is.

Squidi

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

As someone who owns every Musou game ever made, I always appreciated that Sterling gave the series attention when nobody else would - but I haven't agreed with him on a single review (I think we may agree on Ken's Rage 2). Even when we both like the same game, he likes the parts I didn't like and I like the parts he complains about. Since Hyrule Warriors, other journalists have been much fairer to the series, I think, and I no longer have to rely on his reviews.

Oh, and here's a fun game you can play with Musou game reviews! It's like Where's Waldo? but for hackneyed cliche writing. Look for the following sentence: (defeating) (lots of) (enemies) - but usually in some absurd combination like squashing hordes of mooks, mangling a gaggle of grunts, cutting up thousands of soldiers, bludgeoning a battalion of enemies, and so on. Nearly every Musou review uses it, and I think they are secretly trying to one up each other on how excessive and over the top they can make the cliche.

Twingsy

Oct 27, 2017
Moon
e227619491.jpg

```We're all really excited about the upcoming #DW9launch! Our producer, Akihiro Suzuki, dressed up as Zhao Yun and was joined by the president of SIE Shanghai, Takehito Soeda-san, as Zhuge Liang in a recent event in Taiwan. They look so cool!!```

Hahaha, so cool.

lyte edge

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't answer for him, but as somebody who has played every single Warriors game. As a Warriors fan, I'd say jump in. The combat is so good and the back and forth on the higher difficulty settings can make for pretty exciting fights. It has its faults, no doubt about it, some that have always been around and some that are new because of the open world. Despite all of the issues, at the end of the day I'm still having a ton of fun. I've already dumped 15 hours into Guan Yu, let alone the rest of the 89 playable characters.
I Pretty much agree with what Namtox says.

To add my own take, the new state combo system is fun but does have some issues which can lead to a repetitive feeling but you can say that about most musous. As for the open world it has its pros and cons, there nothing quite like marching into a giant battle with all your men by your side and overwhelming the enemy thanks to the open worlds design. On the overhand, the world can feel quite empty in between battles but fortunately this can be overcome by the fast travel system.

All in all i'm enjoying it, if they can can fix the framerate issues and glitches this can be one of the best main series games.

Thanks, guys!

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only numbered DW I have ever skipped was 6, so as long as it doesn't get that bad, I'm locked in.

I heard there was maybe a day one patch that addresses framerate issues? Any word on that?

Deleted member 34873

User-requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
I'm on the fence. I love DW7 for its story mode, and DW8 for the much improved gameplay, but this one has a weird sterility to it that bothers me. Plus it looks a little too janky from the videos I've seen.

Not to mention that dub,woof.

ScoutDave

Oct 25, 2017
The only numbered DW I have ever skipped was 6, so as long as it doesn't get that bad, I'm locked in.

I heard there was maybe a day one patch that addresses framerate issues? Any word on that?

The producer on Twitter said something like, "they are working on stabilizing the frame rate so people can play more comfortably." Not sure if its day 1. But they are working on it.

Loosely translated from Japanese.

Raddy

Oct 25, 2017
Very Nice OT

Massive Musou fan, but still don't know how I feel about this one even after watching various videos.

Key thing for me is waiting to hear how the pc port is, if its half decent I'll probably end up buying it.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Damn Tecmo Koei hours from launch and no idea how the pc version performs. I also don't see a steam page yet.

Oct 26, 2017
I'll be looking into the PC version of this game.

It should hopefully be live sometime tomorrow afternoon. ...I'll find out how that goes.

thonerayman

Oct 27, 2017
I've got my Xb1X version preordered and ready to go. I'm sure that it's going to get straight dogged in reviews as these games always do but for me right now, and everything going on in my life it's the perfect kind of game. I can play in little chunks, mindlessly destroy hundreds if not thousands of enemies and when things get busy put the controller down.

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
I'm very excited for the game, but part of me does have concerns as to the embargo (and things that have been slightly hinted at by those who are doing reviews for the game). Still, I'm probably going to check it out and probably enjoy the story of Dynasty Warriors all over again.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a huge ROT3K fan going back to the SNES so this will be a day one as usual.

I'm just glad that Yuan Shu and Hua Xiong are finally getting unique models. Just need Wen Chou and Yan Liang and that will take care of most of my bitching about the character selection compared to the Three Kingdoms games.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
Yeesh people weren't kidding on performance. The tutorial didn't even manage to keep its frame-rate, it feels like I'm getting some screen tearing in the open world too. The world graphics aren't particularly flattering either, the main character models look all right though.

Edit: I'm on the standard PS4 for reference.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
Funnily enough it seems to run decently well at nighttime in-game. Guess their lighting effects are very demanding.

It's a shame as I agree with other people saying that the combat is definitely improved.

Magyscar

Oct 25, 2017
Are you forced into switching characters a lot or can you pick one and play through the story as them?

I know each character has their own ending but I'm curious if there are other differences.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
With a cast of 80-90 characters, its remarkable i feel that there isn't more clones than there already is.

DW fans have been a little spoiled by DW8 line of games. The last game, DW8 Empires, had 83 characters and 92 unique movesets. But that game had DW7, DW7XL, DW7E, DW8 vanilla and DW8XL to build off of, with no drastic combat changes in between. And, to go a little further, the DW7 combat was largely based on the old combat design from DW2-5, whereas DW9 is trying a brand new combat arrangement.

Clones were to be expected, but I think for the first outing, they've handled it better than Dynasty Warriors 6 or 7.

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
Yeesh people weren't kidding on performance. The tutorial didn't even manage to keep its frame-rate, it feels like I'm getting some screen tearing in the open world too. The world graphics aren't particularly flattering either, the main character models look all right though.

Edit: I'm on the standard PS4 for reference.

Yep i was surprised at that. The first hour of the game was running in the low 20s for standard PS4 for me. But im really enjoying the game and the open world feels fresh for a DW game. Combat feels fun already.