• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 1273

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
2ZFCxLL.jpg

DYNASTY WARRIORS is BACK with tons of new features, new combat, open world and RPG elements, a fresh new take on this massive franchise.

Let's get back to China and fight thousands of soldiers!

ao5mVFQ.jpg

Release Date:
Feb 08, 2018

Platforms:
PC (Microsoft Windows) / PlayStation 4 / Xbox One

How many playable characters:
83!

List of playable characters:

Images are from DW8
tumblr_nk7uvbbZDO1r8r1oco1_1280.png

Xiahou Dun
Dian Wei
Zhang Liao
Cao Cao
Xu Zhu
Xiahou Yuan
Xu Huang
Zhang He
Cao Ren
Cao Pi
Zhenji
Pang De
Cai Wenji
Jia Xu
Wang Yi
Guo Jia
Yue Jin
Li Dian
Yu Jin
Xun Yu
Cao Xiu
Man Chong
Xun You

a9d91df1127dfb4a1a008f5962599a56.jpg

Zhou Yu
Lu Xun
Sun Shangxiang
Gan Ning
Sun Jian
Taishi Ci
Lu Meng
Huang Gai
Zhou Tai
Ling Tong
Sun Ce
Sun Quan
Xiaoqiao
Daqiao
Ding Feng
Lianshi
Lu Su
Han Dang
Zhu Ran
Cheng Pu
Xu Sheng
maxresdefault.jpg

Zhao Yun
Guan Yu
Zhang Fei
Zhuge Liang
Liu Bei
Ma Chao
Huang Zhong
Wei Yan
Guan Ping
Pang Tong
Yueying
Jiang Wei
Xingcai
Liu Shan
Ma Dai
Guan Suo
Bao Sanniang
Xu Shu
Zhang Bao
Guan Xing
Guan Yinping
Fa Zheng
Zhou Cang

gfs_285711_2_4.jpg

Sima Yi
Sima Shi
Sima Zhao
Deng Ai
Wang Yuanji
Zhong Hui
Zhuge Dan
Xiahou Ba
Guo Huai
Jia Chong
Zhang Chunhua
Wen Yang
Xin Xianying

Diaochan
Lu Bu
Dong Zhuo
Yuan Shao
Zhang Jiao
Meng Huo
Zhurong
Zuo Ci
Chen Gong
Lu Lingqi

General Idea of the game:
Dynasty Warriors is all about conquer bases while performing combos and fighting hundreds of soldiers, strategy, timing and thinking are mandatory in order to succeed. There are several other new systems in this sequel, like the open world, etc.

HEXlIAQ.png

For the first time in the series, the expansive land of China is shown on a single map with the introduction of an open world format for diverse progression through the game. The 'one vs. thousands' exhilarating action of the Warriors series and the beloved characters from the Romance of the Three Kingdoms tale are carried over, but the freedom through an open world stage provides a brand new Warriors experience.

Critical Missions unfold and progress the story of the player character, and are supplemented by numerous missions from various regions such as Regular Missions that affect the Critical Missions and requests from other characters. The situation will be ever changing depending on what missions are selected. In the many battles that occur on the map, players will find a variety of strategies and tactics open to them such as "attacking head on," "launching a surprise attack from an elevated position" or "infiltrating at night", for numerous ways to enjoy the expansive world of the Three Kingdoms.

The map is displayed with beautiful graphics and features many different regions of China such as snow plains, jungles and deserts which reflect the passage of time and changing climate. Key cities and checkpoints, such as Luoyang and Hulao Gate, and landmarks such as the Yellow River and Mt. Song, are replicated, allowing for deeper immersion into the game world.

From the Dynasty Warriors 9 official site

KvZ8fyr.png

Building upon the base Warriors action system, the new State Combo System allows for a variety of attack combinations: "Flow Attacks" are combo attacks that change depending on an enemy's state; "Reactive Attacks" create optimal attacks for the situation at hand; and "Trigger Attacks" which can trigger combos.
For example, the following sequence [Guard Break (Reactive Attack)]→[Combo Attack (Flow Attack)]→[Aerial Launch (Trigger Attack)]→[Final Blows (Flow Attack)]→[Slam into the Ground (Reactive Attack)] is a sample of switching between the three types of attacks.

Players can switch through the attack types to create their own endless and flexible sequences of attacks.

The addition of Interactive Action allows players to take advantage of the surrounding terrain and environment. In addition to climbing mountains and swimming across rivers, using grappling hooks to climb walls and launching fire arrows into oil barrels to induce explosions are among the new actions for broader strategic gameplay

From the Dynasty Warriors 9 official site

OjrRM9a.jpg

The story begins with the Yellow Turban Rebellion, and progresses as the final objective is conquered in each of the over 10 chapters that comprise the game's story.
Players have the freedom of choosing how they want to proceed through each chapter, whether it is by completing every single mission, roaming freely across the field, or rushing straight towards the final objective.

During the end of the Later Han, the land was in chaos due to the power struggles that had erupted within the Imperial Court. In addition, repeated natural disasters and poor harvests had aggravated the suffering of the people.
In this period of turmoil, a man by the name of Zhang Jiao appeared. He began to teach the Way of Peace in Ji province and brought help to the common people, winning their hearts almost immediately.
Then in the year 184, he rises up in revolt against the Imperial Court. His Yellow Turbans rose up in every district across the land. History would later refer to this as the Yellow Turban Rebellion. The Imperial Court unsuccessfully tries to suppress them, but is defeated. The fate of the 400 year old Han Dynasty is about to be decided.

FhTjTRy.jpg

TRAILERS

SCREENSHOTS

3mZrPZA.jpg

woah this an impressive OT, Lulu! - Thank you so much!

Is this franchise good? - Absolutely

Can I enjoy the story if I'm a newcomer? - Absolutely

Which platform you reccomend?
- PS4 is a bit buggy, you should play on PC if the port is good!

Best girl?
- Zhu rong, without a doubt

Why the title?
- All English titles are a number ahead of their Japanese counterparts due to the English localization, I found it funny in a RESIDENT EVIL: BIOHAZARD way

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2017
I'm utterly confused on how this game's story works

If it's half-assed and unmemorable, pass

But if it's good I'll be interested in getting it when the frame rate is better

OP
OP

Deleted member 1273

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Many!
I'm utterly confused on how this game's story works

If it's half-assed and unmemorable, pass

But if it's good I'll be interested in getting it when the frame rate is better
The story is good, the fact that the meat of the game is action doesn't mean the game doesn't have a proper story, in fact theres a spinoff series called Empires where it gains a bit more of importance

KaiPow

Oct 25, 2017
Expect to see Dong Bai as one of the first DLC characters. Maybe Ma Dai's paintbrushes will come back too.

Review embargo will be up tomorrow and I can talk about anything from the game (100%'d all routes, unlocked all characters, etc)

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
While I appreciate them trying something new with the series with the open world, it's also making me not confident that the game will actually be good.

OP
OP

Deleted member 1273

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
While I appreciate them trying something new with the series with the open world, it's also making me not confident that the game will actually be good.
Open world is a bit barren and just big, a bit what happened with DQH2 but there are good ideas in it, it's a very good game to start the series with imho

NZerker12

Oct 25, 2017
Having played the game since Saturday, there is a lot of potential here which if capitalised on can make 9XL or DW10 one of the best musou's of all time. However for this game there are quite a few problems plaguing it although it is still fun.

ScoutDave

Oct 25, 2017
I have a feeling the majority of the negatives that surround this game will be all on a technical level. Ive read a lot of frame drops and whatnot.

Regardless im looking forward to diving in tomorrow!

Mgs2master2

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm confused on the release date stated in the OT. The 8th?

2HSF0Sl.jpg

Thought it was the 13th

Vishmarx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My purchase of both this and kingdom come depends on the reviews and they both have shitty embargoes.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Yes, unlike others, I like rpgs in my game. I might get this one but i'll see if it has good reviews, they usually release like Ultimate version of every numbered entry right?
There's generally a XL version, which is an expansion pack, but you need to combine it with the original game for the original story modes and such. If the game is ported to another system after the XL is out though, then they bundle the XL and original versions together in a single release.

Namtox

Nov 3, 2017
As somebody who has been covering and replaying every game in the series for a couple months now, this game is probably the hardest game I've ever had to review. I'll post mine up tomorrow when the embargo drops.

Vishmarx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
As somebody who has been covering and replaying every game in the series for a couple months now, this game is probably the hardest game I've ever had to review. I'll post mine up tomorrow when the embargo drops.

Hard like... Really bad? Really difficult? Or just an extreme mishmash of good and bad.

NZerker12

Oct 25, 2017
I find the game itself is good but what really lets it down is the framerate. I know there is supposed to be patch tomorrow for it but, it unfortunately really detracts from the game as well as some glitches, if anything that is what reviewers will most probably criticise the most.

Namtox

Nov 3, 2017
Hard like... Really bad? Really difficult? Or just an extreme mishmash of good and bad.

Well for the record I'm playing on Chaos right from the start.

Sometimes I play this game and as a diehard fanboy of the franchise I have to be honest and admit so much of the game outside of direct combat is completely terrible and some of the most basic level open world tropes I've ever experienced.

On the other hand... fighting to take over Hu Lao Gate was an epic 2 hour back and forth fight that had my pulse racing because I was so close to dying and when I pulled it off it was the most satisfied a Dynasty Warriors game has ever made me feel, ever. The combat flow and animations are easily the best they have ever been in the series.

Oct 27, 2017
This game series is weird to me because I really enjoy Warriors games, just not Dynasty Warriors in the past at least. I had tons of fun with Dragon Quest, Hyrule, and One Piece Warriors games - I will eventually try DW9 out though.

unfashionable

Oct 29, 2017
Well for the record I'm playing on Chaos right from the start.

Sometimes I play this game and as a diehard fanboy of the franchise I have to be honest and admit so much of the game outside of direct combat is completely terrible and some of the most basic level open world tropes I've ever experienced.

On the other hand... fighting to take over Hu Lao Gate was an epic 2 hour back and forth fight that had my pulse racing because I was so close to dying and when I pulled it off it was the most satisfied a Dynasty Warriors game has ever made me feel, ever. The combat flow and animations are easily the best they have ever been in the series.

Oh wow. I had given up on the series ages ago finding it mindless. boring and easy. Interest greatly increased.

lyte edge

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I find the game itself is good but what really lets it down is the framerate. I know there is supposed to be patch tomorrow for it but, it unfortunately really detracts from the game as well as some glitches, if anything that is what reviewers will most probably criticise the most.

Are you playing this on a PS4 or PS4 Pro? I've seen videos of an almost-unplayable framerate on PS4 but it looks OK on Pro. Have also read that those who have been able to try the PC version are reporting that it's another bad Koei PC port. :| I've got the game pre-ordered for PS4 but may just leave it wrapped and return it if the supposed day one patch doesn't do enough for the game.

Also bad glitches like this are being reported:

TropicalFish

Oct 25, 2017
Playing Yue Ying, Pang Tong, Wei Yan, Huang Zhong, Daqiao, Zhou Yu, Lu Xun, Cai Wenji, Yu Jin, Cao Xiu, Zhu Rong and Zhang Jiao's stories as soon as I unlock em.

Namtox

Nov 3, 2017
Oh wow. I had given up on the series ages ago finding it mindless. boring and easy. Interest greatly increased.

Mind you I am playing on the hardest setting right from the start so that plays a role no doubt. Still, I have died more in this game than in all of the previous Warriors games combined. Using all the tricks and skills in combat is very important to surviving the higher settings.

NZerker12

Oct 25, 2017
Are you playing this on a PS4 or PS4 Pro? I've seen videos of an almost-unplayable framerate on PS4 but it looks OK on Pro. Have also read that those who have been able to try the PC version are reporting that it's another bad Koei PC port. :| I've got the game pre-ordered for PS4 but may just leave it wrapped and return it if the supposed day one patch doesn't do enough for the game.

I'm playing on Pro in action mode and in large scale battles with close to hundred or more enemies on screen the framerate tanks and drops right down to the low 20's. However in medium to smaller scale battles the framerate holds up mostly.

lyte edge

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm playing on Pro in action mode and in large scale battles with close to hundred or more enemies on screen the framerate tanks and drops right down to the low 20's. However in medium to smaller scale battles the framerate holds up mostly.

Do you still find it playable enough in those larger battles?

Vishmarx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Mind you I am playing on the hardest setting right from the start so that plays a role no doubt. Still, I have died more in this game than in all of the previous Warriors games combined. Using all the tricks and skills in combat is very important to surviving the higher settings.
Hmm.
I think ill support it. Theyve decided to deviate and improve from their regular formula, and while it seems theyve stumbled quite a bit I don't want them to go back to the simplified gameplay

Oct 31, 2017
Many!

The story is good, the fact that the meat of the game is action doesn't mean the game doesn't have a proper story, in fact theres a spinoff series called Empires where it gains a bit more of importance

Well I'm talking about this one in particular. I can't imagine a proper story mode with memorable moments and well-done cutscenes if there's a story mode for all 80+ characters

unfashionable

Oct 29, 2017
Is there a character creator in the game? Also can you change the story characters for things like eye color, hair color & styles, different outfits etc?

All the changes for the series in the OT sound like great advancements for the series.

Namtox

Nov 3, 2017
Also yes every character has a story mode but some characters story modes are true to life in the sense that they may only be a chapter or two long, depending on how much of a role they played during the actual time period. Lu Bu's story for example is nowhere near as long as Guan Yu's.

Wandu

Oct 27, 2017
Nice job on the OT, OP. I am looking forward to playing. It will give me a good little break from MHW, or at least a day or two break lol. I am definitely playing my fav guy, Zhou Yu. He has been my main since I first got into the series in DW2 on ps2 (also my first ps2 game).