• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty happy that they ditched the open world. In theory, yes, it would be wonderful, but Koei is the king of cheaping out plus their games have rather been quite unoptimized ever since the PS3/360 days.

Will definitely be interested to see how much stuff gets changed or reverted, hopefully everyone gets unique weapons and movesets again.
At the very least, all the unique dlc weapons will be on the characters in this game, as thats how DW8 empires did it.

And in terms of customization in nioh 2.... you could make yoshi-p of FFXIV in it.
579064-Nioh-2-character-contest-winners.jpg

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
DW9 combat is fun as hell and I didn't have a problem with the open world aspect, found it rather interesting even.
So this is interesting, hopefully there is an upgrade from DW9 but I doubt it.

Delio

Oct 25, 2017
Really excited for Empires. It's always been my favorite way to play DW just for making random OCs lol. Glad its early next year as well.

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
Was hype until they confirmed no open world. What a missed opportunity. Open world Empires makes way more sense than open world mainline games (esp. with character creation). Not to mention, they're already committed to not doing open world for the next mainline game anyway. We could've at least had the novelty of open world Empires. This is the quickest hype deflation ever for me.

SPLIT SCREEN IS BACK!!!!!

Split screen was patched into DW9 ages ago

Though 9E's co-op is probably gonna run helluva lot better bc no open world, so there's that

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I can't be too upset because I really disliked the open world in 9, but I'm surprised they took it out of the version of the game that would benefit from the open world the most.

CAW being back is amazing, the legend of Bu Lu will continue!

Edit: Oh, it's going to be on Switch? That explains it.

Last edited:

rubidium

Oct 25, 2017
www.4gamer.net

[TGS 2020]「真・三國無双」シリーズ20周年インタビュー。コンシューマとスマホ,2本の新作について鈴木プロデューサーに聞いた

コーエーテクモゲームスは2020年9月27日,「真・三國無双」シリーズの20周年記念タイトルとして,「真・三國無双8 Empires」とスマホ向け「真・三國無双」を発表した。「真・三國無双」シリーズ プロデューサーの鈴木亮浩氏に,これまでの20年間を振り返ってもらうとともに,新作2本についての話を聞いた。

Well it seems like KT guy really likes PS5's load improvement, and lots of issues of DW9 on PS4 stemming from load issues should be resolved.

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
DW9 was a big flop, Koei had to reverse course and ditching OW and including Switch were both very likely and expected moves. Expect all future Koei Tecmo games (unless they are moneyhats) to be on Switch.

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Last one I played came out really early on 360. It was a laugh. Was thinking the other day maybe it's time to try another one, and that there would be one on PS5.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
I agree with those saying that open world would fit better with Empires, but as someone that skipped 9 due to the shitty open world I might give this a shot since I've always enjoyed the Empires games.

Oct 27, 2017
Wait Nioh's customization is in the game? They also added the missing weapons? I love DW9 combat so more of that isn't a bad thing. Might have to get this after all. On sale though.
www.4gamer.net

[TGS 2020]「真・三國無双」シリーズ20周年インタビュー。コンシューマとスマホ,2本の新作について鈴木プロデューサーに聞いた

コーエーテクモゲームスは2020年9月27日,「真・三國無双」シリーズの20周年記念タイトルとして,「真・三國無双8 Empires」とスマホ向け「真・三國無双」を発表した。「真・三國無双」シリーズ プロデューサーの鈴木亮浩氏に,これまでの20年間を振り返ってもらうとともに,新作2本についての話を聞いた。

Well it seems like KT guy really likes PS5's load improvement, and lots of issues of DW9 on PS4 stemming from load issues should be resolved.
I would love if they made a PS5 patch.

Zexen

Oct 27, 2017
Why would they removed the only thing that would make the most sense in the Empire version of the game?

The open-world added little value in the base game, and now they remove it here. What the crap.

Well, at least we can hope for better performances now.

Oct 27, 2017
Why would they removed the only thing that would make the most sense in the Empire version of the game?

The open-world added little value in the base game, and now they remove it here. What the crap.

Well, at least we can hope for better performances now.
I am very sure it is due to the switch holding the game back (maybe also they didn't want to put in more work into the open world). They seem to want it on the Switch since Musou sell well there but I can't help but feel it would have been way better if they skipped switch for this game. They already have Zelda musou coming so it is not like there wouldn't be a Switch musou for the Switch players.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
I am very sure it is due to the switch holding the game back (maybe also they didn't want to put in more work into the open world). They seem to want it on the Switch since Musou sell well there but I can't help but feel it would have been way better if they skipped switch for this game. They already have Zelda musou coming so it is not like there wouldn't be a Switch musou for the Switch players.
I mean the game ran terribly on every platform and people hated the open world. It probably wasn't coming back either way.

Oct 27, 2017
I mean the game ran terribly on every platform and people hated the open world.
I wouldn't say that it was that bad.

Most people usually complain about the cloned movesets, the performance and the dub. And some people complain about the open world itself.

The cloned moveset were somewhat fixed in the dlc (sucks you had to pay for it though) and the performance was improved a lot with patches (it even resulted in split screen being back).

The thing is that why would they make an Empire game of DW9 if the game we are getting isn't even that similiar to the main game? Empire used to be a standalone expansion pack for the main game but now we are getting a whole new game with different structure but in the DW9 line of games.

Deleted member 31092

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I wouldn't say that it was that bad.

Most people usually complain about the cloned movesets, the performance and the dub. And some people complain about the open world itself.

The cloned moveset were somewhat fixed in the dlc (sucks you had to pay for it though) and the performance was improved a lot with patches (it even resulted in split screen being back).

The thing is that why would they make an Empire game of DW9 if the game we are getting isn't even that similiar to the main game? Empire used to be a standalone expansion pack for the main game but now we are getting a whole new game with different structure but in the DW9 line of games.

DW9 was a big commercial flop and the OW was the aspect most people complained about, so...

ImaPlayThis

Oct 26, 2017
So I would have preferred a DW10 or something HOWEVER while absolutely hating DW6, DW6 Empires is one of my favourite Empires game so I hope the tweaks and changes to gameplay make the game good.

So I'm somewhat hopeful

Deleted member 32106

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
They said open world aspects reception was really really bad.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017

Do you really need a console war scapegoat that badly...? The fact of the matter is that overall reception to the open world was incredibly bad, and it was likely reverted to more typical DW fare to try to salvage the disaster.

Oct 27, 2017
Do you really need a console war scapegoat that badly...? The fact of the matter is that overall reception to the open world was incredibly bad, and it was likely reverted to more typical DW fare to try to salvage the disaster.
How am I console warring?

The Switch probably can't run the game as it didn't work as well on PS4 and Xbox to begin with. The open world reception is one of the reasons but I doubt it is the biggest reason for it. The game had a lot more issues than the open world like the moveset cloning, lack of split screen co op, the dub being bad and over all polish not being as good as the past games.

Was DW9 flawed? For sure but it had potential and I am sad they abandoned the new direction to go back to the old formula that they have done countless times.

Deleted member 32106

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
How am I console warring?

The Switch probably can't run the game as it didn't work as well on PS4 and Xbox to begin with. The open world reception is one of the reasons but I doubt it is the biggest reason for it. The game had a lot more issues than the open world like the moveset cloning, lack of split screen co op, the dub being bad and over all polish not being as good as the past games.

Was DW9 flawed? For sure but it had potential and I am sad they abandoned the new direction to go back to the old formula that they have done countless times.
But they say otherwise, they say open world didn't work on DW, if it happened it will be on new title instead . How's that Switch related.

Oct 26, 2017
DW9 was the first DW in the series that I didn't even bother with, because of atrocious reviews and impressions. I just kept playing 8XL and 8 Empires. If they backtrack on the stupid open world aspects, add in more weapons and features, and just improve the original creation aspect of it, I'm in. I loved playing around in a world populated entirely by my own characters, even if they looked horrible, as 8 Empires was basically an upscaled port of an already ugly PS3 game. If that tweet is representative of what we can create this time around, sign me up. Oh, and playing it on PS5 should have the overhead to actually make it run smoothly. I expect the Switch version to be just as choppy as 8 Empires was on Vita.

Oct 27, 2017
But they say otherwise, they say open world didn't work on DW, if it happened it will be on new title instead . How's that Switch related.
I guess that's fair if they are saying it themselves. I was just thinking that even if they wanted to make it open world it probably wouldn't have worked and the switch is obviously a big seller so they prioritized it instead of giving us a game based on the actual DW9 game.

Which is fine but I am really sad they didn't try it again.

Zexen

Oct 27, 2017
General consensus: omg this feature sucked
Era: omg wtf this feature needs to come back

Sounds about right
The feature sucked in the concept it was set. You could explore anything at any time, but the structure of the game, being scripted events, made it useless, as there was basically no point in exploring and capturing forts, towns, outpost and such since all this would be wiped the moment you closed the act/chapter you were in.

Was the open world bad in itself ? Yes, even though some point of interest where great, it was no RDR2/Elder Scrolls/Witcher 3 world building, but it was made even worse by the fact that it was, gameplay wise, useless in every possible way.

Now, with the Empire version, you're pretty much free to do what you want, when you want, thus giving the feature utility. It would have been neat to roam to a specific place with your troops, fighting other armies on the way, and capturing regions and towns on a non staged/scripted way. Or to travel to a town to meet with other officers and buildup relationship and such.

Given DW9 doesn't have any stage setting, I hope it won't be just a bunch of siege battles.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
So the Switch is finally getting an Empires in English. It's so weird how they didn't localize any of the previous ones, in spite of porting them.

Now, with the Empire version, you're pretty much free to do what you want, when you want, thus giving the feature utility. It would have been neat to roam to a specific place with your troops, fighting other armies on the way, and capturing regions and towns on a non staged/scripted way. Or to travel to a town to meet with other officers and buildup relationship and such.

Given DW9 doesn't have any stage setting, I hope it won't be just a bunch of siege battles.

I wouldn't rule out walking around towns yet. DW7E had that (even though they were obviously very small).

OP
OP
Hero of Legend
Oct 26, 2017
Going by the screenshots, it still looks like DW9. So I'm curious at how they'll manage without the open world. Maybe just make it smaller scale, but still more open than usual?

0048fkuk.jpg
0055fjta.jpg
006adkrb.jpg
007kkkz8.jpg

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
This will most likely be one of the first games I buy when I finally purchase a PS5. I am excited about the improved CAW.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Going by the screenshots, it still looks like DW9. So I'm curious at how they'll manage without the open world. Maybe just make it smaller scale, but still more open than usual?

I'd guess they will reuse DW9's world, both for the administrative parts and battles, but with barriers preventing you from leaving the battlefield areas, and outside of battles you mostly will do things through menus rather than walking around (although I hope they at least implement something similar to the DW7E towns, reusing the areas from DW9).

TropicalFish

Oct 25, 2017
Throwing away the open world seems like a waste. I hope the devs use the assets for a future ROTK or Kessen or something.

Very interested in this though. Hopefully the strategems come back.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
If they can incorporate siege tactics into the game then it would be amazing. Like if you needed a certain siege weapon to overcome a troublesome region but in order to get that you needed to subjugate another minor region to get access to them.

I heard they didnt make good use of the siege mechanic in the main game so maybe they can use them better here.

TropicalFish

Oct 25, 2017
120377869_10158158101786785_862985792825377802_o.jpg

Praying we get our own troop squadrons to order around. Lord knows the a.i fucking sucked in the base game.

Prophane33

Oct 25, 2017
尾張国
From a 4 Gamer interview with Suzuki it appears field battles where you capture various points are a thing of the past. Fighting will mainly take place in areas around the castle. I'm assuming the battlefields will still be quite large (sectioned off areas of the DW 9 world, one can safely assume), but it appears that breaching the castle and using siege weapons will be the major objective, as opposed to running around capturing various bases on a smaller version of a DW map.

Asked if this is going to slow down the pace of the game. Suzuki says that while stalemates are possible, it's well-balanced and depends a lot on your allies and their actions; e.g., if your allies are attacking the castle you can focus on just taking out generals, whereas if they are battling around the perimeter you can focus on siege weapons/breaching the defenses. It's safe to assume (like past games) that there will be some way to control your allies in battle in order to create these strategic openings.

WildEagle18

Feb 22, 2018
Very disappointed this wasn't open world. DW9 open world was perfect for empires.

Im still excited for this, been too since our last empires game. Nioh 2 character creation is massive. I love creating CAWs of historical characters so they look generics when I fight them lmfao

OP
OP
Hero of Legend
Oct 26, 2017

PR, confirming all but Steam will be retail in the west it seems.

During Sunday's Tokyo Game Show livestream, KOEI TECMO and developer Omega Force revealed their exciting new project and the latest addition to the highly-revered DYNASTY WARRIORS franchise: DYNASTY WARRIORS 9 Empires. The strategic battle experience is currently in development and will release across a plethora of systems in Early 2021, including the PlayStation®5 and PlayStation®4, Xbox Series X|S and Xbox One consoles, Nintendo Switch™, and digitally on Windows PC via Steam®.

"This is the 20th anniversary of DYNASTY WARRIORS," says producer Akihiro Suzuki, "and we couldn't be more excited than to celebrate with our faithful fans by delivering the first new WARRIORS series game on next-gen consoles, and the first new DYNASTY WARRIORS series game on Switch."

Combining the 1 vs. 1,000 action of DYNASTY WARRIORS with the addition of strategic elements, including unit command, DYNASTY WARRIORS 9 Empires sets players on a quest to conquer ancient China by both sword and strategy. Powerful Siege Battles enable commanders to deploy units to capture strategic points on the map like castles. Experiencing high-stakes fights at every turn, players can now take control of these central points on the battlefield through the use of fire attacks or other stratagem, siege weapons, and, at times, simply by force as commanders execute their strategies and attack enemy troops by issuing vital commands to units throughout the skirmish.

Also added is an enriched edit function that enables gamers the ability to create the officers of their dreams and interact with the heroes of ancient China through an expanded domestic system. Players will be able to live the life of an independent officer, govern as a kind ruler, or act wickedly as a villain, helping create a more lifelike and fulfilling Three Kingdoms world with ever-changing human relations and dramatic events where the relationships between characters will have a greater influence on gameplay than ever before.

Adds Suzuki: "This is the first new Empires game in five years, and I can't wait to deliver the ultimate Empires experience our fans have been waiting for."