• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
logo.png

www.koeitecmoamerica.com

DYNASTY WARRIORS 9 Empires

Exhilarating 1 vs 1000 action meets strategy simulation in the latest title of the Empires series.

Update 2: Coming west in Early 2021 as well. Plus to Xbox One as well.

Update: No open world in this one. That explains how it's on Switch.

dw9eu1kom.png

*Dynasty Warriors 9 is numbered 8 in Japan.

Just rewind a bit to see the CG trailer.

Just announced! Nice to see DW9 in some form on Switch! :O

Last edited:

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
I wanted them to skip to 10. Imagine my face when they revealed a mobile game and then 9 empires in this stream.

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
I mean their own footage of original DW19 ran at 15 fps earlier, so clearly, they are proud of such a cinematic game lol

Dunban_Fyuria

Oct 27, 2017
I'm up for another take on the 9 formula, especially empires. They'll probably announce 10 down the line and it'll play like normal, not like there's not a bunch of other similar musou games like that anyways.

Edit: No open world? That seems...weird. Will still try it since I liked the combat system but wonder how it's gonna stand out from the other titles now.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is a chance they made dw9 more fun to play with empires. Hell if you try DW6 and then DW6 empires the battle mechanic was changed in some way that it felt different from each other.
EDIT:

OP
OP
Hero of Legend
Oct 26, 2017
So weird that the main hook of DW9 is absent. I wonder if it's still the same engine or if it's back to the traditional engine. I'm guessing the same engine. Too much work otherwise I'd bet.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I have to say I'm disappointed no attempt to fix the open world for an Empires game. Though this is likely for the best because it might be too hard to fix open world and layer Empires in it.

SkyOdin

Apr 21, 2018
What is different about empires than the normal dynasty warrior 9?
The Empires series are turn based strategy games similar to Koei's Romance of the Three Kingdoms games, except you fight out military battles as regular Dynasty Warriors stages. So you assign governors to provinces, recruit generals, set taxes, etc, then use these resources for the action game half of the gameplay.

Aug 13, 2019
Freaked the fuck out when I saw the trailer. I assumed they'd skip Empires entirely and just jump to 9(10). I am kind of disappointed they couldn't find a way to make the open-world work, but I hope its something they can work on in the future if they don't ditch the open-world format to go back to the usual Warriors formula, which there's a 99.99% chance that's what they're doing for 9(10).

This is now, unironically, my most anticipated game of 2021. Yes, I do enjoy setting myself up for major disappointment.

UshiromiyaEva

Aug 22, 2018
Is there a new officer with this one or anything?

Really hoping declones come with this too, give Ma Dai the paintbrush back

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Liked Ni-oh 2's customization, this will take my time making CaWs.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a new officer with this one or anything?

Really hoping declones come with this too, give Ma Dai the paintbrush back
I assume there might be a new officer has it's been a staple for the last couple entries, just not revealed yet. Me, i'm just happy I get to conquer China with Xin Xianying!

Aug 13, 2019

West confirmed, as well as XBO.

That's one of the two things I want confirmed, so happy to hear it. Really hope to get some decloning and more legacy weapons.
Liked Ni-oh 2's customization, this will take my time making CaWs.

I haven't played Nioh 2. What's the customization like?
Any mention of the combat?
I wouldn't get my hopes up for any major changes, but I do hope they change something. I've tried really hard, on multiple occasions, to get into DW9's combat.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Nice love the empires series the most. Don't know why people are suprised that the open world is cut. It will at most have some open hubs but that's it.

Aranea

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty happy that they ditched the open world. In theory, yes, it would be wonderful, but Koei is the king of cheaping out plus their games have rather been quite unoptimized ever since the PS3/360 days.

Will definitely be interested to see how much stuff gets changed or reverted, hopefully everyone gets unique weapons and movesets again.

Edit - Where the hell is SW5 though, I was more excited on that one since it's just been getting good with every iteration