• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017
So, Dying Light is free to play this weekend and, being on my wishlist, I did have a try.

It seems to be a very nice game except that I couldn't play beyond the first mission because, for the first time in 35 years playing video games, I got a headache and dizzy.
I played a lot of FPS and games with lots of particles, effects and things on screen without problems, but couldn't just walk in Dying Light.
I've tried to adjust fov, blur, etc. Nothing worked and found out that I'm not the only one that this specific game made sick, the culprit being the headbob of the main character that can't be disabled in settings (changing things in the "config" file also didn't work) . Worst thing is the developers seemed to know, before launch, this would cause problems to some people.

So any other solution or should I Let it go?

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Shame, it's a fantastic game.. I thought this thread was about the terrifying night sections.
Surprised you can't disable the head bob.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Same boat op, game played fantastic, but the headshakes were unavoidable to me. Really disappointing. Wonder if they will fix on the sequel.

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
Shame. I was thinking about trying this out but I have pretty bad motion sickness so I've been hesitant. Seems like I'll definitely pass, then.

Droidian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 28, 2017
I couldnt do it because of the stress and anxiety I would get just playing it. Pretty cool game though.

OP
OP
Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for all the replies folks.

Same boat op, game played fantastic, but the headshakes were unavoidable to me. Really disappointing. Wonder if they will fix on the sequel.
Since the developers knew about this before launch, still let it in game without an option to toggle it off, I'm not hopefull.

I noticed something. The headbob isn't intense, at least in the part I played, running straight. The problem seems to be when you turn left or right; the camera tilts to the side you are turning, then rights itself (even standing still), what makes absolutely no sense. Heads are not freaking 100m runners or helicopters that need to incline towards the motion.

Well, back to Warframe and Don't Starve then. :D

JohnnyMoses

Oct 27, 2017
So weird. I get nauseous in a lot of first person view games and was certain I would have it with Dying Light, but I didn't. Platinum'd the game and all. Never an issue. Maybe it would've been an issue for me on a PC at 60 fps.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
So, Dying Light is free to play this weekend and, being on my wishlist, I did have a try.

It seems to be a very nice game except that I couldn't play beyond the first mission because, for the first time in 35 years playing video games, I got a headache and dizzy.
I played a lot of FPS and games with lots of particles, effects and things on screen without problems, but couldn't just walk in Dying Light.
I've tried to adjust fov, blur, etc. Nothing worked and found out that I'm not the only one that this specific game made sick, the culprit being the headbob of the main character that can't be disabled in settings (changing things in the "config" file also didn't work) . Worst thing is the developers seemed to know, before launch, this would cause problems to some people.

Play it on a TV with a controller.

SavoyPrime

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina USA
I played the game co-op with friends. But I was only able to handle a few hours at a time. The headaches and nausea were just too much to deal with to go long sessions.

wollywinka

Feb 15, 2018
This might sound really strange. I had never experienced motion sickness from a game until I played Dead Space 2 on my Xbox 360. I've been gaming since the 1970s, so like the OP, it was new to me. At first, I thought I had food poisoning: terrible nausea, sweating, and a splitting headache. I stopped playing, but a couple of days later, when I tried playing again, the symptoms quickly returned with a vengeance.

After doing a little research, I discovered that I was suffering from simulation sickness. One suggested remedy was eating root ginger. Crystallised ginger sweets were recommended, but I had no immediate access to any. I improvised by getting a piece of fresh root ginger, peeling it, slicing it, and gently boiling it in a small saucepan with water for about 20 mins. I then drank the liquid with some added sugar before attempting to play again the next day.

In addition to being a delicious drink, it completely stopped the sickness and I was able to play Dead Space without problem. I just kept some ginger tea on hand. Ginger beer would probably work too. Subsequently, I used ginger to ward off sickness from Borderlands 2, and again it worked like a charm. As I said, it seems like an odd solution, and I have no idea why it works, but it did for me. Might be worth a try.

zswordsman

Nov 5, 2017
I couldnt do it because of the stress and anxiety I would get just playing it. Pretty cool game though.
Definitely, those first few hours when all you have is some random shit weapon to defend yourself is super stressful. You just wanna stay 20ft above any zombie and dread having to touch the floor. But you get more and more OP and it becomes mute. So give it a shot if you haven't completely. It was a good experience overall.

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017

I have found some success by playing as far away from my computer screen as possible, but that requires a specific setup.

Also works: powering through it and getting your brain to rewire itself for the game.