• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Patch 1.2.0 dropped on Xbox and the PlayStation 5 equivilent update is hopefully not too far away (they're numbered different so it won't be 1.2.0)

With it comes a brand new graphics mode called Balanced which brings the graphics settings to FOUR different modes! Blimey.

Balanced runs at 60fps, like the existing Performance mode, but no official word on what else it does over the Performance mode. People saying that it looks higher resolution and with better shadow quality maybe? There was a lot of overhead on the 1080p/60fps mode (revealed when they unlocked the framerate for VRR screen users) so makes sense that they might've been able to bump up some of the other settings. I guess Balanced might be the new recommended 60fps mode while Performance Mode should be reserved for VRR screen users who can enjoy 60fps+ now (at 1080p).

The new update also brings the 60fps Performance mode to Xbox Series S for the first time. The game was previously capped at 30fps Resolution Mode with no other options. This is great! Again, no official word on how much that drops the resolution or whatever. Maybe/hopefully dynamic?

Tons of other things changed/patched so read the patch notes for the full info.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I wish they could stop putting all these modes in console games and just have one 60fps mode and optimise for it.

That's all I need.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Dope glad they gave an option to series s owners though I think the general audience for the console likely didn't care much

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
I wish they could stop putting all these modes in console games and just have one 60fps mode and optimise for it.

That's all I need.

There's nothing wrong with giving people options as long as each option is given equal attention in terms of optimization.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017

That's all I need.

I like the option for resolution mode with all the bells and whistles, I just wish games would also have an option for framerate unlock in the menu for future-proofing that mode

Manta_Breh

May 16, 2018
serious question - Why is it not feasible for console's to add a graphical options settings like pc? so that people can cater the experience to how they like? would adding stuff like that break the console or make it a lot more unintuitive for console users?

Hoggle

Mar 25, 2021
serious question - Why is it not feasible for console's to add a graphical options settings like pc? so that people can cater the experience to how they like? would adding stuff like that break the console or make it a lot more unintuitive for console users?

I imagine because the reason for all those settings in the first place is because there's no way developers can account for the near infinite number of different PC configurations out there, whereas on consoles they have a few set platforms that they themselves can tweak and balance to give the most desirable settings.

However, what I'd like devs to take into account nowadays is backwards compatibility and the fact that new hardware might come out down the line that allows for even higher quality settings. Obviously they can't add a graphics mode that runs like shit and is designed for future generation hardware as everyone would pick that now and complain, but I'd like to start seeing the option to uncap frameates in any mode so in the further 30FPS "quality modes" could hit higher frame rates with the cap removed.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018

Xbox Series S in Performance Mode renders at a native resolution of 1600x900. The game appears to be using nearest neighbour scaling to upscale the image and this results in uneven pixel scaling. Performance Mode on Xbox Series S has graphical reductions compared to Quality Mode in some areas such as: ambient occlusion, texture filtering, reflection quality, fog quality and shadow quality

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Feeling vindicated in waiting for most game releases before I buy them.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020

1296p or so for Balanced on Series X and pretty locked during gameplay. Seems to have introduced some weird vertex stretching graphical glitches (across modes) though this patch he shows.

900p for Series S with some cut back settings, but mostly 60 FPS in regular gameplay minus some weird drops during searching enemies. Seems to use KNN rather than other techniques like AMD FSR resulting in some shimmery blockiness

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017

1296p or so for Balanced on Series X and pretty locked during gameplay. Seems to have introduced some weird vertex stretching graphical glitches (across modes) though this patch he shows.

900p for Series S with some cut back settings, but mostly 60 FPS in regular gameplay minus some weird drops during searching enemies. Seems to use KNN rather than other techniques like AMD FSR resulting in some shimmery blockiness

I got all kinds of tearing in balanced mode around Central Loop on series x, as well as framerate slowdowns there when things got busy on the screen. Maybe it's that weird glitch he talks about though...

Piggsy

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Really happy about the 60 FPS mode on Series S. I wonder if CD Project is going to cave in as well.

Does anyone knows if they actually improved the performance of the game overall or did they just lowered some settings here an there?

May 22, 2020
Can anyone confirm if Dying Light 2 on PS5 console actually uses 4k temporal upscaling to make it close to native 4k on performance mode at 60fps? personally I don't see much difference between resolution mode and performance mode when it comes to image clarity or sharpness just like native 4k