• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
For the life of me (I guess unless you're a super fan) I can't figure out people buying games like this day one. They are going to be so much better a few patches in. I'll wait a year or so for the rest of the work to be done and the game to be half of what it launches at.

But I pretty much feel that way about all titles.
Yeah, I've barely scratched the surface of the first Dying Light game, and that is now an exponentially better game than it was when first released.

Majin Boo

Oct 26, 2017
I was really hoping for 80+ this time around. I will wait for more impressions before deciding to cancel my order, on one hand I really enjoyed their other games and did not mind the jank that much, but there are just way too many better alternatives right now.

Frag Waffles

Apr 7, 2018
Sounds like the story is just kind of there. First one was the same, not very memorable.

It also sounds bloated which is not too surprising for your typical open world game.

But the gameplay looks good and improved from the first, and the atmosphere looks really nice too. Those made the first one fun regardless of other issues, so yeah I will get around to playing it eventually.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Dying Light 1 : 74 score. "Amazing game" , "It sold 20 million copies, so obviously people love it!!"
Dying Light 2 : 77 score. "Mixed reviews", "Disappointing", "I donno what to do"

Lol

Rogote

Oct 25, 2017
Good point about first game releasing during a drought. DL2 is not just releasing on a busy time, it's releasing on THE busy time of like 2-3 years. So while the first game was huge it was helped by the release window not offering much competition. Now this comes at average reviews and we have few megatons hitting around it. Great reviews would have propably helped a lot here. It might have a good momentum from the first game and it's continued support, you never know. But it's also 7 years since the last one which might make it slip a bit out of mindshare but I did hear ZhugEX say on twitter that the pre-orders are very strong for it.

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
So many games are unfortunately now like this. Or they get a "Director's Cut" version after a year.

I mean it's the vast majority of AAA games really. I honestly have no idea why people buy these games day one. They are far better products after a few months. And you're also gonna save a decent amount of money based on how long you wait. It's a win win.

shadow_shogun

Fallen Guardian
Oct 25, 2017
Fukk it…caved and bought it despite the reviews.
[IMG]

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
Friends are desperate to play something new together, so we got it. Otherwise i would have waited for a bit.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
Considering the tumultuous development of this game, they seem to have stuck the landing decently. Happy for Techland.

edit: people really saying these reviews are bad? Since when is high 70s bad?

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Yeah, sounds like a skip. I really liked the parkour and gamefeel of the first game but couldn't care much about the main characters or story. Why was Chris Avellone even brought on? Was he just going to do flavour text and brought in late? After the allegations, it seems it was quite easy to delete his contributions to the game. It seems the new things here for a sequel haven't been executed well, such as now having a forgettable story with forgettable characters, progression system being more about reducing tedium, immunity mechanic being a chore, and the choices not amounting to much satisfaction or variety. There doesn't seem to have been much significant improvements. If I wanted more of the first game, I would play it again.

aronmayo

Jul 29, 2020
Dying Light was great and this has higher reviews all around. Not quite as positive as I hoped but it's not a disaster.

May 7, 2020
Crashed a couple of times trying to boot it up, but playing in performance mode and everything seems alright so far.

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
I was planning on skipping all the story stuff anyways so no real issue for me to hear that it's bad.

Gameplay wise it still looks good so gonna grab it and can always sell it on anyways if I'm not feeling it.

Riddler

Oct 25, 2017
This will definitely hold me over until Starfield. The size of the world & 4 player co-op + Content downloads will last a long time.

Reviews look really good.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, there was fuck all to play on PS4. I had a blast playing CO op dying light for months
Dying Light released in 2015, which was one of the best years with Bloodborne, Witcher 3, Arkham Knight, MGSV, Fallout 4, Black Ops 3. Ys it released in Jan 2015 but the game had legs and sold for a while despite all those games.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Still blows my mind that the first Dying Light had middling reviews. That game was an absolute blast and everyone I know that has played it had a great time with it. I don't know what launch issues people are talking about either. They supported the game with a fuckton of addtional content but the game wasn't a mess at launch. Not even close.

This looks to be more of the same, which is fine if that's all you wanted out of a sequel. Pretty crazy that all of the "story and consequences" stuff they've been hyping up since the beginning turned out to be a whole lot of nothing. I don't know why they even wanted to move in that direction after the first game... co-op is absolutely the highlight of these games and a narrative-focused game with lots of choices was never the right direction to facilitate cooperative play. If anything, they should have gone hard in the opposite direction with less of a focus on story and more of a focus on character customization and exploration. No one likes playing as the same generic dude in different hats that coalesce during cutscenes and "choices" don't work in co-op unless you're making a Hazelight Studios-esque game.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Dying Light released in 2015, which was one of the best years with Bloodborne, Witcher 3, Arkham Knight, MGSV, Fallout 4, Black Ops 3. Ys it released in Jan 2015 but the game had legs and sold for a while despite all those games.
I remember quite well. Lots of dying light and farcry 4 for me during those winter months. The first year of PS4 until that summer was slim pickings

grosvenor92

Dec 2, 2017
Kinda disappointed that the story is kinda meh. I know the first games story was basically that too but was hoping for some slight improvement. Still solid enough reviews for me to pick it up down the line

Kupo Kupopo

Jul 6, 2019
loved dying light, but that was, in large part, because of it having ranged weapons. if they've really cut back, & have gone mostly melee, as they supposedly have, i'm not so sure i'm all that interested (because, yes, i hate first-person melee)...

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
loved dying light, but that was, in large part, because of it having ranged weapons. if they've really cut back, & have gone mostly melee, as they supposedly have, i'm not so sure i'm all that interested (because, yes, i hate first-person melee)...
How? You don't even get ranged weapons commonly until much later and even when you do they were far and few in between with low ammo.
The first game game was mostly melee as well. Infact first person melee combat has been Techland's thing since Dead Island.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
This looks like something I'll wait for a sale on. Definitely want to play it but it can wait.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
Still blows my mind that the first Dying Light had middling reviews. That game was an absolute blast and everyone I know that has played it had a great time with it. I don't know what launch issues people are talking about either. They supported the game with a fuckton of addtional content but the game wasn't a mess at launch. Not even close.

This looks to be more of the same, which is fine if that's all you wanted out of a sequel. Pretty crazy that all of the "story and consequences" stuff they've been hyping up since the beginning turned out to be a whole lot of nothing. I don't know why they even wanted to move in that direction after the first game... co-op is absolutely the highlight of these games and a narrative-focused game with lots of choices was never the right direction to facilitate cooperative play. If anything, they should have gone hard in the opposite direction with less of a focus on story and more of a focus on character customization and exploration. No one likes playing as the same generic dude in different hats that coalesce during cutscenes and "choices" don't work in co-op unless you're making a Hazelight Studios-esque game.

The initial hype seemed Witcher/Mass Effect esque. The Final Product seems more like Animal Crossing.... with Zombies. A pitch that sounds pretty great when you think about it

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Reviews are all over the place for this one. Gameinformer, for instance, makes it seem like one of the best open-world games in recent years and they even praise the story and main character.
It's important to notice that the first Dying Light has a 8.0 user score on metacritic, that's a really good score. This seems to improve the first game so I'll probably bite. I'll probably play a bit until Horizon FW and then continue afterwards, when the game is, hopefully, improved with patches.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
I thought this would be a sure fire hit, but apparently that was a bit optimistic. Still, I'm a bit of a Techland fan so I'll jump in down the line when it's cleaned up and cheaper (and I have a new PC!)

Sep 8, 2020
What's really interesting to me is that basically all of these reviews (at least the ones I clicked through on) are saying the same things but are assigning different scores. It makes this game an interesting template that reveals how different outlets/reviewers way different aspects of games.

Either way I'm excited. If the gameplay is good (which it sounds like it is) that's good enough for me

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
For the life of me (I guess unless you're a super fan) I can't figure out people buying games like this day one. They are going to be so much better a few patches in. I'll wait a year or so for the rest of the work to be done and the game to be half of what it launches at.

But I pretty much feel that way about all titles.
Of all the AAA games I have purchased in the last couple years, only one has actually released very buggy (2042) while a couple have had minor connection issues. For the most part they are solid with day one patches and continue to get better. The notion that most if not all AAA games are seriously compromised with polish issues is untrue.

AstralSphere

Feb 10, 2021
I've been watching a bunch of extended footage and the main character is definitely ehhhhh to me.

I don't think it's enough to make me avoid the game entirely, but I was hoping we were beyond the 'white bald male with US Not Nolan North voice and bland personality' phase. Combined with the vanilla writing it gives the whole thing a distinct 2015 feel.

The gameplay looks great though, but it's definitely looking like it won't be long before I'm skipping through dialogue and interacting with the story in the most minimal way possible. Nowadays I have to at least like the character I play as to feel engaged in what's happening to them storywise and I feel like I just won't here.

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
Pre-ordered and ready to slice up zombies with friends. Loved the first and it's still one of my favorite PS4 games.

Kupo Kupopo

Jul 6, 2019
How? You don't even get ranged weapons commonly until much later and even when you do they were far and few in between with low ammo.
The first game game was mostly melee as well. Infact first person melee combat has been Techland's thing since Dead Island.

i had more than enough guns/ammo for much of my playthrough. yeah, you didn't get them for a while, but, by the time you did, the enemies had become tougher, & i relied on them to get through to the end (& the following dlc). maybe my copy was unique? but that's what i remember. i mean, i used melee weapons when i had no other option, but, once i got guns, i used'm...

like i said, i really enjoyed the game. i'm just never really comfortable with first-person melee, is all...

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
Of all the AAA games I have purchased in the last couple years, only one has actually released very buggy (2042) while a couple have had minor connection issues. For the most part they are solid with day one patches and continue to get better. The notion that most if not all AAA games are seriously compromised with polish issues is untrue.

I won't dispute that but by continue to get better that just means waiting is even better. Usually within 6 months a game has had multiple patches and many of them have added content some of it free. When I combine the knowledge of a better game and a cheaper game it's a no brainer for me.

I think personally this sounds like a game that if I wait 6 months it would be a much better experience than buying it today.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
Metacritic needs to evolve. All emphasis on a singular average score sucks. Its not like the game hasn't gotten 8s or 9s. There is much fun to be had here.