• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 5129

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I can see that - especially because of how vertical the game is like he said. There's a ton of stuff going on. Saying devs "suck" at their job is so disrespectful.

With how demanding the game is on PC, I can totally see why it does not run at above 30fps on Series S. It's just how it is. This will happen more and more often in the future with the Series S.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
PhillyBoi92 seems like a very rational individual that comes to logical conclusions about something as difficult as game development.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
It's insane how misinformed people are that just because one game can run at a target res and framerate it must mean all games can too.

The One X has a "better" GPU and runs at the same res and framerate with lower settings than the Series S. I'd say the Series S is performing where it should be for this title specifically.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
Yeah, I can see that - especially because of how vertical the game is like he said. There's a ton of stuff going on. Saying devs "suck" at their job is so disrespectful.

With how demanding the game is on PC, I can totally see why it does not run at above 30fps on Series S. It's just how it is. This will happen more and more often in the future with the Series S.
I think it will happen in the future with PS5/XSX too. It's just a matter of time before pure current gen only games arrive. Right now 60fps seems like a new standard because most of the games are cross gen.

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
Bless that dude's patience for answering in an informative way after some nerd tried to tell him how to make games, lol.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
It's 100% accurate that the game needs more optimization, but due to Omicron and WFH disruptions I don't blame the dev for not having time to implement features such as DRS and VRS.

Also they're not using the SSDs to their full potential.

Izanagi89

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
Amazes me how people can tell the actual developers to their face like this that they suck or they don't know what they're doing, like these devs aren't human and don't have feelings. Fuck these people honestly.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Dude's a lead designer and basically moonlighting as Techland Customer Service and PR rn, bless him. Can't imagine having to deal with angry Gamers on twitter because co-op is under heavy load and not working fully.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
Call of Duty runs at 120fps, get better at your job Techland🥴

/s

Takes a lot of patience to respond to such tweets.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
Internet comments are so much fun when you are a game developer. Props to him for being nice and humble. I would have never bothered replying.

Mung

Nov 2, 2017
Lol I feel sorry for game devs these days having to take tech lessons from random rude people on the Internet who have likely fuck all technical experience and are called things like phillyboi92.

Well done on him for being polite, more than I would have been.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Patience of a saint.

So the gist there isn't enough GPU memory to contain what's on screen and the memory/RAM, SSD isn't fast enough to bridge/refill the gap by doing quick enough on the fly as the verticality raises the bar too high to refill in time if you're changing scene a lot?

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how much actual headroom the Series S has. On an RTX 3050 I get mid 30's to high 50's FPS with the graphics preset at "high". Without DLSS of course.

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
You very clearly glossed over the "different games have different needs" part of the tweet. It's these types of blanket statements that at the core of phillyboi92's tweet.

Fair Trial

Jan 1, 2018
That post is surely nasty...but 1080p 60 on Series X seems a bit rough...

I've seen the digital foundry analysis and this game doesn't look like a graphic powerhouse at all.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
So, is this the GPU's bandwidth he is referring to here?

Because CPU + SSD speeds are off the charts compared to last gen.

dynamitejim

Oct 25, 2017
Aren't Series S versions typically based on the One S version? Why not just let people drop down to those settings and resolution to play at 60?

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Patience of a saint.

So the gist there isn't enough GPU memory to contain what's on screen and the memory/RAM, SSD isn't fast enough to bridge/refill the gap by doing quick enough on the fly as the verticality raises the bar too high to refill in time if you're changing scene a lot?
idk if that's accurate, but I haven't seen many PC tests to give an informed opinion. I think a 12 GB 3060 with 16 GB system RAM and an NVME SSD on PC isn't going to magically perform great.

I've seen a reddit post just now that a user with a 3060 12 GB and 3700x is getting like 25 fps without DLSS at 1440p. It's just a demanding title graphically it seems. edit: apparently this was max with RT on though so that's not accurate to console specs either. It's over 60 at 1080p, but still

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
The "Sewers" typo brings me so much joy for some odd reason

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Aren't Series S versions typically based on the One S version?
No not really. In BC, Series S usually gets the One S versions because 4k is more difficult for it than the One X. New releases are usually beyond One X settings, but at a lower res, with maybe a higher framerate.

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how much actual headroom the Series S has. On an RTX 3050 I get mid 30's to high 50's FPS with the graphics preset at "high". Without DLSS of course.
Aren't Series S versions typically based on the One S version? Why not just let people drop down to those settings and resolution to play at 60?
No, the Series S versions are not typically based on the One S version. One only need to look at Forza Horizon 5 or Halo Infinite as examples where the Series S is definitely punching well above the One S' weight.

I am very much looking forward to how the Series S fairs over time, as tools and experience improves. I'd like to think it's the little engine that could, but time will surely tell and it'll certainly not be consistent as, again, different games/engines have different needs.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Series S versions are typically based on the Xbox Series X version, just with a lower resolution and sometimes adjusted effects. This will be the same here, with the performance mode not available at launch though. I guess they'll get there eventually still.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Amazes me how people can tell the actual developers to their face like this that they suck or they don't know what they're doing, like these devs aren't human and don't have feelings. Fuck these people honestly.
You can do alot of stuff if you don't see other people as actual human beings with feelings

DanielG123

Jul 14, 2020
Understandable. I don't think they just chose 1080p 30/1080p 60 for laughs; Dying Light 2 is demanding as all hell, to the point where a 3090 can't run it natively at 4K/60 with all of the RT turned on.

However, I ALSO wouldn't use Tymon's statement as a blanket for the entirety of the current gen console performance. While DL2 may have been bottlenecked by the Series S's GPU, other games, even some next gen only titles, may not. Same goes for Series X and PS5; I'm sure when we start seeing more next gen games, you will see some developers having to scale some stuff back and make sacrifices due to how demanding their game is. On the flip side, other developers may not have that many, or any bottlenecks with none of the current gen consoles.

Like Tymon said, different games have different needs. DL2 has some of the most extensive and advanced ray tracing ever in a video game, and it's also just super heavy and demanding in and of itself. Techland hit a wall with the Series S, and the premium consoles aren't that great at ray tracing, so 1080p is where they ultimately settled for the only mode of SS, and the RT mode for SX/PS5.

AwesomeSauce

Oct 25, 2017
FoV slider is a must and should be in the first patch. I don't know how they'll fix motion sickness without it.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know, I think some gamers might be assholes.

BTW, a Series S is roughly in line with an RX 580 in terms of processing power, right? I guess using it as a barometer for future performance would make sense. This game seems to be well optimized for all platforms from what the DF videos showed.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
The unspoken rule of the Internet is you shouldn't respond to people who mix up there, their, and they're

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Series S isn't cut out for situations like this. It should age better for games and engines that take advantage of everything that these new consoles can offer

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
I'd be a lot happier if I heard the motion blur going away was the first optimization they were working on. I don't get any motion sickness from the game, but that blurring is a TAD much.

Zeta Ori

Oct 25, 2017
NY
I ended up getting it despite my issues with the framerate on the S, and after getting to Central it's pretty clear that yeah, there's a lot going on and choosing stability over a higher framerate was the right answer.

I do hope they can eventually get it up there though, 30 fps in combat scenarios doesn't feel the greatest (especially when deflecting).

trashbandit

Dec 19, 2019
I know this is irrational, but everyone who plays games should have to make a small game themselves. Literally no one would ever say shit about optimization or engine troubles unless there was a genuine issue.

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
Game is gorgeous at most points with all settings maxed out on PC, console performance on the Series S seems reasonable to me.