• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
Ah ok I see where your comprehension fails at... you do you. I have nothing more to contribute.

I mean it has nothing to do with taking things literally or jumping to conclusions? "You shouldn't take things literally" is a response to, like, a joke, whereas in this situation it was a flatout fabrication.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
Glad he didn't actually say it, it was a stupid statement.

I still don't really like him though

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
Well, he's a Republican so he's clearly lying in that Instagram response

/s

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
No im not. Thats you not understanding anything about what im saying. I never stated his apology was good enough. I said it was subjective on how you accept it. Thus why, you can hate him. But please. Continue to put words in my mouth to make something more of what Im saying. It aligns with this thread ironically.
"You can hate him if you want, but" is a dismissal of valid criticism, full stop. If that's not what you mean then you're doing a poor job of explaining it.

But sure, yeah, throw my push back into the pile of "outrage", I guess.

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
No im not. Thats you not understanding anything about what im saying. I never stated his apology was good enough. I said it was subjective on how you accept it. Thus why, you can hate him. But please. Continue to put words in my mouth to make something more of what Im saying. It aligns with this thread ironically.

Except MY initial statement was in response to someone saying that he apologized via Instagram, something that is factually not true. You came in and, deciding to ignore all context as to what a genuine/nongenuine apology means, interject with "but he technically did apologize at some point", which serves literally NO purpose but to run defense for Hart and dismiss those arguing his apologies aren't genuine. That's the actual effect your pedantic posts are achieving.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
People didnt jump to conclusions? Lol ok.

Sort of seems like using "People jumped to conclusions" to describe "People believed a news article" is a real bad way of looking at things my friend. But I'll keep an eye out next time y'all agree with some article that gets posted here on Era and make sure to point out you're just jumping to conclusions

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I looked at the original article and thought it was shady as hell, looks like a high schooler wrote it. But had no reason to check and see if they would literally fabricate the entire thing.. usually people aren't that bold.
That's fair. I just assumed it had been vetted before I saw the thread when it was around 12 pages long. After all, bullshit doesn't usually stick around for that many posts without someone really checking the source. UK Daily Star's website is lol.

Also, National Inquirer fabricates whole stories and interviews too and folks eat it up. People are weird. IDK.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
That's fair. I just assumed it had been vetted before in saw it around 12 pages long. After all, bullshit doesn't usually stick around for that many posts without someone really checking the source. UK Daily Star's website is lol.

Also, National Inquirer fabricates whole stories and interviews too and folks eat it up. People are weird. IDK.
I mean I would have recognized the freaking National Inquirer lol. But yeah not familiar with that shady source.

F2BBm3ga

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Except MY initial statement was in response to someone saying that he apologized via Instagram, something that is factually not true. You came in and, deciding to ignore all context as to what a genuine/nongenuine apology means, interject with "but he technically did apologize", which serves literally NO purpose but to run defense for Hart.

You saying he "never" apologized means you know, never. Not a certain circumstance. Just straight up never. No matter how poorly executed, badly explained, genuine or not (and only time will tell about genuine) he apologized. Its just a fact. we can talk about how garbage it was all we want, but facts are facts. He never went on record to rescind the apologies either. Now him being egotistical douche about it? Yea it makes his apologies seem frivalous, but he didnt rescind them. And they happened.

Oct 27, 2017
So where is this interview where he says this? The Independent doesn't cite a source and the video above the story seems totally unrelated. It's bullshit, and it's now on them to provide a source or video otherwise they should take this down and issue an apology.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
So where is this interview where he says this? The Independent doesn't cite a source and the video above the story seems totally unrelated. It's bullshit, and it's now on them to provide a source or video otherwise they should take this down and issue an apology.

Oh, the Independent does cite a source. The Daily fucking Star. Shitheap of a rag.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017

It said it was in The Daily Star, which tells you all you need to know given its reputation for making shit up.

The Daily Star has been on a bit on an "anti-snowflake" crusade recently, and their target demographic are exactly the sorts of people who'll believe anything of that nature.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I mean I would have recognized the freaking National Inquirer lol. But yeah not familiar with that shady source.
Yea that's what I mean. We'd instantly disregard Inquirer, but new (to us)sources quoted by okay-ish sources (Independent) created just enough confusion for this to slip by. It's just disappointing that none of us really looked at that source site (including The Independent). 2 minutes on that site and it's clearly a trash outlet. Why didn't UKEra correct this instantly? lol

Deleted member 32563

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
User Warned: Antagonizing other members. "Hive-mind" rhetoric.
Lmao I can imagine so many of y'all itching to post too. Funny thing is something he didnt say triggered y'all in the same sense as the article implied. Hand clap Era!

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
You saying he "never" apologized means you know, never. Not a certain circumstance. Just straight up never. No matter how poorly executed, badly explained, genuine or not (and only time will tell about genuine) he apologized. Its just a fact. we can talk about how garbage it was all we want, but facts are facts. He never went on record to rescind the apologies either. Now him being egotistical douche about it? Yea it makes his apologies seem frivalous, but he didnt rescind them. And they happened.
He rescinded them with his followup statements, whether he wanted to or not. Without question.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
I looked at the original article and thought it was shady as hell, looks like a high schooler wrote it. But had no reason to check and see if they would literally fabricate the entire thing.. usually people aren't that bold.
It's also clearly written with agenda, like it's clear where the writer stands on this issue. "He laid the smackdown on PC softies", "He spoke out after a flood of snowflake stories hit the headlines." Sounds like one of those Youtubers.

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, the Independent does cite a source. The Daily fucking Star. Shitheap of a rag.
It said it was in The Daily Star, which tells you all you need to know given its reputation for making shit up.

The Daily Star has been on a bit on an "anti-snowflake" crusade recently, and their target demographic are exactly the sorts of people who'll believe anything of that nature.

Ugh. Fucking tabloid shitrag. I hope he sues them for libel and defamation, but he's probably too nice a guy to do that.

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
You saying he "never" apologized means you know, never. Not a certain circumstance. Just straight up never. No matter how poorly executed, badly explained, genuine or not (and only time will tell about genuine) he apologized. Its just a fact we can talk about how garbage it was all we want, but facts are facts. He never went on record to rescind the apologies either. Now him being egotistical douche about it? Yea it makes his apologies seem frivalous, but he didnt rescind them. And they happened.

Ask yourself, what exactly does being pedantic about this actually do for the topic at hand.

Like actually, 100%, what do you accomplish at the end of the day by being extremely pedantic (and again, ignoring all context) about this topic.

I'll tell you what you accomplish, you essentially add to the growing "but he apologized" camp who want to sweep this under the rug, and who, ACTUALLY IRONICALLY, have become snowflakes about being confronted by people who are, RIGHTFULLY, upset about how Hart has treated all this, because his frivolous attitude, as a public figure, shapes how many people will treat this kind of thing in the future, something that only serves to harm the very people complaining in the first place.

Ok you're just a troll then, fair enough. Guess it's time to ignore.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
It's also clearly written with agenda, like it's clear where the writer stands on this issue. "He laid the smackdown on PC softies", "He spoke out after a flood of snowflake stories hit the headlines." Sounds like one of those Youtubers.
Lol yup. This shit was probably ghostwritten by Jacob Wohl.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Outrage culture. Jumping to condemn people before hearing their side of the story.
No jumping to conclusions happens every day of the week and is old as time. You do so every day; it's how your brain is designed to work. This was disappointment with someone people are already disappointed with, based on what they believed was a true story, quoted in a semi-respected source.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Ugh. Fucking tabloid shitrag. I hope he sues them for libel and defamation, but he's probably too nice a guy to do that.

Unfortunately our libel laws are not conducive to actual justice, even you're rich enough to drag it through the courts. They won't bother though, they'll print a stamp sized correction on page 58 next week which no one will read, but that's apparently enough to cover their backs.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am not going to believe the interview did not happen unless he sues them because to completely make up a story like that does not come without ramifications

brentech

Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: "Hive-mind" rhetoric.
Whoever said or wrote it, it doesn't seem all that wrong. People are being so progressive that any other opinion earns immediate exile.

Ex. Resetera

lowmelody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Glad to hear the interview was entirely fabricated and he didn't really spew that shit.

How competely pathetic does one have to be to fake an interview with some celeb in order to give their own shit tier views credibility?

Melkezadek

Oct 27, 2017
People were going off the information that was available. Nothing gross about that.

I just can't accept this dismissal. While the fake story warranted criticism, the chorus of "fuck offs" is just too extreme of a reaction and it's exhausting. No one will come out and admit they jumped the gun. Why not show maturity and some humility?

Everyone wants to hold everyone else accountable but never themselves.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, the Independent is usually a paper I have a fair amount of trust in. I'd have thought they'd at least vet the Star which is a known tabloid shitheap.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Rock says the interview isn't real.

It's almost as if people immediately jumped to being outraged or something

I'm shocked though, I really expected more from a news outlet that runs front pages like these

B0_H5PaIAAAyx7b.png

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Whoever said or wrote it, it doesn't seem all that wrong. People are being so progressive that any other opinion earns immediate exile.

Ex. Resetera
Do you feel Era posters should apologize for offering a low threshold of tolerance for bigotry, hate, chauvinism, and dehumanization of women and minority groups?

Not every "opinion" is actually worth the pixels it ends up printed on.

It's almost as if people immediately jumped to being outraged or something

I'm shocked though, I really expected more from a news outlet that runs front pages like these

B0_H5PaIAAAyx7b.png
Yes, that's what happens when people rush to post threads without checking the sources. The Independent failed, but we were the final arbiter here. Anyone could have read further, but everyone assumed it was true because the first source is relatively decent. We failed.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Perhaps you will be the person to finally provide an actual example, and not just be person #100 making a generalized statement and never following up on it.

So, point to an example.
To be fair, some people did provide examples, but they pretty much all consisted of defending transphobia, sexual harassment and sexism.. one of which got banned.

Now you know why the retreat back to their hole after throwing out a shitpost.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
I just can't accept this dismissal. While the fake story warranted criticism, the chorus of "fuck offs" is just too extreme of a reaction and it's exhausting. No one will come out and admit they jumped the gun. Why not show maturity and some humility?

Everyone wants to hold everyone else accountable but never themselves.

Indeed. In these days of extra scrutiny when it comes to news sources, it's a sad thing to see the growing trend of jumping on any story in order to satisfy users own confirmation bias.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
Glad to see this wasn't real. Still funny to see people come out of the woodwork to agree with these false statements, and to prove a lot of our points that y'all assume everything is some form of outrage (of course without being able to provide concrete examples or to even define where the line is for what they consider outrage).

Status
Not open for further replies.