• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Your tone is gross.

I honestly think both are problematic and there's no reason to replace one problematic system with another.

Like many posters have already pointed out, "11, 12, 13" makes more sense than precious metals.
Explain to us all why a metal hierarchy is problematic.

Nov 27, 2019
Your tone is gross.

I honestly think both are problematic and there's no reason to replace one problematic system with another.

Like many posters have already pointed out, "11, 12, 13" makes more sense than precious metals.
Please explain what exactly is so problematic about the Gold/Silver/Bronze hierarchy and how it could even possibly compete with the subjugation of women for all of human history.

Oct 26, 2017
Chess used to originally not have a Queen piece even it was something like an advisor originalt. It exists because of Queen Isabella and she's also the one who got it to be the most powerful piece.
Interesting. I was playing chess with my son just yesterday. I stupidly lost my queen early and knew I was pretty screwed. The Queen is what gets it done.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Those cards are ugly though her argument is sound. I don't see the traditional deck replaced anytime soon but I hope she makes bank in the meantime.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I CAN'T BELIEVE THEY ARE VIOLATING THE SANCTITY OF PLAYING CARDS WHAT'S NEXT MAKING THEM ROUND AND ADDING CATS AND DOGS TO THEM?!

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I respect the idea but i'm not a fan of the execution.

Also, what about one-eyed jacks and suicide kings and other house rules? I guess you could just call the suit but that's boring

Enkidu

Oct 27, 2017
Things like these are always the sorta thing you look back on in hindsight and go, "Wait... that's kind of messed up, right?" I grew up with lots of card games and board games and I remember little me straight-up thinking real kings were a step above queens and not equivalent because my first real impression of them was through card games and chess where the king is the most important. Even when I started learning otherwise, about queens of old nations, I wondered who the kings of the time were and why I was hearing so much about their queens

I appreciate little gestures like this of dismantling old school patriarchic concepts
Young you were not entirely wrong though, as historically the title of king kind of tended to out rank queen. For example, while a woman married to a king is a queen, generally a man married to a queen regnant would not be a king, but would rather be a prince, in order to clearly establish that his position is lesser.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
Those are just poorly designed cards. Go for it, but do better next time. It looks like it was ripped out of Borderlands or something.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
I CAN'T BELIEVE THEY ARE VIOLATING THE SANCTITY OF PLAYING CARDS WHAT'S NEXT MAKING THEM ROUND AND ADDING CATS AND DOGS TO THEM?!
Round cards are actually very fun to use
rpc00049.jpg

i only play chess where the pawns team up and eat the pieces.
Gungi?

NuncaBob

Dec 2, 2020
Eorzea
I'm always blown away by the number of Dutch people who can speak English with little to no discernible accent. I worked with someone from the Netherlands for months before I realized that he wasn't a native English speaker. As this person who made the cards and my time in the Netherlands prove, this is more common that I would have ever guessed.

Bobbetybob

Nov 11, 2017
Things like these are always the sorta thing you look back on in hindsight and go, "Wait... that's kind of messed up, right?" I grew up with lots of card games and board games and I remember little me straight-up thinking real kings were a step above queens and not equivalent because my first real impression of them was through card games and chess where the king is the most important. Even when I started learning otherwise, about queens of old nations, I wondered who the kings of the time were and why I was hearing so much about their queens

I appreciate little gestures like this of dismantling old school patriarchic concepts
Not really the case in Chess though and actually if you reversed the roles it would play more into typical gender stereotypes i.e. the king goes out and does all the work and the queen needs protecting.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm always blown away by the number of Dutch people who can speak English with little to no discernible accent. I worked with someone from the Netherlands for months before I realized that he wasn't a native English speaker. As this person who made the cards and my time in the Netherlands prove, this is more common that I would have ever guessed.
Have you ever met a Scandinavian? It's insane. Some of my Swedish/Norwegian friends speak with almost no discernible accent. It's wild.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
To be honest the original designs have some personality behind them, aesthetically interesting and kinda fresh actually that something retains this old artstyle in this day and age where even the Pringles man is flat and clean.

The gold/silver/bronze design while coming from a good place is pretty hack. Ubisoft kicking themselves for not coming up with it first. Some folk have came up with much better ideas in this thread.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Young you were not entirely wrong though, as historically the title of king kind of tended to out rank queen. For example, while a woman married to a king is a queen, generally a man married to a queen regnant would not be a king, but would rather be a prince, in order to clearly establish that his position is lesser.
And the fun part is that it's not even close to universal.
for example in good ole misogynistic France, the crown can never be passed by a woman so the Queen would never be allowed to remarry to begin with (because catholics you know) and she would lose her position as soon as she would leave court.
It's literally the cheat code that the French aristocracy found to not have the King of England be King of France.
The position of King is through the male line.
Cards aren't supposed to fun! Do you think this is a game!?
You can still avoid having fun with these cards!

siteseer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
emperor/empress, king/queen, lord/lady

king/queen, prince/princess, duke/duchess

there, now pay me.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Metal hierarchies are just as problematic as gender subjugation holy shit I'm glad I came into this thread

Croc Man

Oct 27, 2017
I respect the idea but i'm not a fan of the execution.

Also, what about one-eyed jacks and suicide kings and other house rules? I guess you could just call the suit but that's boring
Yeah plenty of terms are built around the cards, like Royal Flush. Teaching people rules is hard enough without taking away easily graspable stuff like that.

Deleted member 28564

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
You can also add a "c" next to the K and Q for King Consort and Queen Consort. K/KC and Q/QC being the opposite ends.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to bow out / ignore users / edit out my post, since I feel that my post is a distraction from the actual discussion (which I do feel is 100% legitimate).

Sorry that I am a poor communicator.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Like the idea but the art needs some more passes at it. Kind of ugly as is. Even though this probably wont catch on things like this are what will help to eventually chip away at old patriarchal concepts being so cemented as being the "normal" or "default"

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Being mad at metal is really stupid in this instance because exploitation of labor is literally the last thing you think about when looking at metal.
And I'm pretty sure the exploitation of labor is not more intensive for gold than it is for silver or bronze.

Like no one looks at bronze age material of literally anything and think of exploitation of labor or a hieararchy of exploitation of labor