• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 30, 2017
Jesus. Only 44 years old.

Fuck cancer!

Saved By the Bell was a part of my childhood, and he had a lot of issues after the show ended, and it bummed me out he was the only cast member who didn't have a cameo in the new series that came out.

I was hoping after he found out he had cancer that the cast could at least all set things aside, make up, and let him be at peace. :(

Oct 31, 2017
Wow, he went quickly. Cancer is such a bastard.

I'm actually not surprised. 11 years ago, a former co-worker of mine was having back issues for a while. She chalked it up to wear and tear, work, whatever, but later found out it was a Stage 4 tumor that was pushing on her spine. She was dead within a month.

It's just sadder to me that the poor guy never seemed to turn his life around after all that stuff (stabbing?) of which he was a part.

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
I was hoping after he found out he had cancer that the cast could at least all set things aside, make up, and let him be at peace. :(

Thought I read that Mario Lopez and him had a lengthy chat and you can say they made up and he wished him a speedy recovery. The rest of the cast I don't recall anything more thana get well soon.

wingkongex

Aug 25, 2019
So I just heard this on the news, but also wonder how he got lung cancer. I don't recall Screech being a chain smoker on set or afterwards. Just wondering how he got it. I heard he smoked up alot of weed, but that's it. Its more of a medical question of mine than anything. Also cancer does suck.

What I read is that it started elsewhere in his body and ultimately made its way to his lungs after he neglected it.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Damn

So I just heard this on the news, but also wonder how he got lung cancer. I don't recall Screech being a chain smoker on set or afterwards. Just wondering how he got it. I heard he smoked up alot of weed, but that's it. Its more of a medical question of mine than anything. Also cancer does suck.
You don't need to be a smoker to get lung cancer.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
MV5BMjczMmMwYjQtOTE1Ni00YTQ1LTk0OTQtOTk2ODIxMWM1MjBkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQ2ODE0NDA@._V1_.jpg

Enjoyed him a lot in Your Pretty Face is Going to Hell.

RIP

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I just looked it up and it seemed like he speculated he got it from breathing in mold and asbestos in a career's worth of cheap hotel rooms.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I know a woman who never smoked a cigar that got throat cancer. She fit none of the stereotypes for that kind of cancer. These things happen, though they're uncommon.

Deleted member 31923

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Saved by the Bell was one of my favorite shows growing up. I loved Screech. It's sad that he had a rough adjustment from being a child actor, which is all too common, only to be followed by dying pretty young.

StarStorm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I knew he was an asshole, but I wouldn't wish cancer on my worst enemies.

Damn, dead at 44. He never smoked and was only a few years older than I am.
Fuck cancer.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
He wasn't the greatest of people and got himself in a lot of trouble, but still he didn't deserve this fate. No one does; especially at a young age. RIP man. Glad he went quick.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck RIP.

I never kept up with Saved by the Bell bts like with other shows. Can someone explain to me why there was bad blood between him and other cast members?

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
44? Man alive that's no age at all.

The older I get the scarier stories like these become. I don't want to make it all about me given how tragic the whole thing is but i can't help but ask questions like how did it leave it so long before we got tested etc? Can you have lung cancer for that long and have no idea? I'm sure that we aren't getting the whole story but it's a worry all the same.

To be diagnosed and then die less than a month later is absolutely horrendous. I'm sure being under lockdown by the pandemic is messing with me but this news has weirdly hit me hard.

RIP.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I heard the type of cancer he had was small cell carcinoma. That is an incredibly aggressive and resilient type, and its best case chance for survival is like 20%.

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
RIP to a real one. Guy lived life hard which I'm sure contributed somewhat to this (reads like he knew about a lump but didn't do anything??)

Mr Jones

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am going to get a physical in March. Boseman was a kick in the pants, this is just the slap in the back of the head. Screech didn't make it to 45.

Get tested fellas. People are dropping way too young from cancer.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
How did the revival show write him out? Wonder if they will end up doing a tribute episode to him.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It started somewhere else, then spread to his lungs.

SeanM

Oct 26, 2017
USA
I wish we could know what really happened during the show. I feel like Dustin was bullied but without evidence I don't want to make that assumption.

The cast talks about it a bit here in some convention they did: https://youtu.be/6gK4ETxHRVk?t=1863

Dustin was several years younger than the rest of the cast, so they didn't really hang out with him or anything. Mario Lopez is apparently the only one that made an effort to be super nice and make him feel included. So it wasn't really bullying in the traditional sense, just him being kinda ignored and excluded from the group.