• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Wesker fucking sucks. I'll never understand the appeal of him. I don't care how ham he is in RE5. Guy has always been a wack ass villain.

I liked him as a villain in the first Resident Evil game. The instant he became a dorky, thirteen year old's (from the 90s) idea of cool, he became one of the dumbest villains in video games.

Watch it be some sort of like...asymmetric multiplayer survival battle royale thing. Where there is some sort of overarching narrative going on while you try to survive to the end.

Apparently this new game isn't chasing trends, so that would rule the battle royale genre out.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
i'm going to throw in all my chips and say this is for real going to be set in the Middle Age, you are a knight/pries/chemist (multiple characters?) sent to investigate a region (open-world?) were strange things like witches and werewolves are happening (ancient variation of the virus?). General gameplay to be a melee-based version of RE2make.
That would be so absurd lol

Didn't Capcom have some weird templar game in development during the gen? Maybe some ideas got re-tooled in RE.

That would get fucking dope.

Now I'm gonna be disappointed when it's not this.

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I liked him as a villain in the first Resident Evil game. The instant he became a dorky, thirteen year old's (from the 90s) idea of cool, he became one of the dumbest villains in video games.

Apparently this new game isn't chasing trends, so that would rule the battle royale genre out.
Yes, I agree. He's fine in the first game but after that he's the worst.

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
i'm going to throw in all my chips and say this is for real going to be set in the Middle Age, you are a knight/pries/chemist (multiple characters?) sent to investigate a region (open-world?) were strange things like witches and werewolves are happening (ancient variation of the virus?). General gameplay to be a melee-based version of RE2make.
That would be so absurd lol

Didn't Capcom have some weird templar game in development during the gen? Maybe some ideas got re-tooled in RE.
Turn the concept into a new franchise if it's going to be so different that it's unrecognizable as a RE game.
They might as well ask sony to do bloodborne 2 with that premise.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Turn the concept into a new franchise if it's going to be so different that it's unrecognizable as a RE game.

I can see where you are coming from, here. It would seem a tiny bit odd to depart to that great a degree, yet still have it be a Resident Evil game.

However, the same could have been said about Resident Evil 5, right? I mean, it was a horror themed, action heavy, co-op shooter. That doesn't scream classic Resident Evil, does it? Hell, if they use the premise you quoted, and keep the horror focus, it will still be a better fit for the series than either Resident Evil 5 or Resident Evil 6.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I feel like we're quick to forget RE7 had mold golems controlled by a psychic old woman projecting herself as a ghost girl.

A werewolf virus in a medieval setting would be weird but not like, unprecedentedly weird for the series. Also like, everyone already compares the opening parts of Bloodborne to the village in RE4 and almost everyone agrees that's where the latter is the scariest.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Resident Evil
BIG SUBTITLE

Make it a new spin-off series, without loosing the brand power for launching a semi-new IP. If games like CoD and Assassin's Creed can hop timelines and gameplay mechanics so frequently, I don't see why RE can't pull it off.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
A medieval zombie/werewolf/vampire game with RE style 3rd person gameplay would be dope as fuck. Though I imagine they would make it first person which I'd still play but be less infused about

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Not sure how that would upset fans, sounds awesome!

How about Resident Evil x Eternal Darkness?
That would get fucking dope.

Now I'm gonna be disappointed when it's not this.

Because I am bored working from home I started fantasizing some more on this concept:

-multiple characters: a priest could have no weapons, only a torch, and lead the more investigative and stealth sections; a chemist could preapre herbs, fire bottles or lay down explosive traps? Or have a slow charging cross-bow which, coupled with slow crawling zombies, could skyrocket the tension of charging darts; a knight could be safer, with an armor, a shield to push back enemies, and maybe a spear (if you remember Deep Down, one of the demos had the player go into TPS mode with a lance and target specific spots) to pierce zombie heads;

-this could easily be modern RE-era shenanigans: imagine some alchemist discovering the virus, bringing it up to some kingdom, and the King decides to test it in a small region to either "poison" rival countries or have an army of super-knights; things go south as always; hell, maybe even have some crazy Church conspiracy;

-exploration: this could work linear as well, but it would be cool to have an open-world like region to explore, with settlements, dark forests, caves, castles and dungeons, or a medieval iteration of RE secret labsin search of clues;

-enemies: slightly infected and delirious villagers, actual zombies, zombie animals, werewolves that act like lickers, "witches" that are more sentient and control other low level zombies, zombie knights that are more dangerous and act like tyrants (hell imagine a squadron of roaming zombie knights!), and so on

I don't even play RE or horror games but this could be fun!

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because I am bored working from home I started fantasizing some more on this concept:

-multiple characters: a priest could have no weapons, only a torch, and lead the more investigative and stealth sections; a chemist could preapre herbs, fire bottles or lay down explosive traps? Or have a slow charging cross-bow which, coupled with slow crawling zombies, could skyrocket the tension of charging darts; a knight could be safer, with an armor, a shield to push back enemies, and maybe a spear (if you remember Deep Down, one of the demos had the player go into TPS mode with a lance and target specific spots) to pierce zombie heads;

-this could easily be modern RE-era shenanigans: imagine some alchemist discovering the virus, bringing it up to some kingdom, and the King decides to test it in a small region to either "poison" rival countries or have an army of super-knights; things go south as always; hell, maybe even have some crazy Church conspiracy;

-exploration: this could work linear as well, but it would be cool to have an open-world like region to explore, with settlements, dark forests, caves, castles and dungeons, or a medieval iteration of RE secret labsin search of clues;

-enemies: slightly infected and delirious villagers, actual zombies, zombie animals, werewolves that act like lickers, "witches" that are more sentient and control other low level zombies, zombie knights that are more dangerous and act like tyrants (hell imagine a squadron of roaming zombie knights!), and so on

Honestly, this would be a really solid pitch for a new and unexpected RE game. Thanks for this.

Nardy_19

Alt-account
Banned
Sep 14, 2019
I'm still standing by that for now that I'm not wrong about that either and it'll pop up eventually, but I'm not as certain about that as I am about this as I don't know anyone at Konami to get 100% confirmation. But all I can say is I've seen enough to believe it strongly myself right now, but if I learn things to prove or disprove it later, I'll be open about it.
I don't understand this theme of having secret information but withholding it yet trickling information. Either you leak it or you don't, it just seems like a major grab for attention.
Then there's the whole, "okay, this is the last tidbit for" x amount of time, only for him to pop back up weeks later doing the same thing despite saying otherwise....

Searsy82

May 13, 2019
I'm open to just about anything. Lets get wild. Fuck it, Medieval sci fi Resident Evil here we come!

Oct 27, 2017
I think it would be great if RE became an anthology type series that focuses on different types of horror. From Dracula to the Thing. All you need in an RE game is a fleshed out location and a monster living inside.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
I think it would be great if RE became an anthology type series that focuses on different types of horror. From Dracula to the Thing. All you need in an RE game is a fleshed out location and a monster living inside.
I was hoping for an Ethan trilogy in first person based off classic horror movies, random but horrifying BOW outbreaks.

RE7 TCM/Evil Dead - > RE8 Werewolves/Witches/Vampires-> RE9??

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD

Again, I love this idea.

Hell, depending on the timeframe, you could even have this incident serve in the context of something like the historical Black Death. Only difference is that the Church covered it up by saying it was only a "plague that killed people", and a disastrous pathogen/virus that mutated people and things, and even granted paranormal abilities to some.

Tttssd1972

May 24, 2019
I'll be honest, my take is real simplistic, idk if I would want to play any RE game that didn't have guns and allow me to shoot something's face off with a shotgun lol.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand this theme of having secret information but withholding it yet trickling information. Either you leak it or you don't, it just seems like a major grab for attention.
Then there's the whole, "okay, this is the last tidbit for" x amount of time, only for him to pop back up weeks later doing the same thing despite saying otherwise....

I'm going to give you the whole breakdown.

On the surface level I get why people think this, but it's all a bit more complicated than that in reality and kinda' shows why many people wouldn't be in this position to begin with. If I shared everything publicly the moment I knew it, there'd be huge clusterfucks and problems going for a long time. It'd hurt game developers more, it'd hurt gamers more, and it'd hurt the information sources more, and often it'd be a thing that no one in the end would even appreciate. Timing is important for several reasons, like okay. RE 2021 is going to be revealed very soon, it's too late to make big changes about it, a number of people know about it, it'll be very easy to prove or disprove very soon.

Like let's say that I know of a different RE game that probably wouldn't release until 2024. If I went any more into detail right now outside of its existence, it'd hurt everyone. People don't want details on a game they won't know about for years, the information I have may very well not be true of the final product, games change TREMENDOUSLY during development and with the Resident Evil series, whole versions of games get scrapped during development so even if I did talk about it now it may all end up not even remotely true to the final product. The developers when the leak reaches them will then do a thorough search to see who leaked it, the sources may be in trouble as this early in development games only a certain number of people know about it and they will investigate and try to find who leaked it. For the game's marketing something leaking way ahead of time hurts, the general public think they want to know but more often than not they actually don't want to know about things years away. This is literally a situation that hurts everyone involved, myself, the developers, the gamers, the source, it's a bad leak because it does nothing but hurt everyone involved.

And if I just went spewing everything the moment I knew it, I'd lose every contact I have pretty quickly. I'd be a risk, a liability. I am an open book more than most, but I do respect the wishes of those who trust me with things even if the plan is to eventually reveal bits and pieces.

Situations change. Between me saying I wouldn't talk anymore about Resident Evil 2021 and now, I found out the whole game scoop is going to be leaked later this month, not by me. I'm just precursory to it, I think the other person giving the scoop deserves the scoop more than I do as they've done some really digging and investigative journalism to reveal this story, I respect that. The reason I leak things actually isn't for attention, and people who think that's why I do it obviously don't know the sorta' stress and accusations doing this sorta' thing throws at you. People really want to hate you if you're in a position they feel like you're holding back, lying, immediate distrust towards you and that can and has turned into harassment. This isn't how I get my jollies, it'd be far, far easier for me to not share anything, because if I was doing this for some kind of love or attention there's so many other things I could do that isn't as destructive as this.

The reason I do it is because I'm a fucking nerd, I don't specifically want to be just known as a leaker, but I also hold three views:
1. Game development works with too much secrecy at this point in time, it does focus a bit too much on hype machines and it's one of the few mediums that do it to this extent. I get not wanting the story or details to leak, but even the existence of things is kept a secret, which is kinda' exclusive to gaming as a huge form of media.
2. But what I share is on things I love. I legitimately love horror, Resident Evil, sharing in passion with people, etc. I know more than most, but often less than people hope, but I don't share it so people come groveling to me for info. I like to trinkle things out sometimes because it's my belief it helps. This Resident Evil 2021 game I think works better with anticipation and building up to its rather near announcement and some of the details of it than if it just gets revealed. It's got a few things some fans of the series, especially purists, will have a hard pill to swallow. There's kinda' a few levels of "acceptance" to be had with the title. Even if I don't say anything I do know this story is breaking though, I'm just prepping to soften the shock a bit and get people a bit faster onto acceptance with the title. The person breaking this and I both already agreed leaking it right now when Resident Evil 3 is coming out is not the right time frame, it'll be better to give RE3 some time to shine. The goal is not to hamper and hurt Capcom, obviously they won't like the leak, but trying to do so in a way that helps in some ways, doesn't just hurt the things I love.
3. This next point may sound contradictory to some other points, but I think it's better people have their doubts about me. I don't really care if people believe me or not, I share what I want to. I often only have fragments, not the whole picture. Part of the fun of my own side of things is piecing things together from pieces. Sometimes I release tidbits to stir the kettle, IE I share something I know, but not all of it, which leads to some coming forward to compare notes and the like. It's kinda' like gambling. This is hard to express if you're not in what might be called information sharing, but sometimes I share breadcrumbs so others in the know know that I know things, and leads to them to approach to share notes and information, which increases the pool, connections, etc. Most people don't know that publicly, but that's been some of my reasoning before.

I also am just a huge dork and I like talking about things.

However, I am and always will be more open than most because in the end I just like talking about these dorky things I love, I'm an enthusiast who loves sharing in that enthusiasm, and it can be fun to contribute to the sense of curiosity and speculation before whatever eventually drops. I try to be as honest as I can. I've also learned from past mistakes which is why I'm sticking to only sharing specific things this time. The story will break later this April and people will find what is said to be true.

In the end my reasoning will never satisfy everyone, some just want this or that, and indeed many just want to throw me off the bus because how I handle things frustrate them. I hope what I do and say helps rather than hurts those involved, and mainly to share small things as a sorta' hype wingman than to just blurt out secrets or do so during times that it just hurts. Some will hate me for that, but that's okay. For now, RE3 is just coming out and that's what has my attention.

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
It's development is very similar to the original Resident Evil 3, not the remake, but I won't expand on what I mean by that until later.

My personal guess is that this means it started off as a spin-off/side game, but will be considered the next main game (i.e. the follow-up to RE7).

Woodbeam

May 6, 2019
I'd be totally down for Resident Medieval. A game covering the origins of Los Illuminados is definitely something I've fantasized about, though it would have to be really different tonally from RE4 to be taken seriously. I wonder if they could pull it off. It could give them a big leg up on the inevitable RE4 remake. It could even include the Salazar family and their castle. Also 4 + 4 = 8 *shock*

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

On the surface level I get why people think this, but it's all a bit more complicated than that in reality and kinda' shows why many people wouldn't be in this position to begin with. If I shared everything publicly the moment I knew it, there'd be huge clusterfucks and problems going for a long time. It'd hurt game developers more, it'd hurt gamers more, and it'd hurt the information sources more, and often it'd be a thing that no one in the end would even appreciate. Timing is important for several reasons, like okay. RE 2021 is going to be revealed very soon, it's too late to make big changes about it, a number of people know about it, it'll be very easy to prove or disprove very soon.

Like let's say that I know of a different RE game that probably wouldn't release until 2024. If I went any more into detail right now outside of its existence, it'd hurt everyone. People don't want details on a game they won't know about for years, the information I have may very well not be true of the final product, games change TREMENDOUSLY during development and with the Resident Evil series, whole versions of games get scrapped during development so even if I did talk about it now it may all end up not even remotely true to the final product. The developers when the leak reaches them will then do a thorough search to see who leaked it, the sources may be in trouble as this early in development games only a certain number of people know about it and they will investigate and try to find who leaked it. For the game's marketing something leaking way ahead of time hurts, the general public think they want to know but more often than not they actually don't want to know about things years away. This is literally a situation that hurts everyone involved, myself, the developers, the gamers, the source, it's a bad leak because it does nothing but hurt everyone involved.

And if I just went spewing everything the moment I knew it, I'd lose every contact I have pretty quickly. I'd be a risk, a liability. I am an open book more than most, but I do respect the wishes of those who trust me with things even if the plan is to eventually reveal bits and pieces.

Situations change. Between me saying I wouldn't talk anymore about Resident Evil 2021 and now, I found out the whole game scoop is going to be leaked later this month, not by me. I'm just precursory to it, I think the other person giving the scoop deserves the scoop more than I do as they've done some really digging and investigative journalism to reveal this story, I respect that. The reason I leak things actually isn't for attention, and people who think that's why I do it obviously don't know the sorta' stress and accusations doing this sorta' thing throws at you. People really want to hate you if you're in a position they feel like you're holding back, lying, immediate distrust towards you and that can and has turned into harassment. This isn't how I get my jollies, it'd be far, far easier for me to not share anything, because if I was doing this for some kind of love or attention there's so many other things I could do that isn't as destructive as this.

The reason I do it is because I'm a fucking nerd, I don't specifically want to be just known as a leaker, but I also hold three views:
1. Game development works with too much secrecy at this point in time, it does focus a bit too much on hype machines and it's one of the few mediums that do it to this extent. I get not wanting the story or details to leak, but even the existence of things is kept a secret, which is kinda' exclusive to gaming as a huge form of media.
2. But what I share is on things I love. I legitimately love horror, Resident Evil, sharing in passion with people, etc. I know more than most, but often less than people hope, but I don't share it so people come groveling to me for info. I like to trinkle things out sometimes because it's my belief it helps. This Resident Evil 2021 game I think works better with anticipation and building up to its rather near announcement and some of the details of it than if it just gets revealed. It's got a few things some fans of the series, especially purists, will have a hard pill to swallow. There's kinda' a few levels of "acceptance" to be had with the title. Even if I don't say anything I do know this story is breaking though, I'm just prepping to soften the shock a bit and get people a bit faster onto acceptance with the title. The person breaking this and I both already agreed leaking it right now when Resident Evil 3 is coming out is not the right time frame, it'll be better to give RE3 some time to shine. The goal is not to hamper and hurt Capcom, obviously they won't like the leak, but trying to do so in a way that helps in some ways, doesn't just hurt the things I love.
3. This next point may sound contradictory to some other points, but I think it's better people have their doubts about me. I don't really care if people believe me or not, I share what I want to. I often only have fragments, not the whole picture. Part of the fun of my own side of things is piecing things together from pieces. Sometimes I release tidbits to stir the kettle, IE I share something I know, but not all of it, which leads to some coming forward to compare notes and the like. It's kinda' like gambling. This is hard to express if you're not in what might be called information sharing, but sometimes I share breadcrumbs so others in the know know that I know things, and leads to them to approach to share notes and information, which increases the pool, connections, etc. Most people don't know that publicly, but that's been some of my reasoning before.

However, I am and always will be more open than most because in the end I just like talking about these dorky things I love, I'm an enthusiast who loves sharing in that enthusiasm, and it can be fun to contribute to the sense of curiosity and speculation before whatever eventually drops. I try to be as honest as I can. I've also learned from past mistakes which is why I'm sticking to only sharing specific things this time. The story will break later this April and people will find what is said to be true.

In the end my reasoning will never satisfy everyone, some just want this or that, and indeed many just want to throw me off the bus because how I handle things frustrate them. I hope what I do and say helps rather than hurts those involved, and mainly to share small things as a sorta' hype wingman than to just blurt out secrets or do so during times that it just hurts. Some will hate me for that, but that's okay. For now, RE3 is just coming out and that's what has my attention.
No need to explain yourself but appreciate the clarification to people annoyed by your selective info drops. I definitely appreciate any new info about horror games you're capable of sharing.

ntinosaur

Oct 27, 2017
A RE game where you play as the merchant.
A "hiking simulator" with combat mechanics a la Death Stranding where you try to scavenge the landscape for weapons, useful items and curables... How much of that you keep/use for yourself and how for the MC ?
Help Chris (or Ethan, Jill, Claire i dunno) with THEIR adventure... They don't die offscreen, but the "rewards" they give you depends on whether you have a selection of good things on sale !

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
I could see a rogue-like similar to Rev 2 Moira's extra ep. You start off with nothing and need to collect weapons/herbs/ammo/keys in a procedurally generated mansion-esque dungeon.

Nardy_19

Alt-account
Banned
Sep 14, 2019

Well i appreciate the effort in this response and i get that you mean no harm. Your third point did you no good but up until then i was starting to see your side. In the end, i get what you are doing and i can see the thrill in it....but a big part of this is UNDERSTANDING the community you are serving and not being tone deaf. YOU may like this, but it's doing more harm than good ( despite your honest intentions).

Again, you explained yourself and it makes sense to you, so good on it. Cheers mate.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017

I am happy that he leaks information the way he does. I don't want everything explained in great detail, that would spoil it. That being said, it is still nice to have these tasty little morsels to chew on before the big info dumps come.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017

These leaks are always interesting thank you Dusk, hey can you tell if first person RE still a thing? 😳

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
I was always wondered why we never got a Revelations 3 considering how fantastic the second game was. This would make sense, but it's all just talk at this point.

I'm intrigued to see what's coming, though.

Odelpha

Oct 17, 2018
"Hallucinations, Occultism, insanity and not being able to trust others are huge thematics"

I love it already