• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Maximilian

The Dood
Verified
Feb 19, 2019
love seeing max like dis

tenor.gif

Biosnake

Oct 25, 2017
Wish we saw a SF6 with no input at all from Ono, but I'm fine with what we're getting now too.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
I truly believe this modern Capcom with an Ono-less fighting game division will make something absolutely amazing. I'm honestly super hyped for the future too.

Wasn't it frustrating watching MH fans eating and eating and eating while SF fans were just hoping for crumb dust? Not even the actual whole crumb, just the dust that comes off the crumbs. Then we get the summer update and its pretty much the same format as the MH update videos.

On top of that, almost every update brought with it QoL updates that showed that the team was listening to the community and addressing the problems or inconveniences within the game itself. They added the guiding lands, listened to their customers and the shit just kept improving. Meanwhile SFV didn't get its netcode even addressed until the shit was on fire because a modder took shit into their own hands.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
Any excitement is tempered by the possibility that Ono already had a hand steering some of the development for next gen and they may not be able to start with a clean slate.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Any excitement is tempered by the possibility that Ono already had a hand steering some of the development for next gen and they may not be able to start with a clean slate.
The worst thing about Ono somewhat steering Capcom's direction for fighting games next-gen is that Capcom All-Stars likely won't be in the cards anytime soon as the next-gen Versus game. Otherwise, we could still see some considerable changes for the better, especially if SFVI won't be out until Q1 2023.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
The tag/team stuff has me kinda worried...
It sounds like that's why it is being re-tooled, but I'm more concerned about tone, character designs, art direction etc that may have been established under him so far.

The worst thing about Ono somewhat steering Capcom's direction for fighting games next-gen is that Capcom All-Stars likely won't be in the cards anytime soon as the next-gen Versus game. Otherwise, we could still see some considerable changes for the better, especially if SFVI won't be out until Q1 2023.
Well, that too.

MufausaThe3rd

Dec 1, 2017
Just a reminder that Bizarro Mike was such an asshole and racist that he chased Mike Ross out of the FGC all together.

Ahh... you definitely do not know Mike at all. Was the joke shitty?

Sure it was a bad joke at the time of when he said that. But as someone who is black. Mike has worked with me several times behind the scenes and has been a super dope person. Please do not label him as a complete piece of shit over one incident that happened. He's a much better person than what you see there.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
However you feel about Ono, I think we needed a clean break so that we could enter into a new era. Capcom fighting games have had more trouble than I wish they had in the last decade or so. Even the games I liked all had issues that had to be smoothed over gradually through various iterations. Capcom has really cleaned its shit up this generation. It is time for that to extend to their fighting games as well.

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
James and David just brought up the news story and David just looked at the camera before James tried to move on. James then said reluctantly that he's optimistic for the future. They moved on after that.

(As folks involved in CPT production and friends with folks we have been and currently are Capcom employees they probably know something. I maintain that where there's smoke there's fire.)

www.twitch.tv

Twitch

Twitch is the world's leading video platform and community for gamers.

When the VOD comes up look around the 2 hour 32 minute mark.

Late edit: I've updated the link above to point directly to the VOD now.

Last edited:

Biosnake

Oct 25, 2017
James and David just brought up the news story and David just looked at the camera before James tried to move on. James then said reluctantly that he's optimistic for the future. They moved on after that.

(As folks involved in CPT production and friends with folks we have been and currently are Capcom employees they probably know something. I maintain that where there's smoke there's fire.)

www.twitch.tv

Twitch

Twitch is the world's leading video platform and community for gamers.

When the VOD comes up look around the 2 hour 32 minute mark.
That silence is all I needed to see lol.

Soulstar

Oct 25, 2017
Project X Zone had Rival Schools characters, I think.
Batsu was in 1 but not 2, that had two Star Gladiator characters (one playable, one boss):
projectxzone.fandom.com

Batsu Ichimonji

"You can't win if your passion is weak." —Batsu, Project X Zone Batsu Ichimonji (一文字 伐, Ichimonji Batsu?) is a character from Capcom's Rival School series. He is the lead protagonist of his series and has also appeared in Capcom's cross over series Tatsunoko vs. Capcom. In Rival Schools and...
projectxzone.fandom.com

June Lin Milliam

June Lin Milliam (ジューン・リン・ミリアム, Jūn Rin Miriamu?) is a character from the Star Gladiator series and a playable solo unit in Project X Zone 2. One of the most talented rhythmic gymnasts in the world, June is a British-Chinese girl who battles to avenge her parents' death at Bilstein's hands...
projectxzone.fandom.com

Black Hayato

Black Hayato is a character from the Star Gladiator series. He appears an enemy unit in Project X Zone 2. Hayato Kanzaki, a member of the special "Star Gladiators" unit, while under the control of his second personality. The result of the awakening of the "genotype" implanted by Bilstein in...

Rival Schools also had random cameos in (U?)MvC3 endings.
Hideo and Kyoko were playable in Namco x Capcom also. That game had a great roster.

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Jeff Gerstmann sort of hinted at people not loving working with Ono in newest bombcast.

Thanks for mentioning this. I just checked this out. Some of what Jeff said:

"People talk to the press. People get out there and make public statements. And they become very beloved. You hear a lot of *different* things from people that have to work with someone day in and day out...

I'll be interested to see what someone else does with Street Fighter; how about that. I'll be interested to see like when you make some changes at the top to put out a new Street Fighter; like what that game eventually looks like."

Ono chat starts around 1 hr 48 min mark and ends at the 1 hr 54 min mark.

youtu.be

Giant Bombcast 647: The Historical Gamer Strikes Again!

If you're looking for LIVE REAX to the breaking Halo Infinite delay, impressions of the Avengers beta, and expectations for Rocksteady's Suicide Squad game a...

Where there's smoke there's fire.

Side note: Holy hell at Ben saying "V didn't really have a hook. The difference between Street Fighter IV and Street Fighter V is like nothing."

Late edit: I've updated the link above to point directly to the YT video of the Bombcast at the correct timestamp.

Last edited:

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
has it been announced what Max is working on yet?

he hinted at sommit to do with "Twitch people" down the line, my guess was sommit like a Twitch fighting game tournament maybe?

next gen should be an interesting time for fighting games and how events are held

NexusCell

Nov 2, 2017
Every FGC personality who has worked with Capcom seems to be barely holding back the urge to publicly celebrate Ono's departure. Lots of "I'm optimistic about the future of Street Fighter" or "I appreciate what Ono did with SF4" comments.

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I didn't realize the Bombcast episode would be on YouTube already. I just saw it and grabbed the URL to replace the link in my Bombcast post above.

Imran’s thoughts on the SFVI situation & Ono’s departure
OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Here's Imran talking about the whole ordeal. Sounds like he's echoing much of what we've been hearing (Ono screwing up SFVI was the last straw for Capcom, Ono being difficult to work with, etc.).

Oct 27, 2017
ATL
I'm more excited than I could ever possibly be for the future of Capcom fighting games.

So you're thinking Mick Gordon will do the soundtrack to SF6???

Bad KI joke...

In my opinion, just like DMCV and RE7, Capcom needs to be willing to put concerted effort, risk, and financial backing into SFVI (it also needs to be truly multi-platform). They really dropped the ball with the production of SFV and MvCI.

Last edited:

Neonep

Oct 25, 2017
So you're thinking Mick Gordon will do the soundtrack to SF6???

Bad KI joke...

In my opinion, just like DMCV and RE7, Capcom needs to be willing to put concerted effort, risk, and financial backing into SFVI (it also needs to be truly multi-platform). They really dropped the ball with the production of SFV and MvCI.
Fighting games are way more expensive.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Where there's smoke there's fire.

Side note: Holy hell at Ben saying "V didn't really have a hook. The difference between Street Fighter IV and Street Fighter V is like nothing."

Late edit: I've updated the link above to point directly to the YT video of the Bombcast at the correct timestamp.
lol
This is why I don't pay attention to what mainstream journos have to say about fighting games.

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017

I love GB but basically after the launch they wrote it off and nothing it has done has changed that opinion. It was frustrating listening over the years no matter what cool thing happened with SFV it was either never mentioned or it was "well this happened with SFV... anyways..."

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I love GB but basically after the launch they wrote it off and nothing it has done has changed that opinion. It was frustrating listening over the years no matter what cool thing happened with SFV it was either never mentioned or it was "well this happened with SFV... anyways..."
They've had shit and uninformed SFV opinions for years now. I definitely tune out every time it comes up on the podcast.