• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Can back up Dusk as I've heard the same. But this is surface level stuff regarding Ono/Capcom FG division over the years. Curious if any other employees will come out with some of the other events in the future.
Does that include the Midori Yuasa part? Dusk Golem said it probably was her. But since he said himself that he isn't great with names, it'd be nice to have clarification.

Last edited:

Kamek

Oct 27, 2017
So much Ono hate, Jesus. Put some respect on his name. Yes there were some debacles but every auteur has em . SF4 was glorious, and as much as people complained Sfv was barebones at launch, it was fun as hell and one of my most played games this gen. It ended up being quite good. I'm all for new devs but the Ono should retire, fuck Ono vitriol is so OD.

BrunOz

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Hehe...

I wish the best for Ono but at the same time I really want DAT Capcom fighting games force coming back at full speed, so I hope both end up being in a fine spot at the end of the day.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Folks thinking that just because a person was involved with a thing they like they had to be really involved with the good bits. No ono could have just been involved, got credit and that might be why we are here.

Bob White

Oct 27, 2017
Sucks that Ono may have put us FOUR years out from the glorious "capcom is back" run started last year. Will Capcom still be back in 2023? 🤔

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
Sucks that Ono may have put us FOUR years out from the glorious "capcom is back" run started last year. Will Capcom still be back in 2023? 🤔

The way these cycles go, Resident Evil will probably be gone again by the time Golden Age Street Fighter is back.

But we'll still have Monster Hunter riding the crest of its wave.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
After learning that SFV was originally handled by an animation studio that shaved off several years of precious development time, I feel like this is very close to becoming a repeat of SF5 where the content will once again be abysmal because they didn't have enough time to make it since they had to fix the game first.
wait what happened? what's the story behind this?

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
Honestly, I dont think I would have enjoyed SFVI with a "team mechanic" it is so vague but I would hate it to be a tag game. I mostly dont like tag games at all especially in fighting. SF X Tekken was garbage to me.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought we knew this? Ono was moved to Capcom's eSports side in one of the previous fiscals and is no longer the face of Street Fighter or works in development. It's why he was not in the stream at all to begin with last week.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
I thought we knew this? Ono was moved to Capcom's eSports side in one of the previous fiscals and is no longer the face of Street Fighter or works in development. It's why he was not in the stream at all to begin with last week.

We didn't know why.

Technically we still don't know why since this rumor is not confirmed. This thread is not about the what but the why.

John Omaha

Oct 25, 2017
while I mainly agree that his track record has not been good I do feel some sympathy as he is a person who is clearly passionate about street fighter and for his health problems while being insanely overworked while developing SFxT.
He's still a person and someone who's clearly passionate about his job and the community. That might be where the sympathy's coming from, but maybe it's just me.
I get that and wish him nothing but the best on a personal level. From a professional standpoint, however, it's pretty clear that Ono wasn't a good fit to be in charge of the fighting game division regardless of how passionate he is about SF and its community, so I can't really feel bad for him getting demoted. He still occupies a pretty high-ranking (and well paid) position at Capcom after his demotion, one that plays a lot more to his strengths as a hype man and community manager/advocate. The man is still eating good and doing a lot of what he likes in his new role.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We didn't know why.

Technically we still don't know why since this rumor is not confirmed. This thread is not about the what but the why.
The bigger issue though is that Ono was demoted in 2016 from General Manager of Division 2 to General Manager of Management of Division 2 and SF Business Department etc. all away from actual development. And they've slowly been removing roles from him ever since to now, as of March 2020, just being eSports Executive Producer.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
The bigger issue though is that Ono was demoted in 2016 from General Manager of Division 2 to General Manager of Management of Division 2 and SF Business Department etc. all away from actual development. And they've slowly been removing roles from him ever since to now, as of March 2020, just being eSports Executive Producer.

You still on what when we on why.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
It's crazy catching up on this stuff in the last couple of days. Actually understanding how and why sf5 Was exclusive. I don't even blame Sony any more. It was Capcom incompetence that caused that exclusivity deal.

streetfighter holds such an importance to me. Capcom are killing it though and it's gutting. this news about sf6 is upsetting :(

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So much Ono hate, Jesus. Put some respect on his name. Yes there were some debacles but every auteur has em . SF4 was glorious, and as much as people complained Sfv was barebones at launch, it was fun as hell and one of my most played games this gen. It ended up being quite good. I'm all for new devs but the Ono should retire, fuck Ono vitriol is so OD.

Yeah let's give Ono a break, I mean he only fucked up every project he was on after SF4 and was seemingly going to ruin another one before he got demoted. But we should ignore that because he made my favourite fighty game 10 years ago and I like it when he goes 'ERRYBODY SHORRYUKEN!!!'.

thomasmahler

Game Director at Moon Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
Yeah let's give Ono a break, I mean he only fucked up every project he was on after SF4 and was seemingly going to ruin another one before he got demoted. But we should ignore that because he made my favourite fighty game 10 years ago and I like it when he goes 'ERRYBODY SHORRYUKEN!!!'.
Ono also broke up the Beatles. Bastard.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
Yes Ono fucked up with the beginning of SF5
But I assume he was also the one that steered it back with arcade edition and finally champion edition?
Redeemed himself imo

Hope he doesn't stay on the shit list for too long, he seems pretty cool

Raigor

May 14, 2020

Unless they fuck up with RE8, Pragmata and Itsuno project they are still back for at least 2 more years.

For real, they shoud've demoted him after Deep Down failure and SF V launch and start with new talent.

It's not like Capcom does not have capable directors or they can't hire them from elsewhere.

MnM

Alt-Account
Banned
Mar 9, 2020
Something tells me that SFVI will reuse a lot of SFV's assets.

Oct 25, 2017
C'mon man, lets be fair, he was fucking up projects before SF4, too and almost completely ended fighting games at capcom.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Folks thinking that just because a person was involved with a thing they like they had to be really involved with the good bits. No ono could have just been involved, got credit and that might be why we are here.
That's the thing, huh ? When things are good, one people is responsible, when they're not, he obviously doesn't work alone !

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
If only they demoted him after the debacle that was
...sfxt
...mvci
...having a CG studio try and make SFV

I have only one take away from this... stop putting the word infinite in your title. It's like a development curse after seeing MvC: Infinite, Bioshock Infinite and whatever the hell I saw when looking at Halo Infinite. Eternal seems fine but even Doom had some issues on the music side 😋

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
C'mon man, lets be fair, he was fucking up projects before SF4, too and almost completely ended fighting games at capcom.

Ah yes, try as I must I just can't forget such gems as Capcom Fighting Jam. More you think about it the more it seems like SF4 was a fluke tbh

His Blanka doll is so cute though, he's so quirky.

What's in Blanka's pocket today? Seven months of silence!

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England
Do we need a new Street Fighter each gen?

There's a constant stream of content so it feels almost too much when that continues into the next gen, and I believe that helps contribute to burn out and lower sales.

I'd rather they released a definitive edition of the previous gen's SF at the start of the new generation and then focus on a different fighting series throughout that following period.

So basically a new Street Fighter every 2 gens and a different fighter as the focus in between. Genuinely think this would help the long term sustainability of the series but appreciate the hardcore crowd want something new often as well.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
I hope it bakes in the oven for a long time then, sounds like a mid to late 2022 release atm which I think works very well in terms of actually releasing the game when the install base on both platforms is healthy.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019

There's a constant stream of content so it feels almost too much when that continues into the next gen, and I believe that helps contribute to burn out and lower sales.

I'd rather they released a definitive edition of the previous gen's SF at the start of the new generation and then focus on a different fighting series throughout that following period.

So basically a new Street Fighter every 2 gens and a different fighter as the focus in between. Genuinely think this would help the long term sustainability of the series but appreciate the hardcore crowd want something new often as well.
I'm not sure you get the importance of Street Fighter and a new one regularly. Yes it's needed.

Incubuster

Oct 30, 2017

Yes, I do think we need a new one. Capcom has only made 2 fighting games this gen, both were failures with SFV saving face years after launch. SFV is in a dramatically better place now than when it came out, but there is still plenty that can be changed and improved not even counting new ideas for systems within the game play. All of this doesn't even take into account the expanding online fighting community that Capcom struggles to be a part of because SFV has iffy net code and the game was programmed in a way that prevents them from fundamentally changing that.

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017

Yes, yes we do.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
I feel like demotions is something most western companies wouldn't do. And I actually think that's a real problem. (Especially when it's BioWare). However I also get that it's Japanese culture to demote someone make them feel miserable and so they quit on their own rather than being fired, which I've read is a common strategy due to legal reasons. So no winners.

If it wasn't for that, I also get the stigma of being demoted, like you're a director, your teams look up to you and suddenly you're told "no, you aren't good enough, start designing levels with the rookies again" but honestly if you ever were to hope for a genuine meriotocracy, that's how it should work. That's also why more flat structures are better, where no one is seen as the "better guys", but then you wouldn't have a director and... I'm rambling but look, company development is hard and IMO in an undesireable place on both fronts.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
dang sad to hear but I am fine with them pushing it back as long as it isn't barren in content like SFV was at launch

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
Something tells me that SFVI will reuse a lot of SFV's assets.
I hope not, since I think SF could benefit greatly from a visual shakeup. A lot of people are against hyper real character models for SF but I think it could work. Or at least a different cartoonish visual style than the one we've seen ever since SFIV.

Or follow my idea: turn it into a JRPG. Ryu learns shoryuken at level 5, this game writes itself!

Feb 24, 2018
But will old man one-arm Ryu be in Street Fighter 6?

People are mentioning that Ono had been making screw ups before SF4, what were those exactly?

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017

Polygon Pictures was the one who did the cinematics of Street Fighter X Tekken. They are only known to make commercials or shorts but were somehow the developers of Street Fighter V for the first few years of development. It's beyond puzzling

It's not only short and commercials, they've been doing lots of Anime with Netflix, Series like Knights of Sidonia and Ajin, Movies like Blame and a Godzilla Trilogy.
They also worked on lots of Transformers series and Star Wars The Clone Wars and other things these those IPs.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
Yes. We especially need a Street Fighter that isn't SF5 lol
And it's coming from someone who appreciate SF5. But it's still one of the most boring Capcom fighting games ever. I prefer to play Marvel vs Capcom Infinite rather than 5. (Infinite looks ugly as hell and has a shit roster, but is super fun to play)