• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Absolutely.
Doesn't help that FGC youtubers (Max, Core-A, James Chen, etc) gained in popularity and pushed the idea as well that simpler doesn't make the game better in the end.
I mean, a solid argument could be made that a fighting game can be as complex as it wants to be as long as it's initially easy to get into & there's a ton of content for casual fans to sink their teeth into. Melee is actually a solid example of this. It's a pretty easy game to get into, but the skill ceiling reaches the fucking moon. Same for UMvC3 (though the content part can be debated), easy to get into as far as traditional fighting games go, but there's a ton of depth.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel bad for Ono, guy gets dunked on so much.

He doesn't get dunked on enough. SFxT was a huge failure coming off of the success of SF4. SF5 launch was awful. MvCI was a huge failure when Marvel has never been more popular. There's a pattern there and I, for one, couldn't be happier if he's not handling fighting games anymore.

Deleted member 5593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So this new director is mostly known for mobile games? Why do so many people consider her an inspired replacement to Ono?

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
So this new director is mostly known for mobile games? Why do so many people consider her an inspired replacement to Ono?
If this rumor is true (which is up for debate, as shown by one of the threadmarks), Ono's string of failures (SFxT, SFV's launch, MvCI, what was supposedly gonna happen to SFVI) would make any new replacement an improvement.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Yeah, I can't dunk on Ono because he gave us SF4, the game that got me really interested in FGs, so while I'm glad that the future of Capcom FGs might be better, I can't be hard on the dude.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
He doesn't get dunked on enough. SFxT was a huge failure coming off of the success of SF4. SF5 launch was awful. MvCI was a huge failure when Marvel has never been more popular. There's a pattern there and I, for one, couldn't be happier if he's not handling fighting games anymore.
There's few times I wish "upvotes" existed on era. This is one.

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I believe the part of this rumor that states SFVI was planned for 2021 and then delayed. I have specific details in my reasoning in the spoiler below. Or you can jump to the TL; DR.
Thinking about the last 2 years of SFV support has lead me to realize there were real signs that SFV support was ending and that SFVI was on the way:
  1. The Season 4 characters were stretched across a 14-month period with the first character Kage releasing in December 2018 and the final character Seth releasing at the start of SFV's 5th CPT seasons in February of this year. This was likely an attempt to stretch character drops so that the final year of SFV would start with a new character. (For comparison, the final Season 3 characters - G and Sagat - were released in August of 2018.)

This approach is reminiscent of Capcom released Ultra Street Fighter IV in May 2015 and ran one more CPT season - 2015 - using the same release.

2. As many in the community noticed the Capcom Pro Tour 2020 rules published in December 2019 specified that the Capcom Cup 2020 champion would not auto-quality for the 2021 Capcom Pro Tour. The only time this happened was when the Pro Tour transitioned from SFIV to SFV meaning a new game was likely on the horizon.

I wasn't a fan of this theory but now I accept that everyone else in the community was probably right.
And the roadmap for the Season 5 characters mirrors the approach with the Season 4 characters. The character drops - probably greenlit this January or earlier - will stretch all the way to the end of 2021 so that the 2022 season will starts off with the last character having recently dropped. So we will have just one final season - CPT 2022 - with characters that just dropped in the prior year.

This schedule is even closer to what Capcom did with Ultra Street Fighter IV.

CPT 2020 Rules (rules before COVID-19 happened):

CPT 2016 Qualifying Details:
capcomprotour.com

Capcom Pro Tour 2016 Season Details | Capcom Pro Tour

Learn all about the Capcom Pro Tour 2016 Season and how to qualify for Capcom Cup!

--
TL;DR

Capcom was probably trying to stretch the Season 4 characters to 2020 because they expected SFVI to launch in 2021 and wanted the last year of SFV on the Pro Tour to start w/ new content (Seth). The delay is surely the reason for the Season 5 characters.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
From a company position. Going for teams makes sense. SF gets a lot of viewership and capcom wants to grow esports.
Being able to have "teams" in different ways could/could've added to that. I would imagine one such ideas was to almost have a Overwatch league of sorts but for Street Fighter. Of course things like that are easier said than done on paper.
SFV already has a team mode and such a league already exists.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I think he means team battles becoming the main event.

I believe the part of this rumor that states SFVI was planned for 2021 and then delayed. I have specific details in my reasoning in the spoiler below. Or you can jump to the TL; DR.
Thinking about the last 2 years of SFV support has lead me to realize there were real signs that SFV support was ending and that SFVI was on the way:
  1. The Season 4 characters were stretched across a 14-month period with the first character Kage releasing in December 2018 and the final character Seth releasing at the start of SFV's 5th CPT seasons in February of this year. This was likely an attempt to stretch character drops so that the final year of SFV would start with a new character. (For comparison, the final Season 3 characters - G and Sagat - were released in August of 2018.)

This approach is reminiscent of Capcom released Ultra Street Fighter IV in May 2015 and ran one more CPT season - 2015 - using the same release.

2. As many in the community noticed the Capcom Pro Tour 2020 rules published in December 2019 specified that the Capcom Cup 2020 champion would not auto-quality for the 2021 Capcom Pro Tour. The only time this happened was when the Pro Tour transitioned from SFIV to SFV meaning a new game was likely on the horizon.

I wasn't a fan of this theory but now I accept that everyone else in the community was probably right.
And the roadmap for the Season 5 characters mirrors the approach with the Season 4 characters. The character drops - probably greenlit this January or earlier - will stretch all the way to the end of 2021 so that the 2022 season will starts off with the last character having recently dropped. So we will have just one final season - CPT 2022 - with characters that just dropped in the prior year.

This schedule is even closer to what Capcom did with Ultra Street Fighter IV.

CPT 2020 Rules (rules before COVID-19 happened):

CPT 2016 Qualifying Details:
capcomprotour.com

Capcom Pro Tour 2016 Season Details | Capcom Pro Tour

Learn all about the Capcom Pro Tour 2016 Season and how to qualify for Capcom Cup!

--
TL;DR

Capcom was probably trying to stretch the Season 4 characters to 2020 because they expected SFVI to launch in 2021 and wanted the last year of SFV on the Pro Tour to start w/ new content (Seth). The delay is surely the reason for the Season 5 characters.

Yeah, I feel like most don't disagree with that idea at this point. It's now more of a debate as to why SFVI was delayed & if this rumor is true.

John Omaha

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get the sympathy for Ono. He's had one (admittedly substantial) success with SFIV but every other major project he spearheaded failed in some capacity.

- Capcom Fighting Jam was an embarrassment.

- Street Fighter x Tekken flopped despite combining the two biggest names in traditional fighting games.

- SFV was a mess in development and at launch.

- We don't talk about Marvel Vs. Capcom Infinite.

- And now we've learned that SFVI was in development hell too.

Dude should have been sacked a long time ago. He can still do his weird antics as community manager.

Deleted member 61909

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 5, 2019
I don't get the sympathy for Ono. He's had one (admittedly substantial) success with SFIV but every other major project he spearheaded failed in some capacity.

- Street Fighter x Tekken flopped despite combining the two biggest names in traditional fighting games.

Dude should have been sacked a long time ago. He can still do his weird antics as community manager.

while I mainly agree that his track record has not been good I do feel some sympathy as he is a person who is clearly passionate about street fighter and for his health problems while being insanely overworked while developing SFxT.

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I can't dunk on Ono because he gave us SF4, the game that got me really interested in FGs, so while I'm glad that the future of Capcom FGs might be better, I can't be hard on the dude.

This is where I'm at. Things will be better, thanks for taking it this far; it seems to have outgrown his recent decision making.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I think he means team battles becoming the main event.

Yeah, I feel like most don't disagree with that idea at this point. It's now more of a debate as to why SFVI was delayed & if this rumor is true.

Yeah what Neoxon said, as for the league do the teams need to be "purchased"? As that was the aspect I should've clarified that Capcom likely wants to replicate if things were to get bigger. Where teams cost like 20 Million to put together.

lori

Oct 25, 2017
ono's had basically nothing but severe repeat failures on his watch after sf4, running the momentum of two major crossover entries directly into the ground

i'm honestly shocked they gave him sf6 in the first place considering he's on... strike 3 or 4, at this point.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, a solid argument could be made that a fighting game can be as complex as it wants to be as long as it's initially easy to get into & there's a ton of content for casual fans to sink their teeth into. Melee is actually a solid example of this. It's a pretty easy game to get into, but the skill ceiling reaches the fucking moon. Same for UMvC3 (though the content part can be debated), easy to get into as far as traditional fighting games go, but there's a ton of depth.
I don't think MvC3 is easy to get into considering you have to know three characters to play a single match

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
1286.jpg

You seem biased.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil

He's still a person and someone who's clearly passionate about his job and the community. That might be where the sympathy's coming from, but maybe it's just me.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
I have sympathy for Ono because he clearly really loves fighting games, even if everything he loves about fighting games and wants to see in them is like completely off-base for me and a lot of the market, and it frankly feels like everyone else is constantly fighting him to keep the games from becoming a reflection of his personal tastes.

I feel like a huge dick saying it, but Ono is basically the reason that corporate suits love focus group testing: sometimes your creative guy actually is just completely out of touch with your market.

wedl

Oct 26, 2017
why are yall immediately throwing ONO under the bus for shit he didn't even do

you know there are multiple people who make design decisions with these games right

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017

You know what, if this turns out to be true (which it seems like its not now), I would be worried about the mobile background and the standard for successful game design is in that realm.

lusca_bueno

Nov 23, 2017
Yeah, I guess it was about time. I'm glad he gave us SFIV, but ever since it's been rough. Very excited to see the new direction in Capcom fighting games, they have such amazing IPs with great history behind them, I just want to see more titles, more budget, more quality, more modernized takes on the genre. These IPs deserve better.

Incubuster

Oct 30, 2017
Sad to hear about Ono messing things up again. He was always such a likable personality when it came to Capcom and Street Fighter.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I don't think MvC3 is easy to get into considering you have to know three characters to play a single match
Which is made up for with the easier button layout compared to, say, Street Fighter.

is this the end of the blanka toy era?
Ono's still around as Executive Producer of eSports, so I'd imagine that he'll remain as a hype man of sorts. As such, we may still get some Blanka toy appearances here-&-there. But rumor aside, it's clear that they're shifting to have a focus on the devs (& I love it).

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
But guys, he's just so bubbly and likeable.

Are you telling me almost all the projects under his purview being failures ISN'T a coincidence?

rude

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair to Ono, Marvel Infinite's failure feels like it was on the hands of Capcom upper management. Greenlit when they knew they didn't want to give it a big budget and were prevented from including certain properties. Mess.

the rest is Ono's fault yes

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
This is only good news, can't believe how much of a fuck up V was and I will entirely blame Ono.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
lol I'm sure after Spider-Man, you're on pins and needles.

Yeah, that was a bit annoying. I did buy SFV on PC, thing is my arcade stick isn't compatible with PS4 and my brother and most of my friends play on Xbox so that was quite a shit move for my gaming habits. We did play a lot of Mortal Kombat though, so not a total loss.