• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Weren't the weird systems in SFxTK like Gems and Pandora Ono's ideas? I would have a hard time trusting him with games after that, and I like the dude.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Team mechanics? No, why? Glad to see another woman involved heavily in a top position for a fighting game, it'd be nice to see her and Hiroki show up more often in fighting game events in 2021 or 2022, though if SF6 ain't coming out till like 2023 then I don't know.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Wow, damn. Now give me SF5 Ultimate Edition with all non-cosmetic content on disc.

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
wow, so this is the second time he fucked up a sf sequel and the team hast to fix his mess. i hope sf6 does not launch with the same problems as sfv. damn, that must have been a ton of money he wasted. 2 years on the original version of sfv and now this.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Man I'm so pumped for SF6 based off those tweets, it sounds so exciting and Yuasa already sounds like she's doing a stellar job. You can already feel the breath of fresh air in the division from that S5 reveal. I honestly don't think a character like Akira would have ever made it into SF with Ono in charge.

Yeah, was watching Max's reaction to it and you can really tell the difference. It's like they're finally starting to get some of that energy and passion that the rest of Capcom's been vibing the last couple years. Very hopeful to see.

ShinAmano

Oct 30, 2017
So if SFVI is having development problems that mirror the ones SFV did as presented by Matt McMuscles... does that pave the way for Sony to swoop in and money hat SFVI like they did for SFV? 🤔

Was it a good ROI for Sony?

Why is making a new Street Fighter entry so hard anyway when some kids in a basement put together a quality fighting game like Them's Fightin Herds as competently as they did on a shoestring budget?
Please God no

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
So who is Midori Yuasa and what makes him a good replacement for Ono?
For starters, Midori Yuasa is a woman. As for what makes her a good replacement, we don't know. But if this is true, then anything is better than what Ono had planned for SFVI.

SFVI and DBFZ both being led by women is a pretty cool thing. Hope SFVI is less pervy than V as a result
Poor Ono, feels bad for him. But it's good to have a new director with a new vision for the franchise. And I'm surprised it's a woman, think is the first one to direct a Capcom game. Expecting good things.
Team mechanics? No, why? Glad to see another woman involved heavily in a top position for a fighting game, it'd be nice to see her and Hiroki show up more often in fighting game events in 2021 or 2022, though if SF6 ain't coming out till like 2023 then I don't know.
Good points, it's great to have more women in higher positions for fighting games if this is true.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
So is this why Darkstalkers got trademarked again? They bumped Ono off SF6 and threw Darkstalkers at him? Please say yes? Please?

Reasons to doubt the rumor

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Multiple points in that rumor don't make sense, and I've already talked about it before that in some other threads.

- Ono isn't a director and never will be (demotion or not). He's an executive producer nowadays.
- Yuasa is not only purely on the business side of things, she's also in the USA and focused on the west in general. She's not even in the games division. It's not hard to check official hierarchy positions at Capcom, they're really transparent about this.
- Dusk has been unreliable/piggybacking for Capcom rumors that aren't about Resident Evil (where he's extremely reliable there). His replies show even more confusion/how he doesn't know much about this.
- Most of what he said can easily be speculated, between the timeframe of development, the reboot, the internal changes, etc. Most of that info is easy to see from official statements at Capcom (financial results, hierarchy changes, etc) and changes over time in terms of strategy. Nothing hard to guess there.
- COVID is an obvious delay in JP (already talked about recently in the roundtable), and SFV season 5 being a last minute addition is obvious too.

It's hard to find a reason to look into this rumor. Come on.

edit: and please read each point before replying.
Even already had this discussion with Neoxon, weird to see you believe that based on our conversation.

edit 2:
Note that I'm not saying that the director changed or that there hasn't been some issues during development. Just that the rest sounds like a mix of speculation and people reading too much into it. It's doubtful it's going as badly as some make it sound, and the positions parts of the rumor is proven bullshit.

Last edited:

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
So is this why Darkstalkers got trademarked again? They bumped Ono off SF6 and threw Darkstalkers at him? Please say yes? Please?

Having Darkstalker being resurrected just to be given to Ono is probably one of the most Darkstalkers thing it could happen

i'm assuming it'll get cancelled internally

Oct 29, 2017
This explains Season V better than Capcom suddenly being shocked at how well SFV is doing--especially given how Season 4 turned out and how long Season 5 is being stretched out.

While I'll always be grateful to Ono for reviving the franchise with IV, Capcom Fighters have been underwhelming for the entire generation on his watch. Here's hoping the new boss handles things better.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Team mechanic is not Street Fighter...

Got to make that a spinoff or something.

We want footsies!

Maybe this means a patch for PS5??

Feb 24, 2018
When I think team based mechanic in one of these esport/competitive fighting games, I think of the forced and botched 3v3 team based mechanics of Dissisia Final Fantasy NT that just didn't work and issolated the existing fan base of that series (also for gutting all the single player content and story mode the series was beloved for it's fanbase for) that was done in order to compete with the Hero Shoorters and Moba games.

Makes me wonder if their was more to what happened to that cancelled DarkStalkers games then we know.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Multiple points in that rumor don't make sense, and I've already talked about it before that in some other threads.

- Ono isn't a director and never will be (demotion or not). He's an executive producer nowadays.
- Yuasa is not only purely on the business side of things, she's also in the USA and focused on the west in general. She's not even in the games division. It's not hard to check official hierarchy positions at Capcom, they're really transparent about this.
- Dusk has been unreliable/piggybacking for Capcom rumors that aren't about Resident Evil (where he's extremely reliable there). His replies show even more confusion/how he doesn't know much about this.
- Most of what he said can easily be speculated, between the timeframe of development, the reboot, the internal changes, etc. Most of that info is easy to see from official statements at Capcom (financial results, hierarchy changes, etc) and changes over time in terms of strategy. Nothing hard to guess there.
- COVID is an obvious delay in JP (already talked about recently in the roundtable), and SFV season 5 being a last minute addition is obvious too.

Even already had this discussion with Neoxon, weird to see you believe that based on our conversation.
I'm only posting the thread based on what Dusk Golem said, hence the Rumor tag. I'm not 100% sure about it myself given what you clarified to me a while back (I even mentioned the fact that Ono was more on the business side of things in one of the replies to him).

That said, he did respond to the director thing.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Yuasa lives in Marina Del Rey...how the fuck is she calling the shots on SF6, a Japanese production?

DG's info is always highly suspect, even the stuff he gets right about RE is only halfway right most of the time. I will say parts of it are somewhat believable considering Season V seems like it was decided on like it was an emergency scenario. Very weird how not a single character is completed.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
For starters, Midori Yuasa is a woman. As for what makes her a good replacement, we don't know. But if this is true, then anything is better than what Ono had planned for SFVI.

Good points, it's great to have more women in higher positions for fighting games if this is true.

Yeah, that's surprising and intriguing. I mistakenly just assumed she was male when I should not have. Has there ever been a women with such a major role in the development of a fighting game? It's certainly exciting, that's for sure.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017

At the very least I hope it leads to better representations of the female fighters in the game... perhaps Cammy's default outfit might finally cover her butt cheeks, no DLC required.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Since day 1 they said that they will support the game for 5 years at least, and they did. yet here he says the last season pass is "unexpected", so i call bullshit on this one

www.vg247.com

Capcom plans to support Street Fighter 5 until 2020, says Ono

Capcom is committed to Street Fighter 5 for the long haul.
Even if Season 5 wasn't greenlit, Season 4 content still lasted into 2020 since the Champion Edition/Seth launched this February (and might also encompass CPT plans), so that article would be correct regardless of whether this rumor is true. If anything the fact that Season 5 is so spaced out and that it's going all the way into late 2021 gives credence to the notion that this season is more of a late decision stopgap.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If the director is Yuasa part is true then hopefully less sexualization next game.

It really did seem odd what happened to Ono but this makes sense.

Deleted member 1190

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midori Yuasa was the boss of Capcoms mobile department, wasn't she?

Wondering if it's actually her.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Even if Season 5 wasn't greenlit, Season 4 content still lasted into 2020, so that article would be correct regardless of whether this rumor is true. If anything the fact that Season 5 is so spaced out and that it's going all the way into late 2021 gives credence to the notion that this season is more of a stopgap.
I'd more argue that Season 5 being so spaced out is a better indication that the original plan was to end SFV support after Season 4 was finished. If this specific rumor is true is up for debate, as the likes of Naga & rude have pointed out the gaps in Dusk Golem's reports.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Dusk Golem gives more clarification

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017

I can comment on the first two things very well.

By directing I really meant producing, but there's something a bit weird at Capcom about the Producer role I know from Division 1. Basically the actual directors direct the project, but the Producers make all the decisions and the directors have to get things through the producer, how much freedom the director truly has is up to the producer, while the producer can either leave it more to the director or can actively lead development and be the "actual" director. I've heard Resident Evil game's have had some power struggle over this, the most severe case of this was RE2 Remake where the directors and the producer were pushing in opposite directions of what they wanted to go for until the Director's vision won after much tension. The producers can take over the project if they think the directors are not doing a good job, or change who's directing or even take over and make most of the calls for the project. I don't know if Division 3 works the exact same as Division 1, but I imagine it does.

From how I understand it, Ono was basically making most of the calls for SF6, he was being given another chance, he was the one who pushed for a team mechanic for SF6, and he screwed it up. I don't know if Division 3 works just like Division 1, but it sounds like the Producers get a lot of power over the project.

I'm not piggybacking off any rumors, I heard all of this pretty directly, but inadvertently. It'd be like... Hearing details on a subject you know surface level about, but you don't really study it. I didn't hear this in the grapevine, I heard this from a direct source of mine, just I'm not super into Street Fighter.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly none of this seems impossible. We know Ono was demoted back in April and rumours about tag mechanics in SF6 have been going around for a while (I first heard about it back in 2018 or so) so this isn't shocking to me. The only 'questionable' aspect of this was that Ono was directing SF6 which I also find hard to believe but I'm sure as a producer he still had input that was a detriment to development. I mean, we can look at the obvious signs here to know that Ono was not well liked in the fighting division and that his demotion has breathed new life into it. If this Yuasa (or whoever this woman is as Yuasa apparently lives in the US lol) is indeed directing 6 and heading the division then already I know she's going to do great things.

Bob White

Oct 27, 2017
If only they demoted him after the debacle that was
...sfxt
...mvci
...having a CG studio try and make SFV

theLusitanian

Nov 3, 2017
Can you forgive me for being ignorant and asking what Ono did that was screwing things up at Capcom? I thought he was a generally likable guy who was doing good things? (Last I checked.)

KhrossSF

Jul 8, 2020
is there reason for the hostility towards this subject and Dusk Golem in general? I understand he's more known for the RE (Horror Side) of Capcom games but with some of these posts in here has something changed? I thought he nailed the Village leak to a T and he did go kinda far out on a limb with some of those points he made about it.

EDIT: Also in the tweet its the user who states the name Yuasa , Dusk originally states hes not sure about the name of the woman heading the project

Madman009

Oct 27, 2017
Sad to hear that Ono was potentially the problem all this time but its sounding and starting to look like demoting him was the way to go.

Keep that sucker in the oven for as long as it needs and also give me Mika at launch again!.....and you know what I'd totally be down for some actual redesigns ala sexy Ryu for the entire cast, hoping the new blood mixes things up in the right ways and doesn't try to keep things too safe.

Jun 23, 2019
SFVI and DBFZ both being led by women is a pretty cool thing. Hope SFVI is less pervy than V as a result

Remains to be seen. I've seen women create some pervy character designs themselves so I'd imagine they would have to set that expectation right now before the game gets too far into development to make excuses why it can't be less lewd.