• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

We_care_a_lot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Summerside PEI
I'm not really sure this excites me much. I don't think this is what I look for in resident evil. zany monster designs and gore.

I don't know.

I do know that they've been knocking it out of the park with their last few games so I'm excited for whatever they come up with.

Brix

Oct 25, 2017
This is true to an extent. Take Michelangelo's David, for instance. While very realistic, it has choice exaggerated proportions meant to accentuate and capture certain idealized aspects of the human figure. You'll find this common throughout art history.

So this is anime?

Oct 24, 2019
No idea when the reveal is actually, but it was planned for E3 before COVID-19 hit.

Appreciate the info! Off topic, but while you're here answering things, would you be willing to share anything you've heard about a hypothetical Evil Within 3? I know that Tango is working on Ghostwire, but is there any chance for Evil Within 3 after that or is the franchise basically dead at this point?

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Appreciate the info! Off topic, but while you're here answering things, would you be willing to share anything you've heard about a hypothetical Evil Within 3? I know that Tango is working on Ghostwire, but is there any chance for Evil Within 3 after that or is the franchise basically dead at this point?
It probably depends on the success of Ghostwire. I'd imagine they want it to be a new franchise they could make sequels to.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
I'm so excited for Resident Evil 8 if even half of these rumors are true. Now, if there's a good basis for a rumor saying VR is going to be on PC as well, then I'm going to be 250% on board instead of just 100%.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Seems like this person has seen Silent Hill already too then? Did he/she give hints on the rumors that Sony is having it as exclusive or is it actually multiplatform?

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Oh, I wasn't weighing in on that convo. Just that animated (or otherwise hand-crafted) human characters aren't meant to be 1:1 human (and often aren't despite themselves).

I think anime in particular has to deal with very human elements to qualify, but this varies person to person. I think of anime as a noun/adjective concerning a stylization of characters' models based on a lineage of Japanese animation tradition. So you can have "American anime," or "Canadian anime," or whatever if it's trying to ape the style. Secondly, I think of anime as an adjective concerning a laundry list of storytelling tropes found most prominently or made popular in Japanese animation. This can be anything from subject matter, to blocking, to even dialogue patterns (I can guarantee you many more Japanese games/shows mention "rendezvous points" than Western ones, for instance - a small but very anime thing to do in abundance). Thirdly, and most formally, I think of anime as a noun that refers strictly to an animated work that comes out of Japan.

That said, I think RE5 Chris punching boulders is very anime but I don't think his design is particularly. Not anymore than Gears of War characters are. There are certain things that might hint towards Japanese design sensibilities but that's a couple steps removed from being "anime." I don't think it's worth agonizing over if someone thinks he looks anime though.

Last edited:

Brix

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, I wasn't weighing in on that convo. Just that animated human characters aren't meant to be 1:1 human (and often aren't despite themselves).

I think anime in particular has to deal with very human elements to qualify, but this varies person to person. I think of anime as a noun/adjective concerning a stylization of characters' models based on a lineage of Japanese animation tradition. So you can have "American anime," or "Canadian anime," or whatever if it's trying to ape the style. Secondly, I think of anime as an adjective concerning a laundry list of storytelling tropes found most prominently or made popular in Japanese animation. This can be anything from subject matter, to blocking, to even dialogue patterns (I can guarantee you many more Japanese games/shows mention "rendezvous points" than Western ones, for instance - a small but very anime thing to do in abundance). Thirdly, and most formally, I think of anime as a noun that refers strictly to an animated work that comes out of Japan.

That said, I think RE5 Chris punching boulders is very anime but I don't think his design is particularly. Not anymore than Gears of War characters are.
Thanks for the detailed explanation. The reason why I get a little irritated is that I always define anime as something like this

Or my avatar for an example. Like the artsyle. When people call stuff like Dark souls anime or Chris's large arms anime it doesn't make sense to me. It's like saying the large dudes in gears of war are anime characters or Kratos during this boss fight

I watch a lot of anime so it always rubs me the wrong way when people call Stylized art anime. Like the characters in games can do something that's unrealistic (anime like feats of strength) but that isn't anime to me.

A fight like this isn't anime to me because it's trying to be realistic.

Pharaoh

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
The real new here is that they redesigned Chris. Thank the gods because the RE7 design is pure garbage. Hopefully they nail it this time.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
At the risk of getting off topic, I would say the fight in Man of Steel was fairly anime to me. I remember thinking at the time that it was like a live action DBZ fight (and probably my favorite part of the movie). But the difference between sometimes-CGI figures duking it out like in Man of Steel and fully animated figures duking it out is the former is attempting to blend itself into the live action and pass itself off as live action. Sucker Punch and Versus rang that way to me too.

Last edited:

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Chris-redfield-evolution.jpg

Sure, this is all the same guy, why not completely morph him again

Chris Redfield, master of disguise

Radium217

Banned
Oct 31, 2019
On the one hand I'm tired of the slow drip feed but on the other I'm really excited for these next gen floodgates to open. June is going to be crazy.

SlasherMcGirk

Oct 27, 2017
Cincinnati
The connections to the lore excite me a lot as a big fan of it. I love me my Chris too but I'm scared and excited to see him get real development. He's RE's Captain America and he might get his damn Hail Hydra moment. I love his comic booky goody too shoes hero man persona but the dude has seen some shit and too many people have died under his watch the punished route and lapse of moral judgement makes a lot of sense. I'm very excited for the unknown but we have been duped many times before as he his the face of the series, Rev1 reveal trailer and RE6 Chris vs Leon. I am a big fan of third person classic RE and even love third person action RE and hate FPS RE but I am intrigued. Especially it being a former Rev game, gives me the idea that it's a very experimental idea. I'm glad we are getting something NEW though. I love the REmakes but I don't want or need the entire series remade. The idea of RE4 being remade makes me groan cause it's so unnecessary. RE4 holds up fine and we just had two remakes. I could spend my whole life in Raccoon City but I'm ready for some progression.

rapid32.5

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Is it gonna be a crossgen game? I'm afraid old hardware will limit Capcom's new ideas. RE7 texture loading when you quickly rotate the camera showed its age.

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
Carlos was a hunk so clearly the RE Engine ain't the issue. Chris going back to his true hunk form is exactly what we need.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
RE best horror was when it was realistic and based on more real world stuff. It's the realism and proximity to reality that makes them disturbing.

Too many blobs with tenticles these days. 1 giant spider would outdo them all.

Ser_Kafka

Mar 23, 2020
I love the physiological horror aspect in games. That seems to be a trend for horror now. Can't wait to see more of this. I bought RE7 on PC and PS4. One of the gens best horror game's.

Psychological horror is the only kind of horror that unnerves you and stays with you. Everything else is flash in the pan stuff. Which is still effective, but nowhere near as satisfying.

AdaWong

Nov 1, 2017
Raccoon City
Thanks for giving so many details Dusk, I really appreciate it. RE is very special to me and still my favorite gaming IP.

2 questions. I don't know if you can reveal too much but is re8 more action oriented like RE3 remake or does it have a stronger emphasis on survival horror like RE7/RE2 Remake?

Do you think Capcom will ever make an RE game where Ada Wong is the main protagonist? I feel she deserves it, she's a very interesting character.

Thanks again.

I will have my own spin-off series. I'm in talks with CAPCOM leads about filming that soon, but covid stuff has halted production for now.

J.Devesh

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Actually I do have something to say to this, and the answer is yes they will. By quite a bit actually. I don't want to word it like this as people can easily take this the wrong way, Rev 3 was in development before RE4 Remake even existed, but they have used RE8 to experiment with a few small ideas for RE4 Remake, and one area is hit reaction. Though what appears here won't specifically be the same as hit reaction in RE4 Remake as ultimately they go with what works for gameplay style, but I do know making the enemies have visible feedback from being shot was a focus for part of development.
No hope for a RE Code Veronica Remake, right?

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think Dusk said a while back the teams all moved on months ago, so no.

I'm gonna assume the survey was to gauge what fans want going forward, changes to a game that already wrapped development.
Survey was a terrible idea, basically got a huge amount of fans just tell them how to fix RE3R and now if they don't do it leave them even more annoyed that they asked and then did nothing.