• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Looking forward to it, hopefully it doesn't crawl up its own ass and becomes self serious though. 4/7 (the latter less so but still) work really well on a story front because they wink to the camera at the absurdity of what's happening in the game.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
After HL: Alyx, on current PC VR Hardware, I'm really really hoping Capcom can release RE8 on PC with VR support.
It will be amazingly terrifying.
To be fair what Alyx does is eons removed from what RE7 did and I assume it will be the same for 8. One is designed for VR the other has VR added on.

Oct 25, 2017
It shouldn't, but even if they cut some of the darkest stuff in the game, it'll still be a dark as fuck game. I guess the least spoilery thing I can say is for example Chris
did something actually horrible and fucked up with full intent to do it, and its quite something.
But trust me, this is just the tip of the iceberg here.

Yeah, I don't mind darker corners; I mean, RE7 had some really gross stuff going on in it, and was definitely kind of edgy. But, it also had a bit of humor to go along with it and seemed at least somewhat aware of its crazier components. As long as they still lean into that, I'm more than happy with whatever envelopes they want to push in terms of violence or story beats.

Thanks for the answer. It makes me feel a bit better.

NDA-Man

Mar 23, 2020
It shouldn't, but even if they cut some of the darkest stuff in the game, it'll still be a dark as fuck game. I guess the least spoilery thing I can say is for example Chris
did something actually horrible and fucked up with full intent to do it, and its quite something.

Hm...
-Killed/Attempted to Kill Pregnant Mia.
-Killed/Attempted to Kill Ethan's kid.
-Killed/Attempted to Kill Jill Valentine
-Found out there's a cure for this particular problem, doesn't care and wants to/does kill everyone who could be saved.
Am I close on any of these?

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Hm...
-Found out there's a cure for this particular problem, doesn't care and wants to/does kill everyone who could be saved.
NDA-Man

fetus8

May 21, 2018
Colorado
To be fair what Alyx does is eons removed from what RE7 did and I assume it will be the same for 8. One is designed for VR the other has VR added on.

Totally understandable, but the image quality with say a HTC Vive Pro or Index is eons above the PSVR. Playing RE7 on PSVR, was still a great experience, only hampered by it's hardware and image quality. I wanna see RE Engine in VR with a better quality screen.

Buzzth

Jan 15, 2018
Japan
Sounds awesome but I struggle to put my faith in it because of the way they handled RE3 Remake's gore. It was just a step down in all directions after the insanity that was RE2.

Kunjiru

Apr 14, 2020
Man, I'm excited about it from the things we're getting. Are they going to announce it this year?

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Hm...
I'll say this, its very likely to be in the game's reveal trailer and is an event that sets the events of this game off.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah fuck this game I'm out. Why Capcom wants to keep ruining Chris I have no fucking clue.

Appreciate the details.

Rei no Otaku

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Cranston RI
Meh. Call me when they have an entirely new third person RE game with cool monsters.
Probably out if it has nothing on old Resident Evil story and is just another Ethan horror flick to be honest. Also if there's no mercenaries even less reason to be interested.
Same. RE7 was such a huge disappointment that I couldn't care less about this. Wake me up when the next 3rd person game comes out.

NDA-Man

Mar 23, 2020

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
If Chris takes a heel turn I hope it's actually justified well in the story (particularly since it'd be easy to tie it to long-term stress and strain from fighting bioweapons for decades). I kind of felt like it'd be easy to follow RE6 with that kind of story (especially since Chris's story in RE6 basically boils down to "he fails a lot and gets people killed"), but RE7/Not A Hero kind of had him back to pretty standard Chris (er, character-wise, not his face). But I'm not opposed to it as a concept.

(Probably helps that Chris is my least favorite of the Big 4, and this would be an interesting turn since Capcom still insists on him being front and center compared to the other three)

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds awesome but I struggle to put my faith in it because of the way they handled RE3 Remake's gore. It was just a step down in all directions after the insanity that was RE2.
If you're worried about gore, don't be.
Man, I'm excited about it from the things we're getting. Are they going to announce it this year?
Yes, as they want to release the game early 2021.
Yeah fuck this game I'm out. Why Capcom wants to keep ruining Chris I have no fucking clue.

Appreciate the details.
I suggest to be open minded, but I susprct it'll be divisive for a few reasons.

May 7, 2020
So when he says redesigned Chris does that mean the one from RE7 or another version of him?

would prefer if they just kept the RE7 model, as he resembles an actual human being that could actually exist IRL.

NDA-Man

Mar 23, 2020
Just poking fun that it seemed like a bold question given your name, provided NDA here means non-disclosure agreement.

Heh. Point. I know the acronym was non-disclosure agreement, and should've realized that implication. Sorry.

In my case, the username refers to a school I attended, since resetera requires a school or business e-mail.

Kunjiru

Apr 14, 2020
Btw does Dusk know why they decided to go with Ethan as a main protagonist? He had basically no character traits in RE7. Are they going to make him a full fledged hero now?

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you're worried about gore, don't be.

Yes, as they want to release the game early 2021.

I suggest to be open minded, but I susprct it'll be divisive for a few reasons.
Chris is my favorite RE character and that ties into my interpretation of RE as a pulpy horror comic.

If they try and turn my favorite hunk into some dumb vigilante who does horrible shit then I got no interest in what they're selling.

Maybe if it wasn't first person I could have worked through it, but both of those together? Yeah no thanks.

Again not to sound ungrateful for the info that's just my take from it.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Super excited for a true sequel to 7. RE7 is my favorite RE game this gen, even over the remakes

NDA-Man

Mar 23, 2020
Btw does Dusk know why they decided to go with Ethan as a main protagonist? He had basically no character traits in RE7. Are they going to make him a full fledged hero now?

With VII, I think it was they wanted a clean break from "Fought a tentacle monster in a volcano" or "Argued with a Tyrannosaur over who Ada's boyfriend was", so they went with a (very bland) everyman. They dialed things back where an asshole with a chainsaw was a boss (who you fought, with a chainsaw, granted), when they were recurring mooks in the past few main games, so they had to dial back the protagonist. They should've added more flavor, but a lot of RE characters didn't have a ton of well... character in their first appearance.

Hopefully they can expand on him a little more in this one.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So when he says redesigned Chris does that mean the one from RE7 or another version of him?

would prefer if they just kept the RE7 model, as he resembles an actual human being that could actually exist IRL.
Oh yeah gotta protect the precious realism in a game where you fight psychic mold controlling ring girl and redneck Jigsaw.

They made Chris boring and sucked any charm the character had. The least they could do is fix that garbage.

May 7, 2020
Oh yeah gotta protect the precious realism in a game where you fight psychic mold controlling ring girl and redneck Jigsaw.

They made Chris boring and sucked any charm the character had. The least they could do is fix that garbage.
Well yea. There's crazy monsters and all kinds of mad shit in RE but as far as I know Chris isn't infected with any superhuman virus so should probably still resemble a human somewhat.

roid rage Chris is the worst character design in the entire series, and that is saying a LOT.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Chris is my favorite RE character and that ties into my interpretation of RE as a pulpy horror comic.

If they try and turn my favorite hunk into some dumb vigilante who does horrible shit then I got no interest in what they're selling.

Maybe if it wasn't first person I could have worked through it, but both of those together? Yeah no thanks.

Again not to sound ungrateful for the info that's just my take from it.
My suggestion still is to keep an open mind.

Am I right in suspecting it'll be announced at Sony's showcase? Blink twice if I'm right lol
No idea when the reveal is actually, but it was planned for E3 before COVID-19 hit.
They are redesigning Chris from RE7?
Yes, he'll be RE7 Chris but the model updated to be a bit beefier, his face more rugged and more closely resembling RE5/RE6 Chris.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I like the idea of Punished Chris lol. Even though it kinda felt like that in RE6.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well yea. There's crazy monsters and all kinds of mad shit in RE but as far as I know Chris isn't infected with any superhuman virus so should probably still resemble a human somewhat.
How doesn't he? And even if you have to ruin Chris why doesn't he look anything like any of his previous designs? Everyone else in the RE engine still looks close enough but with Chris it's like Capcom listened to all the people who called him boring and deiced to go "oh you think THAT'S boring?"

Lord I fucking hate RE7 Chris with every fiber of my being. Why the fuck did they not keep Roger Craig Smith!?!

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Just have some cool variety in enemy design. I want to move on from RE7's meh molded design, and RE2R and RE3R were course a improvement.

May 7, 2020
How doesn't he? And even if you have to ruin Chris why doesn't he look anything like any of his previous designs? Everyone else in the RE engine still looks close enough but with Chris it's like Capcom listened to all the people who called him boring and deiced to go "oh you think THAT'S boring?"

Lord I fucking hate RE7 Chris with every fiber of my being. Why the fuck did they not keep Roger Craig Smith!?!
He looks like a walking tree trunk, character model was absurd. Personally Im not mad about the RE7 version, I want the REmake version of him back, but the RE7 model is far preferable to that RE5/RE6 abomination

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
For enemy talk, I'm not saying anything new here as all of this was in the Ambassador demo, but even just in that there were:
-Zombies, they're a new type of zombie though.
-Beastmen, the werewolf things people mention.
-Witch, a stalker who's really tall with an obscured face, laughs a lot and does things with insects.
-Juggernaut, its this burly chained up dude with a staff.

And I can tell you there's more than these four enemies in the game and the zombies and Beastmen have some variety to them.