• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
I mean, divisive to internet nerds, I guess, but RE7 was very well received and I think is like the third or fourth best selling game in the franchise now right. I mean, I guess it'll be divisive to the people who already don't like 7, but I mean, that's just obvious.

A game that is best selling definitely doesn't preclude it from being controversial or divisive, or even generally reviewing well. RE6 sold better than 7 (and is the second best selling game in the series) and is obviously extremely divisive. MGS2 is the second best selling game in that series, (second only to MGS5 IIRC), and reviewed spectacularly, but there's no doubt about that game's controversy and footprint on its franchise.

Resident Evil of course has history with stalker enemies, but those characters have lots of fans and detractors (so much so that RE7 was compared to Outlast and Amnesia for months). RE has also only dabbled in occult subject matter and imagery very superficially; mostly in RE4 but with virtually no depth except for it informing the enemy designs, and occasionally in other games to provide some spooky locales (the Marguerite section of RE7, some of the Alex stuff in Rev2, Lisa's lair in REmake), so if RE8 is really putting a greater focus on occult themes then that would also be a pretty big departure. If the report of "werewolves" is accurate then that's also quite unique for RE, but comparatively reasonable to meat transformers Simmons in 6.

Last edited:

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
Yes yes, maybe it starts with beasts and werewolf like enemies, and then OH FUCK HOW MANY EYES ARE IN THAT THING?

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Exploration has a much bigger role this time, but differently than past Resident Evils. Most of the game is outdoors for example.
Is the level design continuous? I mean is the game one giant level that the players goes through without jarring segmentations? One of the things I hated most about the RE3 remake was precisely that: the levels felt segmented and did not fit together at all.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I don't think PSVR2 will be out by the time this releases, but man, that will be an experience to look forward to.

OP
OP
Star-Lord

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
Some of the most divisive stuff is still in and out at this stage of development, the story is seeing some big changes right now from the transition from Rev 3 to RE8, but I'll say this now, there's some real shit in this game even if the most shocking stuff doesn't end up in the final.
Do you think after the game comes out will you expand on what was cut or some of the shocking stuff that was cut?

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
A game that is best selling definitely doesn't preclude it from being controversial or divisive, or even generally reviewing well. RE6 sold better than 7 (and is the second best selling game in the series) and is obviously extremely divisive. MGS2 is the second best selling game in that series, (second only to MGS5 IIRC), and reviewed spectacularly, but there's no doubt about that game's controversy and footprint on its franchise.

Yeah, but again, that brings us around to 'divisive to who.' I mean, I guess if we're just talking about forum-goers like the people posting here, I guess it'll be very divisive, since almost everything is very divisive. People get divisive about the color of costumes and hair and all kinds of stupid shit. If that's all Dusk is talking about, that Twitter and ERA are going to be mad, okay. I mean, that is his main audience I guess, so I get talking in those limited terms.

But that wasn't even really my point anyway. What I was saying is we keep hearing about how 'divisive' this is going to be, but then when we get any details it just feels like a pretty obvious continuation of 7. Like nothing of these leaks seemed all that drastic from the base work we got in 7. So, I don't know, maybe I just am thinking in broader terms than just internet forum posters, but I am not seeing the 'divisive' material this supposedly has that's so different than the 9,000 other reiterations of this franchise.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Is the level design continuous? I mean is the game one giant level that the players goes through without jarring segmentations? One of the things I hated most about the RE3 remake was precisely that: the levels felt segmented and did not fit together at all.
Different teams, but a little of collumn A and B. Keep in mind this game was originally a Revelations game, there's more than one playable character though Ethan is the main character.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This is all very exciting to me. Thanks, Dusk.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope they keep to monsters being monsters and not crazy humans!!! ooohhhh! Evil villagers/soldiers!

Different teams, but a little of collumn A and B. Keep in mind this game was originally a Revelations game, there's more than one playable character though Ethan is the main character.

Rev 2 was not... good. Ill wait and see. 7 was great though,

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Do you think after the game comes out will you expand on what was cut or some of the shocking stuff that was cut?
Absolutely, I have a lot to share and this game's development and changes are utterly fascinating and worthwhile. There's been huge changes to it during development.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The game is made by different teams again? That's disappointing to hear. I really don't want another case of RE3.

ASilentProtagonist

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a rumor for where this will show up? I can easily see Sony going for the double whammy at their PS5 event, Silent Hill + Resident Evil 8.

NDA-Man

Mar 23, 2020

Hm... the obvious alternate PC would be Chris. Which would be boring. I really want to see Jill again, but I'm fairly sure that's not gonna happen. Could it be Tofu?

Although Mia was playable for a little in VII, so it might be her.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
RE7 was already crazy with all those dynamic wounds. Wonder if Ethan is going to lose some limbs again, lol (would have honestly loved it if they had made that a gameplay system)

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
Exploration has a much bigger role this time, but differently than past Resident Evils. Most of the game is outdoors for example.

That could be very scary if done right. Are we talking forest like area? That would be amazing, and should cover that Raccoon Forest itch. :3

Resident Evil of course has history with stalker enemies, but those characters have lots of fans and detractors (so much so that RE7 was compared to Outlast and Amnesia for months). RE has also only dabbled in occult subject matter and imagery very superficially; mostly in RE4 but with virtually no depth except for it informing the enemy designs, and occasionally in other games to provide some spooky locales (the Marguerite section of RE7, some of the Alex stuff in Rev2, Lisa's lair in REmake), so if RE8 is really putting a greater focus on occult themes then that would also be a pretty big departure. If the report of "werewolves" is accurate then that's also quite unique for RE, but comparatively reasonable to meat transformers Simmons in 6.
To be fair, critical, and fan reception was very poor. RE6 is the worst reviewed RE main game in the franchise if I'm not mistaken.

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Me reading those tweets:

40o5uv.jpg

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Can you tell us something abt the graphical quality?
I don't know much outside of them updating character models and textures after it was determined to be RE8 again. It's still a RE Engine game and probably looks good, but there's a serious chance there may be more graphical disparity between elements of the game with some of it looking very good and some of it looking okay, especially also with VR in mind and stuff where hitting a constant 60fps is more important than fidelity.

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm. I was hoping the game wouldn't take itself *super* seriously given werewolves, witches, and what-have-yous running around -- hopefully "dark" doesn't necessarily translate to completely humorless.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Hmm. I was hoping the game wouldn't take itself *super* seriously given werewolves, witches, and what-have-yous running around -- hopefully "dark" doesn't necessarily translate to completely humorless.

Yeah, dark is so vague I don't know why people are taking to be serious. Humor can be dark. The environment could be dark lol. Could mean damn near anything

Oct 25, 2017
Are wolves and castles still on the table? Or was that debunked?

Personally I hope they don't go too creepy or gross. It was always comforting in resident evil when you get further into the game and see the science behind what's going on and you know every problem can be solved by an anti virus serum or something. Lol. Maybe people don't like that, but I enjoy how re games start as scary mysteries and then turn into explainable phenomenon, with the gameplay loop generally following as the character becomes more confident and competent.

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
I always worry in the periods prior to new RE announcements that they'll change things too much, especially with how the rumors are going for this one. On the other hand, the recent string of releases for the franchise (RE Rev 2, RE7, RE2R, RE3R) is one of the strongest sustained periods the franchise has ever had, and each one of them has felt "RE" to me, occasionally in different ways. So I guess I should just trust Capcom for now. :P

Hm... the obvious alternate PC would be Chris. Which would be boring. I really want to see Jill again, but I'm fairly sure that's not gonna happen. Could it be Tofu?

Although Mia was playable for a little in VII, so it might be her.

Well, if it was indeed Rev 3 to begin with, it might be a little more than that. Character swaps in standard RE games (say, RE7, and RE2 and RE3, originals and remakes) tend to be your "helper" characters who are in the same place and situation as you. Rev 1 and 2 had swaps in completely different places and across different time periods, particularly since the games followed a light "episodic" model. If Ethan is in a village area for the whole game, we could be swapping to people in different places that happen to be tied to the same plot. Still, just speculation. It could easily just be Ethan in this particular building then Chris down the street a bit.

a Question

Oct 28, 2017
Dusk Golem just a question that can be answered with personal opinion then insight info but wouldnt you consider that realising RE4R which is campy/cheese/fun after RE8 being really serious and more grotesque could be a bit jarring?

Especially sine as you say RE8 will devise fans, is kinda a weird move.

Caiops

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I prefer third person but RE7 was really amazing, count me in.

Dusk Golem Do you know if Revelations 3 is still being worked on? Really wanna see more about Nathalia.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
It shouldn't, but even if they cut some of the darkest stuff in the game, it'll still be a dark as fuck game. I guess the least spoilery thing I can say is for example Chris
did something actually horrible and fucked up with full intent to do it, and its quite something.
But trust me, this is just the tip of the iceberg here.

Sklaary

Mar 21, 2020
I don't know much outside of them updating character models and textures after it was determined to be RE8 again. It's still a RE Engine game and probably looks good, but there's a serious chance there may be more graphical disparity between elements of the game with some of it looking very good and some of it looking okay, especially also with VR in mind and stuff where hitting a constant 60fps is more important than fidelity.
Thanks for the information 🙏
what is your guess? Do we hear/see something official in May ?

OP
OP
Star-Lord

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
It shouldn't, but even if they cut some of the darkest stuff in the game, it'll still be a dark as fuck game. I guess the least spoilery thing I can say is for example Chris
did something actually horrible and fucked up with full intent to do it, and its quite something.
But trust me, this is just the tip of the iceberg here.
Not my boy.... what has he become!