• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jesb

Banned
Feb 14, 2018
I love the physiological horror aspect in games. That seems to be a trend for horror now. Can't wait to see more of this. I bought RE7 on PC and PS4. One of the gens best horror game's.

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
Fucking LOVE it. Honestly, I think RE7 is my favorite in the series. Absolutely floored me and legit first half of the game was one of the scariest games I've every played. Bring it on.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
Probably out if it has nothing on old Resident Evil story and is just another Ethan horror flick to be honest. Also if there's no mercenaries even less reason to be interested.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
I feel like everyone had that same, 'Oh, I got it's not too serious and blah blah' around the time that 7 came out, and it was fine. If anything, 7 is one of the goofiest games in the whole series. They know what works, so it's nothing to worry about.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
I'll tease this here, not tentacles, a lot more rot and cult/canine imagery going on.

All you had to say was "cult" and you had me on board.

BTW Dusk, I don't want to come off as petulant or accusing, but if you're comfortable doing so and available to answer, what did happen with RE3? Before release, you said the Clock Tower was definitely in and that the team knew how important it was to RE3 fans. The game itself even hints/teases it repeatedly but the way Jill gets dragged out of it entrance after the boss fight makes it feel like an extremely late cut during development. Which is strange since the development was reportedly smooth compared to RE2 remake but RE3 still feels like a significantly lesser game.

Oct 24, 2019
I played through all of RE7 in VR in 2 sittings, and it was a magical experience. Seriously one of my favorite, most enthralling game experiences I've ever.

Being *in* that world made everything so much more terrifying, but also so much more captivating.

Bring on RE8 in VR, I can't fucking wait

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Probably out if it has nothing on old Resident Evil story and is just another Ethan horror flick to be honest. Also if there's no mercenaries even less reason to be interested.
It has a lot to do with Resident Evil lore actually. If you're a long time lore follower, this game has more lore and story connections than it appears to.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
All you had to say was "cult" and you had me on board.

BTW Dusk, I don't want to come off as petulant or accusing, but if you're comfortable doing so and available to answer, what did happen with RE3? Before release, you said the Clock Tower was definitely in and that the team knew how important it was to RE3 fans. The game itself even hints/teases it repeatedly but the way Jill gets dragged out of it entrance after the boss fight makes it feel like an extremely late cut during development. Which is strange since the development was reportedly smooth compared to RE2 remake but RE3 still feels like a significantly lesser game.
Probably just regular development stuff, I know the Clock Tower was planned in early development but I think the vision changed over time. Its also worth mentioning different parts of RE3 were made by different teams, work divided between Capcom Div 1, M2, etc.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
If they are dealing with grotesque beast/werewolf imagery they have a tall mountain to climb after Bloodborne, IMO. Creature designs in that game were at both times disgusting and awesome.

Really looking forward to seeing this.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like everyone had that same, 'Oh, I got it's not too serious and blah blah' around the time that 7 came out, and it was fine. If anything, 7 is one of the goofiest games in the whole series. They know what works, so it's nothing to worry about.
I feel like to some people, anything short of suplexing makes it "too serious".

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
I'll tease this here, not tentacles, a lot more rot and cult/canine imagery going on.
A09J70E.gif

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
I still wonder what this will be because nothing we've heard about so far really seems all that divisive. Although I guess the way the game is structured could play a role in it.

If I had to guess, I'm thinking it'll be the way it portrays existing RE characters (one rumor included something about Chris being a villain to Ethan and Mia) and emphasis on stalking characters and hallucinations.

Probably just regular de elopment stuff, I know the Clock Tower was planned in early development but I think the vision changed over time. Its also worth mentioning different parts of RE3 were made by different teams, work divided between Capcom Div 1, M2, etc.

Understood. Thanks for answering and providing your insight as always Dusk!

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
I still wonder what this will be because nothing we've heard about so far really seems all that divisive. Although I guess the way the game is structured could play a role in it.

Honestly, it just feels like hype work to me, if I'm being honest. Like we keep hearing about how this game is allegedly so different and will divide people and stuff, but then whenever anything is described it basically just seems like...the same kind of stuff that happened in 7 mixed with a lot of stuff we've seen at various points in the franchise.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
If I had to guess, I'm thinking it'll be the way it portrays existing RE characters (one rumor included something about Chris being a villain to Ethan and Mia) and emphasis on stalking characters and hallucinations.

None of that is new, though. Chris has been portrayed as a villain in various marketing for previous games, and no one is going to believe he's a villain anyway. Stalkers have been a common thing through the franchise. 7 and Rev2 had the hallucinations and all of that. The words being said don't really match what we 'know.'

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
Honestly, it just feels like hype work to me, if I'm being honest. Like we keep hearing about how this game is allegedly so different and will divide people and stuff, but then whenever anything is described it basically just seems like...the same kind of stuff that happened in 7 mixed with a lot of stuff we've seen at various points in the franchise.

Even "same stuff in 7" is still pretty reasonable grounds to determine it'll be divisive since 7 was already pretty divisive. Plus, going even harder into a 7-esque direction is a major shakeup given how successful RE2 was and how much goodwill that game secured.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
Dusk Golem

Will we have a large, less linear area to play around?

I'm hoping for a larger police department like building with lots of way to get around areas.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Ethan about to chop off his both hands and replace them with chainsaws.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Some of the most divisive stuff is still in and out at this stage of development, the story is seeing some big changes right now from the transition from Rev 3 to RE8, but I'll say this now, there's some real shit in this game even if the most shocking stuff doesn't end up in the final.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Even "same stuff in 7" is still pretty reasonable grounds to determine it'll be divisive since 7 was already pretty divisive. Plus, going even harder into a 7-esque direction is a major shakeup given how successful RE2 was and how much goodwill that game secured.

I mean, divisive to internet nerds, I guess, but RE7 was very well received and I think is like the third or fourth best selling game in the franchise now right. I mean, I guess it'll be divisive to the people who already don't like 7, but I mean, that's just obvious.

NDA-Man

Mar 23, 2020
I don't mean to be a dick, but part of me is kinda cynically thinking that the reason the RE4 remake is rumored is... they've already generated village and castle assets for RE8, so it'd be easier to do 4 than CV.

That said, I'm still hype as hell for both games. 'I'm interested in the series going forward, and the things I'm hearing are very interesting. Ethan being a father's has me curious, because Mia spent years mold-infected, and the whole arc of VII was Evie trying to brutalize people into being her family.

My guess for the divisive stuff:
Chris dies/you kill Chris.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
This is really exciting I really enjoyed what RE7 did and this sounds like further in that kind of direction.