• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ethan sucks and werewolves have never been scary so im still yikes on this

everything else sounds neat, loved the hallucinations in re7s demo

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Is this or is this not being developed by Division 1? Because you said that Division 1 people played it and liked it.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Is this or is this not being developed by Division 1? Because you said that Division 1 people played it and liked it.
It's being made by Division 1, but Division 1 has multiple teams within it (though let me clarify these aren't solid teams, the exact people switch and go, like after RE7 some people went on to work on RE7's DLC, some people went on to work on RE2, some on RE3, some on Rev 3). As Revelations 3, the core team behind this weren't the ones working on RE2 or RE3 at the time (as all three of these games were being worked on simultaneously). That said, I do know after the project became RE8 more people were put onto the project and that includes people from the RE2 team to help it become RE8 more fully.

Spinky

Oct 25, 2017
London
There's actually three "stalkers" in RE8
EUunFv9XQAA_03j

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
Given that this is a first person game, I think more people might've been pissed if this thing was called "Revelations 3" than RE8.

Those Revelations games are a pretty specific kind of thing now.

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds fantastic. As with Final Fantasy series and as much as direction changes divide the fanbase, this is how long running franchises survive; reinvention. Sounds like this will have the polish and budget dedicated to it now that the Rev games have mainly deserved. Both games are flawed but have taken risks that have paid off at times (especially in Rev 2). This will also allow this game to be looked at as important and not ignored because it is a 'side title'.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Given that this is a first person game, I think more people might've been pissed if this thing was called "Revelations 3" than RE8.

Those Revelations games are a pretty specific kind of thing now.

I just hope we're still getting a Revelations 3. I very much enjoyed the narrative they were building towards and they were a nice excuse to bring back characters that hadn't been in the spotlight for a while.

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
Leon went from a rookie cop on his first day of the job in re2 to knife fighting and all the crazy re4 shit.

Chris started off a standard stars officer, to punching a giant boulder in a volcano.
I mean you just described Leon as well, went from a no experience rookie cop to roundhouse kicking heads so fast they exploded

I'm not talking about skills, I'm talking about him being a civilian.

Both Chris and and Leon got promoted or whatever, so them being recruted to deal with this kind of shit is ok

But Ethan was a civilian. And now he is working with Chris? See what I mean?

Claire was a badass in RE 2, but it's not like she suddenly got promoted to a squad at the end of RE 2

Imagine being a civilian surviving a terrorist attack and being invited to be part of the SWAT team because of it. That's why it's ridiculous.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
On one hand, I'm sad to hear that Revelations 3 isn't specifically happening. I LOVED Revelations 2. It felt like a great return to the "old" Resident Evil style of gameplay.

On the other hand, I'm happy that they're doing the first-person thing again and mixing it up a bit. I really liked RE7. I am also super down for some of that occult stuff. If they can do some awesome mind fuckery, I'm totally in for that.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Them making a superhero out of Ethan is hilarious

Dude went on a mission to save his girlfriend, with no training at all, and now he is killing monsters with Chris freaking Redfield?

After 2 numbered remakes using third person camera with zombies, we are going back to mold monsters and occultism in first person will be jarring af

Resident Evil is one crazy, crazy series
To be fair, half the RE protagonists are normal people who are thrust into terrible situations and become zombie killing badasses. Sure, Jill and Chris were STARS super-cops, but Claire was a college student and Leon was a rookie beat cop with literally 0 experience. So Ethan becoming a badass after one game is not only within the realm of possibility for the series, it's the norm. It's exactly what happened with both Leon and Claire.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
First person? Ethan? and replacing Rebecca for him?!

giphy.gif
Correction, Ethan and Rebecca were both in Revelations 3 (along with Chris). I do not know Ethan's status right now, but I know Rebecca got cut, and Ethan and Chris were "changed" (originally I just heard all three of them got changed, but I got confirmation at least Rebecca got cut). I don't know the status of the other two, for now it's best to assume this info is like finding out HUNK was originally the protagonist of RE3, it's interesting to know but right now to see what shakes out in the final RE8 game character-wise.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
Don't mind the focus on the occult or The Who can you trust angle. Not a fan of first person though. I'll play it but it's not my RE preference

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Both Chris and and Leon got promoted or whatever, so them being recruted to deal with this kind of shit is ok

Claire was a badass in RE 2, but it's not like she suddenly got promoted to a squad at the end of RE 2

Imagine being a civilian surviving a terrorist attack and being invited to be part of the SWAT team because of it. That's why it's ridiculous.
Not man it's exactly the same as Leon. Like, Leon was supposed to be the guy writing traffic tickets. One game later he is a one man army sent in to rescue the president's daughter from terrorists. How is that any different than Ethan?

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
To be fair, half the RE protagonists are normal people who are thrust into terrible situations and become zombie killing badasses. Sure, Jill and Chris were STARS super-cops, but Claire was a college student and Leon was a rookie beat cop with literally 0 experience. So Ethan becoming a badass after one game is not only within the realm of possibility for the series, it's the norm. It's exactly what happened with both Leon and Claire.
Again, I'M NOT TALKING ABOUT SKILLS

I'm talking about a civilian being invited to become part of Umbrella's SWAT team without ever being a cop

Claire wasnt invited to be a part of STARS at the end of RE 2

That's ridiculous.

Not man it's exactly the same as Leon. Like, Leon was supposed to be the guy writing traffic tickets. One game later he is a one man army sent in to rescue the president's daughter from terrorists. How is that any different than Ethan?

... Because Leon was a cop, so it makes sense that he gets promoted after surviving Racoon City.

Ethan was trying to save her girlfriend, wasn't a cop, and got invited to be part of Chris team

How can you really don't see the difference here?

Tttssd1972

May 24, 2019
As someone who is still a huge fan of RE7, I was still holding a sliver of hope they with move back to 3rd Person. But I'm always open to giving this franchise a chance. Just hope there is a better connection to the series to push the story along. RE7 didn't do much of anything in that regard

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
If it's first person it better have VR support again

Sep 14, 2018
Correction, Ethan and Rebecca were both in Revelations 3 (along with Chris). I do not know Ethan's status right now, but I know Rebecca got cut, and Ethan and Chris were "changed" (originally I just heard all three of them got changed, but I got confirmation at least Rebecca got cut). I don't know the status of the other two, for now it's best to assume this info is like finding out HUNK was originally the protagonist of RE3, it's interesting to know but right now to see what shakes out in the final RE8 game character-wise.
Ah, ok. Still not great to hear she had a chance and got cut :/

As long as mediocre unseen unknown man isn't favored over her for some dumb reason (being a male character), then I'm fine with it. I give them the benefit of the doubt after doing such a good job with Jill.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Again, I'M NOT TALKING ABOUT SKILLS

I'm talking about a civilian being invited to become part of Umbrella's SWAT team without ever being a cop

Claire wasnt invited to be a part of STARS at the end of RE 2

That's ridiculous.
But it's not. STARS was basically wiped out by the end of RE2/RE3, no one was getting invited to join STARS after that. Jill and Chris joined che BSAA and Claire went to work for TerraSave.

Claire went on a one woman rescue mission to save Chris after RE2...

Leon only joined a government special forces division because he was hunted down by the US government looking for people involved in the Raccoon City incident. They recruited him because of that experience, not because he was a cop. If they could've found Claire they would've recruited her too, but she was busy infiltrating Umbrella bases looking for Chris at the time and Leon didn't tell them about her.

Idk why you are getting so hung up on the idea that these fictional organizations dedicated to fighting bioweapons would recruit anyone who successfully survived one of these incidents. In the RE universe that's how virtually all of these characters were recruited.

Last edited:

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
As a fan of the Revelations series, I'm disappointed that they decided to make the third one first person as well (although since the game didn't start out as Rev 3, what was the original Rev 3? Was there one 🤔 ). I liked having different games in different styles. As long as RE9 isn't also first person then I guess that's fine. I like when they switch things up (Rebecca instead of Chris for the millionth time pls)

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Capcom really struggles to find a consistent lane for RE, huh? Switch from survival horror to aciton-horror, then veer into first person horror, space that out with Revelations as an action sub-series and the remakes as more "classic" survival horror games. But then start developing Revelations 3 as a first person horror game, and then say screw it, let's make it part of the mainline series?

Like, "it's too good to be a spin-off!" is a great problem to have, and I'm always interested in whatever weird twists they want to cook up. But I'd love to know what to expect sometimes!

so1337

Oct 28, 2017
The notion of a Relevations game starring Ethan and Chris (the two characters we see interact at the end of RE7) is baffling to me. Wouldn't that be the exact direction you'd take for a follow up to RE7? Or were they just not convinced that the game's quality was up to snuff for a mainline title so they relegated it to the Revelations sub series?

Azel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jul 12, 2018
edit: I'm dumb

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
This is the first I'm seeing this prototype. As much as I like RE4, this painting ghost boss looks cooler than anything in that game. So I'm all in for more stuff like this.
I highly recommend checking out RE4's dev history if you haven't. RE4 had multiple cancelled revisions like this and they're all super cool (one of them actually became Devil May Cry)

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The notion of a Relevations game starring Ethan and Chris (the two characters we see interact at the end of RE7) is baffling to me. Wouldn't that be the exact direction you'd take for a follow up to RE7? Or were they just not convinced that the game's quality was up to snuff for a mainline title so they relegated it to the Revelations sub series?
As opposed to having previous mainline title protagonists star in the other Revelations games? I don't see why it would matter.

polyrizumu

May 15, 2018
I was hoping the reintroduction of Jill with RE3make meant that RE8 would star Jill in a main/supporting role :( guess not.
I'm still just not sold on Ethan as a protagonist, he's Just Fine

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017

Your example doesn't really work though, a swat team probably would be interested in recruiting if this civilian survived an event that dozens of trained operatives trained specifically for this kind of event couldn't. ( all of Chris's team is wiped out) not only did he survive this event, he did so after having both an arm and a leg chopped off something he survived due to being infected himself, and yet despite this he kept going and even went as far as to synthesize a cure under immense pressure and probably racked up a b.o.w body count in the 40's, not to mention destroying a skyscraper sized monster single handedly... I dunno, seems pretty dang obvious to me why they would want to recruit him, combating bioweapons is their game and Ethan has a talent for it. In the internal logic of RE, it works and as I said initially, it's the same exact thing with Leon.

Last edited:

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany

Given what Golem said they probably didnt wanna go with the crazy departure in a mainline game at first.

On topic: I really liked Ethan but not that into Chris. Leon is still my favourite. But after RE7 I am open for p much anything.

so1337

Oct 28, 2017
As opposed to having previous mainline title protagonists star in the other Revelations games? I don't see why it would matter.
Ethan is a very unusual RE character that would've benefitted from being fleshed out in another mainline title. He's basically just some dude who gets mixed up in some bad shit when his wife (who happens to work for an evil corporation) goes missing. I think that's interesting and i wanted see where they would take that next.

Given what Golem said they probably didnt wanna go with the crazy departure in a mainline game at first.

On topic: I really liked Ethan but not that into Chris. Leon is still my favourite. But after RE7 I am open for p much anything.
I feel like the ending of RE7 perfectly eases you into a crazy departure. I mean the final boss is a little ghost girl that turns into an old lady that turns into a giant tree zombie. It wasn't exactly par for the course.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
... Because Leon was a cop, so it makes sense that he gets promoted after surviving Racoon City.

Ethan was trying to save her girlfriend, wasn't a cop, and got invited to be part of Chris team

How can you really don't see the difference here?

No, I can't see the difference. I can't even imagine what weird world you think a cop on literally his first day on the job immediately getting given a different job (cop-> super secret anti terrorist agent is not a promotion, the two jobs aren't related at all!) is a reasonable thing while a civilian who survived a similar situation at least being offered a similar job is crazy and unacceptable.

They're both practically the same exact scenario.

I've said in past threads I would have expected Ethan would just want to go home and live in peace after the events of 7 and end of Zoe, and I still think that, but you know, can't make a videogame sequel out of that I guess.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Disappointed that it's definitely first person. I enjoyed 7 and all but I was hoping it was a one-off. RE2 and RE4 are much more enjoyable for me through their perspectives, only just started 3 but I'm expecting that to be the same. I'll reserve full judgement for the reveal but RE4 remake might end up being the more interesting RE game in development for me after all, and I'm one of those weirdos who thinks that it's already perfect and doesn't need a remake. We'll see.

ThatNerdGUI

Prophet of Truth
Mar 19, 2020
The game description sounds very interesting. I loved 7 so I'm in on this one. I can't wait to see the reveal, hopefully it will be at one of the "E3" digital shows.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
So this was initially a Revelations game and it's first person? Are they going first person for every RE now?

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
At least Leon was a young (21), trained, physically fit cop that had room for growth.

Ethan was just a computer tech guy in his early 30s in RE7. He's just gonna turn into some kind of agent or soldier?

Surely you see the difference between the Leon and Ethan situations?