• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bunzy

Banned
Nov 1, 2018
If it's not vr then what a waste, but if it is then hell yeah automatic day one buy.

resident evil 7 in vr was the true Mario 64 moment

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
So then, Resident Evil... as Silent Hill.

OK!

I really don't have much of a problem with that, especially considering SH could not be more dead right now. You actually had me guarded when you said "huge departure". Thought we were about to get a RE kart racing game here.

EDIT: Also, "not being able to trust others". Like in The Thing? That sort of paranoia and suspicion?

Last edited:

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
Just give us VR and I'm so down. I loved 7! Always like third person a bit more but VR? Do it Capcom!

Antoo

May 1, 2019
Anyone know what Dusk has gotten right before? I'm not doubting his credibility; just curious.

Oct 30, 2017
Why are so many people surprised that Revelations 3 is a thing that (supposedly) existed?

what does "revelations" actually mean now that the remakes both use essentially the same formula? especially if revelations is uh, now first person?

the surprise for me is that a first-person game with ethan wouldn't just be called RE8 from the beginning.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Rebecca being replaced by Ethan is so funny to me. The second it turned into a real sequel the woman got booted out for a dude. Just another case of the RE women being sidelined.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
I like Revelations 2's story, I think I would've liked to have seen this game that testers liked over it being cut up an readopted. Whatever, I'm down for another first person game.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
😭

Do you have any idea if the game will release on current consoles like the PS4?
It's cross-gen, so yes.
Rebecca being replaced by Ethan is so funny to me. The second it turned into a real sequel the woman got booted out for a dude. Just another case of the RE women being sidelined.
For clarification on this, I know AS Rev 3 Ethan, Chris and Rebecca were all playable. I got confirmation Rebecca got the boot, but I also heard Ethan and Chris "changed". I have no idea what that means so for now just kinda' assume the characters could be anyone. It could still be Ethan and Chris, or maybe not. It's like a weird Schrodinger's box situation for me right now.

Zaki2407

May 6, 2018
Another first person RE? Well, I'm gonna skip it. I played RE7 and it was great. But unfortunately I couldn't finish it due to my "motion sickness" symptom if playing in first person view.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Loved RE7 and really enjoyed it being first person. The stuff about testing going so well to change it to a main line title has me excited. I am up for a wild ride in first person.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
''Hallucinations, Occultism, insanity and not being able to trust others''

Sounds like it's taking The Evil Within 1 approach?

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Capcom is cranking out Resident Evils like Square did with final fantasy in the 90s. I can't complain.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
''Hallucinations, Occultism, insanity and not being able to trust others''

Sounds like it's taking The Evil Within 1 approach?
There's a little bit of Evil Within, you'll especially see it in one of the main villains designs.

But trust me when I say it's going in a different direction. I'm holding my tongue here, but let's just say this game deals far more with myths and folklore than sci -fi stuff.

Oct 25, 2017
Nemesis in RE3 made me realize that we've been kind of starving for more interesting things to shoot at in RE for a while. Like, werewolves and shit sounds great to me -- different things in general sounds great, because while RE will always be known for zombies et. al., it gets *really* interesting when it's offering up more exotic and dangerous beasts. Nemesis is such a fun creature to be in the world with and RE3 proves that you can still get a scary experience even when you up the ante without tipping things over into RE4-style constant action.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
Call me crybaby but for f*ck's sake Capcom just make a new IP. It's not gonna kill you!

Stop trying to shoehorn everything into the RE universe, like seriously in what way is RE2, RE4, RE5, RE7 and now RE8 even possible in the same world?

Why risk having fans divided about first person vs third person when RE7 itself could've easily been a new IP? Why even shoehorn Chris and Umbrella into that, it's so inconsistent and honestly poorly written.

There's a little bit of Evil Within, you'll especially see it in one of the main villains designs.

But trust me when I say it's going in a different direction. I'm holding my tongue here, but let's just say this game deals far more with myths and folklore than sci -fi stuff.

Amazing stuff but all these RE8/Rev3 details would've sounded more exciting as a new IP
but now they have to shoehorn the RE universe into it while worried about bewildering the fan's expectation for a Resident Evil game

You're already taking risks anyway Capcom

JUST MAKE A NEW IP

I swear to god Capcom is obsessed with the brand while the team is desperately trying to innovate & break new grounds
Imagine making Bloodborne and Sekiro but the boss tells you they're all Dark Souls and the lore should be accommodated to DS universe

Last edited:

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Lmao! I reserve judgment. The original RE7 ideas all seemed loony for a bit before we got actual gameplay.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
Can't say I'm thrilled...but I guess I have time to prep my mind to be open to what the game is.

EroSennin

Banned
Mar 14, 2020
should be revealed within the next few months, it is first-person, and many purists are going to hate it because it's taking some serious departures in the story/enemies and the like. Hallucinations, Occultism, insanity and not being able to trust others are huge thematics of

Phew, I thought its "departure" was going to be some mmo/rpg shit. Hallucinations and insanity remind me of scrapped RE4 build, which is awesome. Now if they can throw in some eery atmospherical environments instead or boring mansions and get rid of pointless backtracking I would be all in. Afterall this game can't be worse than RE7.

Last edited:

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Phew, I thought its "deparute" was going to be some mmo/rpg shit. Hallucinations and insanity remind me of scrapped RE4 build, which is awesome. Now if they can throw in some eery atmospherical environments instead or boring mansions and get rid of pointless backtracking I would be all in. Afterall this game can't be worse than RE7.
The main settings of the game were in the previous leak before this one, which is a European Snowy Village and Castle. Those aren't the only locations in the game, but are the "primary" locations.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Stop trying to shoehorn everything into the RE universe, like seriously in what way is RE2, RE4, RE5, RE7 and now RE8 even possible in the same world?

RE4 isn't that weird or outlandish, really. Umbrella experimented with the use of parasites to control organisms, the most notable example obviously being Nemesis, so the Las Plagas are simply a naturally occurring one instead of a genetically engineered one.

It's the aesthetics of a Spanish village and castle that set it apart and that's totally fine. The bright oranges, browns and greys really stand out compared to the usual colours of Raccoon City.

RE7 I'll admit is a bit harder to justify but I actually liked how the game is basically saying "this is what Umbrella's competitors were making and it's so unreliable and dangerous that now you know why Umbrella basically had a monopoly on the BOW market".

They could certainly get away with a few more games like this before bringing Umbrella back and reintroducing lethally refined BOWs. The whole point of the creation of BOWs is they're meant to be marketable to militaries and private armies and, clearly, something like Eveline is far less valuable than a Tyrant.

You drop a Tyrant like Mr. X into the middle of an enemy encampment and it'll kill pretty much anything up to a small army by itself. What's Eveline gonna do in the same situation, get everyone high on mushrooms?

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
I hope they push the extra mile this time,they've released 4 great games in a row but there's always something with this RE Engine games that stops them from being excellent or something close to that.
It's an great engine when it comes to visuals but there's something really wrong at the same time,it feels like they really struggle to develop these games.
I just don't want another game that starts really strong and when you're halfway you notice that they're running out of gas,it started with 7 and now i see the same pattern in every game in this engine.
If they really have something that good with this new game,maybe push it to 2022 so they can iron everything out.
I can live without RE for one or two years.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
RE4 isn't that weird or outlandish, really. Umbrella experimented with the use of parasites to control organisms, the most notable example obviously being Nemesis, so the Las Plagas are simply a naturally occurring one instead of a genetically engineered one.

It's the aesthetics of a Spanish village and castle that set it apart and that's totally fine. The bright oranges, browns and greys really stand out compared to the usual colours of Raccoon City.

RE7 I'll admit is a bit harder to justify but I actually liked how the game is basically saying "this is what Umbrella's competitors were making and it's so unreliable and dangerous that now you know why Umbrella basically had a monopoly on the BOW market".

They could certainly get away with a few more games like this before bringing Umbrella back and reintroducing lethally refined BOWs. The whole point of the creation of BOWs is they're meant to be marketable to militaries and private armies and, clearly, something like Eveline is far less valuable than a Tyrant.

You drop a Tyrant like Mr. X into the middle of an enemy encampment and it'll kill pretty much anything up to a small army by itself. What's Eveline gonna do in the same situation, get everyone high on mushrooms?

You can sort of justify them all but I honestly feel like RE7 would've been better off being a new IP, this way it gives the writers more liberties as well

Let's not forget a big part of what makes RE7 an amazing experience is the unknown element, is it a ghost? is it a virus? is it a demon? who's behind this? who's Eve?

The ''blue umbrella'' and Chris Redfield are all reveal at the very end, and it serves no purpose whatsoever, if anything it makes RE7 less interesting knowing it's all just the same bioweapon shit over again

RE8 seems like it's trying to do something new, too bad Capcom had to make it a Rev3 and then when it's well received literally force it into RE8

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It sounds like it's going all in on the feeling of the beginning of RE7, which I loved, so I'm all for that.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Is this the one you have a stalker?
You asked the right question to make me want to say a bit more.

There's actually three "stalkers" in RE8, one of them was in the Ambassador demo people played, which is this Witch that laughs a lot and dissipates into a swarm of insects when you shoot at her. She's kinda' different than the normal RE stalker types (as are the other two), she is more of a trickster and likes to mess with you.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The main settings of the game were in the previous leak before this one, which is a European Snowy Village and Castle. Those aren't the only locations in the game, but are the "primary" locations.
Any chance the castle will be bigger than the RE4 castle now that they're expanding it to a mainline title?