• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
So 'Revelations 3' was originally planned for release this year, along with RE3 Remake and Resistance?

Not thrilled with the idea of another first person game. I liked RE7 a lot, but its combat was just serviceable. Returning to third person opened up more possibilities, especially with RE3R's addition of dodging. I don't need full RE6 craziness but blocking in RE7 wasn't satisfying and first person combat against melee oriented enemies in enclosed spaces is awkward in general. RE2R was also a big advancement from RE7 in terms of level design, and a first person perspective may be somewhat limiting there as well.
RE2 and RE3 were pushed back. RE2 and DMC5 were NOT supposed to be released so close together. But RE2 got delayed by like a year, the original plan was to release it in 2018, but it got delayed by a year due to rocky development.

RE3 had smoother development but had to be delayed due to RE2 as well. RE3 originally was supposed to come out a little over half a year earlier than it did.

With this schedule in mind, Revelations 3 was originally supposed to come out around when RE3 has come out (around the period of time we're in right now), but it's gotten an additional year in the oven to become RE8.

Just to give a bit of context since I know the RE release calendar has been kinda' weird recently.

KingBae

Oct 28, 2017
Huh?! This does not sound bad at all. I'm a little bummed that Rebecca was cut but I don't mind Ethan at all. 7 was surprisingly good, honestly and I'm now hyped for this!

Thanks, Dusk Golem these tidbits sure made my week! I'm excited! I also appreciate the back story you shared about how this came about it, oh and that one about End of Zoe too.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
I'm done with this fanbase, if yall had your way we would only get third person action games starring Leon or Chris. Capcom sprinting the hell away from some of yall's demands (and the insane sales of the action games) is what got us to the Resident Evil Revival (which started with 7, not with 2 Remake) we are in today.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Uh, why would they be making revelations 3 and then be making it first person?

That's just very confusing

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hmm I like what I read.

PSVR please Capcom and Sony, let's do your thing again.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
You telling me I'm not gonna get my third person action Revelations 3 and now I'm getting first person, Ethan and Occultism.
tenor.gif
Who said Action RE is dead?

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
With this schedule in mind, Revelations 3 was originally supposed to come out around when RE3 has come out (around the period of time we're in right now), but it's gotten an additional year in the oven to become RE8.

Just to give a bit of context since I know the RE release calendar has been kinda' weird recently.

I appreciate the context. :)

So, in your view, is it likely that RE8 is a Q1 2021 title (or at least was, before corona)? Or were they aiming for something like September? The "additional year in the oven" makes it seem like it could be a Q1 2021 title, or at least that was the plan.

Woodbeam

May 6, 2019
You can hack a first-person camera into RE2R, so that talking point makes no real sense. Investigating environments can even become more interesting in the first-person perspective if they're inventive enough, but it depends on the pacing they set out to achieve and all.

But I hear you on the combat. Personally I don't like how they balanced the zombies in RE2R to deal with better aiming nor how they balanced RE3R to deal with dodging, but I hear you on RE7's combat being weak. It's consistently been something they've struggled with since RE5, imo.

I'm not sure which talking point you mean, the level design? I don't think first person is necessarily limiting in that way, just perhaps with different pros and cons. Agree about RE2R's zombies, the randomness in getting a hit reaction or limb break was frustrating though certainly not game breaking. I've only played RE3R's demo so I can't fully judge but its dodging does seem perhaps overly powerful. I hope they can find an ideal set of mechanics in the future, I just don't think first person is conducive to that unfortunately.

RE2 and RE3 were pushed back. RE2 and DMC5 were NOT supposed to be released so close together. But RE2 got delayed by like a year, the original plan was to release it in 2018, but it got delayed by a year due to rocky development.

RE3 had smoother development but had to be delayed due to RE2 as well. RE3 originally was supposed to come out a little over half a year earlier than it did.

Of course, RE2R was meant to release in its 20th anniversary year, that makes perfect sense. But then RE3R was to follow later the same year? They feel pretty bunched up as is, that's surprising. And then yet another game only 6ish months later, wow. That's kind of worrying, don't want this franchise to become overheated again, and so soon after a grand revival. Glad RE8 is getting more time.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I'm done with this fanbase, if yall had your way we would only get third person action games starring Leon or Chris. Capcom sprinting the hell away from some of yall's demands (and the insane sales of the action games) is what got us to the Resident Evil Revival (which started with 7, not with 2 Remake) we are in today.
I do agree the RE fanbase would definitely ask for a lot of the same (Even after RE7 and RE2 there was a lot of "just do more of this" and leave it at that). RE being experimental is a LARGE reason the series has lasted 25 years so I also agree that them changing it up is good. Even if fans cry and bucket until they play it (Hell, I was upset about RE7 and came to enjoy it once all the DLC hit).

But the action game part definitely isn't right. Even if that's what I'd LOVE to see as the vocal majority lol.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Why are so many people surprised that Revelations 3 is a thing that (supposedly) existed?

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds good, hope werewolves are still in!
RE7 was amazing, so I'm 100% down for another first person survival horror RE.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Why were bv they making revelations an fps, well I guess they answered that themselves.

Anywho has it stands re8 sounds uninteresting.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
RE5 and RE7 got both Gold Editions. Even after excluding PS4/One re-releases, RE5 sold (for now) almost 3 millions more than RE7.

RE6 released with mixed reviews and late-gen on October 2012 with PS4 and Xbox One arriving just one year later. Yet it managed to sell 7,4 millions.

I don't see how RE7 is doing better than RE5 and RE6.
RE6 was in bargain bins within a couple months of release, so just looking at sales figures doesn't really tell the full story. It did real damage to the franchise and RE7 did an incredible job turning it back around (which RE2make then built on).

I will disagree with that poster regarding RE5 though. I think it's exceedingly mediocre (albeit a fun co-op game) and rides RE4's coattails way too much but there's no questioning that it's the most successful game in the series. IMO that was largely due to the perfect storm of a bunch of things, namely RE4's success, the rise in popularity of third person shooters and the rise in popularity of online co-op. Release that same game today and there's no way it'd be anywhere near as successful.

Anyway, hearing about all the occult stuff makes me a bit cautious but I'll wait and see. I do think it's great they're sticking with first person though, I really hope it supports VR too.

direct_quote

Oct 25, 2017
I find it so weird they brought DMC back, and then there's nothing in the rumors about it... Please give us more DMC Capcom...

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Every single detail about re8 saps the interest out of my body. Jeez

I guess no more revelations games? That sucks

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
For the record, I am VERY unclear who the playable characters are right now. AS Revelations 3, Ethan, Chris and Rebecca were the playable cast. But I got word Rebecca got 100% cut and Ethan and Chris were "changed", so I don't know what that means, I'm going in blind on that with everyone else on who's actually playable (and to give an idea of how severe these story changes may actually be).
Lord help me if it's another nobody.

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019
For the record, I am VERY unclear who the playable characters are right now. AS Revelations 3, Ethan, Chris and Rebecca were the playable cast. But I got word Rebecca got 100% cut and Ethan and Chris were "changed", so I don't know what that means, I'm going in blind on that with everyone else on who's actually playable (and to give an idea of how severe these story changes may actually be).
😭

Do you have any idea if the game will release on current consoles like the PS4?

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
I dont know who at capcom decided to make RE8 exactly what I wanted (a weirder first person followup with Ethan) but I want to give them one thousand dollars

I hope Ethan will still be a playable protag, at least.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Well thankfully it's not an RE4 Remake. I was afraid that was going to be attempted.

Abisales

Feb 5, 2019
The original Revelations also has First Person mode (aiming and shooting):
images

Besides, the director of Rev1 was also the director of 7. IiRC he confirms the origins of the First Persona View.

Dusk, this change on 8-Rev3-8 vanish the future of the Revelations series?

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I hope we only play as one character.
😭

Do you have any idea if the game will release on current consoles like the PS4?
Your answer is in the thread title.

Oct 25, 2017
This sounds fantastic, I'm definitely interested.

The one part that sort of upsets me is that Revelations 3 was being developed as a first person horror game. I'd expect that for RE8 from the start, but I wished Revelations would be the spinoff series that would approach RE5 design, while mainline and remakes focus on horror.

As it stands, RE3 is actually the closer we have to Action RE.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
If this is true, fuck them fully for cutting Rebecca. And I'm not excited at the prospect of both this (ReR3 as RE8) and RE8 being first person.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
i never actually commented on the rumor. But I'm fine with this. RE4 is the best RE in the series because it did whatever it wanted to. So another RE going in to change things up from the formula sounds good to me. I want another RE that is it's own thing rather than chasing the trends of the past.

Deleted member 19533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
With Itsuno being busy with another project, they're for sure saving DMC5SE for next gen as a stop-gap until we get DMC6.
Playable Vergil, maybe some add-on missions, and a multiplayer bloody palace. I could see SE coming within a year of launch of next gen. Wonder if they'd give us playable Lady and Trish again?

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
It was true when I heard it, which admittedly was some time ago. The original idea was the first half would be open up to the Subway, and then the game would get more linear in the second half. That's still kinda' true of the final, but they downscaled the exploration part of the city certainly.

I think some are more focused on that aspect, rather than me mentioning RE3 was going to be "sooner than people thought", it was "outsourced to another studio (M-Two as revealed since then)", and "people should prepare for something very different (because the game is going to be very different than RE3)" stuff, which were vague but I mainly like to hint people rather than be direct like I'm being here, but in this case I know it's coming out this month anyways and it was already partially leaked, I can add more to it and it's a game that needs more time for acceptance I feel.

I wish back then I had mentioned they turned the Tram into a Subway as I knew that so maybe some may see what I said was true though. But I've learned more over time to wait and hold onto things until they can no longer be changed. The RE3 thing was info I had from 2018, the stuff I share now is from this year when the game is not that far away from reveal.
It feels like inferences and educated guesses are being made that could be true and are based on truth, but may or may not reflect the product that is either planned, being made, or comes to fruition. The scope of RE2 comes to mind.

"Oh, they must have changed it" is definitely a safe out, but it doesn't quite work when this game was announced only 4 months ago and some of the stuff about the nature of the game structure was discussed when the game would have been finished.

Mr. Genuine

Mar 23, 2018
I have a bad feeling about this one.

Using Revelations as a starting point does not give me a ton of confidence.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
Hallucinations? Like the cancelled RE4 " Hallucinations" version. Or something different?

because id be down for Capcom bringing back ideas from that demo. Looked awesome.

This is the first I'm seeing this prototype. As much as I like RE4, this painting ghost boss looks cooler than anything in that game. So I'm all in for more stuff like this.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like a million other FPS horror games out there. It having started life as a Revelations game does not inspire confidence, but I guess we will see.