• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DVCY201

Oct 25, 2017
Resident Evil 4 -> 7.5m over 15 years and 9 platforms (Not sure why you used this as an example lmao)
Resident Evil 5 -> 11.5m over 11 years and 6 platforms and a Gold Edition rerelease
Resident Evil 6 -> 9.3m over 7 and a half years and 6 platforms

Resident Evil 7 sold 7m in 3 years over 3 platforms. Much faster sell rate.
I'm not too interested in sales, but by this definition, REmake 2 has sold 5.8m in a little over 1 year. So, it'd be outpacing RE7.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'm not too interested in sales, but by this definition, REmake 2 has sold 5.8m in a little over 1 year. So, it'd be outpacing RE7.
Yup I wouldnt be surprised if RE2 eventually became the #1 or #2 top selling RE game with 7 right behind it.

But like I mentioned in my edit. RE7 was made by 120 people, RE2 Remake had over 800 according to Capcom's NHK broadcast a few months before release. So RE7 could have very easily be a much more profitable title than RE2 was.

comicbook.com

'Resident Evil 2' Remake Reportedly Took Over 800 Devs

We knew that the journey to recreating the magic that was Resident Evil 2 would be a big one, but [...]

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Sales figures isn't what made this game. The development of this game is SO much more fascinating than many probably imagine, I'll love to talk about it in detail in the future but can't yet as it includes spoilers and some things better for someone else to reveal.

Essentially what happened is this game came into creation and was kept alive by pure passion of some of the devs. So this game was ORIGINALLY RE8, but in late 2017 it got turned into Rev 3 and stayed like that through most of development. A big reason the game did not go under was huge support by one of the series producers who kept pushing for this title to be made. Others in the company weren't as sure what fans of the franchise may think of it or that it might be "too weird" for Resident Evil.

But as Revelations 3 the game was 95% done late last year basically, it was fully playable and just being polished. They did some internal testing, and the reception to that was far, FAR more positive than they were expecting. People who didn't work on the game but work at Div 1 also played it and were surprised how good it came out.

The Ambassador Test held last year was to test it with more direct fans as they were toying with the idea of it being RE8, but they weren't sure what fans would think. However, the test, plus some other stuff (and especially the fact the other RE8 was years away from completion), meant Revelations 3 got an upgrade.

But the existence of the game has nothing to do with anything, it was a pure passion project by some people on the studio, which managed to be made and was originally kinda' thrown into a Revelations game as it's a side series, but due to circumstance and the actual quality of what was made, it gets a bigger chance to shine and gets an additional year to build onto it, polish it, etc.
This makes me feel better about it being a former Rev title. Despite their efforts it will become the numbered title they intended it to be. The subject matter is super interesting, but Rev titles have interesting subject matter too, soured by a AA scope. That passion kept this thing afloat is also encouraging.

You kept saying RE8 was scrapped and years away a while back - was that the "other RE8"?

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Uh huh. I still don't understand the obsession with the things this guy keeps "leaking" seeing as it's always vague as shit, but sure.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sounds good to me, re7 was amazing as a first person game so id love to see what else they can do with this perspective.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
So did they accidentally make Revelations 3 too good and decided it deserved to be more than a spin off? Lol

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
This makes me feel better about it being a former Rev title. Despite their efforts it will become the numbered title they intended it to be. The subject matter is super interesting, but Rev titles have interesting subject matter too, soured by a AA scope. That passion kept this thing afloat is also encouraging.

You kept saying RE8 was scrapped and years away a while back - was that the "other RE8"?
Yes, but that game will probably end up being RE9 at this point, but it's still years away now so I'm not speaking any further on it (even if I did, it's very likely to change a lot before it is revealed even).

Finaika

Dec 11, 2017
You telling me I'm not gonna get my third person action Revelations 3 and now I'm getting first person, Ethan and Occultism.
tenor.gif
This :(

DVCY201

Oct 25, 2017
Yup I wouldnt be surprised if RE2 eventually became the #1 or #2 top selling RE game with 7 right behind it.

But like I mentioned in my edit. RE7 was made by 120 people, RE2 Remake had over 800 according to Capcom's NHK broadcast a few months before release. So RE7 could have very easily be a much more profitable title than RE2 was.

comicbook.com

'Resident Evil 2' Remake Reportedly Took Over 800 Devs

We knew that the journey to recreating the magic that was Resident Evil 2 would be a big one, but [...]
800 people, really? Wow, that's wild. Yea, I dunno, only Capcom knows which titles are more profitable. Anyways, it seems like it was more of a passion project anyways according to Dusk, so sales don't seem to matter in this case. It'll be interesting to see what RE9 is, as it was previously 8.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just a reminder that Dusk said RE3 would be semi open world'ish (Hub based) with the subway serving as a sort of fast travel between areas and that it wasnt going to be so linear in the first half.

Nothing about that was true.

Jan 4, 2018
Resident Evil 4 -> 7.5m over 15 years and 9 platforms (Not sure why you used this as an example lmao)
Resident Evil 5 -> 11.5m over 11 years and 6 platforms and a Gold Edition rerelease
Resident Evil 6 -> 9.3m over 7 and a half years and 6 platforms

Resident Evil 7 sold 7m in 3 years over 3 platforms and a Gold Edition re-release. Much faster sell rate.

RE5 and RE7 got both Gold Editions. Even after excluding PS4/One re-releases, RE5 sold (for now) almost 3 millions more than RE7.

RE6 released with mixed reviews and late-gen on October 2012 with PS4 and Xbox One arriving just one year later. Yet it managed to sell 7,4 millions.

I don't see how RE7 is doing better than RE5 and RE6.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Kind of confusing... why was Rev 3 being developed at all, let alone as a viable first person game?

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Just a reminder that Dusk said RE3 would be semi open world'ish (Hub based) with the subway serving as a sort of fast travel between areas and that it wasnt going to be so linear in the first half.

Nothing about that was true.
It was true when I heard it, which admittedly was some time ago. The original idea was the first half would be open up to the Subway, and then the game would get more linear in the second half. That's still kinda' true of the final, but they downscaled the exploration part of the city certainly.

I think some are more focused on that aspect, rather than me mentioning RE3 was going to be "sooner than people thought", it was "outsourced to another studio (M-Two as revealed since then)", and "people should prepare for something very different (because the game is going to be very different than RE3)" stuff, which were vague but I mainly like to hint people rather than be direct like I'm being here, but in this case I know it's coming out this month anyways and it was already partially leaked, I can add more to it and it's a game that needs more time for acceptance I feel.

I wish back then I had mentioned they turned the Tram into a Subway as I knew that so maybe some may see what I said was true though. But I've learned more over time to wait and hold onto things until they can no longer be changed. The RE3 thing was info I had from 2018, the stuff I share now is from this year when the game is not that far away from reveal.

dmr87

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Didn't play 7 because I have no interest in a first person Resident Evil, along with new characters, enemies and all that.

But I'm fine with it, I'll just stick to the remakes.

Biosnake

Oct 25, 2017
So Dusk is this being revealed officially soon or more leaks being posted by someone else? Also I prefer third person RE but am fine with first person too.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
So Dusk is this being revealed officially soon or more leaks being posted by someone else? Also I prefer third person RE but am fine with first person too.
Leaks this month, official reveal shouldn't be too far off now. The original idea was to reveal it at the next E3, but obviously that's not happening now, so to see when it's revealed I guess.

I believe it won't be kept until near release like RE3 was. I had heard part of the reason RE3's marketing was as it was actually partially was because they were saving money for RE8's marketing cycle as it needed it more.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sales figures isn't what made this game. The development of this game is SO much more fascinating than many probably imagine, I'll love to talk about it in detail in the future but can't yet as it includes spoilers and some things better for someone else to reveal.

Essentially what happened is this game came into creation and was kept alive by pure passion of some of the devs. So this game was ORIGINALLY RE8, but in late 2017 it got turned into Rev 3 and stayed like that through most of development. A big reason the game did not go under was huge support by one of the series producers who kept pushing for this title to be made. Others in the company weren't as sure what fans of the franchise may think of it or that it might be "too weird" for Resident Evil.

But as Revelations 3 the game was 95% done late last year basically, it was fully playable and just being polished. They did some internal testing, and the reception to that was far, FAR more positive than they were expecting. People who didn't work on the game but work at Div 1 also played it and were surprised how good it came out.

The Ambassador Test held last year was to test it with more direct fans as they were toying with the idea of it being RE8, but they weren't sure what fans would think. However, the test, plus some other stuff (and especially the fact the other RE8 was years away from completion), meant Revelations 3 got an upgrade.

But the existence of the game has nothing to do with anything, it was a pure passion project by some people on the studio, which managed to be made and was originally kinda' thrown into a Revelations game as it's a side series, but due to circumstance and the actual quality of what was made, it gets a bigger chance to shine and gets an additional year to build onto it, polish it, etc.
That sounds like it could be a problem though, trying to take a nearly-finished game and then revamping it?

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I feel in this specific case I'm not being very vague at all, if I may.
In this case, sure. But frankly I don't think leaking things like this when there is still more than enough time for things to change in development, which has apparently happened in your previous leaks, really does anyone a whole lot of good. The information is interesting, but at what point do you take a step back and breathe before posting these things? Back in January you said we wouldn't be seeing a mainline Resident Evil, meaning 8, in several years. And now it's suddenly going to be coming out next year?

The problem with leaks and information like this is that things in game development change constantly, something I'm sure you're more than aware of being a dev yourself, and unless things are concrete why not just let the company announce what they're doing themselves? If they're announcing it this month anyway, what's the harm in letting them actually reveal something themselves for once?

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Do you know if it will have VR included? I hope so. The reception for 7 having VR was super, super positive.
I heard it has VR, but I want to refrain from commenting because I heard this passively and don't want to get people excited for it only to learn later it was cut or something. I'm mainly trying to stick to things I know in this case so people don't later down the line say, "HEY YOU SAID-" if something or another changed.

Deleted member 25448

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I heard it has VR, but I want to refrain from commenting because I heard this passively and don't want to get people excited for it only to learn later it was cut or something. I'm mainly trying to stick to things I know in this case so people don't later down the line say, "HEY YOU SAID-" if something or another changed.

I completely understand. Thank you for answering. Fingers crossed for VR implementation then!

Champion

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tampa, FL

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
That sounds like it could be a problem though, trying to take a nearly-finished game and then revamping it?
There's some concerns on it, but hey. It's actually what happened to the original RE3 as well, the only direct comparision.

RE3 the original spin-off version originally ended right before the Clock Tower and starred a random civilian of Raccoon City. When it got turned into RE3 as we know it, Jill became the main character, the UBSC were added to the story, Grave Digger got added, and the full Clock Tower and locations past that were added to the game.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
I love hearing these rumors and leaks with projected release dates in the middle of a pandemic when games that are basically gold are being delayed indefinitely. Like cool man, nice find. It's probably 2023 tho

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Capcom cut corners with RE3 and I'm legitimately wondering how thorough they're going to be in turning a spin-off into a cross-gen mainline title in only a year timeframe.

I'm skeptical as hell.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
For the record, I am VERY unclear who the playable characters are right now. AS Revelations 3, Ethan, Chris and Rebecca were the playable cast. But I got word Rebecca got 100% cut and Ethan and Chris were "changed", so I don't know what that means, I'm going in blind on that with everyone else on who's actually playable (and to give an idea of how severe these story changes may actually be).

Anger

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
jeeeesus

they want RE to be an annualized franchise huh? just cranking these fuckers out

Nazgûl

Banned
Dec 16, 2019
Except for the first person thing, the rest sounds good. But i cant stop thinking, why just not make a new horror IP ?

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
All the details sound awesome.
I loved RE7 and the hallucinations and mental parts are very welcome in my opinion.

I loved the first person perspective in RE7 despite my early trepidation.
I say bring all those FP and 3rd person REs.

Woodbeam

May 6, 2019
So 'Revelations 3' was originally planned for release this year, along with RE3 Remake and Resistance?

Not thrilled with the idea of another first person game. I liked RE7 a lot, but its combat was just serviceable. Returning to third person opened up more possibilities, especially with RE3R's addition of dodging. I don't need full RE6 craziness but blocking in RE7 wasn't satisfying and first person combat against melee oriented enemies in enclosed spaces is awkward in general. RE2R was also a big advancement from RE7 in terms of level design, and a first person perspective may be somewhat limiting there as well.

Blackbird

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil

This post right here, that's why this specific project gets me.

Seems there's some crazy stuff going on with this game and a lot of people are very passionate about it, really curious to see it in motion.

Biosnake

Oct 25, 2017
Leaks this month, official reveal shouldn't be too far off now. The original idea was to reveal it at the next E3, but obviously that's not happening now, so to see when it's revealed I guess.

I believe it won't be kept until near release like RE3 was. I had heard part of the reason RE3's marketing was as it was actually partially was because they were saving money for RE8's marketing cycle as it needed it more.
Guess it can still be revealed at someones digital E3 event.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
I can see Capcom really wanting a "mainline" title for the 25th anniversary of RE, which is coming up next year as well.

I'm glad there isn't a long gap between RE7 and RE8. Four years is plenty. I'm ready.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

I'd imagine that the reveal will be around the month of June if they were originally planning for a reveal at E3. With that being said, everything you've said sounds interesting, especially with it sounding like a passion project.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So 'Revelations 3' was originally planned for release this year, along with RE3 Remake and Resistance?

Not thrilled with the idea of another first person game. I liked RE7 a lot, but its combat was just serviceable. Returning to third person opened up more possibilities, especially with RE3R's addition of dodging. I don't need full RE6 craziness but blocking in RE7 wasn't satisfying and first person combat against melee oriented enemies in enclosed spaces is awkward in general. RE2R was also a big advancement from RE7 in terms of level design, and a first person perspective may be somewhat limiting there as well.
You can hack a first-person camera into RE2R, so that talking point makes no real sense. Investigating environments can even become more interesting in the first-person perspective if they're inventive enough, but it depends on the pacing they set out to achieve and all.

But I hear you on the combat. Personally I don't like how they balanced the zombies in RE2R to deal with better aiming nor how they balanced RE3R to deal with dodging, but I hear you on RE7's combat being weak. It's consistently been something they've struggled with since RE5, imo.