• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
pleaseinsertdisctwo
Oct 31, 2017
glad you like it. i dropped the game soon after it came out because i couldn't beat genichiro. when i realized he had a second (third?) phase, i just gave up despite loving all the FROM games.

rebought it a week or two ago, got stuck at genichiro again, and last night i finally defeated him. that was a rush, i jumped out of my seat lmao. game owns. takes patience, no doubt.. but i what i love about the game and all their games is that it forces you to learn and forces you to literally get good. everyone can get it eventually, and it feels damn good when you do
Hmmmm I dunno. For most of my boss victories I've just felt lucky lol. I will say that I'm definitely beyond shocked that I made it this far bc I've tried all other Miyazaki games and never even made it to the halfway point and I even used summons. I just couldn't be assed.

I guess it's because, like I said, I'm just mostly thinking about how much I love everything about the game. The setting, the characters, the lore, the animations, the combat, etc.

One of my favorite games of all time for sure. And I still feel weird saying that bc I don't agree with Miyazaki's design philosophy of "make everything obscure" and "make it balls to the walls hard"

Though I will say

I think the most unfair part of the entire game was the beginning portion. There is SO, so, so much to learn with this game and throwing mini-bosses with a bunch of enemies with an idol that isn't exactly nearby and with a stealth system that's very strange, is incredibly frustrating.

Lady Butterfly is hard as fuck but I never once thought she was unfair bc there's an idol right next to the fight, and I knew from the get-go that it was just a matter of deflecting her attacks.

And bc I've only tried DoH twice I can't give an actual opinion on it yet, but out of all the bosses the only one that I'll say is really badly designed is the Headless fight. Like, yeah, I beat it on my first try somehow, but I was also panicking and fighting with the camera and felt like I was just lucky. The game is designed for 1 vs 1 but we have 2 giant apes attacking you at the same time in a pretty cramped space. Seemed pretty bullshit to me

Outside of that, combat wise the only criticism I have rn is that the lock on and camera absolutely suck

And also I hate Owl

With a passion

Every time he uses firecrackers I want to scream

for some reason I have massive trouble jumping backwards lol

Last edited:
OP
OP
pleaseinsertdisctwo
Oct 31, 2017
c6clcZO.png
What the hell??? HOW

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
"Sekiro EASY CHEESE method:

stand in this exact spot and look to the left twice and then crouch and jump while the boss is doing their SECOND thrust. Then lock-on and off 3 times while running past the tree with 7 roots sticking out on the left side from where you're facing. Then wait for it to come to this direction. Once it's about to thrust, lock-on and grapple onto the MIDDLE LEFT tree, and the then IMMEDIATELY grapple to the tree nearest to the boss and then back again to the middle left tree and then grapple onto the tree near the idol. Wait 3 seconds and then run to the ledge but DO NOT hop down, and FACE the boss. Once the perilous symbol shows up, turn around and wait for 4-5 seconds and hop down to the ledge and wait in this exact spot and do not move and he'll fall"
🤣

OP
OP
pleaseinsertdisctwo
Oct 31, 2017
I looked up DoH cheese videos after I typed that just for shits and giggles and I love how I was pretty much on the money... except the actual guide was even worse

after 2 minutes of detailed instructions the guy pauses and does this

xxOXx
Xxxxx

With the O signifying the exact spot to stay put

and then he showed the exact angle to keep the camera in

like lol this is harder than actually fighting it

OP
OP
pleaseinsertdisctwo
Oct 31, 2017
Also I just wanna say, considering how gorgeous the opening is, and ESPECIALLY considering the fact that this game doesn't have a CaC, I really wish Sekiro had a couple more CG cutscenes. Like 2 mid-game and one for the best ending. I would've loved to see what Kuro, Emma, Genichiro, and the Divine Dragon looked like in CG

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
Also I just wanna say, considering how gorgeous the opening is, and ESPECIALLY considering the fact that this game doesn't have a CaC, I really wish Sekiro had a couple more CG cutscenes. Like 2 mid-game and one for the best ending. I would've loved to see what Kuro, Emma, Genichiro, and the Divine Dragon looked like in CG
I always forget that CG intro exists because it's so detached from the game. It looks more like Tsushima than Sekiro. I agree a CG ending would have been cool.

Ricky

Oct 25, 2017
I've tried this game twice and keep telling my friend I'm going to give it one more chance. I'm deployed right now and this is the best time since my kids can't distract me but I keep finding other shit to play 😂

One day...

OP
OP
pleaseinsertdisctwo
Oct 31, 2017
I've tried this game twice and keep telling my friend I'm going to give it one more chance. I'm deployed right now and this is the best time since my kids can't distract me but I keep finding other shit to play 😂

One day...

The game "clicked" for me during a day where I knew I had plenty of spare time. Told myself it's ok if I die lemme just learn it. I sat down and spent like 4 hours on it in one sitting because I finally killed a mini boss, then killed two more, then killed a boss.

The problem beforehand was that I would play it with the mindset of putting in like 1 hour and I wouldn't want to die. It's impossible to not hate the game that way. For at least a few sessions the play time has to be kinda lengthy for it to sink in. Afterwards, sure, short bursts are absolutely viable and there's plenty of checkpoints.

Thickstone

Oct 27, 2017
I can definitely see what people like about the game.

i tried to beat genichiro and was so proud to beat his first two phases. Then the third phase came and I was so demotivated I just let him kill me and uninstalled the game. This was the only time where I felt that the game gave me the middle finger and it just made me lose interest.

Ricky

Oct 25, 2017
The game "clicked" for me during a day where I knew I had plenty of spare time. Told myself it's ok if I die lemme just learn it. I sat down and spent like 4 hours on it in one sitting because I finally killed a mini boss, then killed two more, then killed a boss.

The problem beforehand was that I would play it with the mindset of putting in like 1 hour and I wouldn't want to die. It's impossible to not hate the game that way. For at least a few sessions the play time has to be kinda lengthy for it to sink in. Afterwards, sure, short bursts are absolutely viable and there's plenty of checkpoints.
My first time playing I made it to the Drunkard and got destroyed. I couldn't figure how to take out the ads. My second time I managed to take a different route (no idea how) and stumbled upon a boss that came out on a horse (I think I was in some kind of arena) and this dude overwhelmed me. I wasn't even thinking logically. I just started to attack and got destroyed. We'll see where my 3rd attempts take me 🤣

OP
OP
pleaseinsertdisctwo
Oct 31, 2017
My first time playing I made it to the Drunkard and got destroyed. I couldn't figure how to take out the ads. My second time I managed to take a different route (no idea how) and stumbled upon a boss that came out on a horse (I think I was in some kind of arena) and this dude overwhelmed me. I wasn't even thinking logically. I just started to attack and got destroyed. We'll see where my 3rd attempts take me 🤣
For honestly a LOT of boss fights and mini boss fights, specific prosthetic tools and arts make them a lot easier. So in that sense grinding can be useful.

And with the Drunkard, it's a matter of throwing oil at him, setting him on fire, and whacking away (and firecrackers too, I think?). He's also big and slow so it's easy to avoid his attacks. It's just annoying and intimidating because there's so many enemies you have to clear out. I didn't even have that helper NPC because I accidentally killed it lol

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
Sneak behind the Drunkard and cut his health in half. Run towards the NPC (I didn't know you could kill him, lol) in front of the castle/shrine/whatever and ask for help. You should of course get rid of all of his men beforehand. I found him super easy to deal with, actually!

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017

i tried to beat genichiro and was so proud to beat his first two phases. Then the third phase came and I was so demotivated I just let him kill me and uninstalled the game. This was the only time where I felt that the game gave me the middle finger and it just made me lose interest.

But the third phase is the easiest.

Plainsong

Oct 28, 2017
United Kingdom

Exactly the same. Got him to the 3rd phase a few times then thought fuck it and dropped it right there and never went back. 60fps on the PS5 has me interested...maybe one day.

Thickstone

Oct 27, 2017
Exactly the same. Got him to the 3rd phase a few times then thought fuck it and dropped it right there and never went back. 60fps on the PS5 has me interested...maybe one day.

more power to you! Maybe you'll eventually beat him.

Another reason for me was that even if I beat him, I will definitely hit another roadblock that will result in a similar situation. This prospect just felt tedious to me and I already found the game to be quite draining. On top of that everything I read about the final boss makes me realize that I'll probably never finish it anyway.

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
Sekiro is amazing. once it clicked for me i played non-stop.

only one trophy missing, acquire all skills which requires an insane grind...

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
that final fight can fuck off. i tried that many times the entire area and fight is burned into mind forever. took me at least 100 attempts to finally beat him and even then it felt like pure luck.

OP
OP
pleaseinsertdisctwo
Oct 31, 2017
Yay I beat Owl!!!

ok contrary to what ppl say online, raising attack power really does help. But bc of the diminishing returns it may take a century or two to really see how it can help

But anyways

I went ahead and tried Isshin once. First form seemed pretty easy peasy. As for the form with the spear— it honestly didn't seem that tough but I got confused. Maybe I was mashing buttons and I didn't realize it, but are most of his attacks with his spear unblockable? I wasn't really sure what to do tbh but it doesn't seem like an insanely impossible phase or anything

random88

Oct 25, 2017
Not US
Yay I beat Owl!!!

ok contrary to what ppl say online, raising attack power really does help. But bc of the diminishing returns it may take a century or two to really see how it can help

But anyways

I went ahead and tried Isshin once. First form seemed pretty easy peasy. As for the form with the spear— it honestly didn't seem that tough but I got confused. Maybe I was mashing buttons and I didn't realize it, but are most of his attacks with his spear unblockable? I wasn't really sure what to do tbh but it doesn't seem like an insanely impossible phase or anything

You can block/parry all spear attacks, but there are a few big ones that do damage even if you block them.

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
Yay I beat Owl!!!

But anyways

Got to the second phase with the spear on your first try? Spear attacks are definitely blockable but can be very tight timing.

You definitely have this. Took me a lot of tries to get that far. Spear phase is definitely a step up in difficulty, 3rd phase is similar with some variations.

That boss honestly must have taken me near enough 100 tries.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Genichiro took me legit like 5-6 hours. It pretty much broke me, but it taught me how to play the game. No other boss took me more than 15-20 minutes until Ashina Castle Owl and then Isshin which were both around 45 minutes or so.

It's funny when I see how much trouble people had with Hirata Owl. He's a much less disorienting fight than the first Owl to me. Flame Umbrella kind of shits on him.

OP
OP
pleaseinsertdisctwo
Oct 31, 2017
Genichiro took me legit like 5-6 hours. It pretty much broke me, but it taught me how to play the game. No other boss took me more than 15-20 minutes until Ashina Castle Owl and then Isshin which were both around 45 minutes or so.

It's funny when I see how much trouble people had with Hirata Owl. He's a much less disorienting fight than the first Owl to me. Flame Umbrella kind of shits on him.
You don't even need the umbrella. I learned that you can just jump over the the owl charge attack! Lol

OP
OP
pleaseinsertdisctwo
Oct 31, 2017
Got to the second phase with the spear on your first try? Spear attacks are definitely blockable but can be very tight timing.

You definitely have this. Took me a lot of tries to get that far. Spear phase is definitely a step up in difficulty, 3rd phase is similar with some variations.

That boss honestly must have taken me near enough 100 tries.
Ughhhh I'm scared

my biggest issue is just impatience honestly

Some of these bosses have too much health 🙄

OP
OP
pleaseinsertdisctwo
Oct 31, 2017
Yay I made it to the last phase!!! And after only like 5 attempts too

Genichiro: for the most part, piss easy. There's like one combo that
Isshin Phase 1: for the most part, piss easy
Isshin Phase 2: not that hard honestly. I need to work on what to do when he leaps with his spear; I try getting under him but that's only worked like once lol. There's also some super long combo he does that I haven't exactly gotten down. Aside from that, I can make relatively short work of him by using the Mortal Draw.
Isshin Phase 3: tbh I didn't last very long when I got to this phase (only like 30 seconds) but because I fucking hate Thunder attacks like I never know how to fucking time them ugh

I wish we could use WAAAAY more emblems. I hate using Ceremonial Tanto

Talos

Mar 5, 2019
Yay I made it to the last phase!!! And after only like 5 attempts too

Genichiro: for the most part, piss easy. There's like one combo that
Isshin Phase 1: for the most part, piss easy
Isshin Phase 2: not that hard honestly. I need to work on what to do when he leaps with his spear; I try getting under him but that's only worked like once lol. There's also some super long combo he does that I haven't exactly gotten down. Aside from that, I can make relatively short work of him by using the Mortal Draw.
Isshin Phase 3: tbh I didn't last very long when I got to this phase (only like 30 seconds) but because I fucking hate Thunder attacks like I never know how to fucking time them ugh

I wish we could use WAAAAY more emblems. I hate using Ceremonial Tanto

Have you got the mist raven tool? If you use that without inputting a direction when the lightning hits you, it will launch you up in the air and you can press R1 for an easy re-direct.

Oct 27, 2017
Mist Raven is a great tool for countering lightning attacks since you take no damage from doing so although it costs Spirit Emblems.

If you want to counter it the old-fashioned way, try jumping when the red danger kanji disappears (or starts fading away) and hit R1 while you're midair.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Its been a year but Im super stuck at the last boss (I beat the other, optional boss) and now I feel like I need to restart the game cause I totally forgot how to play.

Im also stuck at the last boss in the Bloodborne DLC, which is stopping me from beating the last boss

Im also at the last stretch of Dark Souls 3, and that was 3 years ago

Im sensing a pattern here

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
Gald you are liking it, the first part is From's best game, the rest is just Dark Souls 4 (yes, the ape broke me as a gamer).

Sekiro is brutal, but it's honestly not the hardest game ever. Checkpoints are generous, you often have the chance to climb somewhere and just relax a bit during boss battles, and being sneaky (in addition to cheesing enemies) makes things relatively manageable. I'd say Doom Eternal is more difficult, for example.

It's a fantastic game! Honestly the only From game I actually love. Elden Ring being more of a Souls-like is pretty disappointing ;(
Difficulty seems to be very personal, I beat Doom Eternal + DLC, SMT IV on hard, Viewtiful Joe on hard yet Sekiro is the only game that mentally destroyed me. I think it's because I just can't parry in games, I need to dodge. Probably why I had zero problems with Bloodborne.

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
Some of you may recall a thread where I was a tad inflammatory and I do apologize for that; I get in certain moods (especially when my ADHD meds aren't in my system) where I lose my sense of mindfulness and also lose control over my emotions.

Anyways, a couple of weeks ago, I re-downloaded Sekiro and told myself "ok I'll give this game ONE more chance"

AbsoluteTotalGermanwirehairedpointer-max-1mb.gif

I managed to beat the mini-boss I was stuck on.

And eventually got to Lady Butterfly.

BriskImperturbableAidi-size_restricted.gif

Oddly enough, I wasn't discouraged. I died to her like 50-60+ times, but eventually I got to the point where I barely took damage. I found it to be really fun, actually. As of right now all my favorite fights in the game are ones where you're just encouraged to deflect perfectly until their posture is ruined and you can deal the deathblow.

And then it was mostly smooth sailing from there. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I beat Genichiro, I beat the Guardian Ape, and I even beat the Headless Ape with its stupid Lover Companion on my first try!!

I'm mostly shocked, because I generally don't like hard games. But with Sekiro? Well, though there is some jank in the design, and I kind of hate how it basically requires a walkthrough/online help (unless you want it to take forever, and with me it already has lol. I'm 45 hours in and I definitely have a bit to go). I think it's just a fucking brilliant game in general.

The further I go, the more awed I am. I love the NPC's, I love the design of every location, I love how every location looks, exploring is SO rewarding, and I never get tired of using the hookshot. And it just feels like there's so much effort put into it that I just have to see it through eventually.

BitesizedSpicyBudgie-size_restricted.gif

Maybe there'll be situations later in the game that'll cause me to think it's insurmountable, but as of right now, I've realized that there's no boss that's impossible; if anything, it's just learning the timing.

Even though I've gotten this far, I can't say I've "gotten good" at all, because that requires:

1. Remembering to not spam any button because that'll screw you over
2. Remembering to be aggressive, but not too aggressive.

And that's really hard, depending on the mood I'm in!

I'm currently stuck on Owl, but I've went from "wtf I can't get one fucking hit in" with my first few deaths, to almost killing him. I'm sure I'll get him eventually.

It's just that the game really does require a LOT of energy. At least for me. I think I've only been able to do this because, tbh, the past few weeks have been the least productive weeks for me in recent memory lol. Not to say that to beat this game you have to be an unproductive person, but for someone like me who isn't used to playing hard games, and is prone to being emotional and super anxious, something like this can really drain your energy.

That said, even if I never beat this game (which I don't think will be the case, because, again, I know that it all comes down to getting timing and movesets down, even if that'll take me 100+ tries), and even though I do think it'd be more enjoyable if I could kinda grind my way through tbh, I still think it's an absolutely brilliant game, and I want to say that it's one of my favorite games of all time at this point. Absolutely everything (except the camera and the stealth mechanic) was crafted with so much care, it's almost unbelievable. And even though there's usually only one way to beat something, there's MANY ways to make fights a little easier, such as using the Deathblow that possesses an enemy and can distract the boss/mini-boss for a little bit.

It's just so fucking weird and cool. I still have absolutely no idea how to use the Umbrella correctly, but it looks fucking amazing and I love seeing it spin. Some of the animation work in this game is truly incredible. And shit like the Monkey boss fight was a pleasant surprise. Sometimes, if I feel like taking a break from a boss or mini-boss, I'll just boot up the game and re-explore some areas.

I can gush about the game all day long honestly. Even though it's flawed and even though I wish I was better at it.

Can't believe I'm saying this, but at 45 hours in: I'm enamored with this fucking game.
So you let a place like this resetera site dictate what you can and can't do? I don't really understand? You were banned so all that spare time would have been used for here if you weren't banned? I'm confused.

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
The fun thing about Sekiro is that if you master the parry, you master the game. After finishing the game the second run was smooth and super fun for me... beating all bosses like "nothing" parrying and counter attacking everything.

OP
OP
pleaseinsertdisctwo
Oct 31, 2017
So you let a place like this resetera site dictate what you can and can't do? I don't really understand? You were banned so all that spare time would have been used for here if you weren't banned? I'm confused.

Huh? I just said that during my month long ban I gave Sekiro another shot and I ended up truly loving the game. I have no idea what you're saying

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
Gald you are liking it, the first part is From's best game, the rest is just Dark Souls 4 (yes, the ape broke me as a gamer).

Difficulty seems to be very personal, I beat Doom Eternal + DLC, SMT IV on hard, Viewtiful Joe on hard yet Sekiro is the only game that mentally destroyed me. I think it's because I just can't parry in games, I need to dodge. Probably why I had zero problems with Bloodborne.
I had to switch to easy mode in Doom Eternal and I was still dying here and there, lol. I guess fighting games prepared me for parrying :P

OP
OP
pleaseinsertdisctwo
Oct 31, 2017
YESSS I beat Isshin!!

I think my total death count towards him was like 7? But I don't think that counts because I grinded until I was Level 23 😂 all I did was go through the first 3 fights without using Mortal Blade

in the last one I noticed that 1 use of MB did a shitload of posture damage so I did it again (kinda comfortably bc I had 1 revive available), then I blocked one attack and then hit him, then he died. The end :)

And with that sequel bait of an ending we better have a sequel in development rn