• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ErichWK

Oct 25, 2017
Sandy Eggo
I had to tap out when it first came out because i was so fucking bad at it. But it's been on the back of my mind every day since. Now that i have my PS5 i downloaded it and am excited to come in with a fresh mind, fresh controller, fresh year.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Sekiro still has a lot of issues. If you get backed into a corner it's game over cause you cant see shit. And in the Ashina rooftops (second time around) fighting 4 ninjas and 2 dogs was nuts, there's not much you can do but run away. Some of the boss battles are actually easier. What I learned is that you can just dodge and block during most encounters. Still enjoyable but it's not quite the gaming nirvana I was expecting. It's just 1 or 2 buttons more for every encounter that I have to memorize than optimal, ie, switch prosthetics is one button too many in the thick of things, or rotate items. And then there's the lag for using items and the lag for Ninjitsu. Things that just needlessly make things slightly more frustrating than difficult. Designed to frustrate because you lose to the design and not necessarily because you aren't skilled. Back in the days everyone hated PS2 Shinobi IIRC but it was sublime for me. I prefer tightly engineered small move set that you have to master over learning how to use the whole controller all at once. Because you still have to move and control camera alongside the actual move set. Game would have been better without prosthetics or ninjitsu, just parry, block, attack, dodge, jump. And a better way to cycle targets, and no lag in item usage.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I think my own issue with sekiro is that I just don't have time to play it as much as I'd like to. I've been on owl for months now with no progress. An hour here, an hour there. Not enough time to get into a zone. And I know that later bosses are far more difficult. If I had a few days of no work, no interruptions, maybe I could do it. But other stuff gets in the way. At least with the other From games I can use that few hours a week to do some level grinding. I can always change my equipment and improve it. But sekiro is the definition of "git gud".

I'll keep at it, but I'm not sure I'll ever beat this game.

Heliex

Nov 2, 2017
I did 5 characters in Demons Souls Remake, and it got me in a real mood to play more Souls. Went back and finally did an Arcane build in Bloodborne (Was OP as hell) and then I saw Dark Souls 3 on sale for 20 bucks and now im doing that. I was pleasantly surprised to find out that DS3 was patched for 60fps. Im thinking of going into Sekiro, but I missed it last time it was on sale cuz I got Ghost of Tsushima (Which I regret now lol). I saw some sick deflecting videos and I definitely want a bigger challenge.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
lady butterfly easy af breh

slash -> slash -> dodge

just spam it until she dies. you can do this and honestly not even get hit because she gets locked in to your rhythm

~

when you get to ashina seven spears just lock on and jump on his head and slash on your way down. you can spam that and not even get hit as well

a lot of the bosses have easy fixes like that. if you get stuck just cheese it there's no shame in it šŸ˜Œ

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
This makes me want to go back to it! I bailed some way after Lady Butterfly but I enjoyed my time with it so much more than Ghost of Tsushima and Jedi Fallen Order. I don't think I'm good at these games, especially as the only From game I've completed is Bloodborne, but everything in Sekiro felt so satisfying when it clicked.

Shin Kojima

Oct 27, 2017
if you get stuck just cheese it there's no shame in it šŸ˜Œ
I've noticed it's always the people who "cheese it" who are quick to point out that there's no shame in it, even before someone accuses them of it.
I'm not sure I've even seen someone who doesn't use such tactics use the word shameful to describe them.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
I've noticed it's always the people who "cheese it" who are quick to point out that there's no shame in it, even before someone accuses them of it.
I'm not sure I've even seen someone who doesn't use such tactics use the word shameful to describe them.
Gotta shut that shit down post haste šŸ˜Ž

OP
OP
pleaseinsertdisctwo
Oct 31, 2017
HOLY FUCK I BEAT OWL

I don't know how

I honestly wasn't aggressive I was too scared

The only time I ever attacked him was after his shuriken shuriken sword plunge combo

so it took quite a while

My heart was beating so fucking fast when he was close to being dead and I almost screwed up like 6 times lol

Holy fuck

The funny thing is I was like "eh lemme play Sekiro and die a couple more times and then play it again next week" but on my 2nd attempt I killed him!

BigDaddyCool

Nov 29, 2020
I don't feel you on needing some sort of guide to efficiently complete the game, but I'm glad you're enjoying it. Sekiro is a masterpiece.

I love entering an area with multiple enemies and planning an attack to take them out efficiently and stealthily. And if shit hits the fan you can just grapple and dip out. It's the true Shinobi experience.

Also, of course, the parrying and combat in general is amazing once it clicks. Such a great feeling. I felt vindicated the first time I beat the final boss after many attempts. That's what videogames are all about, climbing that mountain and looking back at the journey that led you to your goal.

Game of the gen!

Devil

Oct 25, 2017
Good that you eventually found the fun for you.

Be glad, the last boss is the absolute best boss of the game for me and maybe even the best From Soft boss ever.

Devil

Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna be frank im absolutely dreading it lol

I had more problems with Lady Butterfly (I probably went to her a little early) and another certain fight I'm not sure you have seen yet.

I needed less (still many) tries for the final boss but that one had just the perfect balance of losing, progress and eventual success. Also great atmosphere and fight choreography. For me at least, From bosses are always differently challenging depending on who you ask.

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
Butterfly is weird, she's crazy hard if try fighting her "legit", but very easy if you just dodge to the side often. Anyway glad you're enjoying it OP

Sarcastico

Oct 27, 2017
I love the aggressive play style in Sekiro, where every move can either be an attack, parry, or counter that damages enemy posture. Makes most of the encounters feel really intense and exciting.

OP
OP
pleaseinsertdisctwo
Oct 31, 2017
Sekiro is not Souls. Sekiro has well placed checkpoints, doesn't ask you to repeat large sections for no reason and doesnt have dick move gotcha moments.
Tbh early game those mini-bosses with tons of enemies surrounding them are incredibly annoying especially since you're still learning all the intricacies of the game

but I would say once I got to the first boss I stopped getting annoyed

there's some mini bosses with accompanying enemies but they're few in number and easy to dispatch

A vast majority of bosses and mini-bosses take like 5 seconds to get to if you die, though, yeah

I just wish load times were instant lol

But yeah in comparison to Dark Souls III. I gave up on that Witch boss. You HAVE to pass through this building with a shitload of enemies and it takes minutes each time. Absolutely annoying. I tried restarting as a mage but then I also realized that I just don't like the level design of the game. I've only visited like 4 areas and I've found each of them to be ridiculously annoying and unenjoyable. Sekiro, on the other hand: each location feels like a joy to explore.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2019
I'm happy you've turned around on it. I was absolutely obsessed with this game.

I started this game on 4:30 pm the 22nd of march when it was freshly released and I finished the game on the 24th of march at 2 am after being awake for like 42 hours straight and spending about 27.5 hours on the game with like 2 food breaks. I spend 4 hours trying to beat the sword saint himself to get the immortal severance ending after being awake for more than a day. It was nasty. Though for being relatively fast and without any guides whatsoever, I'm amazed at the stuff I managed to find. I even killed the carp and I tried to youtube it after and I couldn't find a single video about it.

I know, very, very unhealthy. But man this game had me by the balls.

OP
OP
pleaseinsertdisctwo
Oct 31, 2017
Ok I pretty much finished Fountainhead Palace minus 1 miniboss

Which basically means I'm technically almost done with the game

except not really lol ugh

I'm gonna probably kill any Headless that I missed

Plus I need to revisit Ashina Outskirts

and I need to kill Hirata Owl which will probably take a century

and THEN I need to tackle Ashina Castle again

so while I'm technically towards the end I feel like I probably have a while to go in terms of game time

I basically have 4 mini-bosses and 3 bosses left

Side note: kinda shocked I was able to kill the True Corrupted Monk and it only took me like I think 4 tries

Dlanor A. Knox

ā–² Legend ā–²
Apr 6, 2018
Hirata Owl was harder than the final boss for me

Demon of Hatred is hard because it's basically a souls boss, you have to play differently and dodge most of the time instead of parrying lmao

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
Demon of Hatred and Hirata Owl can kiss my ass UGHHHHHH

DoH is a wierd fight for me, I pretty much never parry in that one, I find it safer playing at a distance where the his fire side sweep doesn't hit me. I'm pretty much always running and punish the attack where he raises his fire arm and slams it into the ground (if you run right you can avoid it unless you're too close). I also use a few other openings to do damage but yeah, it's kind of annoying.

Hirata Owl seems really hard at the start but he gives you some pretty big openings, when he raises the sword with both hands dodge at the last second and you can use a powerful combat art like mortal draw or ashina cross to do good damage (you can still do them without emblems, they'll just do less damage). Also instead of using mikiri in his thrust attacks you can instead dodge to the side and do a combat art, depending if you want to focus on bringing his health down or posture.

OP
OP
pleaseinsertdisctwo
Oct 31, 2017
I know it only minimally helps and there's a soft cap at 14 but I got the Mask and I've been grinding and I'm at Attack Power 16.

Will I need to learn their moves anyways? Yes. Is the grinding pretty much kind of a waste of time? Yes. Will I still grind a little more to make myself feel better? Yes.

Actually tbh having higher attack power made me a little more confident to be more aggressive with Owl

it definitely makes the fight a lot faster but I'm a little too sloppy atm šŸ„“

OP
OP
pleaseinsertdisctwo
Oct 31, 2017
That's cheating the game, and also yourself

For real though it's a fun fight and I don't get the hate (pun intended) that it gets
It doesn't seem like that bad of a fight

I only tried it twice

I'm just intimidated bc I have no idea what to do and 3 health bar fights disgust me (also why I'm SO excited for the final boss)

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
It doesn't seem like that bad of a fight

I only tried it twice

I'm just intimidated bc I have no idea what to do and 3 health bar fights disgust me (also why I'm SO excited for the final boss)
Oh lol, I thought "kiss my ass" meant you beat them, was about to congratulate you... xD

DoH's attack patterns can be very intimidating, yeah. Even knowing them really well, I still often mess up and die. It's also a fairly long fight, probably the longest, so it's daunting. If you're interested in some tips about his moves, check out this threadmarked post from the OT, it can be really helpful.

OP
OP
pleaseinsertdisctwo
Oct 31, 2017
Oh lol, I thought "kiss my ass" meant you beat them, was about to congratulate you... xD

DoH's attack patterns can be very intimidating, yeah. Even knowing them really well, I still often mess up and die. It's also a fairly long fight, probably the longest, so it's daunting. If you're interested in some tips about his moves, check out this threadmarked post from the OT, it can be really helpful.
Oh I will

after I grind excessively only to shave off about 10 seconds of the fight

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Demon of Hatred isn't too bad, just have to play it like a Souls boss rather than a Sekiro boss.
Keep your distance, dodge attacks, and get 1-2 quick hits in when he leaves himself open before backing away again.

Owl 2 is the one I died against the most, easy 50+ deaths. Once I beat him I actually didn't find the final boss as bad. I'm actually puzzled how I see so many people here found him to be an impossible wall preventing them from finishing the game. He doesn't do anything Genichiro and Owl don't do, you just parry his posture gauge and then deathblow him, then in phase 3
do the lightning reversal just like in the Genichiro fight, which straight up kills him in 2-3 hits making it the quickest phase.

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
Oh I will

after I grind excessively only to shave off about 10 seconds of the fight
lol

How about grinding for money to buy tons of divine confetti instead? I'm reasonably sure the buff to your power is going to be stronger than the time spent on gaining a single attack point. Divine confetti boosts your attack power on regular enemies, and makes fights go down faster. It also stacks with Ako's Sugar/Spiritfall.

OP
OP
pleaseinsertdisctwo
Oct 31, 2017
lol

How about grinding for money to buy tons of divine confetti instead? I'm reasonably sure the buff to your power is going to be stronger than the time spent on gaining a single attack point. Divine confetti boosts your attack power on regular enemies, and makes fights go down faster. It also stacks with Ako's Sugar/Spiritfall.

..... I already have like 40 Divine Confettis saved up :p

They help in general too? I feel stupid for missing that. I thought they only helped for apparition type enemies

OP
OP
pleaseinsertdisctwo
Oct 31, 2017
Demon of Hatred isn't too bad, just have to play it like a Souls boss rather than a Sekiro boss.
Keep your distance, dodge attacks, and get 1-2 quick hits in when he leaves himself open before backing away again.

Owl 2 is the one I died against the most, easy 50+ deaths. Once I beat him I actually didn't find the final boss as bad. I'm actually puzzled how I see so many people here found him to be an impossible wall preventing them from finishing the game. He doesn't do anything Genichiro and Owl don't do, you just parry his posture gauge and then deathblow him, then in phase 3
do the lightning reversal just like in the Genichiro fight, which straight up kills him in 2-3 hits making it the quickest phase.
Don't give me hope

U also CONVENIENTLY left out your experience with Phase 4 which I'm sure is brutal

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
..... I already have like 40 Divine Confettis saved up :p

They help in general too? I feel stupid for missing that. I thought they only helped for apparition type enemies
Yeah, the game isn't super clear on that, but while it's primarily used against apparition types, it was confirmed by Reddit and various Wikis that it also does a moderate damage boost against regular enemies too.

OP
OP
pleaseinsertdisctwo
Oct 31, 2017
just make demon of hatred fall off the cliff

easy
"Sekiro EASY CHEESE method:

stand in this exact spot and look to the left twice and then crouch and jump while the boss is doing their SECOND thrust. Then lock-on and off 3 times while running past the tree with 7 roots sticking out on the left side from where you're facing. Then wait for it to come to this direction. Once it's about to thrust, lock-on and grapple onto the MIDDLE LEFT tree, and the then IMMEDIATELY grapple to the tree nearest to the boss and then back again to the middle left tree and then grapple onto the tree near the idol. Wait 3 seconds and then run to the ledge but DO NOT hop down, and FACE the boss. Once the perilous symbol shows up, turn around and wait for 4-5 seconds and hop down to the ledge and wait in this exact spot and do not move and he'll fall"

Sep 17, 2020
I started Sekiro on Friday, currently on last Fountainhead palace, pretty sure i'm close to the end.

Beating Genichiro on first try thanks to perfect deflects was when i realized this game was really clicking with me.

Screw the Guardian Ape though. I didn't die that many times (to him or to anyone, really) but i hated his second phase. Then i did the twin ape fight on first try, though i went into it super scared.

It's a great game.

OP
OP
pleaseinsertdisctwo
Oct 31, 2017
I started Sekiro on Friday, currently on last Fountainhead palace, pretty sure i'm close to the end.

Beating Genichiro on first try thanks to perfect deflects was when i realized this game was really clicking with me.

Screw the Guardian Ape though. I didn't die that many times (to him or to anyone, really) but i hated his second phase. Then i did the twin ape fight on first try, though i went into it super scared.

It's a great game.
Wtf

I feel like people are a lot faster than me at this game

I'm baffled by how many people complain that it's "short" for one

I have 63 hours now

I'll be stuck on these last 3 bosses for a while

danhz

Apr 20, 2018
Wtf

I feel like people are a lot faster than me at this game

I'm baffled by how many people complain that it's "short" for one

I have 63 hours now

I'll be stuck on these last 3 bosses for a while
Shield prosthetic really helped me with DoHatred and last final boss. I finished them 1 week ago and while my first impression was wtf were they thinking with this, it's doable, I just had a few problems with some kanji attacks that I ended up shielding.
Good luck with them don't desperate!

Jamaro

Oct 27, 2017
Stopped reading at dying to Lady Butterfly 50-60 times to say I know the feeling. I don't know if it was that many for me but it certainly felt like several dozen. But once it clicks, man, it's not by luck that you get that first victory and you feel like you could beat her repeatedly after that if needed.

neatsaux

Nov 11, 2018
red room
glad you like it. i dropped the game soon after it came out because i couldn't beat genichiro. when i realized he had a second (third?) phase, i just gave up despite loving all the FROM games.

rebought it a week or two ago, got stuck at genichiro again, and last night i finally defeated him. that was a rush, i jumped out of my seat lmao. game owns. takes patience, no doubt.. but i what i love about the game and all their games is that it forces you to learn and forces you to literally get good. everyone can get it eventually, and it feels damn good when you do

Necron

ā–² Legend ā–²
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Remember: hesitation is defeat
._."

453.jpg