• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
so awards mean more than a critical aggregate? maybe as a means to argue opinions if it ultimately fits their own, if it means that much to someone lol
"see! its not a 10 because it didn't win best game at Super Game Award show!"

Chalfonts

Banned
Apr 3, 2018
GOW will win
  • Third person
  • "Cinematic"
  • Parent/Child relationship
  • Critically acclaimed
It's the videogame equivalent of oscar bait

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've always felt that this argument that "People are just hyped now, eventually they'll come around", to be one of the shallowest in basically any form of gaming discussions.

It's a Diet Coke argument, you pull out when you have nothing of value to say,

TinTuba47

Nov 14, 2017
I started a second play through on hard this morning, lost three hours and had a blast

I think the gameplay is fun, above all else. It runs well, looks great and has a lot to dig into in regards to combat

I think it'll be well-regarded for years; this isn't a GTA4 situation where the gameplay isn't that great but people are blinded by the spectacle. Mechanically it's great. More fun than the previous games in the series

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ugh I'm soooo sick of "Dad movie game with dumb child". We have had The Last of Us, Logan, the Road and GOW. And that's just in the last 12 years! That's like 1 every 3 years. I preferred when GOW was in the untouched genre of "angry, capable loner". Lucky RDR2 will bring in the fresh new perspective of "mercenary leader with a mysterious past."

Logan and The Road are movies, not games. Even then, The Road released a decade ago, and features a completely different type of relationship and narrative to Logan. Likewise, as far as video games go, the relationships and overall story in The Last of Us and God of War are also a world apart.

Surprised it's this type of narrative of all narratives you're sick of, and not marine soldier number one million and one, taking on badguys who are threatening peace in the world or galaxy for the millionth time in a game.

Last edited:

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Just like how I thought botw was a solid 8, god of war is also a solid 8 for me. Both weren't/aren't gonna be my GOTY.

Can't wait sequels to both of these games though so they can build on the strengths of these titles.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
Uncharted 4 is fantastic and one of the best on the system. The vocal minority that likes to pile on it absolutely does not represent the 10M or so people who bought it.

Angel DvA

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
GOW is a solid 7/10, I kinda like the game though, I didn't follow any of the marketing and was hype by press review score and early Era thoughts about the game but it was disappointing at the end for me, overrated for sure.

Uncharted 4 is fantastic and one of the best on the system. The vocal minority that likes to pile on it absolutely does not represent the 10M or so people who bought it.

The famous vocal minority...

Bran Van

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Logan and The Road are movies, not games. Even then, The Road released a decade ago, and features a completely different type of relationship and narrative to Logan. Likewise, as far as video games go, the relationships and overall story in The Last of Us and God of War are also a world apart.

Surprised it's this type of narrative of all narratives you're sick of, and not marine soldier number one million and one, taking on badguys who are threatening peace in the world or galaxy for the millionth time in a game.
I thought it was obvious sarcasm, guess I should have used the /s

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It seems to be this years breath of the wild . You either think it is Jesus second coming and if you talk shit you're insane.

Me personally I played about 7-10 hours and dropped GoW. I wanted to love it but it did nothing for me. The pacing and gameplay loop just didn't reel me in. I get why others like it though .

To each his own.

how far did you get? I know you put the hours there but the beginning part of the game kind of sucks and even after it's still more of a slog than it should have been with faint glimmers of awesomeness. then it gets good

Phrozenflame500

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I doubt public opinion towards God of War will shift that much. Like maybe some of the exaggerated best game ever takes will calm down, but the game has a strong foundation of good gameplay and well-written characters that carry it for most of it's run-time and I can't see that deteriorating.

Bran Van

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
10 has never meant perfect to me. It means that it has set a new benchmark in whatever it is trying to do

There is no such thing as perfect when gamers are so varied in their expectation of what makes a game great.

Something like Detroit could be a 10 because delivers on everything it sets out for - story, choices, cinematic, puzzles etc. doesn't mean it will appeal to me but I also won't argue it doesn't deserve a 10 for what it does in its genre

Deleted member 11943

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not a 10 on release. It's not that great? But it is great.

The feeling I get at the end of some of the better Yakuza or MGS games is the height of what the medium has to offers. GOW is never intriguing and ends flat. It satisfies like a Marvel movie.

EekumBokum

Oct 25, 2017
There are always people that will disagree on the reception of a well received game. It happened with BOTW, it's happening with GOW, and it will happen with RDR2. What's most important is how you feel about the game. BOTW and GOW are 10/10 for me, idc what anyone else says. I suspect a similar personal feeling with RDR2.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, it's vocal minority being vocal. Happens on every critically acclaimed game.
10 has never meant perfect to me. It means that it has set a new benchmark in whatever it is trying to do

There is no such thing as perfect when gamers are so varied in their expectation of what makes a game great.
This was always the case on every review, I don't know where people get this 10 should be perfect, nothing is because every review is subjective. This isn't a test where there are objectively correct decision and answers.

Bitterman

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
If GOW dominates goty awards this year, then its going to be a very sad year for videogames indeed.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
My only complaint with the game is that it feels padded at parts. As soon as you're about to do something the game stops and goes "oh wait to do that you need these two things and to get those two things you need to get this thing". The game would be like 4 hours if they didn't have roadblocks anytime Kratos was about to do something.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
RDR2 will clean up due to hype & sales alone, GOW could very well end up like Horizon Zero Dawn when it comes to awards.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
I've always felt that this argument that "People are just hyped now, eventually they'll come around", to be one of the shallowest in basically any form of gaming discussions.

It's a Diet Coke argument, you pull out when you have nothing of value to say,
There is examples of it like Bioshock Infinite, everyone saying it was the best game of all time, then a few months later the general reception was more meh.

gfxtwin

Use of alt account
Oct 28, 2017
GOW will still win some awards, but Red Dead is gonna wipe everyone's mental hard drives of every other game for a couple months at least

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
are you.......just describing almost every novel, tv show and games ever?

I just feel like in GoW it's more pronounced. It blueballs you the entire game. Even after getting the two items and you're about to setoff the game then blocks you once more to get another magical item. I would of preferred more story and less padding. I was thinking the game would truly "start" once we get to the mountain and dump the ashes. Instead it was the opposite.

It's still a 10/10 for me despite those issues.

EekumBokum

Oct 25, 2017
The only bait and switch that annoyed me in GOW was when
you had to get Mimir's 2nd eye.
Why did they only remember when you get to the realm travel room? The summit trips could also have been shorter.

Animagne

Oct 27, 2017
I thought GoW was great, but a little overhyped. Then I finished platinum amd now I just hate how they did collectibles. I can't believe how such short platinum killed my interest in this game this fast. Same thing happened to me with BotW Master Mode and it's paper weapons. Since I now don't like it anymore, it will probably win most GotYs.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
Videogames are a form of art. Applying a numerical grade to it just seems trite. The real judgment is over time and on that merit I think it will be remembered as a classic.

lordlad

Banned for trolling with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Singapore
what's up with all the blind faith with RDR2?

i mean...GRRM did wrote game of thrones and clash of kings but he also wrote feast for crows and dance with dragons...

be forewarned. excellent precedence doesn't make guaranteed perfect sequels. Even Miyamoto and Miyazaki produced some duds in their lifetime.

And The Godfather Part 3 did came after The Godfather Part 2

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
what's up with all the blind faith with RDR2?

i mean...GRRM did wrote game of thrones and clash of kings but he also wrote feast for crows and dance with dragons...

be forewarned. excellent precedence doesn't make guaranteed perfect sequels.
GTA4 imo was painfully mediocre, but everyone acted like it was the second coming, RDR2 could be even worse, but people will praise it because of brand name & hype alone.
Im sure RDR2 will be great though, 90% sure, but yeah hype blinds people.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Ignore this. It's the same kind of thing that was said for BotW last year. Some people are just salty at a game they personally don't like being well received, and need validation for their opinion by pretending that they are right, and everyone else is either slowly coming around to agreeing with them, or will soon enough (it's, again, something that happens with BotW a lot).
First post nails it

lordlad

Banned for trolling with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Singapore
GTA4 imo was painfully mediocre, but everyone acted like it was the second coming, RDR2 could be even worse, but people will praise it because of brand name & hype alone.
my mantra in life. Nothing is absolute. Even Picasso produced some duds...

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

GTA is the only game I can remember where a larger pool of gamers opposed the critical consensus, and it certainly didn't need any honeymoon period to end for that to kick in. Many were disappointed right off the bat.

Regarding some of the other games you mentioned, I think it's largerly just a vocal minority making the perception and reception seem worse than it actually is. I personally loved Bioshock Infinite and still do, and felt its narrative and ending was powerful and poignant. Ultimately though, the game came out in the same year as The Last of Us and Grand Theft Auto V, two unbelievable and even more critically acclaimed games, so it was always going to get less love than its initial critical buzz may have implicated.

Lilo_D

Oct 29, 2017
Remind me of Botw a year ago, but yeah people should realize there is no "perfection" in the world

Enzo88

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
I really liked it and i rank it as a 9/10, but some people really got carried away by the hype, as usual. Still, It's really good and will be a front-runner for goty even at the end of the year (my personal goty is still Into the Breach though).

Status
Not open for further replies.