• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Guys, there's not guarantee that rdr2 wouldn't win the most goty awards yet.

GtaV won 2013 vga award but tlou beat it with the most award by the media. And people generally consider tlou to win that year.

Gow might have won TGA GOTY, but the jury's still out for the overall winner, although currently it's leading, it's still way too early to call or final.

I just wonder if some will move post goals if RDR2 takes the crown with most awards like they did with Uncharted 4. We often see people bringing Overwatch to the discussion when talking about 2016 GOTY even tho Uncharted got more awards in the long run just cause Overwatch won at the TGA.
Now that God of War won at TGA people that don't accept it are eagerly waiting for other awards because...reasons.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
I really disagree. One of the more common criticisms is the lack of huge boss battles full of spectacle, and another persistent criticism is how poorly the game justifies your goals changing all the time in the narrative.

The core gameplay and level design are the best things about it.
I guess characters (and their interactions) plus presentation would be a better way of putting it. The story is a tale as old as time itself (angry old dude is retired with family, but now his violent past is brought to the forefront once more), but I have only praise for the way it's been executed so far. The interactions between Kratos and Atreus were obviously something they focused immensely on getting right during development, and they passed with flying colors. I've been pleasantly surprised with how many environmental interactions there are between the duo, and what seems to be a gradual build towards climactic occurrences.

People wanted more boss fights rife with spectacle? Huh. I can't say I enjoyed that one against the tattooed stranger at the start very much. Visually stunning, to be sure, but the gameplay was extremely shallow when you strip away that veneer. The "hold forward to dramatically slow walk back home" after was a step too far especially. During the fight, I could hardly tell when the gameplay began and ended. Part of the downside to doing an entire game with only subtle, cinematic transitions, I guess.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
GOW isn't a 10, it has its flaws, mostly the gear and crafting system which just seems like a waste on initial playthrough. Enemy variety and playing through the same areas over and over again. The biggest sin is the "that's it?" Moment in the game.

All in all it has just as many flaws as the other GOTY games. (Spider-Man, RDR2) The novelty of it just wore off much quickly than the others.

As far as GOTY Awards, it seems like people don't think the awards mean anything until the game they like wins.

When RDR2 was winning all night "these awards mean nothing" when GOW wins GOTY "See I told you it was the best game this year this award means everything"

Furisco

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
EI think will be Read dead that will be getting the this is not a 10 treatment. For His favor the game launched recently so He is still fresh in their mind, but if Read dead was released in May would be more criticised.
Neither GoW nor RDR2 are 10/10's

They're both good games where it's flaws are overlooked cause gigantic production levels and hype.

Nov 18, 2017
For me personally it isn't a 10. It stumbles in the final third for the reasons outlined elsewhere. It's a strong 8 or 9. I preferred Spider-man. Each to their own.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
The way the Lake of Nine opens more and more as you progress and how it's all connected from the start is pretty impressive, to me. Even if the connections are mostly useless.

Exploration in God of War is very rewarding, in my opinion. I did 100% twice, even though I already got the Platinum on my first playthrough.
I see, and I kind of disagree. Metroidvania games or Souls games do this a lot better, you play for hours and then discover a shortcut to an older area or the hub area, sometimes even a hidden one. On the other hand, most of the areas that connect to the lake are basically disguised corridors with one entrance and one exit. What you described is what I expected the game to be, and I ended up disappointed with this aspect. There are useless shortcuts in the same areas, this I agree, but compared to BB, Metroid Prime, or other adventure/action 3D games, I think that GoW feels like a linear game with 3-4 "open" spaces that you can explore with the boat.

Oct 25, 2017
I see, and I kind of disagree. Metroidvania games or Souls games do this a lot better, you play for hours and then discover a shortcut to an older area or the hub area, sometimes even a hidden one. On the other hand, most of the areas that connect to the lake are basically disguised corridors with one entrance and one exit. What you described is what I expected the game to be, and I ended up disappointed with this aspect. There are useless shortcuts in the same areas, this I agree, but compared to BB, Metroid Prime, or other adventure/action 3D games, I think that GoW feels like a linear game with 3-4 "open" spaces that you can explore with the boat.
I mean, sure, compared to some of the games with the best level design in the industry it's not great, I won't disagree with you there. :P

But if that's the bare minimum to be praised for level design, then we might as well ignore that aspect when discussing any game that isn't one of the greatest ever created.

Tezza

Nov 15, 2017
Generally speaking, being trusting toward mainstream opinion has served me pretty well this gen, in regards to the major PS4 games. Loved Second Son, Horizon, and Spider-Man, to name a few. That's why I thought God of War would be another to add to that list. What I didn't account for were the structural similarities to Uncharted and The Last of Us, which GoW draws quite a bit of design philosophy from. I'm just not ready to go back to that type of thing at the moment. It's my own fault for not doing a bit more research.

Fair enough, I agree about the design philosophy, that's one of the reasons I enjoyed GoW based on the similarities that you mentioned. I would recommend that you come back to it later, as you might enjoy it more then.

GoW has it's problems, which I feel people ignore, but it's a good game, and hopefully you enjoy as much as others did.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
I mean, sure, compared to some of the games with the best level design in the industry it's not great, I won't disagree with you there. :P

But if that's the bare minimum to be praised for level design, then we might as well ignore that aspect when discussing any game that isn't one of the greatest ever created.
You have a point here. Maybe my disappointment was on the limited traversal/puzzles and how the non-linear gameplay that the game offers from time to time doesn't benefit the game that much. I'd sacrifice the optional areas and loot/crafting if that means better bosses, more enemy variety and more spectacle. And the last thing I want from GoW 2 is the return of the no-cuts nonsense.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
10 doesn't mean perfect, it means it's a masterclass/excellent. That's been the case with most, if not all, outlet. It's the same with any reviews on other media.

Status
Not open for further replies.