• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
That is a difficult question. I was really curious to see how it is generally done in the industry when I first encountered the problem, but I couldn't find anything solid back then.

So far, it has worked like this:
- First, we get all the required data from the publisher
- Then we try to get an overview of the codebase and determine what is necessary and desirable for the PC port
- We put those necessary and desirable requirements and features into work packages (which group related tasks)
- For each of those packages, we try to put them into broad categories of how much work we expect them to take (the smallest is 1 or 2 person-business-days, the largest is 1 or 2 person-months -- if it's more than that the package is too large)
- We take an average time in working hours for each package category, sum it up over all packages, multiply that by a hourly rate, and add some buffer to that to hopefully cover unforeseen issues, QA, and post-release support

This has the advantage of hopefully eliminating bad surprises for us (and whoever is offering the contract!), and arriving at a fair rate. But it also means some significant work before knowing whether you'll actually do the project, especially if it's a custom engine. Since just getting to the part where you can do even rough effort estimates with at least some confidence can require a full week or more of time investment. It also requires a good level of experience, and even so it relies on human estimates of software project timelines so it's far from infallible ;)

Charge the companies for a quote - scalable so have a very quick consult for free and get a high level view of the time/effort needed for a proper quote and charge for it

Make sure your costs are reasonable - see if you can find out what reasonable costs are in comparable SW engineering companies.

Consider asking for percentage of revenue to build up some continuous revenue

Oh and congrats!

Deleted member 21

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Considering the quality of your work, this was only a matter of time. Congrats Durante; PC gaming just got a bit better 👍

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
Charge the companies for a quote - scalable so have a very quick consult for free and get a high level view of the time/effort needed for a proper quote and charge for it
Yeah, that's actually exactly what we plan to do. It's not sustainable with a larger volume of potential projects to provide a binding quote for free (if you don't just want to guess that is).

Thanks for the other advice as well!

OskarXCI

Nov 11, 2018
Congratulations to your success.

Weren't you (Durante) involved with the PC port of Little King's Story?

Digoman

Oct 27, 2017
Posted on MC but I should also show my appreciation here. Congratulations! Best of the luck and thank you for all you done to the PC platform.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
Congratulations to your success.

Weren't you (Durante) involved with the PC port of Little King's Story?
I was contacted by XSEED to improve it after it was already out for a while. I fixed some severe stutter issues with it, improved the rendering quality, and fixed several gameplay issues of the port, particularly at 60 FPS. (But it's still far from ideal)

This was actually my first professional programming work specifically on a game (and independently), and I really have to thank Ken from XSEED for trusting a random modder sufficiently to hand over the source like that.

Good of you to ask!

We plan for all our software to be available exclusively in the upcoming PH3 store, just as soon as we put the finishing touches on our state-of-the-art client.
(An electron app with an embedded web browser that allows you to download .exes; by removing distractions like friend lists, community features, reviews or mods from the equation you can be more focused on the things that truly matter -- the games! -- than on any competing platform)

Last edited:

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
Hot damn, god speed my friend.

I know it's been said 1,000 times but seriously thank you for saving Dark Souls PC.
To this day I still consider Prepare to Die + DSfix to be the best version of Dark Souls, even better than the ''Remastered''.

Oct 25, 2017
The sad part is presumably we can't expect any fixes of games when Durante feels like doing them. Now he has his own business he'll have to think about that first and he won't want publishers thinking he'll come along and fix their stuff for free.

Anyway, best of luck to them. The more quality porting studios out there the better.

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
He didn't port Dark Souls lol weird to put that in the title for a mod of it, his actual port works are on the website

Last edited:

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago

Arkanius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was contacted by XSEED to improve it after it was already out for a while. I fixed some severe stutter issues with it, improved the rendering quality, and fixed several gameplay issues of the port, particularly at 60 FPS. (But it's still far from ideal)

This was actually my first professional programming work specifically on a game (and independently), and I really have to thank Ken from XSEED for trusting a random modder sufficiently to hand over the source like that.

Good of you to ask!

We plan for all our software to be available exclusively in the upcoming PH3 store, just as soon as we put the finishing touches on our state-of-the-art client.
(An electron app with an embedded web browser that allows you to download .exes; by removing distractions like friend lists, community features, reviews or mods from the equation you can be more focused on the things that truly matter -- the games! -- than on any competing platform)

I can't know anymore these days if this is sarcasm or not :(

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
I can't know anymore these days if this is sarcasm or not :(
Sorry, I guess I should be more responsible in my posting now ;)

If we ever release our own consumer software (where we make the distribution decisions) it will be available in whatever form is most convenient and satisfying to most of the people actually buying it. (And right now and for the foreseeable future this would mean putting PC games and any PC-gaming-related software on Steam)

Oct 27, 2017
Good of you to ask!

h1B0F3E82

AlanOC91

Owner of YGOPRODeck.com
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Congrats Durante!
I always appreciated that you always took time out to answer questions to people here (including myself). I've always gotten a response shortly after asking you something directly.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Enough congrats, let's let Durante get back to work on that Demon's Souls quote :-)

Last edited: