• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Nothing is lost by having options.

Being forced to just play team modes limits what Apex is capable of to a large number of players who want to play something without having their experience influenced by teammates.

Solos mode can work in Apex. If EA wants to ignore free money on the table, fine, but there are tons of players who prefer solos and like Apex Legends gameplay.

I'd like Apex to do a Solos mode using generic pilots/heroes, and with no abilities, except maybe as lootable powerups. I think they can add something that maintains their uniqueness (high speed arena-FPS BR game, with high TTK and abilities)

A solos mode that takes out respawning but includes wall running and titans would be...amazing. Lol

OtterX

Mar 12, 2020
Again, why would a user who desires not trio's care about that?
Well, duos is happening no matter what I think, but it's important for games to keep an identity. I don't like building in Fortnite, but I'm not about to demand that Epic create a separate mode just for me to suit my preferred play style that gives me a better chance of winning.

I won't stop playing Apex because I had some bad teammates, but I will if it starts taking too long to find a game because the player base is dispersed across 5-6 different modes.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hell yeah, I've been waiting for this to play again. Only playing when duos was available was lame.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
A solos mode that takes out respawning but includes wall running and titans would be...amazing. Lol
Just imagine how perfect it would be:

-Speed ramps around the map, or jump pads placed around key areas. Just a bunch of ideas to increase speed.

-Customizable Titanfall pilots to play as (Apex can then sell even more cosmetics). Or just giving us the existing Legends without their abilities

-Bunch of equipment like grapples, smoke launchers, phase shifts, etc. to make the combat more strategic, but not limited to a hero pick.

-The thrill of using the existing speed/gameplay to dodge in and out of combat, WITHOUT being slowed down by revives or playing around banners or teammates. Just speeding through the map, getting instant kills without needing to finish off enemies. It would speed up the game and make it a lot more frenetic.

It would completely refresh Apex and open up the audience to a ton of new players.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Well, duos is happening no matter what I think, but it's important for games to keep an identity. I don't like building in Fortnite, but I'm not about to demand that Epic create a separate mode just for me to suit my preferred play style that gives me a better chance of winning.

I won't stop playing Apex because I had some bad teammates, but I will if it starts taking too long to find a game because the player base is dispersed across 5-6 different modes.

There's quickplay and ranked. And finally duos. 5-6 modes??

OtterX

Mar 12, 2020
There's quickplay and ranked. And finally duos. 5-6 modes??
If everyone had their way, there will be even more modes. Apex, ranked, duos, solos, ranked duos, ranked solos, worlds edge ranked, kings canyon ranked, etc...

-Speed ramps around the map, or jump pads placed around key areas. Just a bunch of ideas to increase speed.

-Customizable Titanfall pilots to play as (Apex can then sell even more cosmetics). Or just giving us the existing Legends without their abilities

-Bunch of equipment like grapples, smoke launchers, phase shifts, etc. to make the combat more strategic, but not limited to a hero pick.

-The thrill of using the existing speed/gameplay to dodge in and out of combat, WITHOUT being slowed down by revives or playing around banners or teammates. Just speeding through the map, getting instant kills without needing to finish off enemies. It would speed up the game and make it a lot more frenetic.

It would completely refresh Apex and open up the audience to a ton of new players.
You know, it'd be even COOLER if you could call in these giant robots from orbit and you could get inside them and shoot things...

Sounds like you guys want to play Titanfall 2.

Why do people keep thinking we have to use the legends? We've already seen them use crash test dummies with their own abilities. It's far from impossible for Respawn to just opt you to crash test dummies with whatever other abilities they've probably discussed to fit solos. Only other mechanic to worry about would be respawning, but I'd imagine the developers can figure that out too.
Yeah, lets play Apex LEGENDS, but without the Legends!

At what point do they just need to make a different game?

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
If everyone had their way, there will be even more modes. Apex, ranked, duos, solos, ranked duos, ranked solos, worlds edge ranked, kings canyon ranked, etc...

You know, it'd be even COOLER if you could call in these giant robots from orbit and you could get inside them and shoot things...

Why are you gatekeeping? No one is asking for an insane number of splits, just reasonable, meaningful additions that could add more to the game. I want Apex Legends, which is based on Titanfall, to have a Solos mode that would inherently be faster.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, lets play Apex LEGENDS, but without the Legends!

At what point do they just need to make a different game?

So you're just randomly coming up with some scenario in your head that they'll add more than 3 modes when we're FINALLY getting a permanent third mode over a whole year later? Until we actually get more than 5 modes then by all means complain about the community being fragmented when we can actually see how bad the load times get.

The identity of Apex is completely Titanfall based and you think it's weird that they could possibly add pilots or a mech as a special playlist? We've been getting guns and references from TF the entire time. Is there a particular reason why dummies and or pilots wouldn't be considered "legends"? They literally would have their own unique abilities and ults specifically for solos. They could be the most barebone abilities that wouldn't help in team play in ANY way and people itt will still prefer it because we don't wanna play with randoms. Nobody plays TF2 anymore because...it's not BR, the player count is low and...there's no solos.

If you want your team play then que into team play. I'm sure you'll find plenty of like minded players that prefer that.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
It's a great game and it's even getting better. I like they adding a (new/old) mode permanently.

The problem with trios is that as soon as I play with a buddy and the third guy decides to go wherever the fuck he wants and drops with all the other squads and wants to gamble away the round, we practically may decide: a) go with him and take the gamble, which means the round can be over in 30 sec, or b) fuck him, drop somewhere else and safe but play the rest of the round 2vs3 in many cases. Either way, our odds are screwed just because one dude decides for his own and the whole squad without consideration.

Or when the third guy dictates where to go by simply marching off and you stick with him not because it's a wise way or a good locations he's running to but because you don't want your odds going from shite to utter shite.

I still enjoy trios and playing with randoms most of the time. Yet I really like to have the option to just play with my buddy and don't have to care about anyone else.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
How feasible would it be if the game had some huge overhaul Fortnite 2 style that was secretly TF3? Lol. In a just world.

Mr_DyZ

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 12, 2019
Warzone has like 5-6 other modes coming, most of which are probably permanent.

Why it took Respawn this long to realize that people want permanent options is mind boggling.

Mubrik_

Dec 7, 2017

Honestly, this doesn't sound exciting to me one bit.

Getting instant kills and blitzing through the map seems like a warzone thing except for tweaking the respawn formula (I feel the time limit isn't necessary but it adds to gameplay) I'd rather not have any of that in the game.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017

How does a duos queue affect the identity? The gameplay and mechanics are still the same.

Mubrik_

Dec 7, 2017
It's a great game and it's even getting better. I like they adding a (new/old) mode permanently.

The problem with trios is that as soon as I play with a buddy and the third guy decides to go wherever the fuck he wants and drops with all the other squads and wants to gamble away the round, we practically may decide: a) go with him and take the gamble, which means the round can be over in 30 sec, or b) fuck him, drop somewhere else and safe but play the rest of the round 2vs3 in many cases. Either way, our odds are screwed just because one dude decides for his own and the whole squad without consideration.

Or when the third guy dictates where to go by simply marching off and you stick with him not because it's a wise way or a good locations he's running to but because you don't want your odds going from shite to utter shite.

I still enjoy trios and playing with randoms most of the time. Yet I really like to have the option to just play with my buddy and don't have to care about anyone else.

Fair point.

As someone who plays solo and with a buddy sometimes, it's a mixed bag for me.

There are times when I end up with a two man party (ps4 party) that will decide to forgo communication with me entirely, I could be jump master and they both decide to drop solo without even giving me a heads up on where to drop, some will drop in the same area get into a fight get downed and start pinging crazy.
Or when they decide to land in scanty loot area (trainyard or mirage) to get quick kills or most of the time get killed themselves then just back out immediately.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
The game was designed for 3 person squads and for people to work together as a team, unlike other BR games. Everyone wants solos too, which would absolutely make the game something it wasn't designed to become.

Why does it matter if it does if that in turn lets more people enjoy it?

They aren't stripping away the other modes. In games that require coordination and team work to be successful consistently having team mates you cant do that with is frustrating. Some people want more options.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That cutscene has a cool Bloodhound skin and I'd use that one if it was available.

JustinBB7

Nov 16, 2017
Really liked apex for a long time, but took a break and then they said it would come to steam early 2020. It's April and no signs of it. And now Warzone is out and more fun. so not sure if I'll go back or not. Duo's is cool though since I only have 1 friend to play with, hopefully Warzone adds a perma duo mode as well.

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
Time to reinstall. It absolutely sucked that I couldn't play with my friend since the third random person would never survive more than three minutes and if they did then it'd be on the other side of the map.

You guys don't have to stop playing 3vs3. I swear, some of you just hate options.
Some people love gatekeeping so much, it's embarrassing.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, this doesn't sound exciting to me one bit.

Getting instant kills and blitzing through the map seems like a warzone thing except for tweaking the respawn formula (I feel the time limit isn't necessary but it adds to gameplay) I'd rather not have any of that in the game.
Insta killed as in u dont get downed, u just die.

you still have high ttk

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Shit happens? Duos aren't going to fix bad teammates, they'll make bad teammates more of a problem.
The poster you're speaking to specifically is saying they have one other buddy they play with (i.e. talk with in party chat and coordinate with), and having a random third wheel is killing their enjoyment.

Duos is something that has been requested by the community for a long time, and has been popular as a LTM previously.
Coordinated teams of 2 makes for quite a different dynamic than 3. It's much tighter. You have to pick your battles more carefully, because being 3rd partied is much more dangerous when there's one man less watching your back.

Dorfdad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You get a bunch of kills in war zone cause the ttk is much lower.

Had 9 in a match the other day.

that what keeps me playing when I plays BR and it's 30-45 mins long and I get 1-2 kills per game because everyone is campy I lose interest. Having 8-9 kills per game make me feel so much better even if I lose! This is why I lived titanfall even if I sucked I felt like I did something kills bots etc...

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Nothing is lost by having options.

Being forced to just play team modes limits what Apex is capable of to a large number of players who want to play something without having their experience influenced by teammates.

Solos mode can work in Apex. If EA wants to ignore free money on the table, fine, but there are tons of players who prefer solos and like Apex Legends gameplay.

I'd like Apex to do a Solos mode using generic pilots/heroes, and with no abilities, except maybe as lootable powerups. I think they can add something that maintains their uniqueness (high speed arena-FPS BR game, with high TTK and abilities)
Basically all this, but especially the bolded. I really hope Respawn is working on something like this behind the scenes.

ThisIsMyLife

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 16, 2020
England
Cod and Warzones mentality in a nut shell is basically to hold your hand and try and help you win. If you die? So what have fun at the Gulag and have another chance! your friends can bring you back with money! There's only one way up this building so just camp the stairs and aim down sight with a shotgun! Here, buy your loadout so you can go back to your comfortable safe space mentality!

Every. Single. Thing. In Warzone is designed to help casuals win. This is why you hear people on here, on Reddit, in real life say how they have more fun on Warzone because they 'can get loads of kills,' without realising the game has such a low TTK, and the game is designed to give the 'camper' the advantage. It's genius really when you think about it.

Now I have over 1,100 wins on Apex so what I'm going to say below I believe I have a strong opinion on it:

Now Respawn must be worried. They must be seeing their numbers drop. Because simply put, Apex is the damn opposite of a casual BR. It's by nature very competitive, which is very cool and all, my friends who are Cod vets and can drop 30/40 kills in Cod can't get 1 or 2 kills in Apex, because the game forces you to think outside the box. Anyone can flank and be anywhere, you can't kill your enemies in 3 bullets, even if you got lucky you've got their 2 squamates right behind them, you can't camp the stairs because there's 4 different ways to get into that building. You can't buy your loadout, you have to scavenge and fight a team with a good loadout with your crappy guns and win out of skill.

It's a very different beast and in my opinion is actually Apex downfall. The game is TOO competitive that the skill gap is so huge that the developers had to implement very very strong skill based matchmaking. So much that all the pros and top 10% of players are ALWAYS playing against each other. Otherwise a single squad can roll into a casual lobby and not just do good, but absolutely massacre the whole lobby.

So what now? I genuinely believe that Respawn are slowly losing the casual playerbase to Warzone and other games, which means even more stricter SBMM, which means an even more tougher experience for the people who had to 'get gud', this is why they're implementing Duos, after being adamant about not adding it for a whole year, anyways saying it will split up the playerbase, it's not how the game is intended to be played etc etc etc. Warzone has forced their hand to fix up. And this is why competition is a beautiful thing.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
i occasionally play an overwatch clone on my phone that has a br mode that works exactly like this (start off as a generic soldier, can pick up the main mode heroes as powerups out on the map) & its pretty neat. wouldnt mind playing an apex version of it

ThisIsMyLife

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 16, 2020
England
Adding Titans in the game would ruin it. Even the Respawn devs said it would ruin the balance of the game.

Also, they tried wall running in this game but it made the game too unpredictable. That's the reason why Titanfall lost its casual playerbase in 3 months, because 'skill-full' abilities like wallrunning is simply too complex for casuals. Now just imagine 60 people doing it on a map.

Not only that, just imagine 60 really skill-full players doing it.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Christ people care way too much about this shit. Duos is cool, Trios too. Eyyyyy.

Hawkster

Alt account
Banned
Mar 23, 2019
If people are really that desperate for Pilots and Titans in Apex, why not play Titanfall 2's Multiplayer instead?

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
My brother an I might pick this up again. We got tired of having to either babysit a random kid, or babysit a random adult with anger management issues.

Our best games were the ones where our third ran off on their own.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
One of the strenghts of Apex is it's teamwork focus. Yeah, not always you get good teammates, but in solos you will not always get good lood, etc. I rather have duos and trios than solos. I really don't care about Solos BR

ryan299

Oct 25, 2017
I took it as the map rotation being permanent and duos is only part of this event going on.
Maybe they worded it weird as they say duos is coming as well as a permanent map rotation.

o Tesseract

Oct 28, 2017
It really feels like people saying "solos won't work it's a team-based game!!!!" probably were not playing the game when solos was actually live. For me that was easily the time in which I enjoyed the game the most, other than the launch window where I actually had people I know to play the game with.

Duos is awesome and I am glad we are also getting map rotation. But I would LOVE to see solos worked into the game as well. Even as it was during the Iron Crown event.

Yeah yeah, "you can play other games if you want a solo experience", but Respawn has IMO the best FPS gameplay on the market right now, so, I WISH I could play Apex in solos. And many feel the same.

Also see a lot of people saying that duos is not good for the game as well. Also must be people who don't play much I reckon. A ton of the remaining player base is probably filled with folks who only have 1 other friend to play with. If you queue into trios, you'll get a dumb random who won't play the team and who will actively try to fuck your game over, or worse, just get themselves killed within seconds. You're then left to 2v3 the lobby. Being outnumbered at all times fucking sucks, especially in a game that has a high TTK and lots of mobility options.

Tango-Pirate

Oct 29, 2017
UK
I can't ever see them adding solos permanently unless the game really tanks and they are desperate.

Duos is the right way to go as it try's to split the difference. It means the chance of one less idiot on your team but if your Duos team mate does turn out to be a potato, going 1v2 against another team is way more manageable than 1v3

OP
OP
PROh1bited

PROh1bited

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Cod and Warzones mentality in a nut shell is basically to hold your hand and try and help you win. If you die? So what have fun at the Gulag and have another chance! your friends can bring you back with money! There's only one way up this building so just camp the stairs and aim down sight with a shotgun! Here, buy your loadout so you can go back to your comfortable safe space mentality!

Every. Single. Thing. In Warzone is designed to help casuals win. This is why you hear people on here, on Reddit, in real life say how they have more fun on Warzone because they 'can get loads of kills,' without realising the game has such a low TTK, and the game is designed to give the 'camper' the advantage. It's genius really when you think about it.

Now I have over 1,100 wins on Apex so what I'm going to say below I believe I have a strong opinion on it:

Now Respawn must be worried. They must be seeing their numbers drop. Because simply put, Apex is the damn opposite of a casual BR. It's by nature very competitive, which is very cool and all, my friends who are Cod vets and can drop 30/40 kills in Cod can't get 1 or 2 kills in Apex, because the game forces you to think outside the box. Anyone can flank and be anywhere, you can't kill your enemies in 3 bullets, even if you got lucky you've got their 2 squamates right behind them, you can't camp the stairs because there's 4 different ways to get into that building. You can't buy your loadout, you have to scavenge and fight a team with a good loadout with your crappy guns and win out of skill.

It's a very different beast and in my opinion is actually Apex downfall. The game is TOO competitive that the skill gap is so huge that the developers had to implement very very strong skill based matchmaking. So much that all the pros and top 10% of players are ALWAYS playing against each other. Otherwise a single squad can roll into a casual lobby and not just do good, but absolutely massacre the whole lobby.

So what now? I genuinely believe that Respawn are slowly losing the casual playerbase to Warzone and other games, which means even more stricter SBMM, which means an even more tougher experience for the people who had to 'get gud', this is why they're implementing Duos, after being adamant about not adding it for a whole year, anyways saying it will split up the playerbase, it's not how the game is intended to be played etc etc etc. Warzone has forced their hand to fix up. And this is why competition is a beautiful thing.

+1

Sep 28, 2019
Permanent duos is freaking great! Makes it so when you get third partied much more manageable and the game still has that teamwork vibe, when you got a good squad with you. My only problem with solos, is that it's just a bunch of Pathfinders and wraiths running around the map and it makes it a bit generic for me.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
that what keeps me playing when I plays BR and it's 30-45 mins long and I get 1-2 kills per game because everyone is campy I lose interest. Having 8-9 kills per game make me feel so much better even if I lose! This is why I lived titanfall even if I sucked I felt like I did something kills bots etc...

Yup, having more fun with Warzone for sure