• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Dunkey should just shut the fuck up about JRPGs.

He doesn't like the genre and that's fine, but it's really dumb for him to bash the game and then get mad when people get annoyed that he hates a perfectly good JRPG for being a JRPG.

I'm a huge jrpg fan and I love both xbc2 and octopath traveler, but I enjoyed Dunkey's reviews of both games because I know he's completely out of his element playing jrpgs and I find his complete inability to comprehend the battle systems hilarious. The people who actually are influenced by Dunkey's reviews to buy or not buy a game were 99.9% never going to buy the game anyways.

Xpike

Oct 25, 2017

He doesn't like the genre and that's fine, but it's really dumb for him to bash the game and then get mad when people get annoyed that he hates a perfectly good JRPG for being a JRPG.
idk about you but his Xenoblade 2 review was full of things I tolerated because I liked the game but would definitely find dumb otherwise
But yeah guess people should only give their opinions on games if they're positive

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
dunkey has even less of a point than his original video, which i criticized heavily when it came out

reviewers give too high of a score to games, but also theyre bad when they give too low of a score to games! also the gaming community is dumbfucks for buying the games from companies they claim to hate or whatever. not really sure what he was going for but its clear he dismissed any criticism of the last video as "whining" and didn't learn shit. stay a fucking clown.

Lusamine

Oct 25, 2017
I've read/watched many IGN reviews and they consistently have a problem with the content of the review hardly ever matching the score they give.
So that's a no.
Their video reviews are their compressed written reviews so it misrepresents their "bulk" in an attempt to be fair to consumers.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
idk about you but his Xenoblade 2 review was full of things I tolerated because I liked the game but would definitely find dumb otherwise
But yeah guess people should only give their opinions on games if they're positive
I liked Xenoblade 2 quite a bit, but yeah, there was a lot of dumb stuff in that game and I won't deny that.

My problem is that Dunkey is pretty vocal about disliking anime and turn-based combat, and then he goes and plays games that are anime and/or have turn based combat, and makes a video shitting on them when it was obvious that the game wasn't for him from the get-go.

It's like a Youtuber repeatedly talking about how they hate Call of Duty and then reviewing the newest game anyway just so they can bash it. Criticism is fine, but some of his videos (the Octopath one especially) don't seem like they're in good faith at all.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
So that's a no.
Their video reviews are their compressed written reviews so it misrepresents their "bulk" in an attempt to be fair to consumers.

I literally said I've read a lot of their reviews as well. But lets conveniently ignore that fact.

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I liked Xenoblade 2 quite a bit, but yeah, there was a lot of dumb stuff in that game and I won't deny that.

My problem is that Dunkey is pretty vocal about disliking anime and turn-based combat, and then he goes and plays games that are anime and/or have turn based combat, and makes a video shitting on them when it was obvious that the game wasn't for him from the get-go.

It's like a Youtuber repeatedly talking about how they hate Call of Duty and then reviewing the newest game anyway just so they can bash it. Criticism is fine, but some of his videos (the Octopath one especially) don't seem like they're in good faith at all.
Why do his 'reviews' have to be in 'good faith'? He's not a news outlet, he's a YouTuber who has basically created a character out of his opinions and makes humorous, easily digestible videos that hit on the same tried and true beats that his audience likes.

Taking Dunkey seriously or getting bent out of shape by his mocking sort of makes you part of the joke.

Musubi

Oct 25, 2017

So should someone be confined to their own little weird bubble? Like what good does that do if someone just reviews things that they like all the time. Its good to branch out of your comfort zone every once in awhile and give things a shot you haven't before. Dunkey literally also addresses this very point in the video.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think people complained about the low score in Days Gone because it didn't make much sense? IGN gives good scores to games that have the same problems. It felt out of left field, especially considering that Days Gone is one of the better open world games in recent years. Some consistency would be nice.

I don't really care though, I've learned that the review mill isn't useful to me. Too driven by hype/trend/emotion -- I don't really listen to reviews, and get my info from watching gameplay videos and making education assumptions based on what I know of the developer.

Deleted member 28131

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I didn't know about that Days Gone review from IGN until this video but that backlash is hilarious.

What got people to be so attached to that game before it came out? Crackdown 3 got mediocre to okay reviews across the board and there was no anger for that. Is this a Playstation thing?

Absolutely. IGN comment section on PS4 exclusives is always a laugh, especially if the game gets a mediocre score. People foam at the mouth over that stuff.

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I know the "LOL, ign" thing is a meme but that site is the most popular and worst of all for reviews. Im glad theyre feeding families by maintaning the scores high on metacritic along side the other sites with 7-10 AAA review scale.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
dunkey has even less of a point than his original video, which i criticized heavily when it came out

reviewers give too high of a score to games, but also theyre bad when they give too low of a score to games! also the gaming community is dumbfucks for buying the games from companies they claim to hate or whatever. not really sure what he was going for but its clear he dismissed any criticism of the last video as "whining" and didn't learn shit. stay a fucking clown.
I think you might need to go re-watch the video, that wasn't his point. He was saying that game reviewers get backlash for giving low scores more than they do for giving scores that may be too high for a game. That is highlighted by the Day's Gone section of his video.
I think people complained about the low score in Days Gone because it didn't make much sense? IGN gives good scores to games that have the same problems. It felt out of left field, especially considering that Days Gone is one of the better open world games in recent years. Some consistency would be nice.

I don't really care though, I've learned that the review mill isn't useful to me. Too driven by hype/trend/emotion -- I don't really listen to reviews, and get my info from watching gameplay videos and making education assumptions based on what I know of the developer.
6.5 wasn't too far off from consensus from the rest of the critic community on Day's Gone. The game has a 71 MC average.

I think it may be a case where, critics, who often have to play many open-world games for their job, got either burned out or were left unimpressed. Gamers, who are not obligated to play every open-world game, may come in more ready to accept something like Day's Gone, flaws and all.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia

So games can only be reviewed by people who are predisposed to like them from the get-go...?

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn

Yo he even makes it a point in his video that people who review games need to step out of their comfort zone to actually give games a chance to turn their opinions around.

Musubi

Oct 25, 2017
I'm ignoring that "fact" because it contradicts your statement on "bulk of the content".
giphy.gif

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I really loved Octopath Traveler and was not offended by his video trashing it, I was probably even entertained. People in this community get really weird about somebody criticizing, or even just thoughtlessly dunking, a thing they like. Other people disliking something really shouldn't affect your enjoyment of it that much.

*goes back to playing battleborn*

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
Roger Ebert had it easy.
Shitting on game journalists and IGN is so 2012.

Leave them alone. They are a endangered species. Like, 15 of them still exist earning full time wages. You won already.
Seriously.

The only jobs left for game writers nowadays are either completely voluntary or require 1-2 articles a day just to earn $150 a month.

At what point is a person qualified to review something?
I've been writing reviews for over a decade and honestly... I don't have a fucking clue.

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
Why are gamers so obsessed with reviews? Why people care so much about random people throwing subjective numbers around?

At the end of the they the only thing that matters is how you felt playing the game. There are poor rated games that Iove, high rated games that I hate. There are entire game genres that I can't stand, no matter how acclaimed the games are... The whole thing is purely subjective.

The metacritic score only helps me to single out an unplayable mess, usually everything above 6~7 might be enjoyable depending on your affinity with the game.

Well, from my own experience, I'll use Metacritic and a variety of opinions for games I am on the fence about. If I see a game that is interesting but I'm not sure that I'll like it, I'll wait until impressions are out before buying it. It helps save me money on games that just don't sound like my cup of tea. And yes I do tend to read and watch as many reviews as possible. I don't find it weird if people use the opinion of others to decide if they want to buy a game or not

But I do agree that reviewers seem afraid of giving big triple A releases anything lower than an 8. While they are entitled to their opinion, I'm curious how many actually give a game a score outta social pressure

virtua_44

Jan 16, 2019
You guys act as if Dunkey's opinion on the game is somehow very important. It's not! I feel like this is so obvious but also apparently isnt

its just a videogame. he doesnt like the videogame. he made a comedic video talking about why he doesnt like it. so what?? this is a real question by the way. feel free to answer bc reading comments from the gaming community truly makes me feel like im losing touch with reality.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
His octopath video was bad. He needs to get over it.

I'm a big dunkey fan but yeah, the video was easily one of his worst. I have no problem with someone roasting a game I like, I can easily laugh at flaws in any game. But his Octopath review was just lame because it was clear he only played pieces of the demo, and one of the two big jokes of the video was him purposefully using the battle system incorrectly against a level one enemy.

I usually think his reviews are actually good as legitimate reviews and valuable, but that one was phoned in.

Deleted member 16657

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's a decent point in there about "why is this person reviewing a game in a genre they don't even like". It crops up as a complaint every time by people who I think are both probably a little too invested in metacritic and also seemingly take it personally when someone doesn't like a thing that they like. Someone who doesn't like a game genre normally is well worth reviewing a game in a genre they normally dislike. Because there's going to be a shit load of people out there who are in exactly the same position. Perhaps they're considering giving the game a try. If they see someone who is just like them reviewing the game it's a million time more useful to them than a long term fan waxing lyrical.

Man, great point made in the video and great post here. This video has me thinking, I'd love to find some reviews for strategy games for people that don't typically enjoy strategy games (like me!)

NHarmonic.

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Could it have been Pokemon ORAS? I still don't get why people were hung up over Too Much Water when that is the single most consistent criticism I have seen about that game or at least the GBA games its based on

It was a weird criticism i think, specially if you compare the time you are actually surfing/diving in Emerald compared to ORAS. The remakes eliminated most of that.

If anything, the greatest flaw of the remakes is how easy and boring they are. They are absolutely devoid of any challenge or learning curve, and that's something i wish reviewers would have focused more on.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
At what point is a person qualified to review something?
It's not so much about qualification as it is the value of your opinion from your audience and potential audience. You don't NEED to have the expertise to be a reviewer, but the group of people that value that insight might not hold your thoughts with the same weight as someone who does. Having said that, the notion by a few that you cannot critique something unless you yourself can do it/have done it is grating for me. Because more often that not I see it from ravid fanboys/fangirls who cannot take negative criticism without resorting to it as a defensive mechanism.

Deleted member 16657

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

But like he said in the video, if he just avoided the genre entirely he wouldn't find the standout games that transcend the genre for him.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
There's a decent point in there about "why is this person reviewing a game in a genre they don't even like". It crops up as a complaint every time by people who I think are both probably a little too invested in metacritic and also seemingly take it personally when someone doesn't like a thing that they like. Someone who doesn't like a game genre normally is well worth reviewing a game in a genre they normally dislike. Because there's going to be a shit load of people out there who are in exactly the same position. Perhaps they're considering giving the game a try. If they see someone who is just like them reviewing the game it's a million time more useful to them than a long term fan waxing lyrical.

A counterpoint to this is that if you let someone that doesn't like the genre, and thus really doesn't understand it or its appeal, then you certainly run the risk of putting out a review like that of IGN's infamous Football Manager review. A review that's so bad that IGN pulled it and apologized for it and it's often cited as one of the worst from any major outlet. But it's simply just a review from someone that doesn't like those types of games.

Glass Arrows

Jan 10, 2019
A counterpoint to this is that if you let someone that doesn't like the genre, and thus really doesn't understand it or its appeal, then you certainly run the risk of putting out a review like that of IGN's infamous Football Manager review. A review that's so bad that IGN pulled it and apologized for it and it's often cited as one of the worst from any major outlet. But it's simply just a review from someone that doesn't like those types of games.

I think this is all rather dependent on what we expect reviews to be in the first place.

Typically we assume that a good review will be from someone who understands the fundamental appeal of a certain genre because it means they can (ideally) give more insightful or detailed feedback, because they know what works and what doesn't. After all, you typically wouldn't ask someone who doesn't know a whole lot about a given subject to weigh in.

That being said I do think there is some merit to the idea that it's worth it sometimes to get an alternative or outsider perspective, and that this can be interesting to read even if you are an enthusiast already. Sometimes things get very insular and you need a fresh pair of eyes. This does assume a couple of things though, like a genuine good faith effort from the person in question to try and understand the game on its own merits.

Which, bringing it back to dunkey, I'm not sure what people were expecting from him? I mean in general terms it's not great to get ''too'' hung up on what any "internet personality" thinks about what games you like or dislike, but for dunkey it just seems especially weird because while he does try to be serious or make legitimate points sometimes, that's mostly not what his videos are about. He has a very particular character and shtick. He's someone you watch to see the funny, not because you want an insightful and detailed review. That doesn't mean he can't be criticized of course, but I don't see the point in getting too hung up on it.

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
Video seems less about critics and more about internet vitriol.

And yeah, people can stand to be less defensive about a low score. Or even criticism. Even "wrong" criticism.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
It's just so funny to see people say that his opinion about, say, JRPGs, shouldn't be valued since he apparently dislike the genre and yet at the same time the thread about him and Kingdom Hearts 3 has fifteen pages in here.

So his opinion is not important for many of us and yet at the same time his opinion is also very important for many of us, lol.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
There is value in reviews from people who aren't knowledgeable of the subject matter to see if it can convince them to become fans. The whole discussion is just further proof why all reviews need to do away with "objective" scores and replace them with subjective impressions like what kotaku or gx does.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of scores definitely feel inflated in order to dodge internet wrath. It's way easier to say 9/10 and then let the internet sort it out. The vitrol from giving a game too high of a score likely does not match the vitrol of giving an anticipated game a low grade. I'm not saying reviewers lie in their reviews, but you get a better understanding of the games highs and lows if you, ya know, actually read the review instead of looking at the score.

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think you might need to go re-watch the video, that wasn't his point. He was saying that game reviewers get backlash for giving low scores more than they do for giving scores that may be too high for a game. That is highlighted by the Day's Gone section of his video.
It never actually matters what dunkey's actual argument is because it's so confused you form it into basically whatever you want it to be.

Does it really matter at all that games get higher scores? Realistically a negative score is going to harm a game while a positive one can help. Games overall are at a good place at least quality wise.

Beyond this point, Dunkey only really looks at a small pool of both the gaming community and gaming reviewing in the video yet implies this is the broader trend of both. It's nonsense. IGN is hardly all of video game reviews and handpicked youtube comments are not all of the gaming community.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People shouldn't get so attached to their hype regarding games to the point where they seem to attach their pride to its review scores. Maybe then they wouldn't act like such babies when a reviewer ""dares""" to think the game is anything less than great. Getting upset and having melt downs over game or any type of media reviews is so fucking toxic and childish yet for whatever reason people, even on this site, still do it.

SmokedSalmon

Apr 1, 2019
You guys act as if Dunkey's opinion on the game is somehow very important. It's not! I feel like this is so obvious but also apparently isnt

its just a videogame. he doesnt like the videogame. he made a comedic video talking about why he doesnt like it. so what?? this is a real question by the way. feel free to answer bc reading comments from the gaming community truly makes me feel like im losing touch with reality.
I wish everyone could view reviews in this way, myself included at times. In the end it indeed absolutely doesn't matter wether or not someone else likes a game or not.
It's funny how you mention feeling like your losing touch with reality. There are tons of games that I like that end up getting (seemingly) trashed by the gaming community and I'm often left thinking if I'm losing touch with reality. Like why does everyone hate this thing that I love? What's wrong with me?
Maybe its a defense thing? Perhaps comments and comedic videos come off as an attack on people. I know I've been guilty of feeling this way before.

Beyond this point, Dunkey only really looks at a small pool of both the gaming community and gaming reviewing in the video yet implies this is the broader trend of both. It's nonsense. IGN is hardly all of video game reviews and handpicked youtube comments are not all of the gaming community.

This is a fair point. For instance: "Last time I talked about game critics they had an embarrassing meltdown on twitter. Then they plagiarized this guy's review and described how Star Wars makes you feel like a Jedi."
Dunkey in many ways unfairly lumps a lot of people together. Not all critics had a meltdown over his previous game critics video. Every single game critic didn't plagiarize one review. Not everyone was saying Star Wars makes you feel like a Jedi.
I would like to imagine that Dunkey expects his viewers to be able to separate fact from comedy, but I can see how he likes to handle things in very broad strokes can create problem.

JaxiPup

Dec 23, 2017
Massachusetts
Its real funny how subjectivity is thrown out the window when it comes to game critique. Especially regarding a personality who's made his fame off his quirky insight and often exaggerated statements, yet folks will malign his opinion if it doesn't match their own.
Kinda the key point he made, especially with those two 20+ minute videos on his brief octopath video. Saying 'stay away from things you dislike' is really baseless criticism, furthered by his opening to the original octopath video where he talks about discovering great games by dipping into things he would have ignored otherwise.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
A lot of scores definitely feel inflated in order to dodge internet wrath. It's way easier to say 9/10 and then let the internet sort it out. The vitrol from giving a game too high of a score likely does not match the vitrol of giving an anticipated game a low grade. I'm not saying reviewers lie in their reviews, but you get a better understanding of the games highs and lows if you, ya know, actually read the review instead of looking at the score.
Thank you.

Both the industry and community's obsession with scores* drives me absolutely nuts. Next time I write a review, maybe I'll just post a ton of gibberish, and then the score. Nobody reads the words anyway.

*If it isn't scores, then it's the goddamn metacritic rating.

Thanks for this as well.