• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Exit Music

Nov 13, 2017
I love a good dungeon. For my money, Bethesda is hard to beat. Skyrim and Fallout 4 rightfully take a lot of flack for eliminating a lot of the RPG elements that made the earlier games so special, but they still make some of the best dungeons around.

What games feature your favorite dungeons? All genres are welcome!

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like MMOs tend to win this category, because games like WoW pour a lot of beautiful design work and narrative hooks into each of their "one-off" dungeons, compared to the copy-paste style of many single-player games. But it is a totally different type of thing.

OP
OP
Exit Music

Exit Music

Nov 13, 2017
I feel like MMOs tend to win this category, because games like WoW pour a lot of beautiful design work and narrative hooks into each of their "one-off" dungeons, compared to the copy-paste style of many single-player games. But it is a totally different type of thing.
You're right, WoW definitely has great dungeons, too. Even though I played that game for 10 years I don't think about it as often as I should.

Oct 27, 2017
www.rockpapershotgun.com

How Unexplored generates great roguelike dungeons

This is The Mechanic, where Alex Wiltshire invites developers to discuss the inner workings of their games. This time, …

Unexplored took my breath away with the dungeon generation.
I read this just yesterday! His abstraction of what a "key" and a "lock" to almost anything was a really cool concept and I can see how it allows a lot of varied types of dungeons to be generated.

On topic, I'll go with Zelda because across the entire series I don't think any other series really comes close

Nov 4, 2017
Ffxiv dungeons can be a lot of fun.
Zelda probably takes it though.
I feel like in general old Jrpgs do a terrible job with their dungeon design.

The Boat

Oct 28, 2017
Skyrim and Fallout dungeons good? What? They're atrociously uninteresting.

My choice is also Zelda.

OP
OP
Exit Music

Exit Music

Nov 13, 2017
Skyrim and Fallout dungeons good? What? They're atrociously uninteresting.

My choice is also Zelda.
I guess it just depends on what you like. I think they're very immersive and there is always something interesting down there, either some kind of story or loot. I'm not that big on the Zelda puzzle dungeon.

Ailanthium

Oct 27, 2017
Just from word of mouth I'm going to assume it's FFXIV
Ffxiv dungeons can be a lot of fun.
Zelda probably takes it though.
I feel like in general old Jrpgs do a terrible job with their dungeon design.

Ehhh, I love FFXIV, but its dungeons are pretty hit-or-miss. The early dungeons are kind of annoying and the rewards for exploration are piddly, plus they have weird mechanics that make them annoying to run through later on. Later dungeons are a much more easygoing experience because they're all linear, so they end up becoming more like setpieces. I wouldn't really say they're designed that well, though, because now the only thing interesting about them is the bosses (which overall play better to FFXIV's strengths, gameplay-wise). I haven't played a ton of dungeon crawlers but I'd have to assume they have better level design than glorified straight roads.

Zukkoyaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Zelda pre-BotW and World of Warcraft are both excellent choices.

Early Pokemon games had some stellar dungeons.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
To me a good dungeon is designed as a believable place first and offers the feeling of a descent through somewhere that his its own sort of ecology and internal logic.

Blackrock Spire in World of Warcraft (Classic) is one that comes to mind. A giant city of evil orcs, dwarves, and dragons carved out inside of a volcano. Multiple entrances, multiple areas, huge underground spaces, crazy navigation and verticality, tons of side areas and optional bosses. It felt like a realization of 1st edition D&D style dungeon, where it wasn't really designed to feel like a game, more just like a big place that was there already doing its thing, that you're intruding into.

Dark Souls and Bloodborne, to me, are also sort of mega-dungeons. Even though you're ostensibly in different areas, the whole world is a hostile obstacle and not somewhere that you're really ever meant to "clear" or "conquer," only survive and pass through. The scale and the navigation are constantly toyed with, you meet strange NPCs along the way but never really make "friends," and the worlds have that same sort of labyrinthine, haphazard, interlocking nature that always makes them interesting to explore.

Other favorites:

- Durlag's Tower and Watcher's Keep from Baldur's Gate II
- Ultimecia's Castle from Final Fantasy VIII
- Clockwork Mansion from Dishonored 2
- Tower of Latria from Demon's Souls
- The Spencer Mansion in Resident Evil

From a gameplay point of view I also enjoy Zelda dungeons and the like (puzzle based) but they don't really excite me in the same way as some of the above examples because there isn't that same sense of exploration, like people actually LIVE there and were actually doing things before you arrived. My feelings on what a dungeon should be are really influenced by Gary Gygax and early pen and paper games, so my tastes skew accordingly.

I feel like truly great dungeons are surprisingly rare considering how often the word gets thrown around in gaming. Most of the time they're just a mashed together bunch of rooms full of monsters, without much semblance of ecology of life or forbiddenness. There's a lot to learn from the old pre-video game classics!

Last edited:

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
I don't play it anymore, but WoW had great dungeons and some amazing raids in it's time (also some that were bad but you can't bat perfect)

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I guess it just depends on what you like. I think they're very immersive and there is always something interesting down there, either some kind of story or loot. I'm not that big on the Zelda puzzle dungeon.
Loads of Skyrim's dungeons are all protected by the same match-3 puzzle, that has apparently stumped adventurers for thousands of years, yet can be solved by trial and error in matter of moments. It's Uncharted levels of 'this has stumped everyone but the PC for generations, you are an amazing archaeologist for having the logic skills of a toddler!'

I like a dungeon that tells a story as you go through- barracks and tables and kitchens for guards, warnings of traps protecting important ritual areas from being interfered with by low ranking enemies- and Bethesda does often get that stuff right though.

The Boat

Oct 28, 2017
To each one its own of course.
I find Bethesda's dungeons completely dull with next to zero thought put behind the layout, no interesting mechanics or themes, very little variety and very boring rewards. There are a few exceptions of course. To be fair, most dungeons in RPGs are like that.

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020
A Link to the Past, Ocarina of Time, and Twilight Princess. I like a lot of RPG dungeons too, but most of them are very similar to each other.

Tbh I think Bethesda games have extremely weak dungeons.

Oct 20, 2018
Brazil
Zelda dungeons (pre-BotW at least) are the definition of dungeons to me cause I need me some puzzles. Dungeons that are just enemy gauntlets or basic mazes are pretty boring to me. I loved my time with DQXI but it'd be even better if there was more to the dungeons in that game, for example.

trashbandit

Dec 19, 2019
I would say Bethesda is probably the worst at dungeons. They're design has tended towards making uninspired, circular dungeons lacking anything of interest, barring a handful of dungeons that clearly get more love than others. They're basically amusement park rides, but without the thrill.

It's a different style of dungeon, but FFXIV does setpiece dungeons really well, less in terms of interesting mechanics and more in terms of art design and spectacle.

Gurgelhals

Oct 27, 2017
Lufia II (SNES) and the Golden Sun Series (GBA/NDS) both have excellent dungeons with both relying mostly on interesting puzzles instead of making it just about finding your way through a monster-infested maze.

Also, Lufia II does away with random encounters. Monsters are visible and they only move when the player is moving, which adds another puzzle-like element to the whole thing.

svacina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
DuyFuN3.png

Mung

Nov 2, 2017
I love a good dungeon. For my money, Bethesda is hard to beat. Skyrim and Fallout 4 rightfully take a lot of flack for eliminating a lot of the RPG elements that made the earlier games so special, but they still make some of the best dungeons around.

What games feature your favorite dungeons? All genres are welcome!

I was about to come in here and say that I dunno about the best but Bethesda make the worst, then I saw your post.

You serious? The dungeons in skyrim are atrocious and all look and feel the same.

FFXIV has excellent dungeons.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It'd be some DRPG and definitely not the open world game where you dive into boring tombs with dried out mummies and the same puzzles/traps over and over again.

mikhailguy

Banned
Jun 20, 2019
Definitely Zelda.

Golden Sun has decent ones for an old school style jrpg.

Last Guardian/Ico -- all dungeon though

fr0st

Oct 28, 2017
You serious? The dungeons in skyrim are atrocious and all look and feel the same.

FFXIV has excellent dungeons.
What a contradiction lol

FFXIV dungeons are all hallways with braindead mobs and bosses. They put all the downtime mechanics in there too for some reason.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
I have Etrian Odyssey 4 and I want to play the others but for the prices they go for, I'd rather not play them on my 3DS. Really hoping a port collection to the Switch, would pay handsomely
Gotta wait for a sale. Sega and Atlus had one last October. They usually go $10 each one.

And if you hacked your 3DS, you can rip your games and play them on Citra. After abandoning EOV a few weeks after release, last year I played and finished it using Citra without any issue.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Dungeons have never really been FFXIV's strong point, so I'm legit surprised to see so many people mentioning it in here.

What the FFXIV team excels in is good boss design and good art direction. The actual dungeons themselves have long since been linear lines with gameplay so limited that a handful of AI can clear them without issue every time. They'd almost all be pretty forgettable if not for their boss battles.

Etrian Odyssey is the real answer here. By extension, Persona Q and Persona Q2 as well. Some incredibly well crafted labyrinths in those games.