• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Robust character building elements - sure, it's D&D. Dialogue options, well, not really. The entire game is linear and your choices have no impact whatsoever, unlike traditional cRPGs.
When the person you were quoting earlier mentioned they were taking RPG elements out I think at least part of that criticism was that it sounds like character building is highly pared down. I also don't think this new interpretation is looking to give you even the "no impact" dialogue options of the other Dark Alliance games, and I think you representing those games as lacking RPG elements isn't really on the money. This sounds like a very different beast from the prior games where that's concerned, to me.

Alexious

Executive Editor for Games at Wccftech
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
When the person you were quoting earlier mentioned they were taking RPG elements out I think at least part of that criticism was that it sounds like character building is highly pared down. I also don't think this new interpretation is looking to give you even the "no impact" dialogue options of the other Dark Alliance games, and I think you representing those games as lacking RPG elements isn't really on the money. This sounds like a very different beast from the prior games where that's concerned, to me.

Those games were already pared down in terms of RPG elements compared to cRPGs, and looked down upon at the time. That's what I'm pointing out - this was always a hack-and-slash version of Baldur's Gate made specifically for consoles. I'm not seeing any significant differences as of yet.

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Those games were already pared down in terms of RPG elements compared to cRPGs, and looked down upon at the time. That's what I'm pointing out - this was always a hack-and-slash version of Baldur's Gate made specifically for consoles. I'm not seeing any significant differences as of yet.
Their interview makes the game sound pretty darn different to me so I'll just agree to disagree.

Alexious

Executive Editor for Games at Wccftech
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Their interview makes the game sound pretty darn different to me so I'll just agree to disagree.

It is just too early to make any judgment. However, Dark Alliance was never meant to be a true roleplaying game, even back then, which is why I'm not surprised. We'll see closer to release if they have really stripped this of any and all RPG elements - those few it had in the first place.

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It is just too early to make any judgment. However, Dark Alliance was never meant to be a true roleplaying game, even back then, which is why I'm not surprised. We'll see closer to release if they have really stripped this of any and all RPG elements - those few it had in the first place.
My main issue is with the "those few it had" statement. For a console game Dark Alliance had pretty expansive character building options, it's an RPG any way you slice it. It compares pretty favorably in level of depth to plenty of modern "RPGs" even, being less complex than a CRPG is a pretty low bar. This is why I find the idea of "well it wasn't really an RPG anyway" pretty darn misleading.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Dark Alliance 1 was one of my favorite games growing up. I'd absolutely kill for an HD port of it and 2 (which I never played), and I hope this game turns out well.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Ah please capture that dark alliance magic - mercurial water physics and highly detailed barrel destruction.

drock5k

Aug 3, 2018
I don't know what to do with that trailer. Is this a FPS now? The old Dark Alliance games were pretty amusing and really a lot of fun with multiple players.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
YaWaAYo.gif

Jaxar

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Yeah it was a terrible trailer but I'm still keen to know more about this one. Could be pretty good if we're lucky.

DharmaBum

Sep 5, 2018
whew boy, sucked all my excitement for another D&D ip out with that trailer. DA was always just an "ok" arpg. Was hoping for something...better?

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like they're doing to Dark Alliance what they did to Neverwinter Nights with Legends of the Sword Coast.

RIP

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
My main issue is with the "those few it had" statement. For a console game Dark Alliance had pretty expansive character building options, it's an RPG any way you slice it. It compares pretty favorably in level of depth to plenty of modern "RPGs" even, being less complex than a CRPG is a pretty low bar. This is why I find the idea of "well it wasn't really an RPG anyway" pretty darn misleading.
I imagine it will have SOME RPG elements or else they would have dropped the "RPG" part from the "action RPG" description.

Harbinger00

Oct 27, 2017
I read all the comments before I watched the trailer, and if anything you all undersold how bad that was.

hopefully the actual game is good, I really enjoyed the old ones.

Deleted member 3082

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It's not like the series was ever about dialogue choices or deep roleplaying though; your stats were (almost) completely combat oriented; causing more melee damage / carrying more loot (STR), more ranged damage / passive damage resistance (DEX), more HP / faster HP regen (CON), more EXP per kill (WIS), more MP / faster MP regen (INT) and increase sale / reduce buying prices at NPCs (CHA). That's it, Charisma is literally just for money.

Where the real character building was in the Spells and Feats, which acted like Diablo II's skills (except in a straight list rather than a tree; Champions of Norrath used a skill tree though). Because they were meant to be played exclusively with a controller, the combat felt more action-y than Diablo-style games (built to be largely mouse-driven) and ended up more like a Zelda game, in a way. The only game that has come close to capturing that feel over the years (and believe me, I've looked) is Victor Vran, and it still wasn't quite "there."

My thinking is that they'll likely come up with completely different interpretations for skills/spells/feats from 5e, throw in any applicable feats, and tie it to character progression for that hamster wheel feel (though I would vastly prefer the way DA 1&2 handled it where nothing was level gated except the points you spend).

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Trailer reminded me of

tenor.gif
So this is the next day and it's not near my bed time, this should no longer be funny...

Except I'm still laughing. Goddamn.

1. I really hope R.A. is involved.
2. Need a playable Artemis and Jarlaxle.

(I had the privilege of meeting Salvatore..The most down to earth author I've ever met. Even invited my friend and I to lunch.)
I don't think they'll be playable but they might make an appearance, Entreri, anyway. Probably not Jarlaxle as it doesn't fit the timeline (though they're pretty vague about when exactly those events take place, since "after The Crystal Shard" could be... well, almost any time):

Since this takes place after The Crystal Shard, I was curious whether Crenshinibon would factor into Dark Alliance.

"I won't get into that part today because that relates more to the narrative aspects of the game. And it's a really good, astute, precise question that I wouldn't want to reveal at this point because I don't want to spoil anything for people," he said.

Likewise, since Artemis Entreri is still Drizzt's mortal enemy at this point, I asked if he would show up. "Same answer," Hattem said. Ditto for Errtu the Balor, one of Drizzt's deadliest foes at this time in the drow's history.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
The Surprising Adventures of Sir Digby Chicken Caesar finally gets its own video game.

Quick Ginger!

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This trailer didn't belong at the game awards. It was so bad, and only looked worse in the context of all of these other great games. The models and movements reminded me of old CG videos in PS1 games.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus, I just got this trailer again while taking an ad for bonuses in a mobile game. They're actually paying to put that God awful trailer in front of more people. That's just not smart!

Ze_Shoopuf

Jun 12, 2018
worst trailer. someone was obsessed with technique without considering whether it sells the game or not.

anyway, i want more Dark Alliance.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under five gold? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Drizzt Do'Urden!

Last edited:

Deleted member 3082

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under five gold? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Drizzt Do'Urden!

I nominate this for post of the year. The perfect edit, the text intro, the way you've captured the moment of surprised elation that came crashing down into nonsense. I applaud you.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017

This should be in the DADDA OT. (Yes, I am dubbing this game "DADDA", you're welcome all.)

Bravo.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
The best thing about this trailer is that it has brought us all together to rejoice in the brilliance of Mitchell and Webb.