• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ombala

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I was so hyped when he said Dark Alliance, then the trailer started, its like the removed everything except the characters that I liked about the old games.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
DnD really is on fire lately damn. The trailer was kind of bad though.

Excited for whatever this ends up being.

Dandy

Oct 25, 2017
When this was teased I was really excited for a new D&D RPG... But based on the description on the game, it is definitely something I have zero interest in.

Also, that trailer was GARBAGE.

Slime

Oct 25, 2017
I just think it's weird that in this era of big budget western RPGs, especially when they're re-releasing all the old BioWare and Obsidian games, we still don't have a solid, blockbuster, single-player D&D RPG on the horizon.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
The trailer was magical.
Hopefully they'll have some proper RPG elements, because it's just sounding like a co-op Demon Stone so far, which I was always kinda eh about.

Vash

Oct 28, 2017
Oh wow, I was actually hyped there was a new Dark Alliance game. Then I read about what they're going to do with it and all my initial hype just died down. 3rd person, hardly any RPG elements? In a time when there are great isometric ARPGs, Grim Dawn, Path of Exile, to name but two, they could've added so much to it.

They're calling it a spiritual successor to the original Dark Alliance games, but they might as well have used a completely original name and that way created a new IP. From what I've read, this is anything but, and it's simply using the Dark Alliance name to try and pull one over on those who have been vocal about wanting a new DA game for years.

So yeah, bit disappointed. Plus, from the reactions here, I gathered that the trailer didn't help either.

Banzai

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Oh wow, I was actually hyped there was a new Dark Alliance game. Then I read about what they're going to do with it and all my initial hype just died down. 3rd person, hardly any RPG elements? In a time when there are great isometric ARPGs, Grim Dawn, Path of Exile, to name but two, they could've added so much to it.

To look at it another way: there already are great isometric ARPGs, why not have one in third person? The old Dark Alliance games were very button mashy anyway, I don't see how 3rd person couldn't do it the same way or even better. For one, model quality will be prioritized more since they will be right in your face.

About the RPG elements part I'm with ya. I can't imagine there won't be any active skills to spice up combat, but I wonder about looting and leveling.

Vash

Oct 28, 2017
To look at it another way: there already are great isometric ARPGs, why not have one in third person? The old Dark Alliance games were very button mashy anyway, I don't see how 3rd person couldn't do it the same way or even better. For one, model quality will be prioritized more since they will be right in your face.

About the RPG elements part I'm with ya. I can't imagine there won't be any active skills to spice up combat, but I wonder about looting and leveling.

I loved Dark Alliance because of the isometric view. It had fast combat, awesome graphics for the time (the water blew my mind when I first saw it move like that), fun with physics, and it was just very enjoyable. Going 3rd person fundamentally alters the gameplay. It might work, but I have a feeling it's going to throw away that what made the DA games so much fun.

Weeaboom

Banned
Jan 25, 2018
1. I really hope R.A. is involved.
2. Need a playable Artemis and Jarlaxle.

(I had the privilege of meeting Salvatore..The most down to earth author I've ever met. Even invited my friend and I to lunch.)

Deleted member 3082

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
3rd person, not isometric.

Also sounds like they are stripping most of the RPG elements out (great idea in a D&D game...)

The change in perspective is definitely disappointing, I always found the Snowblind Engine games to feel more like top-down Zelda games (albeit with a shitload of loot and no puzzles) than Diablo and it's many many many clones. Switching to a third person view will definitely make them feel less like dungeon crawlers, but I'm willing to give it a shot.

Stripping out the RPG elements, however, I think is being misread by most people here. The Dark Alliance games didn't have a lot of RPG elements to begin with; stats didn't matter much, it was mostly skills and weapons (for example, in the first game there's no reason for the Sorceress not to be in heavy armor and fighting in melee range). There wasn't any character interaction beyond NPC exposition so actual "role playing" was never a factor either.

What I hope the developer is going for here is more emphasis on action and less on stats. Maybe they just didn't explain it well, I'll wait until we see some actual gameplay but I'm definitely wary of the game now when it should have been a slam dunk.

Last edited:

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
Who....came up with this and thought this was a good idea?
"You know what people like!? Really hilariously looking stiff go-pro angles looking at people's faces!"
tenor.gif
Drun drun drun drun drun dudududuuuuuduuuuududu!

So glad I am not the first one who thought of Sir Digby Chicken Ceasar.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Who's developing this? What consoles is it on? Did they seriously just announce a co-op D&D RPG with a CG trailer and no details?

C'mon, WotC.

Athrum

Oct 18, 2019
That trailer had everything I should've liked, Dark Aliance, Drizzt, In Flames, but sweet jeebus it was a horrid trailer.

Pixel Grotto

Oct 27, 2017
This looked kind of shite. Almost terribly so. But the last few seconds seem to reveal a good game hiding behind a truly bizarre trailer, so we'll see. Certainly isn't what I imagined a Companions of the Hall game to look like.

ELrHVksXsAAKJy6

Also not really feeling Wulfgar's look; gimme the traditional depiction please.

Wonder when this game's supposed to take place, as well, since Wulfgar and Catti-brie have long since passed and been reincarnated as basically new people in current D&D lore

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Biggest laugh of the night although video game Vin Diesel came close.

Kientin

Oct 27, 2017
Don't think my emotions have been flipped so quick in years. I love Dark Alliance and I came to the trailer so excited and now I'm completely terrified haha. I hope it turns out good.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
So are Dark Alliance games strictly hack and slash games, or are there deeper RPG mechanics? I would expect a modern game based on D&D to maybe have things like dialogue options, or maybe non-combat options for dealing with enemies, or is this just an Action RPG with an emphasis on the Action?

Alexious

Executive Editor for Games at Wccftech
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
So are Dark Alliance games strictly hack and slash games, or are there deeper RPG mechanics? I would expect a modern game based on D&D to maybe have things like dialogue options, or maybe non-combat options for dealing with enemies, or is this just an Action RPG with an emphasis on the Action?

Dark Alliance games are strictly hack and slash games. Think Diablo, basically.

GungHo

Nov 27, 2017
This would be great shit to pipe into an enemy's VR headset. He'd be fucked up for a week.

FunkyPajamas

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wait, has there been a gameplay trailer? I thought what they showed was prerendered stuff.

So the gameplay is nothing like the Snowblind games?
I don't think what that poster is saying is strictly true. Dark Alliance games have both dialogue options and pretty robust character building elements.
Yup. Dark Alliance and the Champions of Norrath games had awesome skill trees. I don't think Diablo 3 compares to them in that regard.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Dreadful damn trailer. Thought everything looked very generic mmo like models and armour and shit.

Would have been better with some gameplay I think, felt like a cheap imitation for a high octane, cinematic, Blizzard trailers but with a really bland snow background, terrible cinematography choices, all the different models from goblins to shields just looked so boring.

Hoping it's just the game isn't supposed to be played at that perspective and everything looks better top down and it's fun to play but man what a dreadful way to show it.

Alexious

Executive Editor for Games at Wccftech
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I don't think what that poster is saying is strictly true. Dark Alliance games have both dialogue options and pretty robust character building elements.

Robust character building elements - sure, it's D&D. Dialogue options, well, not really. The entire game is linear and your choices have no impact whatsoever, unlike traditional cRPGs.

Oct 28, 2017
So wait they are stripping out the rpg stuff? I can work with a third person hack and slash but why? It isn't even D&D at that point let alone Deadly Alliance. Why even use the name?