• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SPELLJAMER CONFIRMED!

In reality I'd love more Eberon stuff and some other new D&D realms

Keith Baker has actually released another major Eberron book himself, Exploring Eberron, on dmsguild, as well as some other minor supplements, and he's got another big one coming later this year (focusing on Threshold, the area on the borders of Breland and Droaam). The fact that he does write his own books makes me think we're not likely to get more stuff from WotC, but we did have a full season of AL adventurers that were in Eberron, so it's hard to tell.

He's also got a podcast, a website where he answers questions (his recent article on trans rep in Eberron was really great), and a patreon to submit questions and get answers faster.

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
Dragonlance at least has major differences with the classes though. A bunch of classes straight up don't exist in Dragonlance, and mages are handed very differently (with the robe colors). Greyhawk and Forgotten Realms traditionally have identical mechanics and monsters.

Greyhawk isn't even different enough on a theme level to make a half setting book like with Ravenloft (where the other book was about Horror settings or adventures in general). Not saying it's out of the question, but they'd have to find a unique angle to market Greyhawk that doesn't just appear to be Forgotten Realms with a different coat of paint (I know it's not that, but that's what it would have the appearance of being if they don't change it significantly)
In the DMG they paint Grayhawk as a dark fantasy setting vs. FR sword and sorcery. So they probably have some ideas if I were to guess, but I kinda agree. I don't really see Grayhawk being all that interesting compared to what they still have left in FR.

OP
OP
Tabaxi

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
Dragonlance at least has major differences with the classes though. A bunch of classes straight up don't exist in Dragonlance, and mages are handed very differently (with the robe colors). Greyhawk and Forgotten Realms traditionally have identical mechanics and monsters.

Greyhawk isn't even different enough on a theme level to make a half setting book like with Ravenloft (where the other book was about Horror settings or adventures in general). Not saying it's out of the question, but they'd have to find a unique angle to market Greyhawk that doesn't just appear to be Forgotten Realms with a different coat of paint (I know it's not that, but that's what it would have the appearance of being if they don't change it significantly)

I agree with a lot of this, and I don't think a full on Greyhawk sourcebook is likely. But I could them doing what they did with Netherdeep (and to a lesser extent Strixhaven) and make it an adventure book set in Greyhawk. In that case, the similarity to FR wouldn't necessarily matter.

OP
OP
Tabaxi

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018

All this Spelljammer merchandise has to mean they're announcing Dark Sun.

Oct 27, 2017
Does Spelljammer even have that much traction. It was niche in the 80/90s when I was a teen playing the game. Like Mystara it has that gonzo vibe.